Race for top 4 | Finito.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Could well be going into the international break behind Spurs. At least they beat City though, that was a great result for us apparently.

Lets just hope Newcastle don't win today. Away there next and we know how bad our form is against the top half.
That'd be a concern if Spurs were 5th but they aren't, we're 8 points clear of 5th.

Mr. Robot

Bloody hell, just take it one game at a time!

Just because we might drop points doesn't mean that Liverpool, Spurs & Newcastle will win their games.

It's always panic stations with some of you, I don't know how you handle day-to-day life, seriously :lol:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
8 clear of 5th.
It’s a sure deal if you check out literally every other top 4 contender results from this week bar Spurs? Us not winning doesn’t give them more points
If Newcastle win today and beat Forest away then we face them only 3 points ahead without Casemiro.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Question, do you expect Newcastle and Spurs to put a competent run of results together while we completely collapse? Use your brain and stop shitting yourself.
We'll see. I just think we’re fatigued and may end up hanging on, the way it’s going

Irwin99

You have to account for how average the other teams are. They'll drop points every other week.
Yup. I didn't see the match but i heard about Casemiro's red when it happened and was praying for a 1-0 win or at worst, just a point and at least we got that.

I agree we're in a race for top 4 but we clearly have an advantage and other teams will drop silly points. We also have Liverpool, City and Arsenal games all over and done with.

Reynoldo

Bloody hell, just take it one game at a time!

Just because we might drop points doesn't mean that Liverpool, Spurs & Newcastle will win their games.

It's always panic stations with some of you, I don't know how you handle day-to-day life, seriously :lol:
This

BorisManUtd

50 points after 26 games. 12 games to go, 36 points available, no Casemiro vs Newcastle (A), Brentford (H) and Everton (H). Think Liverpool loss and this draw got us back in top 4 race unfortunately. Playing in 4 competitions clearly doesn't help and will probably hurt us more over April and May (if we're still in those comps then).

cyberman

If Newcastle win today and beat Forest away then we face them only 3 points ahead without Casemiro.
But they won’t win those two games because everybody below us are shit, especially Newcastle who are in a torrid run of form.
Newcastle are not winning three games in a row in the league, last time they did was 3 months ago.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think we'll be fine regardless but I'd be very happy to see Newcastle drop a few points in coming games.

Cpl Hicks

If we make it past Fulham on Sunday could the next round be in between those three games in the league?

Pintu

50 points after 26 games. 12 games to go, 36 points available, no Casemiro vs Newcastle (A), Brentford (H) and Everton (H). Think Liverpool loss and this draw got us back in top 4 race unfortunately. Playing in 4 competitions clearly doesn't help and will probably hurt us more over April and May (if we're still in those comps then).
I thought he'd miss some Cup games instead?

lex talionis

Top four is secure but I was hoping we’d close in on Arsenal by season’s end to within 4-5 points. That’s not in the cards now but I’ll happily take top four and two cups.

Kag

Some folk will shite themselves but we’ve extended our lead over Liverpool to eight.

Fixtures and form go out of the window at this point in the season. Games like Bournemouth away aren’t guaranteed wins. The teams below us will drop points and so will we. Relax.

always_hoping

squeaky bum time for Man United in the top race now.

Newcastle will move onto 47 points by winning their two games in hand. Brighton also two games in hand can get 45 points.

Man United away to Newcastle in the next game without Casemiro could well prove a key game in this top 4 race.

cyberman

squeaky bum time for Man United in the top race now.

Newcastle will move onto 47 points by winning their two games in hand. Brighton also two games in hand can get 45 points.

Man United away to Newcastle in the next game without Casemiro could well prove a key game in this top 4 race.
Will?
Am I the only one seeing the results of everyone else? Brighton still have to play us, City and Arsenal. Newcastle still have to play Brighton themselves as well as Brighton v Spurs and Newcastle v Spurs.
It’s not just our lead and everyone else’s form but there’s so many fixtures that goes our way as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We had 46 points at this point last season (only 4 less than now). We then took 12 points from our last 12 games. Don't underestimate how quickly this can unravel.

These 2 points dropped what was our easiest game remaining could be crucial.

IRN-BRUno

We should still comfortably make the top 4 but it's certainly not a guarantee. Helpful that nobody else is really putting together a strong run but then if we suddenly lose Rashford to injury or he stops scoring it suddenly looks more difficult.

I think our away games will be crucial. Newcastle and Spurs will be tough but it's also a great opportunity to stop them gaining ground. Brighton possibly the most difficult, a draw there would be fine. Forest, West Ham both capable on their day, Bournemouth also but they could be safe/relegated at that point.

gajender

We had 46 points at this point last season (only 4 less than now). We then took 12 points from our last 12 games. Don't underestimate how quickly this can unravel.

These 2 points dropped what was our easiest game remaining could be crucial.
Agreed anything can happen when you veer into some extreme hypotheticals but even if worst come to worst we should atleast match last season's overall PPG of 1.5 then that should be enough to get us into top 4 .
What are the betting odds for each top 4 pretenders currently if I remember correctly you were big into them for predictions .

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not bothered at all. We will comfortably finish 3rd. I'm more concerned about the cup games and whether ETH can liven things up a bit after a lack of quality in the last two league games.

RoyKeaneReborn

I am cautiously optimistic that we can keep top 4 position given how inconsistent everyone else is. Was worried Liverpool will pick up form for a winning run but glad Bournemouth deflated that (for now). Spurs dun have the historical knack of picking together a strong run-in towards season tail-end (unlike Wenger's Arsenal n Liverpool). And Newcastle, while difficult to break down, are collecting more draws than wins.

Huge relegation dogfight across bottom 9 teams separated by just 5 pts. Pretty sure they ll chalk pts off our top 4 competitors too. N u have Chelski in there who ll also take points off the rest.

Our mentality this season is also a lot better than previous seasons (leaving the 7-0 aside). Think the lads should be able to pull this thru the finishing line & secure at least 4th.

always_hoping

Will?
Am I the only one seeing the results of everyone else? Brighton still have to play us, City and Arsenal. Newcastle still have to play Brighton themselves as well as Brighton v Spurs and Newcastle v Spurs.
It’s not just our lead and everyone else’s form but there’s so many fixtures that goes our way as well.
Newcastle playing at home to Wolves currently and Forest on Friday two very winnable games. Win both plus beat Man United on 2nd of April they'll be ahead on scoring difference. Man United very much in a top four race and dropping points at home to Southampton certainly hasn't helped matters.

C'est Moi Cantona

What's a realistic number of points for 4 th place this year?

I'm thinking maybe 65-67 points, so as a minimum another 6 wins from 12 games should be enough.

Dannn411

Brighton away, Spurs away, Newcastle away, Chelsea at home all still to come. Anyone who thinks we are home and dry must be having a laugh. Especially with the way we've been playing.

Nero

Brighton away, Spurs away, Newcastle away, Chelsea at home all still to come. Anyone who thinks we are home and dry must be having a laugh. Especially with the way we've been playing.
Other teams have equally hard games, some moreso.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not bothered at all. We will comfortably finish 3rd. I'm more concerned about the cup games and whether ETH can liven things up a bit after a lack of quality in the last two league games.
I think this will go much later than most given our consistently poor away performances against decent sides and we still need to travel to Newcastle, Spurs and Brighton.

Delighted where we are given how the season started, but I wouldn’t get complacent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This is PL. You can easily go in a run and win 5 in a row and lose 5 in a row. Especially in this part of the season.
We are not "nailed in top 4" but also we have 8 points advantage over Liverpool.
Playing away against two rivals is a slight concern but i am confident that we will finish in top 4.

RedRocket9908

Spurs are now only 2 points behind us (having played a game more) and if Newcastle win today they will be only 6 behind us with a game in hand and we have to play both of tbem away so if we keep playing the way we played today we could well end up missing out on top 4.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A win today would have been a big buffer but we're in a serious battle for it now.

The fatigue in April will be severe. Gonna be lots of dropped points.

gajender

What's a realistic number of points for 4 th place this year?

I'm thinking maybe 65-67 points, so as a minimum another 6 wins from 12 games should be enough.
Considering remaining fixtures of all top four contenders that's about right , 68 points might should be good for third .

United could easing bungle rest of the season and even then should easily finish in top 4 .

Nero

A win today would have been a big buffer but we're in a serious battle for it now.

The fatigue in April will be severe. Gonna be lots of dropped points.
How can two points be the difference between a big buffer and serious battle?

Vapor trail

Poor result the pressure is on. Feels like the cup win has given some form of conclusion to a season when there's plenty of games left. Players took their foot off the gas has Shaw highlighted in his interview. The players and manager need to get onside with closing out the games. Every top team has sustained injuries this season it's how to adapt that's important.

peridigm

Spurs are now only 2 points behind us (having played a game more) and if Newcastle win today they will be only 6 behind us with a game in hand and we have to play both of tbem away so if we keep playing the way we played today we could well end up missing out on top 4.
You're assuming neither will drop points themselves.

cyberman

Newcastle playing at home to Wolves currently and Forest on Friday two very winnable games. Win both plus beat Man United on 2nd of April they'll be ahead on scoring difference. Man United very much in a top four race and dropping points at home to Southampton certainly hasn't helped matters.
Why are they winnable? Surely you could say that about most others fixtures as well?
I’m sitting here watching them somehow avoid another Pope red card and penalty, nothings that much winnable