Race for top 4 | Finito.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
United's schedule is utter filth for the next 3 weeks.

Supporters need to get ready and almost 100% expect points to be dropped, lets not slag of every single member of the team when they are being asked to play so often...

Barcelona (Thu)
- 2 days rest -
Leicester (Sun)
- 3 days rest -
Barcelona (Thu)
- 2 days rest -
Newcastle (Sun)
- 2 days rest -
West Ham (Wed)
- 3 days rest -
Liverpool (Sun)
- Finally 5 days rest!!! -
Southampton (Sat)
If we beat Barca there's no rest there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If we can navigate the next five without top 4 rivals gaining too much us, we should be looking good:

Leicester, Liverpool (a), Southampton, Brighton (a), Newcastle (a).
Yeah was a big result today to give us a bit of breathing space.

Infra-red

1. Barca -- strongest team
  2. Dropping points to Leicester will sting , but this is the one where we should rotate heavily.
  3. Barca again.. Strongest team
  4. Newcastle - Cup final - strongest team
  5. West Ham - rest.. i guess
  6. Liverpool -- have to play the strongest team

It'll be crazy. Leicester and West ham, the next 2 league games, are the ones we are most likely to go in the weakest. and then we have Liverpool away.
West Ham is the FA Cup. Our next two league games are Leicester (h) and Liverpool (a).

Raw

If we can navigate the next five without top 4 rivals gaining too much us, we should be looking good:

Leicester, Liverpool (a), Southampton, Brighton (a), Newcastle (a).
For comparisons sake:
Spurs: West Ham, Chelsea, Wolves (a), Forest, Southampton (a)
Newcastle: Liverpool, Man City (a), Wolves, Forest (a), United

Newcastle may slip away, not the easiest run there. Especially after we demoralise them in the League Cup final :)

BorisManUtd

We're in good position right now but think if we go past Barca in Europa then our league form will suffer in March/April, so there's plenty of games to go before we can feel safe even with rivals dropping points regularly.

Spurs/Chelsea/Liverpool will see all those draws Newcastle have had over last month or so and feel they have a chance. Should be interesting.

Leicester at home won't be easy either. They won 4-2 at Villa, then beat Spurs 4-1. Seems like they're getting into form like they did before World Cup.

Alex B

Supporters need to get ready and almost 100% expect points to be dropped, lets not slag of every single member of the team when they are being asked to play so often...

Barcelona (Thu)
- 2 days rest -
Leicester (Sun)
- 3 days rest -
Barcelona (Thu)
- 2 days rest -
Newcastle (Sun)
- 2 days rest -
West Ham (Wed)
- 3 days rest -
Liverpool (Sun)
Southampton (Sat)
The 5th round FA cup game against West Ham will hurt. Hopefully some rotation there

krazyrobus

I hope we lose to Barca quite frankly, it's like another 7 fixtures to the final after.

Raw

I respectfully disagree. I think all of them teams are beatable and having poor seasons (apart from Newcastle).
Leicester just came off a good win against Spurs, wouldn't take them lightly but we should beat them.
Liverpool are Liverpool. Always a tough game at Anfield no matter how shit they are.
Southampton should be beatable, despite a potential new manager bounce.
Brighton have been fantastic this season, haven't had a poor season at all considering they're 6th right now.

Infra-red

Leicester just came off a good win against Spurs, wouldn't take them lightly but we should beat them.
Liverpool are Liverpool. Always a tough game at Anfield no matter how shit they are.
Southampton should be beatable, despite a potential new manager bounce.
Brighton have been fantastic this season, haven't had a poor season at all considering they're 6th right now.
Indeed. They'll leapfrog Spurs if they win their two games in hand.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I hope we lose to Barca quite frankly, it's like another 7 fixtures to the final after.
If we win the League Cup then I really don't care about the Uefa League. One second hand trophy is enough in one season.

always_hoping

Barcelona (Thu)
- 2 days rest -
Leicester (Sun)
- 3 days rest -
Barcelona (Thu)
- 2 days rest -
Newcastle (Sun)
- 2 days rest -
West Ham (Wed)
- 3 days rest -
Liverpool (Sun)
Southampton (Sat)
Some supporters as they always do will totally ignore the hectic schedule and by the end of it the United players will be running on fumes. Grinding out results like today should be highly praised.

Infra-red

Ah ok.. still think we'll rotate there..
Agreed. I think we'll rotate vs West Ham. I want us to beat Barca and of course expect us to go all out to do it, but I expect they will have too much for us, which would be disappointing, but will ultimately serve to make the remainder of the season a bit less brutal. The cup final and top 4 look like our most likely routes through to a decent season.

Dominos

We should also beat Villa, Palace and Leeds...

We struggle in near enough every game we play, even against relegation fodder.

Particularly when it's Thursday-Sunday schedule, no 3 points can be counted before we've got them.

Mike Smalling

We are more a part of the Man City and Arsenal discussion, than the Newcastle, Spurs, Brighton discussion.

Djemba-Djemba

Only on the caf you'll have bedwetters worrying to death about a team in 10th, 17 points behind you, finishing ahead of you.

This place is like a 24/7 funeral. Miserable and despondent sods.
It's absolutely incredible.

There's not a chance Liverpool make up 17 fecking points on us no matter how many games in hand they have

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
We are more a part of the Man City and Arsenal discussion, than the Newcastle, Spurs, Brighton discussion.
If you look at how we've played today, no. We are definitely not. Everytime we think we do we drop a stinker too. Against Palace, against Leeds earlier in the week. A late loss against Arsenal.. We're in a good spot now, for this year. Too good to drop out, too inconsistent to win the league. Next year we goooo for it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you look at how we've played today, no. We are definitely not. Everytime we think we do we drop a stinker too. Against Palace, against Leeds earlier in the week. A late loss against Arsenal.. We're in a good spot now, for this year. Too good to drop out, too inconsistent to win the league. Next year we goooo for it.
I think we're right in it with Arsenal and City. Arsenal will drop points to City and if they draw then all the better. Our form is as good as theirs right now, even without Casemiro or a proper striker.

Blood Mage

We'll piss it, not necessarily because we're amazing but because we're just better than our competition. The league is shit this year.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Are we hoping for Arsenal to take points off City or the other way around ? Seems like Arsenal getting something out of both fixtures would be preferable given they're more likely to implode down the stretch.

arnie_ni

It's fecking annoying that we'd actually be joint top of the league if it wasn't for the 2 late goals against arsenal and Palace. We should have got 3 more points from them

cyberman

Are we hoping for Arsenal to take points off City or the other way around ? Seems like Arsenal getting something out of both fixtures would be preferable given they're more likely to implode down the stretch.
City win the first and see where we are for the second. Arsenal have an extremely tough run in so the need for the to drop points isn’t so urgent

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'll take a draw from the first one and then we can make our mind up come April for the second.

I also would prefer to have Arsenal to chase, as I don't want Citeh winning the league.

Idxomer

It's fecking annoying that we'd actually be joint top of the league if it wasn't for the 2 late goals against arsenal and Palace. We should have got 3 more points from them
I would say the league table mostly reflects our performances this season.

What has been really hurting in terms of challenging for the title is missing our first-choice striker and left winger for long stretches of the season, the former has barely played all season. Casemiro also missed about 10 games for various reasons so far and we'll miss Eriksen for the rest of the campaign.

Infra-red

Feck City. I hope the cheating cnuts lose evey game they play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
FFS state of this post, you hope we lose?

How about what a boost it would be to knock a team like Barca out?

el3mel

City win, 2nd from 3rd doesn't matter that much and City have bigger chances to keep the title race going on than us.

Red & White

Mental schedule but we need to just keep going game by game. The players will probably be enjoying the regular games and minimal training, especially if the coaching team have a clear identity instilled in them by now. We would obviously benefit from a bigger/ better overall squad but this type of season can really create a great team mentality. Need to keep looking up and top 4 should then take care of itself. With this schedule, we’re bound to have a few dropped points here and there, though.

RuudTom83

But this type of thinking never works...you could easily say without the 2 late goals against Chelsea and Fulham, United would be fighting Spurs for 4th/5th

Last edited:

Lost bear

It's absolutely incredible.

There's not a chance Liverpool make up 17 fecking points on us no matter how many games in hand they have
Agreed, there’s a whole lotta misery going on, but in the context of the past 10 years or so, it’s kind of understandable. A couple of trophies and the atmosphere will change, perhaps?

Moiraine

I think Palace and Leeds at home were poorly managed, should have been 4 more points and sitting pretty at second place with 50 points.

I totally blame Bruno Fernandes for the draw against Leeds at Home. His casual attempt to nutmeg costed us victory.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'll take a draw from the first one and then we can make our mind up come April for the second.

I also would prefer to have Arsenal to chase, as I don't want Citeh winning the league.
Best case is that if we don’t win it, City do and we come second. Because they’ll be docked points or stripped anyway and we’ll end up champions.

All joking aside, there has to be a serious consideration that whoever comes second this year, if it’s Arsenal or United, or whoever, could eventually become champions due to external events.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
FFS state of this post, you hope we lose?

How about what a boost it would be to knock a team like Barca out?
It's not a controversial opinion to be honest. We are on bare bones with midfield and to play 7 less games would help us immensely towards end of the season.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It's not a controversial opinion to be honest. We are on bare bones with midfield and to play 7 less games would help us immensely towards end of the season.
It’s controversial to not want us to knock that disgraceful club out. Sends a big message to Europe as well if we knock them out too considering their standing.