Racist Attack On A Sikh Child

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Makes me desperately sad to see this. And it's being filmed

Sylar

This is happening more and more and isnt surprising.

I keep reading that the kids need educating, but its not only that, (and without throwing stuff out by not knowing the full story) its the parents who probably encourage this, and its not even a surprise when we see the behaviour of those in charge.

fergosaurus

Hard to watch things like that. Kids can be so cruel and the victim will likely be psychologically scarred. Hopefully the bullies are punished with and educated on the damage they're causing.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Little feckers should be expelled and reported to the police.
That poor boy will hopefully not be too traumatised. The two boys will be expelled immediately and no other school will take them on (they will be followed and hounded online forever now). Their parents, if they have any shame, will be shamed online forever too.

Charlton school will lose a lot of rating points and possibly funding. A shit day all round really.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
That poor boy will hopefully not be too traumatised. The two boys will be expelled immediately and no other school will take them on (they will be followed and hounded online forever now). Their parents, if they have any shame, will be shamed online forever too.

Charlton school will lose a lot of rating points and possibly funding. A shit day all round really.
I doubt they'll be expelled, maybe excluded. Expulsion is quite a heavy punishment and I think requires approval from several people in the school's administration (or whatever you call it)

Inigo Montoya

Sadly I wonder if they will. My colleagues son who is openly gay was beaten up by 5 boys in his school and his jaw was broken- it was a hate crime and treated as such by the police. However the kids who perpetrated the attack were not expelled. As it was GCSE year, their 'human rights' were cited by the school in letting them back in.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The response from the school is pathetic.

Incident Response 25.11.2020
Charlton School is aware of an incident that took place on Friday 13 November involving a number of our students, on their way home from school.

Charlton School is aware of an incident that took place on Friday 13 November involving a number of our students, on their way home from school.

We have taken swift, immediate and appropriate action, including sanctions and targeted intervention for the perpetrators. A police investigation is ongoing, and we are co-operating fully.

Charlton School works hard to provide a safe, nurturing environment where proactive measures are taken to ensure students are protected from any types of bullying.

Although this incident did not take place during the normal hours of the school day, we have taken full responsibility for working with all students involved, and the wider school community, to prevent any further such incident from occurring.

We are in contact with the parents of all those involved, who tell us they are satisfied with the actions we have taken. The school is also working closely with the local Sikh community and it’s leaders at this time.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Little shits, cowardly bullying.

But have I missed something? Other than the victim being Sikh, what is there to suggest this is racist and not just little shits being little shits?

Sylar

Children have to be in full time education right? So... if they are expelled, what happens? I guess another school takes them, but I dont think this will be lesson learnt (learned? learnt?).
So would that mean home schooling in worst case scenario? I mean these kids would have influences (most likely at home) so they wont be 'learning' whats right and wrong.

That response from the school reads of as 'shit people have tagged us on social media, so lets put out a vague response, where we acknowledge its our students, but its outside of our school thats why we werent doing anything, but we will do something now, but were not sure what we can do, so lets say we will do something and hopefully people stop mentioning it'

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sadly I wonder if they will. My colleagues son who is openly gay was beaten up by 5 boys in his school and his jaw was broken- it was a hate crime and treated as such by the police. However the kids who perpetrated the attack were not expelled. As it was GCSE year, their 'human rights' were cited by the school in letting them back in.
It's all about online exposure really. Sounds like your colleague's son, or his bullies, didn't get enough of that despite the police case. If there is enough exposure on this lad's case then the school can't just brush it under the carpet and their hand will be forced.

I know my kids' school would expel them here. Depends what standards Charlton follows.

Chief123

Makes me desperately sad to see this. And it's being filmed
Absolutely disgusting. Vile behaviour. The parents should be mortified but I fear they won’t be.

Whether it was racially motivated we don’t know. But just the bullying aspect is bad enough.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The response from the school is pathetic.

how is that pathetic?

Incident Response 25.11.2020

We have taken swift, immediate and appropriate action, including sanctions and targeted intervention for the perpetrators. A police investigation is ongoing, and we are co-operating fully.

Charlton School works hard to provide a safe, nurturing environment where proactive measures are taken to ensure students are protected from any types of bullying.

Although this incident did not take place during the normal hours of the school day, we have taken full responsibility for working with all students involved, and the wider school community, to prevent any further such incident from occurring.

We are in contact with the parents of all those involved, who tell us they are satisfied with the actions we have taken
. The school is also working closely with the local Sikh community and it’s leaders at this time.

I would say that until a police investigation is finished their hands are somewhat tied as to what exactly they can do - though they have taken some immediate action, and are in contact with the parents (... which Im assuming your not ) who are satisfied

so what should they have done?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Starting to think we really need some form of real punishment to make kids scared of crossing the line. I know Borstals were probably too brutal, but at least that gave people somewhere they were scared of ending up. Not saying they should just go back to that, but a modern alternative perhaps. We're raising generations of kids who appear to just not give a shit about what they do, because there's no real consequences unless they end up actually killing someone.

K Stand Knut

Little shits, cowardly bullying.

But have I missed something? Other than the victim being Sikh, what is there to suggest this is racist and not just little shits being little shits?
good question.

Again, unless I’ve missed something, could this not be some kids who have issues with each other having a scrap??

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
how is that pathetic?

I would say that until a police investigation is finished their hands are somewhat tied as to what exactly they can do - though they have taken some immediate action, and are in contact with the parents (... which Im assuming your not ) who are satisfied

so what should they have done?
Pathetic that it took so long after the incident to make a statement - and only because it went viral on social media. If not for the video, they would have brushed it under the carpet and made no statements at all.

Pathetic saying that "it didn't take place during the normal hours of the school day" - regardless of what follows, it makes it sound like because it wasn't during the school day, they're not responsible for the actions of their students who were wearing the uniform at the time.

Pathetic for not saying what exactly they're going to do to prevent another incident from happening in future.

Pathetic for not taking a tougher stance, though I concede their hands are tied to an extent with an investigation presumably ongoing.

Ultimately, it, like their last Ofsted rating, is Inadequate, and the replies to the statement seem to concur.

Maticmaker

how is that pathetic?
Its not pathetic, the school has to respond first within the law, then within school policy and procedures.
The key issue here seems to be the incident occurred outside the school on the public highway and is therefore first and foremost an issue for the Police to deal with, thereafter the School can step in with its Authority intact and its policy and procedures can be initiated.

It seems clear from the photo, its not a 'one-on-one boys will be boys' type incident, the lad is being violently assaulted (legs up in his groin) by at least two characters, both seem to be trying to conceal their identity (heads covered), so a prima-facia case of violent assault can be shown from the photo, whatever else the Police might undercover about the background to the attack, racist, unprovoked, etc.

Another interesting thing, who took the photograph how did they know when and where it was going to take place and are they therefore complicit in the attack?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Starting to think we really need some form of real punishment to make kids scared of crossing the line. I know Borstals were probably too brutal, but at least that gave people somewhere they were scared of ending up. Not saying they should just go back to that, but a modern alternative perhaps. We're raising generations of kids who appear to just not give a shit about what they do, because there's no real consequences unless they end up actually killing someone.
Nail on the head, these little feckers behave like this because they can, and no serious consequences arise for them.

Inigo Montoya

good question.

Again, unless I’ve missed something, could this not be some kids who have issues with each other having a scrap??
You've missed 2 kids trying to kick the hell out of a lad on his own.

Scrap? Hardly

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hard to watch things like that. Kids can be so cruel and the victim will likely be psychologically scarred. Hopefully the bullies are punished with and educated on the damage they're causing.
Tbh it goes beyond bullying when they kicking and punching someone.
Hopefully the kid is ok.

Inigo Montoya

Out of interest, what do we think one should do if you ever walked past something like this? Should you try to intervene, citizens arrest or what?
Where minors are concerned, you really are on dodgy ground. While it's being filmed the kids could say you assaulted them. Teachers could get involved and then cite an adequate level of intervention as it's their school kids but an ordinary bloke? very tricky.

My eldest is a teacher in a secondary and has told me that female teachers getting involved usually leads to the incident stopping whereas a male is seen as a challenge and the boys usually kick off more.

The other thing as well these days is, who'd get involved if they thought the kids carried knives? This is South London with a high propensity of knife crime

Inigo Montoya

Its not pathetic, the school has to respond first within the law, then within school policy and procedures.
The key issue here seems to be the incident occurred outside the school on the public highway and is therefore first and foremost an issue for the Police to deal with, thereafter the School can step in with its Authority intact and its policy and procedures can be initiated.

It seems clear from the photo, its not a 'one-on-one boys will be boys' type incident, the lad is being violently assaulted (legs up in his groin) by at least two characters, both seem to be trying to conceal their identity (heads covered), so a prima-facia case of violent assault can be shown from the photo, whatever else the Police might undercover about the background to the attack, racist, unprovoked, etc.

Another interesting thing, who took the photograph how did they know when and where it was going to take place and are they therefore complicit in the attack?
It's being filmed as it often will. All kids have phones these days. Some are strolling on while one thinks it's a good thing to film. Hard to state their complicity if they can say ' I saw it and decided to film it.'

Lay

That brought back memories of when I was a kid. I’m Sikh too and had the top knot. The students would constantly try to take it off and I’d get attacked after school regularly.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Out of interest, what do we think one should do if you ever walked past something like this? Should you try to intervene, citizens arrest or what?
Personally Id be livid and would have to forceably stop myself from battering those two little racist cnuts to a pulp.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
My eldest is a teacher in a secondary and has told me that female teachers getting involved usually leads to the incident stopping whereas a male is seen as a challenge and the boys usually kick off more.
This is just mental to me. The idea of starting on a teacher would have been just insane when I was a kid. I went to school with some really nutty bastards in a rough area, but even they wouldn't have even thought of doing that.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Honest question: isn't this just what happens at school?

I saw loads of fights by unruly kids, some who were expelled (or not). It didn't happen to me personally but I knew a fair few people who got punched for no reason on their way home, etc. The racism thing isn't clear from the video and I'm not comfortable thinking it's perpetuated only due to it. It could be a factor but knowing kids like the attackers, they tend start on anybody they deem a soft target who they know won't fight back. They like to look 'hard'.

No it's not right.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
That brought back memories of when I was a kid. I’m Sikh too and had the top knot. The students would constantly try to take it off and I’d get attacked after school regularly.
Some of my best friends were Sikhs and it was exactly like you mention. We had to gang up together to protect each other from racists and bullies. Fighting back was the only alternative as teachers and school just pretended it was non-story.

Lay

Some of my best friends were Sikhs and it was exactly like you mention. We had to gang up together to protect each other from racists and bullies. Fighting back was the only alternative as teachers and school just pretended it was non-story.
The head teacher actually told me to get a haircut to stop it happening :lol:

Maticmaker

Nail on the head, these little feckers behave like this because they can, and no serious consequences arise for them.
That is true, for 17 years I taught predominantly male students (of various ethnic backgrounds) from age 15 (prior to ROSLA) up to early 20's (mainly on engineering courses) and was constantly amazed with the things they got away with. My mantra to them was "Things you get away with now, at 25 you will get locked for!".... and I know of a few who made that prediction come true.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This is just mental to me. The idea of starting on a teacher would have been just insane when I was a kid. I went to school with some really nutty bastards in a rough area, but even they wouldn't have even thought of doing that.
It happened at mine. One of the kids got expelled or excluded (I forget) for punching a teacher.

Inigo Montoya

Well in my school days the teachers hit back.

A lot of the teachers were ex WW2 vets. All the older Polish teachers served in the RAF and the younger ones just used to get the older men to give you a fecking good slap.

You never dissed the old Polish guys. Just a look told you...

Was like that scene in Goodfellas where De Niro looks at the guy....you know he's going to die :lol:

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Where minors are concerned, you really are on dodgy ground. While it's being filmed the kids could say you assaulted them. Teachers could get involved and then cite an adequate level of intervention as it's their school kids but an ordinary bloke? very tricky.

The other thing as well these days is, who'd get involved if they thought the kids carried knives? This is South London with a high propensity of knife crime
Its such a minefield. I'd like to think I'd get the lad to safety and hang around until the police arrived. If the kids were any older, I'd be worried about knives these days.

Inigo Montoya

Its such a minefield. I'd like to think I'd get the lad to safety and hang around until the police arrived. If the kids were any older, I'd be worried about knives these days.
If knives had been involved, it'd never have been filmed and one of those kids would be dead.

The fear now is that more boys will carry knives out of self defence, and with any weapon...you carry one, you'll use it

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
That is true, for 17 years I taught predominantly male students (of various ethnic backgrounds) from age 15 (prior to ROSLA) up to early 20's (mainly on engineering courses) and was constantly amazed with the things they got away with. My mantra to them was "Things you get away with now, at 25 you will get locked for!".... and I know of a few who made that prediction come true.
Thank god it wasn't European politics:lol:

Maticmaker

It's being filmed as it often will. All kids have phones these days. Some are strolling on while one thinks it's a good thing to film. Hard to state their complicity if they can say ' I saw it and decided to film it.'
True, cameras are readily available via phones, so maybe not a 'staged event, 'but is it kids doing the filming?
If it is either adults or indeed older kids doing the filming, shouldn't they be trying to stop it, or at least be phoning the Police, if they don't do either, are they then complicit in the act?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

thats my thoughts as well

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I genuinely would have no issue kicking that bullying child in the teeth.