Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

phelans shorts

I wonder if all this has moved anyone into actually disliking the royal family and what it stands for when prior to this they were mostly indifferent?
Not so much all this nonsense, do think going from the reasonably placid kind looking old lady to her son will see a sharp royal family popularity drop though.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
@Revaulx what do you make of the music for the service? The Queen clearly liked Croft to have 2 of his pieces in the service but I can't lie and say I'm not a tad disappointed they aren't going to do Purcell's funeral sentences. Hopefully Weir's new piece is as good as the incredible Psalm 104 commissioned for Philip's funeral.

LARulz

It's absolutely crazy to see people spend the night there when they really didn't need to

Had a friend who said if Putin wanted to cause WW3/more chaos he may not get a better chance with a lot of world leaders etc. in one place. Whilst there is a almost absolutely no chance it would happen, it did make me wonder if it crossed his mind

Revaulx

@Revaulx what do you make of the music for the service? The Queen clearly liked Croft to have 2 of his pieces in the service but I can't lie and say I'm not a tad disappointed they aren't going to do Purcell's funeral sentences. Hopefully Weir's new piece is as good as the incredible Psalm 104 commissioned for Philip's funeral.
Surely they’ll be doing Purcell’s Thou Knowest Lord as part of the Croft? I think the Croft/Purcell hybrid has been sung at every royal funeral since whenever.

I’m looking forward to the Weir. Less so the MacMillan; his stuff is rather variable. I don’t like the Parry; the stop-start changes of mood always sound rather daft. Not a fan of O Taste And See either; in fact I think most of the music composed for her coronation is awful. And I’ll have to go into the cellar to sort out more beers during the vile The Lord’s My Shepherd. I dunno; maybe years of singing this stuff has turned me into a jaded old git.

We are planning on going for a walk post-funeral, so I’m afraid we will miss the Windsor bit. A shame, because I love the Harris.

If the modern practice of singing a Nunc Dimittis were being followed, it’s worth bearing in mind that she was a big fan of Harwood in A flat. I’d honestly prefer that.

Revaulx

@P-Ro si is this thread going to turn into something similar to a matchday one:

Poster A: FFS Can Alto 2

Poster B: You’ve got an agenda and are obviously a Goodbridge fanboy. Now B flat Trumpet 4 is really shit…

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If Putin hit Westminster Abbey right now he’d take out just about every Western nuclear codes authority wouldn’t he?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Such a ridiculous show of nonsensical traditions. The state of these lot parading around dressed in the most bizarre uniforms carrying swords. It’s all so fecking weird and frustrating to know that I pay towards it.

Wilt

Such a ridiculous show of nonsensical traditions. The state of these lot parading around dressed in the most bizarre uniforms carrying swords. It’s all so fecking weird and frustrating to know that I pay towards it.
It’s a State Funeral.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bit of a kit clash going on, no?

All sides are in black?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I wonder if they've put Steve Bray in the Tower of London with his megaphone.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Slow build up play here.

Is Van Gaal leading proceedings?

Abizzz

It's like a national cosplay addiction.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
when’s she going to pop out of the coffin and start flossing whilst shouting “70 more years, baby!”