Race for top 4 | Finito.

BorisManUtd

Best football we've played in the last 10 years at least + away record + those combacks weren't "jammy"
I wouldn’t call them jammy either but there were so many comebacks, it was never sustainable for longer period. Then next season everything just collapsed starting October.

Rojofiam

I wouldn’t call them jammy either but there were so many comebacks, it was never sustainable for longer period. Then next season everything just collapsed starting October.
Yes, because Ole was naive and he tried to shoehorn 2 players into the XI that are useless when we don't have the ball: Pogba and Ronaldo. If we never signed Ronaldo, Ole would still be here, so there's 0 connection between the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons.

Bestietom

We need to reach 72 points as soon as possible.Scousers can only reach 71 by winning their remaining games and dont want to lose out to these feckers.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

Why are people suddenly back talking about Liverpool as a top side and putting them in next seasons title race? They have been terrible this season with a squad of ageing and underperforming players and are only 5th because they have had a run of referee assisted wins over the last few weeks.

To compete next season Liverpool need to sign 5 or 6 new players but their owners refusal to spend and missing out on the Champions League will prevent them from doing that.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
One good thing is that the next two games after today Liverpool don’t play before us. It would put massive pressure on these players to be kicking off in 5th, although they seemed to deal with it fine a couple of weeks ago.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Three points against West Ham will be a bonus. We need to win our three home games but also have Bournemouth away as insurance. If we beat West Ham but then fail to make top four it would be a disgrace.

It was always likely that Liverpool would win all their remaining games. That they’re doing so shouldn’t affect our confidence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why are people suddenly back talking about Liverpool as a top side and putting them in next seasons title race? They have been terrible this season with a squad of ageing and underperforming players and are only 5th because they have had a run of referee assisted wins over the last few weeks.

To compete next season Liverpool need to sign 5 or 6 new players but their owners refusal to spend and missing out on the Champions League will prevent them from doing that.
Because this season was a bit of a fluke season from them, and they were a high 90s team with city the past 5 years. Last season they made the final of every cup and were 1 point away from the league. A hangover after that season combined with some aging players that just need a bit of a refresher had a big impact, but a rebound after this season is fully expected.

They don't need 5-6 players, they got Diaz back from injury and they just need a couple of midfielders and they'll be back up there next season more then likely.

bosnian_red

Best football we've played in the last 10 years at least + away record + those combacks weren't "jammy"
The away record was great but it's impossible not to take into account the lack of pressure of playing away without fans. There was a noticeable drop those 2 seasons in home team advantage throughout football... We had 12 more points away than at home even, which is pretty flukey and unheard of.

BorisManUtd

Yes, because Ole was naive and he tried to shoehorn 2 players into the XI that are useless when we don't have the ball: Pogba and Ronaldo. If we never signed Ronaldo, Ole would still be here, so there's 0 connection between the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons.
I disagree. Think there were problems with the team in 20/21 that we managed to hide with those wins but ultimately it caught us. I thought EL final loss should’ve been Ole’s last game in charge. Didn’t happen so the sack was only moved to 6 months later, just like it would’ve been better if Jose left in July 2018 instead of December when it was clear his relationship with board was damaged beyond repair.

But we’re obviously off topic.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do we think they’re back on the inhalers after their break? Anyone looked at the running stats for, say, the last six games compared to the season before that?

EliasRavelino

Supports
Sevilla
I think Manchester United will be Ok even if Liverpool win all their remaining games.

United have been a bit up-and-down recently, but never really a sustained slump, so should be Ok for Champions League qualification.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know what i want in Newcastle games. I want them to win to deny Liverpool a chance but on the other hand they are our rival for top 4 too.

FerociousCorgis

I don't know what i want in Newcastle games. I want them to win to deny Liverpool a chance but on the other hand they are our rival for top 4 too.
Have to want Newcastle to finish below us so want them to drop as many points as possible.

Siorac

I want them to drop as many points as possible so we might finish ahead of them.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This makes no sense - surely if Liverpool manage to get top 4 you’d want it to be at the expense of another team?

Lentwood

I think Manchester United will be Ok even if Liverpool win all their remaining games.

United have been a bit up-and-down recently, but never really a sustained slump, so should be Ok for Champions League qualification.
The trouble is United are maybe THE most predictable team in the Premier League. It's very easy, as someone who watches us week-in, week-out, to know which games we will win and which we will drop points in.

We will drop points in the game against West Ham later. I am certain of it. We perform very poorly away from home against scrappy teams and hostile crowds (as you are aware, as a Sevilla fan!)

I can already see it now. De Gea flapping at every cross and every set-piece they throw into the box. We'll no doubt concede some amatuerish goal from a corner or a set-piece to some big lump like Craig Dawson or Kurt Zouma and never recover as our pampered lambs wilt under the pressure of a setback.

At Old Trafford, we are a much better side, more confident side, and therefore I expect we'll take seven points from our three home games.

That means our season basically boils down to beating Bournemouth away. We SHOULD be able to do that...but I personally would not waste a single penny betting on us to win any away game.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Because this season was a bit of a fluke season from them, and they were a high 90s team with city the past 5 years. Last season they made the final of every cup and were 1 point away from the league. A hangover after that season combined with some aging players that just need a bit of a refresher had a big impact, but a rebound after this season is fully expected.

They don't need 5-6 players, they got Diaz back from injury and they just need a couple of midfielders and they'll be back up there next season more then likely.
I think you're rating them too highly. I'd be very surprised if they challenge for the title next season with their current defence, even if they buy a couple of midfielders.

bosnian_red

I think you're rating them too highly. I'd be very surprised if they challenge for the title next season with their current defence, even if they buy a couple of midfielders.
People are just sleeping on them IMO, just like in 21/22 because they had a down year in 20/21. You see it all the time where a team has a down year after a year like they had last season, some injuries, some things don't go their way and then it spirals a bit. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for them to be City's main challengers next year, because they have been so for the bulk of the past 5 years. They have the 2nd highest xG this season, bad finishing the reason they haven't scored more. Their home record is very good, beat City, destroyed United, while their away form has been worse than ours. To me it just looks like a very obvious hangover year which doesn't tend to last, and they'll bounce back next year (especially as they don't have CL football to distract). Would be glad if they don't, I'm just doubtful of that.

FerociousCorgis

If Newcastle lose and we win that be huge mentally. Now Newcastle have to think about pool instead of just united

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Is 3rd a group stage spot and 4th a final qualifying round spot?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
If Newcastle lose and we win that be huge mentally. Now Newcastle have to think about pool instead of just united
Newcastle are fine with GD over everyone fighting for the top 4.Liverpool are winning out .The rest is up to you lot and Newcastle to not spit the bit.

Doracle

If you get anything 75 points or above then regardless of placement you’ve beaten Ole’s best season but not Mourinho’s. So while it’s not the best Post-Fergie it’s still plausibly 2nd best. Ole’s season somehow gets a lot of credit when it wasn’t great, was a lot of jammy comeback wins in there too.
Ole’s 2nd full league season was a lot better than the Mourinho one. We lost two games at the end of the season when we had to play 3 matches in 5 days and were already guaranteed 2nd and weren’t going to get 1st. Prior to getting shafted by those fixtures we’d lost one match in 29, including dominant away wins at City and Spurs.

Dan_F

Newcastle’s fixtures are tougher than ours. Win tonight and we’re still in the best place to finish third. I’d be getting nervous if I was a Newcastle fan. The players don’t have any experience of closing out these sort of games. Lose the Brighton game and they’re in massive trouble for fourth.

BorisManUtd

Not a given for Newcastle, Liverpool still in with a shout for their place
They've got 4 games left (Leeds, Brighton, Leicester, Chelsea). Should get 6 points out of if which is enough to finish above Liverpool. It's us I worry about atm.