Race for Top 5 finish - Possible 5 teams in CL next season

miliebrowndivorceattorney

I get what you are saying but I think Spurs could easily go 5 wins 1 draw 4 defeats which is 69 points and I see Villa being more effective with 4 wins 3 Draws 3 Defeats that’s 15 points and 70 points. United need 8 wins 0 draws 2 defeats or 7 wins 2 draws 1 defeats.

We need 23 or 24 points to be absolutely sure and the next three games tell us everything, Brentford (A) very difficult, Chelsea(A), they might think they can win 8 of their 11 games, they’ve played City and Liverpool twice, they have United and Spurs at home and only Arsenal and Villa away who they’ve beaten already at Villa park. If they put a 25/26 point run from last 11 games they could still cause huge problems, unlike us they’ve given City two tough games this season and then we play Liverpool who may have knocked us out of the FA cup by then!

I’m simply not convinced ETH can get 4 points out of those 3 games let alone 7 or 9 !
Well, for sure ETH has got a good run of games to show INEOS and us exactly why we should back him as manager, and aside of that, a lot of our squad - wich one is worth keeping and wich one isn't (Rashford for instance. Nevermind Antony, who knows, can somehow redeem himself or make himself attractive for offers this summer).

If we don't make it, then maybe Europa League is just as fine for we need to be rebuilding and not get into hot headed decision making again.

I also had us safe at p4 at around 22 points but with todays result it is maybe a bit harsh, and even if 20 points is enough it will mean a very, very good run is needed from us. But, likewise, Spurs and by God, Villa have one helluva run too.

Evenso, between us, Spurs and Villa, it is going to be very exciting! Bring it on!

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Don't think this is possible with the new format next season.
Teams finishing 9-24 go into a play off knockout and the winners go through to the next round of the champs league and losers drop into Europa league. Teams 25th and below go out.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Winning a leg I mean. Each game represents points.
That doesn't really change my point.

As things stand:

Italy - 17.714
Germany - 16.357
England - 16.250

Any additional points England gain are also essentially divided by eight, while Italy's and Germany's will be divided by seven, as the association coefficient is averaged over the total number of teams that competed that season.

Where the Champions League is concerned, England and Germany both have two sides left. Importantly, both of England's are on the same side of the draw, while Germany's are separated and so can potentially meet in the final. An English side and a German side are also drawn together.

In the Europa League, Germany have one team, England have two, and Italy have three. Italy are also guaranteed at least one semi-finalist, while the two English sides are drawn against an Italian and German side respectively.

In the Conference league, England and Italy have one each.

I'd give England the edge still, because I probably make City, Liverpool and Villa the favourites for their respective competitions, but at the same time, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Madrid (or Bayern) beat City, Liverpool to falter by prioritising the league, and the Conference League is ultimately anyone's game.

It's simply not that clear cut.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Teams finishing 9-24 go into a play off knockout and the winners go through to the next round of the champs league and losers drop into Europa league. Teams 25th and below go out.
I thought they'd scrapped the dropping to the next competition bit?

All three have the same format, there's no room anymore for any teams to drop into the competition below.

36 team league stage. Top 8 progress automatically to the round of 16, 9-24 enter a play-off round, the winners of which also progress to the round of 16. The losers of the play-off and the teams that finish 25-36 are simply knocked out.

I'm not sure how there's room for the play-off round losers to drop a competition.

Red00012

I thought they'd scrapped the dropping to the next competition bit?

All three have the same format, there's no room anymore for any teams to drop into the competition below.

36 team league stage. Top 8 progress automatically to the round of 16, 9-24 enter a play-off round, the winners of which also progress to the round of 16. The losers of the play-off and the teams that finish 25-36 are simply knocked out.

I'm not sure how there's room for the play-off round losers to drop a competition.
You’re right , there’s no dropping down next year

Red00012

Don't they, Spurs, have to play Chelsea as well? Postponed end of February. Away game.
Yes they have Chelsea also I’ve it in the OP as the last game but needs to be fixed . Which is why some of this Utd have no chance rubbish is absurd .

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Spurs are always gonna Spurs and it would be the Spuriest thing that has ever Spursed if we somehow piped Spurs to that 5th champions league place.
It's not though is it?

Literally nothing can top finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Chumpsbechumps

Villa and spurs are gonna at least try and give us a chance to get into the top 5

edit ah feck , 2nd West Ham goal dissallowed

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Well well. I had West Ham - Aston Villa as a definite 3 points for Villa. Another recalculation and I have them now ending with 65 pts. That would mean we now need 19 from 6 winnable games and a draw against Chelsea, Arsenal or LFC would get us top 5 for sure.

RyRy11

It'd be just like United to get this result Yesterday and then not kick on from it. We need a title run form but its still possible, considering Villa re still in Europe and the fixtures they have remaining, it should be them we are looking to reel in. 5th should be enough this season.

Paul778

It'd be just like United to get this result Yesterday and then not kick on from it. We need a title run form but its still possible, considering Villa re still in Europe and the fixtures they have remaining, it should be them we are looking to reel in. 5th should be enough this season.
You are kidding right. We have not put in two good performances in a row during the whole season. We've got a lot of ground to catch up and we have a manager wedded to an approach that hasn't worked all season with extremely poor in game management.

I agree we would need to have a title run like run of form over the next 9 games to claw back 5th place now. Looking at the fixtures it's only Sheff Utd and Burnley that even look like easy games on paper. Remember we've just been deservedly beaten by Brentford and Fulham.

Does anyone think we can get 3pt at home to Arsenal Newcastle and Liverpool? And 3pts away to Chelsea and Brighton?

AndySmith1990

Does anyone think we can get 3pt at home to Arsenal Newcastle and Liverpool? And 3pts away to Chelsea and Brighton?
We'll get 3 points against one of them, confidence will be high, we'll have turned a corner, began a new dawn, yada yada. Only to lose the next game. Rinse repeat

Pintu

We have just recently beaten Liverpool to knock them out of the FA Cup.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
You are kidding right. We have not put in two good performances in a row during the whole season. We've got a lot of ground to catch up and we have a manager wedded to an approach that hasn't worked all season with extremely poor in game management.

I agree we would need to have a title run like run of form over the next 9 games to claw back 5th place now. Looking at the fixtures it's only Sheff Utd and Burnley that even look like easy games on paper. Remember we've just been deservedly beaten by Brentford and Fulham.

Despite United lacking consistency and ETH's suicidal football in efforts to revamp the team, they are still capable of being game raising c**** ( a term i first learnt on the CAF many moons ago).

Liverpool have been recent victims.

AndySmith1990

Despite United lacking consistency and ETH's suicidal football in efforts to revamp the team, they are still capable of being game raising c**** ( a term i first learnt on the CAF many moons ago).

Liverpool have been recent victims.
I've more confidence in us beating Arsenal or Liverpool than Sheffield United. You just know it'll be another half arsed lazy performance against the latter

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Brentford game is a huge hit. Before the game i was optimistic because Spurs have touvh schedule but now.....our chances are so so slim.

Superden

Even if manage 6 wins from our last 9...which is a big IF, spurs need 3 from 8. So yeah it's done.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Brentford game is a huge hit. Before the game i was optimistic because Spurs have touvh schedule but now.....our chances are so so slim.
Agreed. If we were playing consistently well then I’d believe we have a chance, but after what we witnessed on Saturday night then I think we will be hard pressed to put together the required run, I’m not sure we deserve CL football over the course of this season and we aren’t good enough to compete next year either. Honestly I think EL is our level right now and better to try and win that and bring some silverware home.

sepulturite

Closer to 12th than 5th

Far more likely West Ham and Newcastle overtake us than we catch Spurs
The two teams that drew last night you mean? They're just as shite as we are, so we'll stay 6th more than likely.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Knew as soon as it was made clear last year that there could be 5 teams in the CL this season that we will finish 6th.

hobbers

The two teams that drew last night you mean? They're just as shite as we are, so we'll stay 6th more than likely.
If we take zero points in the next two games theres a fair chance both and Brighton will be level with us.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
We will lose CL places to us. Even if Spurs and Villa lose all their remaining matches, we will find a way to lose more.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Closer to 12th than 5th

Far more likely West Ham and Newcastle overtake us than we catch Spurs
Indeed.
And we are performing like a 12th place team.
Only if we were to win all our remaining games would be even remotely deserve a CL place.

Woziak

Lack of effort by the players against mighty Brentford tells me they know it's done also.
Absolutely Spurs and Villa, even if they have a disasterous run in and get 9 points that’s 2 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats which is highly unlikely for both, maybe possible for one especially with both playing the top 3 and teams trying to stay in the league, the more likely scenario is their awful form is probably 3 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats which is 71 points for Villa and 69 for Spurs.

Therefore United need 22 points from 27 to be in serious contention. Thats 7 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. I said with 10 games we need at least 23 points which was 7wins 2 draws and 1 defeat or 8 wins, 2 defeats.

I just don’t see United getting 7wins from 9 left, They won’t beat Chealsea(A), Livrrpool(H), Brighton(A), Newcastle(H) and Arsenal(H) and will probably drop at least 3-4 points against Bournemouth(A), Sheff UTD(H), Palace(A) and Burnley(H)

If we are being honest, with More injuries now like Licha and Victor out for a month and two games back to back Thursday and Sunday. I think the next two we get 0 or 1 point, we might finish with 4 wins because the players must have another clause about no European football effecting their wages by even more.

I genuinely think we might Win 4 Draw 2 Lose 3 from our last 9 games but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was 4 wins 1 draw 4 defeats in line with how we’ve played all season. The club finish on 61/62 points.

Newcastle run is very favourable and I can easily see them getting 16/17 points, if they beat us they will get 6th place plus they have a far superior GD, West Ham will finish 8th or 9th and Brighton will finish 8th or 9th, both these teams will be 55-59 points. Its simple United need 7 points in next three games to be on 55 points and have a chance of 70 points with last 6 games which are in their own right very tough.

Just can’t see it, the reality check this season is if we finish 6th which guarantees Europa League Football, even that is unjust with the brand of football we’ve played, but would allow for a new Elite Coach like Naigelsman to have a genuine chance of wining that trophy next season.

The Europa league under the new format also includes 8 matches in group/League phase then potentially 17 games, that’s a lot of football.

Red00012

I thought there was a glimmer of hope but then I tuned into the Brentford game Saturday night .

always_hoping

Absolutely Spurs and Villa, even if they have a disasterous run in and get 9 points that’s 2 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats which is highly unlikely for both, maybe possible for one especially with both playing the top 3 and teams trying to stay in the league, the more likely scenario is their awful form is probably 3 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats which is 71 points for Villa and 69 for Spurs.

Therefore United need 22 points from 27 to be in serious contention. Thats 7 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. I said with 10 games we need at least 23 points which was 7wins 2 draws and 1 defeat or 8 wins, 2 defeats.

I just don’t see United getting 7wins from 9 left, They won’t beat Chealsea(A), Livrrpool(H), Brighton(A), Newcastle(H) and Arsenal(H) and will probably drop at least 3-4 points against Bournemouth(A), Sheff UTD(H), Palace(A) and Burnley(H)

If we are being honest, with More injuries now like Licha and Victor out for a month and two games back to back Thursday and Sunday. I think the next two we get 0 or 1 point, we might finish with 4 wins because the players must have another clause about no European football effecting their wages by even more.

I genuinely think we might Win 4 Draw 2 Lose 3 from our last 9 games but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was 4 wins 1 draw 4 defeats in line with how we’ve played all season. The club finish on 61/62 points.

Newcastle run is very favourable and I can easily see them getting 16/17 points, if they beat us they will get 6th place plus they have a far superior GD, West Ham will finish 8th or 9th and Brighton will finish 8th or 9th, both these teams will be 55-59 points. Its simple United need 7 points in next three games to be on 55 points and have a chance of 70 points with last 6 games which are in their own right very tough.

Just can’t see it, the reality check this season is if we finish 6th which guarantees Europa League Football, even that is unjust with the brand of football we’ve played, but would allow for a new Elite Coach like Naigelsman to have a genuine chance of wining that trophy next season.

The Europa league under the new format also includes 8 matches in group/League phase then potentially 17 games, that’s a lot of football.
What makes Naegelsmann elite? one Bundesliga title is the amount of trophies he's won and for most managers that's low hanging fruit when managing Bayern Munich and they didn't keep him on very long after that win. A clear out of this current group of consistently inconsistent and injury prone United players should be the priority now regardless of manager and that will probably take a few transfer windows.

The expanded version wasn't needed for the Champions league and even less so for the Europa League.

Woziak

What makes Naegelsmann elite? one Bundesliga title is the amount of trophies he's won and for most managers that's low hanging fruit when managing Bayern Munich and they didn't keep him on very long after that win. A clear out of this current group of consistently inconsistent and injury prone United players should be the priority now regardless of manager and that will probably take a few transfer windows.

The expanded version wasn't needed for the Champions league and even less so for the Europa League.
He’s not totally elite but he’s so young he has the potential to be elite, CL SF with RB Leipzig and a credible 2nd and 3rd place in a better league than the Dutch league, the team that won BL also scored 97 goals in 34 games, that’s suggests to me he knows how to play attacking football, he’s still only 37 which means he’s still learning, if he becomes the coach I think he could in his early 40’s then he makes an awful lot more sense than McKenna, De Zerbie, Southgate or Potter, listen if Madrid sack Ancelotti because City dump them out the CL, he would clearly be my first choice.

Julian Naigelsman will win big trophies, he might even win the Euros this summer for Germany when nobody gives them a chance?

Red & White

Villa getting battered. Such a shame we didn’t hold onto that 1-0 lead for the 3 minutes required against Brentford, we’d still be in with a shout now.

RuudTom83

With Chelsea and Liverpool next there is no point getting any hope up whatsoever.

Irwin99

Don't do this to yourselves (although i do fancy us to beat Chelsea if our forwards can be bothered to show up tomorrow).

It's so frustrating because it's obvious that while Villa and Spurs are good sides they will drop points. If we performed better and didn't feck up stupid games against Fulham and Brentford i'd say we might have had an outside chance. Just can't trust this squad/manager though :(