Music Radiohead

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
No free download with the CD? Bullshite.

Zen

Special edition bought....urgh at the price, but the In Rainbows and TKOL ones are worth double now, so no big deal.

Stringer

Just bought the special edition. Expensive but looks very nice.

Nickosaur

Listening now. Burn The Witch and Daydreaming are excellent tunes.
Decks Dark sounds like its 'The Bends', brilliant.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Hmm, I think it's probably a masterpiece but will need to give it a few more listens.

Not sure the lyrics are very strong is my one concern.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Hmm, I think it's probably a masterpiece but will need to give it a few more listens.

Not sure the lyrics are very strong is my one concern.
Kid A is my favourite album of all time, and the lyrics on that are...

It's hardly Blood on the Tracks, lets be honest.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whoever said this would be totally unlike anything they've done before was straight up lying. Sounds instantly more likeable than TKOL though.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
True Love fecking Waits. Brilliant, that song needed to be on an album for years.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Overrated. They're good, but at times they just sound so ordinary and weak.

macheda14

Overrated. They're good, but at times they just sound so ordinary and weak.
I've never understood the 'overrated' critique, music is so inherently subjective, and for them to incite fandom that is so fervent and total shows they're rated exactly how they should be. When being critical of music one should criticise if the artist doesn't achieve what they set out to achieve. Like One Direction for instance, its by the numbers commercial pop, but they/ the team of songwriters behind them produce instantly gratifying (for their fans) music and so deserve all the acclaim they get because there is huge talent in that (I dont like them, but couldn't argue that they are overrated). For you Radiohead are ordinary and weak, most likely because you don't appreciate what they do, whereas for me they meet expectations of what I want (and in the case of this album better them). Its an album of such masterful restraint and patience, that it most likely will seem boring to someone who isn't a fan.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I've never understood the 'overrated' critique, music is so inherently subjective, and for them to incite fandom that is so fervent and total shows they're rated exactly how they should be. When being critical of music one should criticise if the artist doesn't achieve what they set out to achieve. Like One Direction for instance, its by the numbers commercial pop, but they/ the team of songwriters behind them produce instantly gratifying (for their fans) music and so deserve all the acclaim they get because there is huge talent in that (I dont like them, but couldn't argue that they are overrated). For you Radiohead are ordinary and weak, most likely because you don't appreciate what they do, whereas for me they meet expectations of what I want (and in the case of this album better them). Its an album of such masterful restraint and patience, that it most likely will seem boring to someone who isn't a fan.
When I use the term overrated, it's in comparison to other bands who produce similar music. I like the alt/indie/rock genre, it's my favourite genre, but Radiohead are such a loved band in general and I don't completely understand why. Sure, Thom Yorke has a great voice and some songs are so brilliantly original, but why do they deserve so much acclaim?

Thinking a band is overrated is, of course, subjective as well. They're just a bit of a dad band in my eyes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They finally get around to recording True Love Waits but only after Thom breaks up with his girlfriend of 23 years. Kinda sad really.

Nickosaur

When I use the term overrated, it's in comparison to other bands who produce similar music. I like the alt/indie/rock genre, it's my favourite genre, but Radiohead are such a loved band in general and I don't completely understand why. Sure, Thom Yorke has a great voice and some songs are so brilliantly original, but why do they deserve so much acclaim?

Thinking a band is overrated is, of course, subjective as well. They're just a bit of a dad band in my eyes.
Firstly - 'in comparison to other bands who produce similar music'? Interested to hear which bands you view as similar to Radiohead, who are doing it better than Radiohead?

Secondly, Thom Yorke does not have a great voice. Unusual, unique perhaps, but certainly not his voice that has anything to do with why Radiohead are so well regarded.

So why do Radiohead deserve such acclaim? They've reinvented themselves several times over, almost always with a high degree of success. You speak to Radiohead fans and no one will agree on which album is their best. They are all so different. Their level of creativity and production is insane, every aspect of the band is unorthodox.

Listened to the new album a few times now and I think it's great. Really impressed with how consistently great each track is.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Much prefer the guitar version.
I do but it is almost like listening to two different songs. The widely published acoustic version that appeared on their greatest hits album was an upbeat hopeful joyous song, whereas the arrangement for this version makes those same words seem upsetting and almost a surrender if that makes sense. The words "just don't leave" just have this completely different hold on the listener.

Maybe this is why...

They finally get around to recording True Love Waits but only after Thom breaks up with his girlfriend of 23 years. Kinda sad really.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So why do Radiohead deserve such acclaim? They've reinvented themselves several times over, almost always with a high degree of success. You speak to Radiohead fans and no one will agree on which album is their best. They are all so different. Their level of creativity and production is insane, every aspect of the band is unorthodox.
Spot on!

I can't wait too see them live, for the first time, this september @ LoolaPalooza in Berlin. :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I do but it is almost like listening to two different songs. The widely published acoustic version that appeared on their greatest hits album was an upbeat hopeful joyous song, whereas the arrangement for this version makes those same words seem upsetting and almost a surrender if that makes sense. The words "just don't leave" just have this completely different hold on the listener.

Maybe this is why...
Aye, a song with "just don't leave" at its core is bound to carry different emotions before and after the person it's about leaves.

Keenst

I've given it a good few listens now and it's a grower. Really, really impressed. Such a return to form, I seem to have a new favourite song every time I listen through. Anyone get Led Zeppelin vibes off The Numbers?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's not what I wanted from True Love Waits - just a cross between the Brussels version and the one on I Might Be Wrong woud've been perfect - but that was never going to be on an album like this. Really I just wanted them to have made 'Bends II' and stuck it on the end of that but they seem pretty settled on their style these days.

Enjoyed the album at first listen, though. More accessible than The King of Limbs.

Last edited:

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
The LP is less like Burn The Witch than I had hoped, but it's still brilliant. Stoked to finally see True Love Waits on an album too!!

I won't rank it alongside any other Radiohead album for another year though, because I'm sure I'd look back on any list I make now with embarrassment.

stepic

Listened to it twice now and far better second time round. There's only probably 2 or 3 songs that I foresee being future skippers. It's dark and brooding and sounds far more organic, with the prevalance of strings and piano as opposed to the clickity clickity stuff of limbs. They've gone for a consistent theme throughout so it feels very cohesive.