Question Time & This Week

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
He should have been pushed until he said 'they are white'
He just thought he was being clever by pointing out where Labour hadn't done well, without considering where they had. Akala countered him very well.

I've no idea what being white has to do with it, both Dudley and Bolton have significant non-white populations, particularly Bolton, but even if they hadn't, so what?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
He just thought he was being clever by pointing out where Labour hadn't done well, without considering where they had. Akala countered him very well.

I've no idea what being white has to do with it, both Dudley and Bolton have significant non-white populations, particularly Bolton, but even if they hadn't, so what?
I'm not sure that guy meant to include non-white people when he talked about traditional working class

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
As much as anything, neither Bolton nor Dudley showed any signs of "Corbyn-mania" during the election last year.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The phase “traditional working class people” has often been said when referring exclusively at white working class. So yeah I can imagine why people get the racial connotation even if the tosspot wasn’t racially motivated in any way.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
His name is "Hallam Mark William Sevier-Burnapp", he's the son of a former Tory Councillor in Kettering and Dimbleby addressed him by name before asking him for his question. I think it's fair to assume that he wasn't "just an audience member".
Ha, Did Dimbleby read is name out in full? I still don't think it means the guy didn't rock up of his own volition, just that it provides the background to his obvious biases.

It was a strikingly jaundiced question but even a satirically named Tory from what I imagine is a privileged background is allowed to have his daft question answered in the same manner as others. Dude was asked to clarify what he meant and made to realise he had no idea what he was on about. A succinct and funny point well made imo, move on, job's a good 'un.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
He should have been pushed until he said 'they are white'
I imagined that by 'traditional working class towns' the bloke was just parroting what he'd read on the subject in the latest Telegraph article or whatever, thought it would make a snarky sounding gotcha question and not given it much further thought. I'd always lazily assumed it meant those towns born of the industrial revolution, that remained ever reliant on its fruits and were left damaged by the late 20th century switch to a service economy. Now you mention it though I guess in certain quarters 'traditional' might have a certain ethnic quality attached to it and to that extent it could be construed as some sort of dogwhistle. In the NW (at least) these traditional working class towns have huge numbers of folk that hail from all over the shop though so it still wouldn't make that much sense even if it was intended in that way.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The phase “traditional working class people” has often been said when referring exclusively at white working class. So yeah I can imagine why people get the racial connotation even if the tosspot wasn’t racially motivated in any way.
I'd never thought of it along racial lines tbh. More thinking of people in mediocre at best jobs in crappy northern post-industrial towns, most of which have significant ethnic minority populations.
Can see why some might though, now the point has been raised.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I imagined that by 'traditional working class towns' the bloke was just parroting what he'd read on the subject in the latest Telegraph article or whatever, thought it would make a snarky sounding gotcha question and not given it much further thought. I'd always lazily assumed it meant those towns born of the industrial revolution, that remained ever reliant on its fruits and were left damaged by the late 20th century switch to a service economy. Now you mention it though I guess in certain quarters 'traditional' might have a certain ethnic quality attached to it and to that extent it could be construed as some sort of dogwhistle. In the NW (at least) these traditional working class towns have huge numbers of folk that hail from all over the shop though so it still wouldn't make that much sense even if it was intended in that way.
The questioner seemed this week's Tory plant, I don't think he was expecting such an eloquent evisceration of his insinuation

Fener1907

Finally these feckers get called out

The question doesn't seem too bad to me. Sure, traditional working class areas will invariably stick with Labour, but he defined what he considered it to be when asked, and wants to know if their lack of success in some areas they'd normally be expected to do strongly in - not all, obviously - is a commentary on Corbyn.

I don't know. I probably missed something.

Member 5225

That Akala chap seemed to have a big mouth but 'no strong opinion' on most things! :lol:

Silva

The question doesn't seem too bad to me. Sure, traditional working class areas will invariably stick with Labour, but he defined what he considered it to be when asked, and wants to know if their lack of success in some areas they'd normally be expected to do strongly in - not all, obviously - is a commentary on Corbyn.

"Traditional working class" is often used as a dog whistle for poor white people as a way of dividing poor white people and poor non-white people by way of excluding non-white people from the conversation.

Last edited:

Untied

As in America the phrase is used a cover for a certain kind of white voter. Hackney isn’t “traditionally working class” because it is too diverse, even though by economic standing those voters are 100% working class.

Untied

To check I wasn’t being unfair on Bolton and Dudley I had a look at demographic data:
Bolton 80% White British
Dudley 88% White British
Hackney 36% White British
Islington 48% White British

It’s absolutely a racial whistle.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That Akala chap seemed to have a big mouth but 'no strong opinion' on most things! :lol:
Akala is pretty much the closest thing the left have in the UK to a Shapiro character. He’s an incredibly articulate debater.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I'd suggest you listen to some more of what Akala has to say then, the guy is ludicrously talented and intelligent across the board. Last month he did a documentary for the beeb following the route of Homer's Odyssey and discussing ancient philosophy and language whilst composing a rap version that finished the programme. He runs a youth theatre company that takes Shakespeare into poor schools and shows kids the similarities between classic literature and verse and modern rap and has given Ted talks and debated African history at the Oxford union as well as being a maths prodigy. He self publishes music that is streets ahead of anything the mainstream labels would touch in terms of intelligent lyrical content and raps better than 99% of the chart acts driveling on about banging, bitches and blunts and in his spare time writes graphic novels that he then recreates as spoken word operas. Oh and he's a pretty good footballer too although he dropped out of the West Ham academy when he went off the rails a bit in his youth.

It's just a shame that 99% of the time the beeb just roll him out to comment on race issues and wind up the biffers and kippers on their pseudo intellectual Jeremy Kyle like current affairs shout fests.

Fener1907

"Traditional working class" is often used as a dog whistle for poor white people as a way of dividing poor white people and poor non-white people by way of excluding non-white people from the conversation.
Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Working class is just working class to me, and I assumed the UK had seen enough diversity in "traditional working class areas" for long enough to not need to see divisions in them.

Dante

Average bang
Never thought about it like that, but I guess the distinction does exist.

Traditional working class = poor and white
Urban = poor and non-white

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd suggest you listen to some more of what Akala has to say then, the guy is ludicrously talented and intelligent across the board. Last month he did a documentary for the beeb following the route of Homer's Odyssey and discussing ancient philosophy and language whilst composing a rap version that finished the programme. He runs a youth theatre company that takes Shakespeare into poor schools and shows kids the similarities between classic literature and verse and modern rap and has given Ted talks and debated African history at the Oxford union as well as being a maths prodigy. He self publishes music that is streets ahead of anything the mainstream labels would touch in terms of intelligent lyrical content and raps better than 99% of the chart acts driveling on about banging, bitches and blunts and in his spare time writes graphic novels that he then recreates as spoken word operas. Oh and he's a pretty good footballer too although he dropped out of the West Ham academy when he went off the rails a bit in his youth.

It's just a shame that 99% of the time the beeb just roll him out to comment on race issues and wind up the biffers and kippers on their pseudo intellectual Jeremy Kyle like current affairs shout fests.
Well said.

Untied

I'm afraid the racism here is coming from you.
Yes, the real racism is pointing out that Hackney is much more ethnically diverse than Bolton and that might be why the right don’t consider it “traditionally working class” :rolleyes:

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Yes, the real racism is pointing out that Hackney is much more ethnically diverse than Bolton and that might be why the right don’t consider it “traditionally working class” :rolleyes:
Again, so what? He, tosser and dim though he was, wasn't the one to bring this up, you were.

Are we not allowed to talk about the poverty of former mining communities because there were no mines in Hackney, the state of our former fishing towns like Fleetwood and Hull because the trawlermen were nearly all white, farming because nearly all farms are inherited. What bollocks. And yes, let's talk about Hackney too, because they have needs like the rest of us, not because they've passed some categorisation test they've been put through.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout

Very interesting, talk about out of touch, I'd never even heard of the guy. Would be good to see him more active in politics though.

Bury Red

Very interesting, talk about out of touch, I'd never even heard of the guy. Would be good to see him more active in politics though.
I wish he would. The likes of Akala and Lowkey talk far more sense than most of our politicians and could offer a better and broader perspective on how to deal with many of the issues facing the young and the poor in Britain as well as reining in many of our more dangerous interference in global politics.

Both of them do talk politically in their music and alongside politicians on various platforms but I suspect they know their ability to be effective within politics would largely be blunted by the attacks they would have to sustain if they were to put their names on a ballot paper.

Member 5225

I wish he would. The likes of Akala and Lowkey talk far more sense than most of our politicians and could offer a better and broader perspective on how to deal with many of the issues facing the young and the poor in Britain as well as reining in many of our more dangerous interference in global politics.

Both of them do talk politically in their music and alongside politicians on various platforms but I suspect they know their ability to be effective within politics would largely be blunted by the attacks they would have to sustain if they were to put their names on a ballot paper.
Fair enough. My only visibility of him was on bbcqt - he just came across as a bit of the usual non-politician ‘all of the politicians are idiots, should just work together but are ineffectual anyway’. These sort of guys should get called out to attempt to run for office like Russell Brand was.

T_Model101

Fair enough. My only visibility of him was on bbcqt - he just came across as a bit of the usual non-politician ‘all of the politicians are idiots, should just work together but are ineffectual anyway’. These sort of guys should get called out to attempt to run for office like Russell Brand was.
Tbh that's how he came across to me too.
He missed his opportunity imo, every question he "didn't have a strong opinion on"
Technically speaking, didn't the questioner (Tory plant or not :lol:) ask why Labour support had dropped in working class towns?
Last time I checked, Hackney isn't a town...

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
To check I wasn’t being unfair on Bolton and Dudley I had a look at demographic data:
Bolton 80% White British
Dudley 88% White British
Hackney 36% White British
Islington 48% White British

It’s absolutely a racial whistle.
Hackney and Islington have far greater diversity but that's not the reason they aren't referred to as traditional working class towns. The main reason is because they're boroughs in central London and from the POV of everywhere else their individual identity's long been subsumed by the sprawling capital they're a part of. The term 'traditional working class town' is definitely a bit vague and somewhat arbitrary but it certainly retains a sense of provinciality that tends to exclude places in or close to the capital. Blackburn is considered a traditional working class town, so is Oldham yet no distinction is really made between them and the likes of Bolton, Wigan or Burnley on that basis. At any rate Bolton still ranks as one of the most ethnically diverse towns in the country - ranked on a 'whiteness scale' out of the 296 English districts outside London it comes in 271st. It's an odd choice of town if you're wanting to highlight ethnicity.

I'm not saying 'traditional working class' can't be used as a dog whistle, it's perfectly obvious it can, but I'm absolutely sure it isn't exclusively or even mainly used in this sense when describing an area. I remain confident this Burnapp bloke selected Dudley and Bolton because Corbyn didn't do as well as expected there, not because of their whiteness. He then couldn't reasonably answer the follow ups because he had absolutely no interest or clue about the subject beyond it being a stick to beat Labour with.

Last edited:

Bury Red

Tbh that's how he came across to me too.
He missed his opportunity imo, every question he "didn't have a strong opinion on"
Technically speaking, didn't the questioner (Tory plant or not :lol:) ask why Labour support had dropped in working class towns?
Last time I checked, Hackney isn't a town...
It wasn't exactly the best set of questions for Akala to face and given the issues with the Grenfell enquiry, Windrush and the press and Trump's hard-on for knife crime I'm sure when he agreed to go on he wasn't expecting to only get a chance to discuss euthanasia, what sort of Brexit we want and whether 25 year olds should receive a 10k handout (where he had plenty to say). I'm sure both Akala and Lowkey have been asked to put themselves forward politically and like Brand they do more than most celebrities in getting the young interested and invested in politics and education and urging them to use their voice but they've likely all got things in their past that they know would derail any fledgling political career once the tabloid muckraking begun, youthful indiscretions outside of the Bullingdon club being fair game for the press of course.

Untied

I've also realised I went to university with the Tax Payer's Alliance rep, and she wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, so I can't say it surprises me she's managed to build a career at a right-wing think tank.

Hackney and Islington have far greater diversity but that's not the reason they aren't referred to as traditional working class towns. The main reason is because they're boroughs in central London and from the POV of everywhere else their individual identity's long been subsumed by the sprawling capital they're a part of. The term 'traditional working class town' is definitely a bit vague and somewhat arbitrary but it certainly retains a sense of provinciality that tends to exclude places in or close to the capital. Blackburn is considered a traditional working class town, so is Oldham yet no distinction is really made between them and the likes of Bolton, Wigan or Burnley on that basis. At any rate Bolton still ranks as one of the most ethnically diverse towns in the country - ranked on a 'whiteness scale' out of the 296 English districts outside London it comes in 271st. It's an odd choice of town if you're wanting to highlight ethnicity.

I'm not saying 'traditional working class' can't be used as a dog whistle, it's perfectly obvious it can, but I'm absolutely sure it isn't exclusively or even mainly used in this sense when describing an area. I remain confident this Burnapp bloke selected Dudley and Bolton because Corbyn didn't do as well as expected there, not because of their whiteness. He then couldn't reasonably answer the follow ups because he had absolutely no interest or clue about the subject beyond it being a stick to beat Labour with.
I agree, but that's kind of my point. The reason Corbyn hasn't done as well in the "traditional working class towns" has to lead to a discussion around national identity, attitude towards diversity and immigration, etc. The questioner wasn't prepared for that discussion at all. He wanted to blow on a whistle with racial connotations without understanding those issues.

I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about the physical nature of a town vs an urban borough. When someone says Corbyn is failing to win "traditional working class towns" that is just a way of saying he hasn't won "traditional working class voters", and the word traditional is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting there - dividing an economic standing along cultural, social, racial attitudes.

Given that we are a country that actually rather venerates being working class, it is interesting that there is an attempt to reserve this status for the white British

Member 5225

It wasn't exactly the best set of questions for Akala to face and given the issues with the Grenfell enquiry, Windrush and the press and Trump's hard-on for knife crime I'm sure when he agreed to go on he wasn't expecting to only get a chance to discuss euthanasia, what sort of Brexit we want and whether 25 year olds should receive a 10k handout (where he had plenty to say). I'm sure both Akala and Lowkey have been asked to put themselves forward politically and like Brand they do more than most celebrities in getting the young interested and invested in politics and education and urging them to use their voice but they've likely all got things in their past that they know would derail any fledgling political career once the tabloid muckraking begun, youthful indiscretions outside of the Bullingdon club being fair game for the press of course.
But you see the problem here then, correct? Such a cop out (if indeed he does think that way).

So easy to criticise from the outside.

This would be textbook throwing stones living in a glass house!

But fair enough, I’m sure he has some good points to get a discussion going - hopefully isn’t as patronising as he came across with all his ‘are you listening to these people’ and chuckles at answers. Politics is much much harder than it looks.

Drainy

Corbyn is very popular amongst traditional Labour voters who were Labour because of economic reasons.

He is despised by the mob who voted Labour because of their working class identity.

It's interesting to see on my Facebook the 'Sun reading' working class who hate him. My sense is that he is seen as un-patriotic by the flag wavers.
Between Corbyn and Brexit Britain's political dividing lines have been shaken up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't see traditional working class as specifically meaning white. I see it as meaning those that are financially above the poorest. Most people in most towns, not receiving benefits but not in a middle class profession. The Tory has a point, even if he was only there to make more people latch onto it...for some reason I see a lot of people in this category not on board with Corbyn, particularly those a generation older than myself or with those who didn't do as well at school (sounds offensive, but I have a lot of people of my generation from high school on Facebook, and this was evidently the way it was and there is no doubt in my mind this was repeated up and down the country).
I think Corbyn lost these because of his anti-war stance. A lot of people in this category hold racist or underlying racist views and that seems to go hand in hand with being behind the military. A lot are also proud of the military, possibly because they've had it passed down on to them from their parents/grandparents who were more justifiably proud of it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That woman might have made a valid point but saying 'be quiet, men' really irritates me. If that was a man, he'd be dissed on TV for days for 'discrimination'.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I can see Portillo is right when he says the consensus for a form of customs union has grown, and hard Brexiteers are on the run, but that's before anyone knows the price. The four freedoms and hefty contributions could yet change that consensus, I feel.

Also right about the Northern Ireland tail wagging the dog, by the way. Terribly unpopular opinion on an Irish-heavy and Remain-leaning forum no doubt, but there's a truth to it nonetheless.

Last edited:

Drainy

Them working class are too thick to understand economics. That and they spend too much time watching royal weddings on the telly.
Ok so what do you think is causing voters who have traditionally supported more socialist politics (by being lifelong labour voters) and other demographics that were majority Labour to vote for the Tories when they have an actual socialist they can vote for?

To condense it, I would say;

1) Brexit/Xenophobia/Identity politics (Labour have been marred with the Politically Correct label following the child sex ring scandals, while the Tories, while not as overtly racist as in the past have gained the 'anti immigration' mantle)
2) Corbyn being seen as unpatriotic/ Negative press coverage
3) A lack of social engagement/ sense of community and a sense of loss of 'national identity' due to immigration levels and 2nd/3rd generation non-whites.

I say this as someone who grew up in a working class family in West Yorkshire.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Ok so what do you think is causing voters who have traditionally supported more socialist politics (by being lifelong labour voters) and other demographics that were majority Labour to vote for the Tories when they have an actual socialist they can vote for?

To condense it, I would say;

1) Brexit/Xenophobia/Identity politics (Labour have been marred with the Politically Correct label following the child sex ring scandals, while the Tories, while not as overtly racist as in the past have gained the 'anti immigration' mantle)
2) Corbyn being seen as unpatriotic/ Negative press coverage
3) A lack of social engagement/ sense of community and a sense of loss of 'national identity' due to immigration levels and 2nd/3rd generation non-whites.

I say this as someone who grew up in a working class family in West Yorkshire.
The biggest reason is that they don't believe Corbyn and McDonnell are capable of running a national economy successfully. Whether that's unfair or not would be a separate question of course.