Music Queens of the Stone Age

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
...Like Clockwork

Their new album will be released at the start of June.

Here's a taste:

Nowhere near as good as they once were- they're pretty much the Josh Homme show now- yet I've still got a soft spot for them.

Any fans?

Quinton Fortune

Incredible band. Rated R is probably my favorite album ever, pounded many miles at the gym listening to it!

Queens have also provided me with one of the best karma moments of my life too. Was down the front at reading and this cock was shoving through the crowd pushing everyone out the way and generally being a knob, as soon as Queens came out and feel good hit of the summer started he got a stray arm and it knocked out his front tooth. Seeing that knobhead trying to find his tooth in the mud is something I'll never forget.

I'm not holding too much hope for the new album though Homme has said how it was a real struggle to make as he was lacking inspiration so could be a bit filler. Jon Theodore on drums is a massive bonus though, incredible sticksman. I'm not sure there is a better stoner-rock band out there.

Member 39557

One of my favourite bands. I hope their new album is good, it sounds a bit trippy with the likes of Alex Turner, Elton John and the bloke from the scissor sisters appearing on it!

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Incredible band. Rated R is probably my favorite album ever, pounded many miles at the gym listening to it!

Queens have also provided me with one of the best karma moments of my life too. Was down the front at reading and this cock was shoving through the crowd pushing everyone out the way and generally being a knob, as soon as Queens came out and feel good hit of the summer started he got a stray arm and it knocked out his front tooth. Seeing that knobhead trying to find his tooth in the mud is something I'll never forget.

I'm not holding too much hope for the new album though Homme has said how it was a real struggle to make as he was lacking inspiration so could be a bit filler. Jon Theodore on drums is a massive bonus though, incredible sticksman. I'm not sure there is a better stoner-rock band out there.
Brilliant drummer.

Far more technically gifted than Castillo.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

I thought Dave Grohl was drumming on this one?

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Yeah, saw it. Quality stuff.

Don't get me wrong, Castillo suited the band and he was a good drummer, but Theodore's a different level.

gaz1185

Dave Grohl has been the drummer for most of the tracks on the new album, Jon Theodore and Joey Castillo have contributed on a couple of them though.

It does sound like Theodore will be the permanent drummer from now on though, he played for them at Lollapalooza.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He's drumming on the album, but Jon Theodore is going to be their touring drummer.
Ah alright. And I've been telling people Grohl will take care of the drums on their tour :nervous:

Goooose

Finally! Been what, 7 years since their last album? Love QOTSA, still think their first, self-titled album is the best. Probably the best live band I've ever seen as well. Back in 2007 they played the Academy in Newcastle and after every song they all did a shot of vodka (as did the entire front row). They were hammered by the end, smashed up the stage, proper rock'n'roll. Decent song, but I'm hoping for something along the lines of [i}You Can't Quit Me Baby[/I] or Hangin' Tree.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports

I quite like this new song. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but it's solid stuff.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
I like If I Had a Tail.

The other one's not bad or anything, but it leaves me cold.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
The start of I Sat by the Ocean sounds eerily like Coffee & Tv by Blur. Mid-tempo, lots of falsetto in it. Certainly not a bad track, but nowt special either.

If I Had a Tail is mid-tempo as well but far more bass-heavy. It's good shit.

Somehow I don't think there'll be any heavy tracks on this album.

Member 39557

The start of I Sat by the Ocean sounds eerily like Coffee & Tv by Blur. Mid-tempo, lots of falsetto in it. Certainly not a bad track, but nowt special either.

:( I hope there are!

Thanks for the description, I'll give them a listen later.

Quinton Fortune

Yeah seems more a ballady album which is not what i want from QOTSA, he said he didnt enjoy writing this one though so maybe its to be expected.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Its weird when your main project(if you can call it that) begins to sound like your side project and vice versa. Sounds like Them Crooked Vultures who in turn sound like QOTSA. I guess Josh just has a sound now that he pretty much sticks to, disappointingly so.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Wouldn't disagree with that. I'll give him this much though: at least he has his own sound and it's not derivative.

The way I see it with Homme is that he seems intent on producing all the stuff himself. Not only that, he surrounds himself with his mates: Alain Johannes, Jesse Hughes, Chris Goss etc. who probably tell him that every single note he plays is genius.

A producer from outside that Queens family wouldn't go amiss.

Member 39557

You're right! :eek:

IrishLegend

Its weird when your main project(if you can call it that) begins to sound like your side project and vice versa. Sounds like Them Crooked Vultures who in turn sound like QOTSA. I guess Josh just has a sound now that he pretty much sticks to, disappointingly so.
Them Crooked Vultures album is more like what Queens should have been doing. Think the influence of Grohl and JPJ saying 'Lets make this loud and rock!' over rides Homme's desire to play crap that QotSA have come out with lately.

QotSA's stuff is so souless nowerdays. Ever since Nick left it's not been the same.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Interesting album (it leaked yesterday). I like it.

But they'll lose a lot of fans who remember them as a balls-out rock band. My God is the Sun is the heaviest track on the album...and it's not that heavy.

Nickosaur

Been listening to a couple of the new tracks. Really liking it, and on top of that the artwork and animations are superb (and creepy). Can't wait for the full album, one of my favourite bands.

Nickosaur

Had been available to stream in its entireity for the last few days, so I've given it 5 or 6 listens now.

It's easily their best album since Songs For The Deaf - If I Had A Tail and I Appear Missing are up their with their best work. Keep Your Eyes Peeled, I Sat By The Ocean, My God Is The Sun, Kalposia and Smooth Sailing are all great too. Let's hope they don't leave it so long until their next release.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Been listening to it over the last few days. It's at least as good as Lullabies (which I thought was underrated). I Sat By The Ocean, Smooth Sailing and I Appear Missing are my favourites.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
It's out now.

If you're like me then you've probably downloaded it for free already. :D

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If I Had a Tail is such a brilliant song.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
If I Had a Tail is such a brilliant song.
True that. Love the keyboard/synth on it.

The Vampyre Of Time And Memory is unbelievably good.
Yeah, it's good. Actually all the slower tracks are good.

It's some of the faster ones that disappoint: Fairweather Friends and Smooth Sailing haven't clicked with me at all.

gaz1185

I've been listening to this album for a couple of weeks now and I can't help but love it, it seems to grow on me even more with each listen, which is surprising after this length of time. It feels like each track has something else to discover after each listen. I was worried it would be too slow paced after hearing the first couple of tracks, I was certainly wrong with that!

It's some of the faster ones that disappoint: Fairweather Friends and Smooth Sailing haven't clicked with me at all.
Surprising that, the two mentioned along with I Sat by the Ocean are my stand out tracks, but I highly rate each of the 10 tracks in their individual ways! Kudos to Elton for his backing vocals on Fairweather Friends, works so well. (I never thought I'd have that to say about a QotSA album! :lol:)