Race for Top 5 finish - Possible 5 teams in CL next season

SteveCoppellFan

Beat Chelsea and then Liverpool and we are good to go.

We can do this.

Way too much boring negativity in here.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Beat Chelsea and then Liverpool and we are good to go.

We can do this.

Way too much boring negativity in here.
Chelsea will likely be a draw. And I’m not sure we’ve got it in us to beat this Liverpool at this point in their title race.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Chelsea will batter us and even 6th will be in doubt this time tomorrow.

Fulham and Brentford games aren't the reason, playing badly all season is.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Even if we somehow scrape 5th, which I doubt, it’s still not good enough. Manager has to go in the summer.

Matson

Have you not watched Chelsea? There terrible. I really don't expect them to batter us.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Didn’t realise we had a game in hand over Villa. Win both of them and we’re 5 pts behind. A massive task though. The way we’re playing we’ll just take it 1 game at a time

DJ_21

Have you not watched Chelsea? There terrible. I really don't expect them to batter us.
Brentford are terrible… you seen there stats tonight? We have an habit of making teams look quality. Chelsea couldn’t beat a 10 man Burnley. They’ll probably beat us and we’ll make them look a lot better than they are.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Didn’t realise we had a game in hand over Villa. Win both of them and we’re 5 pts behind. A massive task though. The way we’re playing we’ll just take it 1 game at a time
If we had beaten Brentford maybe.

But looking at all the games remaining it’s just too much now. The margin of error was tiny and it would be miraculous if we got in.

DJ_21

If we had beaten Brentford maybe.

But looking at all the games remaining it’s just too much now. The margin of error was tiny and it would be miraculous if we got in.
Spurs still have to play the top 3. Villa still have to play the top 2.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Doesn’t really matter when teams play us. Brentford have been horrible for several months yet looked amazing.

mu4c_20le

Having played a game more. If we win tomorrow it’s back down to 6. And Villa have played 2 more than us
We basically need to be near perfect, and hope they collapse. Problem is, I don't even see them bottling it as a certain thing anymore. Under Ange they have a kind of resolve, right up until the final whistle.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Spurs still have to play the top 3. Villa still have to play the top 2.
Ok so let’s say Spurs drop 9 points. Villa drop 6.

We still have to beat Liverpool for that to work in our favour.

BorisManUtd

Since the start of 2024 we've had 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses in league. Villa have had 5 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses. Spurs 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses. My point is - we've done as good as those 2 teams over last couple of months. Got in trouble earlier, like in December when we lost to Newcastle, Bournemouth, West Ham and Forest. That month was most damaging to us league wise.

DJ_21

Ok so let’s say Spurs drop 9 points. Villa drop 6.

We still have to beat Liverpool for that to work in our favour.
I’m more confident about playing Liverpool at OT than Chelsea away tomorrow to be honest. Even though Liverpool are miles better. We seem to raise our game against the bigger teams at home. It’s the lower teams we get complacent and play awful.

DJ_21

We basically need to be near perfect, and hope they collapse. Problem is, I don't even see them bottling it as a certain thing anymore. Under Ange they have a kind of resolve, right up until the final whistle.
We have to get the win tomorrow to have gained any advantage this week with spurs and villa both dropping points.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’m more confident about playing Liverpool at OT than Chelsea away tomorrow to be honest. Even though Liverpool are miles better. We seem to raise our game against the bigger teams at home. It’s the lower teams we get complacent and play awful.
I just can’t see it. We had to fight so much to beat them in the cup and I don’t know if we’ve got it in us.

VivaRonaldo85

Nailed on 6th place finish incoming. That’s as high as we can expect based on our league performances this season. You can’t keep getting away with it over 38 games.

Bertie Wooster

They're still catchable as given their tough run in and inconsistency they'll probably drop points - but with our own injuries, tough run in and inconsistency, I really can't see us putting a good enough run together to catch up the points.

At this stage, I'm more concerned about whether we can win the FA Cup to be honest. Where we are, I'd fully take sixth place and a trophy as 5th place seems highly unlikely (though so does beating City should they, as likely, reach the final).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bournemouth are actually 7 points off you now, that will be an interesting game down there considering what they did at Old Trafford. They must've had 20 odd shots in that game so I'd actually say that was worse than Brentford given you were at home for that one.

eire-red

Bournemouth are actually 7 points off you now, that will be an interesting game down there considering what they did at Old Trafford. They must've had 20 odd shots in that game so I'd actually say that was worse than Brentford given you were at home for that one.
The depressing reality is that Bournemouth didn't play all that different or superior from many other teams we've faced this season (home and away). They just took their chances.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It's like what 8 points at present? CL is long gone, which is doubly annoying because I'd rather not be in conference league at all.

Judas

Open to offers
it's beyond mental we're as high in the table as we are, really makes you realise that the PL isn't particularly that strong. If we managed to get top 5 it would be one of the rare instances where the table is actually lying. We don't deserve it, and we won't get it.

Pintu

It's like what 8 points at present? CL is long gone, which is doubly annoying because I'd rather not be in conference league at all.
It is potentially five points from Villa and six from Spurs.

Totally doable, I am convinced that one of them (I’d bet on Villa… but Spurs are Spurs) will collapse and pick up a maximum of 6/7 points from the remaining fixtures, if I am right, and Villa gets 6 points, they will end the season at 65. Given our piss poor GD we would need 66 points. That’s about 18 from the remaining 9 games.

This was my (optimistic) prediction before the Brentford game. A total of 21 points. If we keep on we’ll get 20 more… (so 2 points above our goal, meaning we can afford to draw one of the W)

Home:
Liverpool, N’Castle, Burnley, Arsenal, Sheffield
D…………...W…………..W……………L…………..W

Away:
Brentford, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton.
D.…………...W……………..W…………………W……………..D

Last edited:

DJ_21

It is potentially five points from Villa and six from Spurs.

Totally doable, I am convinced that one of them (I’d bet on Villa… but Spurs are Spurs) will collapse and pick up a maximum of 6/7 points from the remaining fixtures, if I am right, and Villa gets 6 points, they will end the season at 65. Given our piss poor GD we would need 66 points. That’s about 18 from the remaining 9 games.

This was my (optimistic) prediction before the Brentford game. A total of 21 points. If we keep on we’ll get 20 more… (so 2 points above our goal, meaning we can afford to draw one of the W)

Home:
Liverpool, N’Castle, Burnley, Arsenal, Sheffield
D…………...W…………..W……………L…………..W

Away:
Brentford, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton.
D.…………...W……………..W…………………W……………..D
4 tricky away games. Bournemouth and palace could easily beat us the way we play. We’ll be lucky to get 6pts from them.

FootballAI

The Chelsea game today will be a good turnaround for this season. 0-1 score is my prediction. This match and the one vs Liverpool are must win, do or die.

Havak

Pokemon master
I said it to a few friends in the footy chat and even in a post on here somewhere I think.

As good as Villa & Spurs are/have been, they will absolutely give us a chance. They'll drop enough points in the run-in for any good team to catch them. But we're not a good team and we won't take that chance.

It's super frustrating as I can honestly see us getting 5-6 points more than the pair of them even with our sporadic form (within games themselves as Nev says). If the players just applied themselves more they'd probably snatch it, but it's as if they don't even want it!