Music Radiohead

jem

Jem, as a Canadian, you should be proud of them. They've done really well.
As a Canadian, I am proud of this

and this

and even this

and, along with Nickelback, am very ashamed of this

this

this

and of course this (what the hell was Michael Madson thinking?!

jem

I'd add Nude, 15 Step, Talk Show Host, You and Whose Army, Reckoner, Street Spirit & Exit Music to a Film to that.

A lot of Radiohead is pretentious bollocks, but that is just too far for me. I grew out of the beret wearing, political t-shirts, "oh my god just listen to the ambience in this" student cuntery when I was 23.

MikeUpNorth thinks the dischordant ambient sounds in Bloom on KOL perfectly recreate the blooming aesthetic of nature. And that's why he's a dick.
Well I love a lot of prog-ish music (Yes, Supertramp, Floyd, etc,) so pretension is part of the game. Brian Eno's On Land is where I go when I want a bit of nature's aesthetic side.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I love how people like to hate Nickelback so much..... In reality, they sell more records than all the indy bands you listen to combined.. x10. Which gives their record label money so those small bands you love to listen to can actually put out an album and distribute. Even if you are not a fan.. you should be thanking them for proving you can still make money in the music industry.

Eboue

Clearly you don't know anything about today's music industry. In this day and age, it's possible for bands to put out records on small, independently owned labels, or even without signing to a label at all. The audience a band reaches doesn't have anything to do with its quality. I love bands with <1000 fans on facebook, who aren't signed to a major label, and guess what? Nickelback ain't doing shit for them. Nickelback sucks.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
To be fair, I don't know nearly enough Nickleback songs to criticise them. But then I'm cool but rude, so gimmie a break.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Clearly you don't know anything about today's music industry. In this day and age, it's possible for bands to put out records on small, independently owned labels, or even without signing to a label at all. The audience a band reaches doesn't have anything to do with its quality. I love bands with <1000 fans on facebook, who aren't signed to a major label, and guess what? Nickelback ain't doing shit for them. Nickelback sucks.
Good lad.

Leg-End

My original copy of OK Computer got stolen when it was inside my radio that some scally half inched from my car about 5 years ago, I like to think I created a new fan..........or fueled a crackheads habit.

Ludens the Red

Are you copying youtube comments Eboue?

To be fair, I don't know nearly enough Nickleback songs to criticise them. But then I'm cool but rude, so gimmie a break.
Go back to page 1, the last post, that song, there are poor starving children in that video, so if you hate the song it means you hate them, it means you hate poor starving children.

Eboue

Are you copying youtube comments Eboue?
....whoever teases nickleback ARE cnuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*!!!!11 THIS BAND IS MAKING BILLIONS N BILLIONS OF TEENAGERS HAPPY AND GET OUT OF THE STAGE OF DEPRESSION AND THIS BAND MAKES PERFECT SENSE THEN THT feckING SHIT U CALL DIRECTION AND JACK OFF BIEBER!!!!! feck EVERYONE WHO HTES NICKLEBACK, FUK OFF!!!

Mockney

Go back to page 1, the last post, that song, there are poor starving children in that video, so if you hate the song it means you hate them, it means you hate poor starving children.
I've always hated poor starving Children. It's their fault they're poor and starving. They should work harder. Or borrow money off their dad.

jem

I've always hated poor starving Children. It's their fault they're poor and starving. They should work harder. Or borrow money off their dad.
Yeah I can't stand poor starving children fanboys.

Ludens the Red

Fascists!

....whoever teases nickleback ARE cnuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*!!!!11 THIS BAND IS MAKING BILLIONS N BILLIONS OF TEENAGERS HAPPY AND GET OUT OF THE STAGE OF DEPRESSION AND THIS BAND MAKES PERFECT SENSE THEN THT feckING SHIT U CALL DIRECTION AND JACK OFF BIEBER!!!!! feck EVERYONE WHO HTES NICKLEBACK, FUK OFF!!!
True, especially for guys. It's a well known fact that after listening to Nickelback, a girl will immediately want to perform fellatio.

Mockney

Anyone who says "dreary" hasn't listened to The Bends or In Rainbows. Or is confusing "dreary" with "not upbeat"

Tbf, If you don't like ANY of these, you're a cnut.

* Actual Version

Oh, yeah, Leroy, Muse stopped copying them after their first album. Uh huh.

I really like Muse, but everything past 2.50 is 60% of Muse songs. And it was written in 1996. Of the other 40%, 20% are Queen, and 20% are Classic standards Bellamy learnt as a child.

And again, I like them. But better than Radiohead, or stopped being influenced after Showbiz? Pschhh. Char blud.

Laphroaig

They certainly keep you guessing with each album. I do think Thom Yorke is a bit limited as a lyricist. He tends to latch onto a phrase and repeat it over and over again, but it sounds so good that you can forgive him for it (kind of a musical version of Antonio Valencia - well last season's version at least. This year Valencia has become a bit Pablo Honey.)
A bit limited? He's not a lyricist at all. That doesn't take away from his (disputed) musical accomplishments, but he's clearly a shit lyricist.

I've a strange relationship with Radiohead. I think they've made a couple of rather good albums with some brilliant moments, but they're one of those bands I had my fill with quite early on. They're a fine band but laughably overrated. They didn't really revolutionize anything and it's all a matter of taste - and availability. Radiohead is great compared to most stuff, but if you have a look around you'll find a lot of rewarding and challenging music. OK Computer might well be the most overrated album of the 90s. Not because it's a bad album of course, but because of the sacred status it has miraculously achieved. (Let's be honest here... 3/4 or something like that of the album is a fecking bore.)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Radiohead? Average?

Your opinion on music is forever voided.
Nah, they're just a band I've never understood the hype over. I neither like their sound nor the singers voice/vocal style.

Also, they seem to be rated much higher here than anywhere else I've noticed.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
If we are going for alt prog sounds then Tool have to be the band leading the way for me. Tool are like Radiohead minus the self conscious hipster wankerness.

dmode

I love the popular songs like Creep but I have never enjoyed listening to anything other than Pablo Honey. I prefer the Smashing Pumpkins.

Ludens the Red

Oh, yeah, Leroy, Muse stopped copying them after their first album. Uh huh.

I really like Muse, but everything past 2.50 is 60% of Muse songs. And it was written in 1996. Of the other 40%, 20% are Queen, and 20% are Classic standards Bellamy learnt as a child.

And again, I like them. But better than Radiohead, or stopped being influenced after Showbiz? Pschhh. Char blud.
:lol: Exit Music has been thrown my way a few times and I concede there's a number of Muse songs(beyond Showbiz even) where that style is incorporated but it's rare. You may get one Radioheadish sounding song per Muse album, Origin of Symmetry (Screenager), Absolution (Blackout) Resistance (Exogenesis). But it's not common. And Muses best work sounds nothing like Radiohead. Muse are more exciting with their music, Radiohead are just a little bit dull.

Ahh, you're so wrong about the bit in bold. Muse are very experimental with their music. I take it you haven't heard the 2nd Law. It's almost hard to believe it's one band producing all those songs.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Look, I know, I know. They love a power ballad. But they're just so good at not being very good that it makes them awesome, somehow. The songs are all about the same thing, sex and drugs but they just deliver these brilliant sing-a-long type songs. I don't know what it is. Nickelback are to music what Michael Bay is to movies what Stoke are to Football, that's the best way I can put it.

Jem, as a Canadian, you should be proud of them. They've done really well.
A pile of steaming wank-residue with all the subtly of an African Elephant stomping around Wimbledon tennis club?

Radiohead are probably the greatest band since the Beatles. Seriously next level, so much so mentioning the Stone Roses and the Smiths (the latter of which being very much superior to the Roses) is laughable, let alone fecking Nickelback even slithering into the conversation.

Radiohead are in the pantheon of the all time greatest bands. Definitive album of the 90's and the 00's. I could go on.

Sally Cinnamon

I just don't get the whole Radiohead-Muse malarky. I can see how some of their songs are clearly heavily influenced by Radiohead, which isn't a bad thing, but I honestly don't think as a whole they are much alike. It's a bit harsh on Muse.

Anyway. Nobody can say who the greatest band ever is but they're easily my favourite. Pixies probably second but a fair bit behind, although they haven't made half as much material to be fair. Wasn't surprised that all the Radiohead members rave about the Pixies and talk about them being their biggest influence.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Pixies are amazing. "Hey" is one of my all time favourite songs.

Ludens the Red

A pile of steaming wank-residue with all the subtly of an African Elephant stomping around Wimbledon tennis club?

Radiohead are probably the greatest band since the Beatles. Seriously next level, so much so mentioning the Stone Roses and the Smiths (the latter of which being very much superior to the Roses) is laughable, let alone fecking Nickelback even slithering into the conversation.

Radiohead are in the pantheon of the all time greatest bands. Definitive album of the 90's and the 00's. I could go on.
Nah he's right, Radiohead fans are notoriously very fanboyish. In the sense that they get very arrogant about how great Radiohead and are quite dismissive to those who don't agree. I've been e-fighting them on the internet for years.
Way to dispel.

And please, do not go on. Listening to a Radiohead fan ramble on is almost as boring as listening to one of their albums. :smirk:

amolbhatia50k

I can never make out what the singer is on about. He sounds like he's crying most of the time. I prefer proper singing.

amolbhatia50k

Art is always lost on some.
Art is subjective. I find the music I listen to these days (current artists) far better put together than that of Radiohead's. Not to mention the old stuff I've always preferred.

Sally Cinnamon

Art is subjective. I find the music I listen to these days (current artists) far better put together than that of Radiohead's. Not to mention the old stuff I've always preferred.
Well it must be mind-blowingly amazing then. Recommendations?

Count Orduck

The lead singer looks and acts as if he's mentally retarded, too, which doesn't help the appeal.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A lot of Radiohead is pretentious bollocks, but that is just too far for me. I grew out of the beret wearing, political t-shirts, "oh my god just listen to the ambience in this" student cuntery when I was 23.
:lol: Sounds like me!

Went through a phase where I loved Radiohead and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, but moved on pretty early. Still thing they're a very good band, and their capacity to reinvent themselves with almost each album is a feat that shouldn't be underevaluated. So many bands just go through an entire career rehashing the same stuff (which isn't a crime in itself, by the way, just a fact), Radiohead really did take the "experimental music band" tag to heart and ran with it.

However, haven't listened to their discography in ages now, but thanks to this thread I think I'll delve back into it and see if I actually still enjoy their stuff.