Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Look. You weren't alive neither were 99% of this forum when the Queen fleeced anybody. So don't pretend it's your money, or your special. We all pay taxes and it all goes to someone. Monarchy or not
It is the nations money. Regain the billions and maybe we would pay less tax or propetly fund the NHS. And the money aside a hereditary monarchy is fundamentallly unethical with added reinforcing of class and social/economic ineqality.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hence... Mr Wibble. Some greedy fecker will steal your lunch money. Be calm
Don't try to be patronising - you aren't very good at it. I'm perfectly calm and have zero expectation of things changing. And what has lunch money got to do with anything? You are not making any sense.

Why not just say that you like having a constitutional monarch and leave it at that rather than getting all defensive?

Charlie Foley

I hope her dogs are ok and don’t miss her too much. I don’t know how many of them are running around these days

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
When was the last time you met a die hard republican?
I'd say I was one but none of that makes me hard. I just think it is ludicrous that we have a hereditary monarchy. Doubly so in Australia, where I now live.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Well, the Duchy predates Britain, and the Earldom of Cornwall that it was formed from predates the Norman Conquest, so I’m still saying you’ll have a hard time paying back whoever is actually due anything.
It wouldn't be very hard to give all the stuff we stole back from other countries that we're proudly displaying in glass cases. That's something the monarchy could very easily do but actively choose not to. They could also stop having their private artifacts be exempted from the Cultural Property (Armed Conflicts) Act.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Never got why so many give the Royals a pass on their self interested meddling with our democracy. Queen's consent for example.

Seems like some mass form of Stockhome Syndrome to me.
The Queen, and now the King own 50,000 acres at Balmoral, another 20,000 acres at Sandringham, numerous palaces and grace & favour mansions, homes and apartments let alone the duchys etc (Duchies I guess). All passed on endlessly.

In 2004 the Queen asked the govt. to grant her money from the then Poverty Fund, intended for the poorer families, struggling businesses and charities so that she could heat the palaces and her homes. This was the richest woman in the World I assume because no one truly knows where all of the money is.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I forget that republican is a thing outside of the US. In the US Republicans will vote in anyone that'll do exactly that, it's their wet dream.
Ahhh. Gotcha. I wasn't thinking US type Republicans in this context.

neverdie

Monarchy or not
is the problem not that monarchy implies some people are born better than other people? born to be better. and for no reason except historical "might is right" when their family members killed loads of people to get to where they are.

it's a mad institution. time to wrap it up now that the queen has died.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well, the Duchy predates Britain, and the Earldom of Cornwall that it was formed from predates the Norman Conquest, so I’m still saying you’ll have a hard time paying back whoever is actually due anything.
Which is irrelevant as the stolen/looted wealth and privilege has continued to be passed down and built upon. They should be nationalised, retired politically and out on wages for their tourist attraction value. Of course they would still likely have billions squirreled away in tax havens.

neverdie

Which is irrelevant as the stolen/looted wealth and privilege has continued to be passed down and built upon. They should be nationalised, retired politically and out on wages for their tourist attraction value. Of course they would still likely have billions squirreled away in tax havens.
yep.

the only reason republican sentiment has been kept so low is that people liked the queen even if they didn't like the monarchy. don't see charles continuing that and his children can get fecked.

Zarlak

is the problem not that monarchy implies some people are born better than other people? born to be better. and for no reason except historical "might is right" when their family members killed loads of people to get to where they are.

it's a mad institution. time to wrap it up now that the queen has died.
Exactly this. We should stop admiring a family made up of some very, very questionable people who are supposedly better than us from birth for no real reason, but yet are as fallible as the rest of us and in some special cases far more abhorrent but yet we elevate them and pay for their entire life. As a concept it's very, very strange. There are arguments against them and very few arguments for them besides 'they make lots of tourist money' which there is no evidence for.

As a bonus, the valid winner of a free and fair democratic election process would no longer have to go ask their permission to govern, which in itself is incredibly stupid. 'The people have spoken, but will you let me?' it's even more dumb because she'd never say no, it's literally just all a bullshit façade for the sake of appearances and serves no purpose. We'd be better off simply by being a society that no longer conformed to a ludicrous notion.

Carolina Red

Staff
How is the land “stolen” if it was legitimately obtained under the feudal system of the Middle Ages?

Did William steal it from Harold, too?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Isn't royal tourism far more lucrative to Britain than the cost of having and maintaining royalty ?

Zarlak

Isn't royal tourism far more lucrative to Britain than the cost of having and maintaining royalty ?
Seemingly a myth. Often said but never any evidence for it. In addition, the majority of the UKs tourism has nothing to do with the monarchy and the last time I checked we barely cracked the top 10 countries to visit by tourism numbers.

Charlie Foley

Exactly this. We should stop admiring a family made up of some very, very questionable people who are supposedly better than us from birth for no real reason, but yet are as fallible as the rest of us and in some special cases far more abhorrent but yet we elevate them and pay for their entire life. As a concept it's very, very strange. There are arguments against them and very few arguments for them besides 'they make lots of tourist money' which there is no evidence for.

As a bonus, the valid winner of a free and fair democratic election process would no longer have to go ask their permission to govern, which in itself is incredibly stupid. 'The people have spoken, but will you let me?' it's even more dumb because she'd never say no, it's literally just all a bullshit façade for the sake of appearances and serves no purpose. We'd be better off simply by being a society that no longer conformed to a ludicrous notion.
Well said.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Seemingly a myth. Often said but never any evidence for it. In addition, the majority of the UKs tourism has nothing to do with the monarchy and the last time I checked we barely cracked the top 10 countries to visit by tourism numbers.
I found this article interesting (towards the middle) where it states that "The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue".

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-british-royal-family-worth-the-money/278052/

Apparently the Royal Wedding a decade ago generated over £100m by itself.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And it would remain. And even if it didn't it doesn't justify having such an anachronistic and undemocratic form of government.

neverdie

Yeah but the brand value is much different when you have an actual monarch on the throne. I don't think the French are generating these kinds of numbers.

https://brandfinance.com/wp-content/uploads/1/brand_finance_monarchy_press_release.pdf
The intangible value, understood as the present value of the benefits that the Monarchy is expected to bring the UK economy over the years, constitutes the remaining £42 billion.
they can't put a solid figure on it. it's guess work. and the tangible value is just comprised of things the country already owns like land and the crown jewels.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I wonder if she didn't die earlier and they delayed the announcement to present a fiction that she died surrounded by her family? Would be a surprise given the palace have form for bullshit when it comes to such things.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wonder if she didn't die earlier and they delayed the announcement to present a fiction that she died surrounded by her family? Would be a surprise given the palace have form for bullshit when it comes to such things.
They definitely delayed the announcement but not by much since its hard to keep a lid on these things for long.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So Hastings wasn’t a battle, it was just a massive medieval heist.

That’s certainly a way to look at it.
Everything and anything passed down via a hereditary monarchy no matter what the circumstances belongs (or should) to the British people.

neverdie

it was just a massive medieval heist.
that's literally what the feudal system was. knights maintained themselves, and sometimes small armies, lords retained retinues of knights, and the king or queen was owed the loyalty of the lords. the knights went to war for money more often than not. these were private armies.

i don't think the argument, "it was legal in feudal times" makes much sense. feudalism died in britain centuries ago. the monarchy initially died with it but was brought back via counter revolutionaries.

Zarlak

I found this article interesting (towards the middle) where it states that "The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue".

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-british-royal-family-worth-the-money/278052/

Apparently the Royal Wedding a decade ago generated over £100m by itself.
That report is all estimates by a group that valued the Royal brand at 20 million at the time of the Royal wedding before they went back and changed their minds to 44 billion.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
So Hastings wasn’t a battle, it was just a massive medieval heist.

That’s certainly a way to look at it.
There was never a battle at Hastings. The battle was held 6 miles from Hastings at a site that later became the small town of ....Battle.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
They definitely delayed the announcement but not by much since its hard to keep a lid on these things for long.
I'm not thinking days but perhaps she died that morning when the medical observation announcement was made, giving the royals time to get to Balmoral to create the myth she died with her family around her. Not that it matters that much or bothers me either way but just something I wondered.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There was never a battle at Hastings. The battle was held 6 miles from Hastings at a site that later became the small town of ....Battle.
Just up the road from the suburbs or skirmish and accidental border incursion.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
they can't put a solid figure on it. it's guess work. and the tangible value is just comprised of things the country already owns like land and the crown jewels.
Exactly, tourists would hardly if ever see the Royals but instead the structures that will still be there, plus the brightly uniformed touristy soldiers.

Abizzz

I honestly think she died when the entire process was started yesterday afternoon. Maybe at noon. Then again with the medical attention available she may have been "kept alive" for everyone to say goodbye.