Music Radiohead

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Are Radiohead not a current artist? Who are these current artists putting music together better than Radiohead?

Sally Cinnamon

:lol: Sounds like me!

Went through a phase where I loved Radiohead and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, but moved on pretty early. Still thing they're a very good band, and their capacity to reinvent themselves with almost each album is a feat that shouldn't be underevaluated. So many bands just go through an entire career rehashing the same stuff (which isn't a crime in itself, by the way, just a fact), Radiohead really did take the "experimental music band" tag to heart and ran with it.

However, haven't listened to their discography in ages now, but thanks to this thread I think I'll delve back into it and see if I actually still enjoy their stuff.
:lol: the only people I can imagine wearing berets is someone in Paris, because it just sounds stereotypically French, or someone not French who already just is a cnut. I don't think liking Radiohead has much to do with it. Sorry Mockney.

Sally Cinnamon

A lot of Radiohead is pretentious bollocks, but that is just too far for me. I grew out of the beret wearing, political t-shirts, "oh my god just listen to the ambience in this" student cuntery when I was 23.

MikeUpNorth thinks the dischordant ambient sounds in Bloom on KOL perfectly recreate the blooming aesthetic of nature. And that's why he's a dick.
:lol:

It's understandable why people didn't take to Kid A, but if some other band/musician came out with tracks like The National Anthem or Idioteque, it would just be normal. They are amazing tunes.

It's strange when people rave over something like Treefingers though. I don't care that it's part of the album or anything and it fits after HTDC but you hear people going on as if it's genius or something.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
And vice versa. The National Anthem is one very simple - and after 5 minutes, very annoying - riff repeated ad infinitum, and ending with some absolute nonsense experimental bollocks. If it wasn't Radiohead, you'd hardly ever hear it brought up in the annals of musical importance.

I do really like Radiohead though, I think OK & Rainbows are masterpieces, and they certainly are one of the very best & most important bands of the last 20 years. I'm perfectly comfortable with their experimentation and that I think large chunks of it is absolute hornswaggle. Often literally. The end of National Anthem does actually sound like someone's swaggling some horns, violently, against their will.

Similarly I like Muse, although a lot less. It doesn't matter that I don't like certain tracks or that certain things are influenced by other things. Bands who can make enough good music in enough different styles should be afforded their indulgences.

Which is why the Stone Roses don't cut it fwiw.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well it must be mind-blowingly amazing then. Recommendations?
Why would it be when I find Radiohead average?

There's quite a bit of good music out there right now. But I'm a huge huge Fleet Foxes fan. So they stand out from the rest in general, for me. But even otherwise I've liked lots of albums over the last few years. Some would be (other than fleet foxes):

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
Joanna Newsom - Have one on me
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
The Decemberists - Love Live the King
Beach House - Bloom
The Lumineers - The Lumineers
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

Again, I don't find all of these amazing, but I like them all to different degrees. And I'm sure there's a lot more out there if I look harder. I'm very passionate about music but pretty selective about what I like.

Are Radiohead not a current artist? Who are these current artists putting music together better than Radiohead?
Btw, I heard OK Computer and while I didn't love it I didn't find it bad. But the new Radiohead album was impossible for me to go through. I thought it was terrible. So I think first you need to realize that not everyone loves them. If you see that as someone's point of view, then the possibility of thinking other artists are doing better stuff is only to be expected rather than just believable.

Sally Cinnamon

And vice versa. The National Anthem is one very simple - and after 5 minutes, very annoying - riff repeated ad infinitum, and ending with some absolute nonsense experimental bollocks. If it wasn't Radiohead, you'd hardly ever hear it brought up in the annals of musical importance.

I do really like Radiohead though, I think OK & Rainbows are masterpieces, and they certainly are one of the very best & most important bands of the last 20 years. I'm perfectly comfortable with their experimentation and that I think large chunks of it is absolute hornswaggle. Often literally. The end of National Anthem does actually sound like someone's swaggling some horns, violently, against their will.

Similarly I like Muse, although a lot less. It doesn't matter that I don't like certain tracks or that certain things are influenced by other things. Bands who can make enough good music in enough different styles should be afforded their indulgences.

Which is why the Stone Roses don't cut it fwiw.
I like a lot of Muse's stuff from their earlier albums too, and the Stone Roses (obviously). The Roses are definitely overrated, love what they've done but they aren't as good as the Smiths who were mentioned at the beginning.

Mockney

Have you listened to any on my "if you don't like ANY of these you're a cnut" list on the previous page amol?

Did you work out whether you were a cnut or not?

None of them are from OK* or King of Limbs.

* Well the last one is, but that was more a Muse reference for Leroy than a cnut barometer.

amolbhatia50k

Have you listened to any on my "if you don't like ANY of these you're a cnut" list on the previous page amol?

Did you work out whether you were a cnut or not?

None of them are from OK* or King of Limbs.

* Well the last one is, but that was more a Muse reference for Leroy than a cnut barometer.
I'll check it out Mockers. I shall remain cuntless irrespective.

Although I don't see the big deal. Music is all about personal taste. I'm sure a lot of people find the music I like boring and lacking "punch" or whatever words kids use these days.

Mockney

I like a lot of Muse's stuff from their earlier albums too, and the Stone Roses (obviously). The Roses are definitely overrated, love what they've done but they aren't as good as the Smiths who were mentioned at the beginning.
Everyone's overrated by their own fans though aren't they? Yeah proper Radiohead junkies will overplay their importance and the deepness of their experimentation, but they engender a lot of loyalty in the main because they are actually very, very good.

Sally Cinnamon

Why would it be when I find Radiohead average?

There's quite a bit of good music out there right now. But I'm a huge huge Fleet Foxes fan. So they stand out from the rest in general, for me. But even otherwise I've liked lots of albums over the last few years. Some would be (other than fleet foxes):

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
Joanna Newsom - Have one on me
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
The Decemberists - Love Live the King
Beach House - Bloom
The Lumineers - The Lumineers
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

Again, I don't find all of these amazing, but I like them all to different degrees. And I'm sure there's a lot more out there if I look harder. I'm very passionate about music but pretty selective about what I like.

Btw, I heard OK Computer and while I didn't love it I didn't find it bad. But the new Radiohead album was impossible for me to go through. I thought it was terrible. So I think first you need to realize that not everyone loves them. If you see that as someone's point of view, then the possibility of thinking other artists are doing better stuff is only to be expected rather than just believable.
I like all of those artists, and I love Fleet Foxes. Weirdly enough, Robin Pecknold has an account one of the Radiohead message boards or something but I don't think he be's on it that much anymore. I think it's atease.com. Remember reading an interview with him a while back about Radiohead. He was pretty obsessed by them.

Ludens the Red

Nickelback. Keep up, Adzzz.
Yeah. You can tell Radiohead were heavily influenced by Nickelback.

With Silver Side Up, Nickelback generally sang about ex-girlfriends (How You Remind Me, Too Bad), but with the Long Road they began experimenting with other things. Instead of ex-girlfriends, they moved onto oral sex (Figured You Out). But with their next offering All The Right Reasons they really began to show their range, this time combining singing about ex-girlfriends (Far Away, Savin Me, Photograph) with oral sex (Animals).....and drugs (quite noticeably the hit song Rockstar combined all three of these elements).

With the release of Dark Horse they began to experiment with songs explicitly referring to oral sex (Something In Your Mouth, I'd Come For You, S.E.X) This is for me, the stage where they surpassed Radiohead. They also introduced a new wave of explicitly titled songs referring to finding a partner (Gotta Be Somebody, Never Gonna Be Alone), . Dark Horse also marked a change in Chad Kroegers vocals. In previous albums he would usually shout under a riff, however with this album, he began shouting over a riff. Incidentally this coincided with a haircut, getting rid of his locks. Take note Thom Yorke.

With their latest release Here And Now, they took their experimenting to extreme levels, for the intro of the love ballad Lullaby, Nickelback would use a piano.
Nickelback are also the first band ever to experiment with taking a song from a previous album, using this exact same song in the latest album but with different lyrics. Noticeable 'twin tracks' are Lullaby/Trying Not To Love You, Someday/How You Remind Me, Burn It to the Ground/This Means War, Bottoms Up/This Afternoon.

Mockney

I
Although I don't see the big deal. Music is all about personal taste. I'm sure a lot of people find the music I like boring and lacking "punch" or whatever words kids use these days.
Of course. The point about Radiohead though is that they've released a lot of very different material, so saying it's "all this that or the other" is more being ignorant than it is being subjective. And I personally feel that regardless of taste, bands who release a very disparate range of music and retain their popularity can actually be called definitively better than ones who don't. Even if I think a lot of their "divergences" have been pretentious arse drivel, they are certainly a very good band.

amolbhatia50k

I like all of those artists, and I love Fleet Foxes. Weirdly enough, Robin Pecknold has an account one of the Radiohead message boards or something but I don't think he be's on it that much anymore. I think it's atease.com. Remember reading an interview with him a while back about Radiohead. He was pretty obsessed by them.
It probably is him. He once posted on a comment on a youtube clip of a song of his. Well, everyone thought it was him at least!

Yeah, I think he's a big Radiohead fan. Saw a video of him and the singer of Grizzly Bear singing a Radiohead song when they were much younger. And I've read about him watching a Grammy award years ago wanting them to win and being disappointed when they didn't.

amolbhatia50k

Of course. The point about Radiohead though is that they've released a lot of very different material, so saying it's "all this that or the other" is more being ignorant than it is being subjective.
I've given a few of their albums a chance. It's just never appealed to me. Artists can experiment all they want but the essense of their music tends to remain and if that doesn't connect with you, there's a chance the music never will.

And I personally feel that regardless of taste, Bands who release a very disparate range of music and retain it's popularity can actually be called definitively better than ones who don't.
Strongly disagree. Popularity is no measure for me personally when I rate/compare music. Kanye West can experiment all he wants. I find his music a load of crap. Tons of unheralded artists that piss all over his stuff which I barely consider music.

Sally Cinnamon

Everyone's overrated by their own fans though aren't they? Yeah proper Radiohead junkies will overplay their importance and the deepness of their experimentation, but they engender a lot of loyalty in the main because they are actually very, very good.
True, just look at football fans, Utd fans will over rate their own players and under rate Liverpool players all the time. Obviously being a fan of a football team is different than being a fan of a band because you love loads of bands but with Radiohead it's just weird. Those who don't like them are as desperate to slag them off than those who love them are to make them out to be the second coming. It's like this with Radiohead more than any other band. Obviously you have people like yourself who will happily admit you think some of their stuff is shit.

I genuinely think all their albums are quality, although Pablo Honey and King of Limbs not as great.

Mockney

I
Strongly disagree. Popularity is no measure for me personally when I rate/compare music. Kanye West can experiment all he wants. I find his music a load of crap. Tons of unheralded artists that piss all over his stuff which I barely consider music.
I didn't say popularity was the main factor. Changing your style of music repeatedly and continuing to be hugely influential with it is a different matter.

You can't say S Club 7 were better than the Beatles for example, or that Rihanna's Umbrella is a better piece of music than Mozart's Requiem because it's nonsense. You can say you like them more, but you can't say they're better. Even in something as subjective as music there are levels of quality, technical, influential or otherwise that defy your subjectivity.

amolbhatia50k

You can't say S Club 7 were better than the Beatles for example, because it's nonsense. You can say you like them more, but you can't say they're better. Even in something as subjective as music there are levels of quality, technical, influential or otherwise that defy your subjectivity.
Of course, that's an extreme case. But we're talking about music that is generally thought of very highly. The stuff I'm saying is better than Radiohead isn't technically deficient music at all.

Mockney

Of course, that's an extreme case. But we're talking about music that is generally thought of very highly. The stuff I'm saying is better than Radiohead isn't technically deficient music at all.
And I'm not saying it isn't, just making a point about the old "all art is subjective" get out clause you seem to be using a lot. Extreme cases often show the absurdity of it. I can't draw 2 squilley lines on my foot and go "Well you can't tell me that's not better than Van Gough's Sunflowers because all Art is subjective"

amolbhatia50k

Besides, I rate different qualities in music now. I prefer subtler and more earnest stuff these days. Maybe when I liked the usually popular rock bands and the pretentiousness that goes with that, then Radiohead would have appealed to me a little. But given I value other qualities I can't see myself liking them. I'm not saying that to have a dig at them btw. Most rock bands tend to be a bit pretentious and this coming from someone who used to absolutely love rock music.

amolbhatia50k

And I'm not saying it isn't, just making a point about the old "all art is subjective" get out clause you seem to be using a lot. Extreme cases often show the absurdity of it. I can't draw 2 squilley lines on my foot and go "Well you can't tell me that's not better than Van Gough's Sunflowers because all Art is subjective"
Nah, I do agree with that. I'm extremely passionate about music anyway. So I'm not going to take kindly to someone saying Britney Spears is as good as Fleet Foxes due to it being their preference. feck em.

Mockney

Nah, I do agree with that. I'm extremely passionate about music anyway. So I'm not going to take kindly to someone saying Britney Spears is as good as Fleet Foxes due to it being their preference. feck em.
I do agree that when the level of proficiency, or sustained quality, or whatever isn't ridiculously extreme, you can claim subjectivity. For example you're well within your rights to claim other bands are better than Radiohead, obviously. But I don't think you'd be able to say "Radiohead are crap" for example, and excuse that with it. They clearly aren't crap, in the same way that Constable clearly wasn't a crap painter, even if you really don't like his stuff.

amolbhatia50k

I do agree that when the level of proficiency, or sustained quality, or whatever isn't ridiculously extreme, you can claim subjectivity. For example you're well within your rights to claim other bands are better than Radiohead, obviously. But I don't think you'd be able to say "Radiohead are crap" for example, and excuse that with it. They clearly aren't crap, in the same way that Constable clearly wasn't a crap painter, even if you really don't like his stuff.
Yeah fair enough.

Britney Spears is less pretentious than Fleet Foxes.
Get out.

Ludens the Red

Nickelback Vs. Radiohead

First we're going to look at who has the better looking lead singer

Thom
Chad

Granted both are ugly feckers but let's face it, Chad has a slightly less punchable face. 1-0 to Nickelback.
Secondly lets look at fans of the two bands

Nickelback fans -

Radiohead fans -

2-0 Nickelback, no contest

Thirdly, Album covers -

Whilst Radiohead have gone for some arseholeish pretentious art, Nickelback haven't. 3-0 Nickelback

Fourthly Videos -

Look at the effort Nickelback have gone through, look at all the hot sexy ladies. Radiohead couldn't even be bothered to hire a competent camera man.

4-0 Nickelback.

Fifth and finally, song lyrics -

Nickelback - If Today Was Your Last Day

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

I totally get that. It's telling you to live life to the fullest, it's so deep and inspiring. If it wasn't for this song, I'd never have followed my dreams, thank you Nickelback.

Radiohead - Pyramid Song
I jumped in the river and what did I see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me
A moon full of stars and astral cars
All the things I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my past and futures

Clearly this is nothing more than emo propaganda, what Radiohead are saying here is that we should kill ourselves.

5-0 Nickelback. Conclusive proof that Nickelback are better than Radiohead

amolbhatia50k

Fair play for the effort, Leroy.

I don't like Radiohead but Nickelback are absolutely terrible. This isn't even a contest. And that's no great praise for Radiohead. Nickelback make horrible, cliched commercial music with little or no depth. I'm sorry but it's awful.

amolbhatia50k

And even when it comes to the shallow commercial music they make, their first song is easily their best (how you remind me). I actually liked it when I was younger. Since then, I hear them getting more and more pointless, getting progressively worse even in the bracket of music they are in.

Ludens the Red

Fair play for the effort, Leroy.

I don't like Radiohead but Nickelback are absolutely terrible. This isn't even a contest. And that's no great praise for Radiohead. Nickelback make horrible, cliched commercial music with little or no depth. I'm sorry but it's awful.
That is so not true, I cleared that up here https://www.redcafe.net/12509165-post97.html

Good stuff Leroy, looking forward to your Creed v. The Beatles breakdown.
Challenge Accepted

You're gay, you're the one who caftards confused for a girl and made several advances towards :smirk:.