Raees/Invictus VS Gio/Theon - NT Peak draft - Semi Final

Who would win based solely on their peak in the chosen tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I was thinking of a more counter attacking set up...Lot of people to feed the ball and good at playing second fiddle to M10.

Nedved's versatility in operating deep and playing around Maradona on either flank helps a lot. Neeskens and Edwards are as good in attack to provide a balanced midfield.

Maybe Matthaus (Inter) instead of Nedved? I still like Nedved there.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Not sure of Ronaldo there EAP. I'd prefer to keep away from central dribbling players with Maradona around. Nedved is a nice shout as he can work both flanks and link with the wing-backs. In fact you could possibly drop Dunc for '90 Matthaus.

Moby

Dick
I was thinking of a more counter attacking set up...Lot of people to feed the ball and good at playing second fiddle to M10.

Nedved's versatility in operating deep and playing around Maradona on either flank helps a lot. Neeskens and Edwards are as good in attack to provide a balanced midfield.

Maybe Matthaus (Inter) instead of Nedved? I still like Nedved there.

That's the ideal strike partner for Diego.

Fenomeno up front, Diego behind him and Boniek to round that trio off would be my ideal setup.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure of Ronaldo there EAP. I'd prefer to keep away from central dribbling players with Maradona around. Nedved is a nice shout as he can work both flanks and link with the wing-backs. In fact you could possibly drop Dunc for '90 Matthaus.
Ronaldo is a complete attacker but probably I'd go like you with Muller/MvB.

Not exactly GOATs but my zona mista take, based on EAP formation above.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not sure of Ronaldo there EAP. I'd prefer to keep away from central dribbling players with Maradona around.
Going 5-3-2 means there's more than enough space upfront to accommodate both Diego and Fenomeno. Maradona is not a pure feeder to warrant a poacher. He'd thrive well in the space Ronaldo creates with his movement and score a couple himself.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Going 5-3-2 means there's more than enough space upfront to accommodate both Diego and Fenomeno. Maradona is not a pure feeder to warrant a poacher. He'd thrive well in the space Ronaldo creates with his movement and score a couple himself.
TBF in a 532 you have a point. In a 4231 it would be more of an issue

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
While we're at it I don't think I've seen a team built around Ronaldo. He's thrown in many teams as a guy who can thrive in any setup. I was thinking about this recently and came up with this.

-----------Ronaldo----MvB--------
Kopa-----------------------------Figo
------------Rikjaard------Didi---------
Facchetti--Kolher--Figueroa--Thuram
-----------------Schmeichel---------------------

Direct 424 where he can play off the front man allowing him to drift leftwards but having someone else pin the defense back to create space. He can combine with Kopa (a direct playmaker who is comfortable outwide) and Facchetti. Dido pulls the strings from deep and Figo stays wide right.

Enigma_87

You know who
For Ronaldo I'd probably go with 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 tbh.

A 4-4-2 will most likely be something like this - I prefer Nedved to glue up the attack with midfield, or Rivelino - technically flawless on the ball but also very direct and with the ability to come inside so it would allow Facchetti to overlap. I'll pick Kaiser ahead of Rijkaard probably in a 4-4-2. Didi/Xavi is my top option for a playmaker. MvB/Muller again is a top choice with earlier version of MvB there who was a pretty complete forward but also with great presence in the box. I'd also prefer Zanetti on the side.

-----------Ronaldo----MvB--------
-----Nedved-----------------Figo
--------Beckenbauer----Didi---------
Facchetti--Maldini--Figueroa--Zanetti
--------------Schmeichel--------------

a 4-3-3 version:

--Rivaldo----Ronaldo----Rummenigge--
----------Matthaus-----Didi----------
---------------Rijkaard---------------
Facchetti--Maldini--Figueroa--Zanetti
--------------Schmeichel--------------

Matthaus from 90. Didi main playmaker, Rijkaard sitting in front of the defence and the Ro/Ri partnership while I'd choose Rummenigge as right forward overlapped by Zanetti.

Edit:

I'll also have Maldini as a LCB when partnering with Facchetti so he can cover the space and IMO is more fluent in that role than Kohler, whilst also he can be a great stopper.

Tuppet

Romario is very under rated, when going with 2 strikers for Ronaldo, Ro-Ro is a no brainer.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
-----------------------------Muller--------
----------Puskas-------
--------------------------Maradona
------------------Rijkaard-----Neeskens---------
Facchetti--Maldini--Scirea--Thuram--Cafu
-----------------------------Yashin--------------

Breitner for Neeskens if you want a wee bit more control and passing range, whilst Eusebio can come in for Puskas, or Rummenigge for a wee bit more wider threat.

Enigma_87

You know who
Romario is very under rated, when going with 2 strikers for Ronaldo, Ro-Ro is a no brainer.
Indeed he is a bit. I rate MvB as a striker individually better than Romario all things considered, but Ro-Ro partnership is the best fit.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Enigma_87 Rivelino makes a lot of sense, can't think why he passed me by. The main reason for pairing him with a cultured target man (like Vieri was to some extent) is that it gives him entire freedom to do what he wishes but still has the form of the rest of the side to work with; that's why I don't like him that much in a 433, he developed his all-round game at Inter which I think is best utilised in a two. He could clearly work well in a 352 but I prefer the more attacking end to end style of the 424 which I think Ronaldo would thrive in.

Are there any games online with Romario and Ronaldo as a duo?

Tuppet

Indeed he is a bit. I rate MvB as a striker individually better than Romario all things considered, but Ro-Ro partnership is the best fit.
Yeah its very subjective to rate players at that level. I just loved watching Romario more than any other forward. I also think of all the strikers suggested, Romario would be the most ideal partner for Maradona. Defenses would have no idea how high/low to set the line. And the tricks they both would pull off :drool: .

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@Physiocrat
This is my "hipster" picks rather than a GOAT version. I feel this setup maximizes Diego's talents the most. Because it includes most players he respects and even loves the team chemistry would, in my humble opinion, be superior to more GOAT filled versions.

Angel Rojas was a famous Boca striker in the 1960s who was one of Diego's idols along with Houseman. Rojitas was Diego's first idol ever and Diego said he used to love watching his dummies and waist feints. And not that it means anything objectively, but Diego does 'rate' Rojitas over MvB and Ro Ro ;)
Diego also always rated Rivelinho as the second best player he ever saw. His greatest rival Matthaus provides a key role while Mascherano to me is basically an upgrade on Batista. Setting aside the '86 drama, Passarella was still someone Diego respected (even if he didnt love him as others here) but he said he was the best defender he ever saw.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 Rivelino makes a lot of sense, can't think why he passed me by. The main reason for pairing him with a cultured target man (like Vieri was to some extent) is that it gives him entire freedom to do what he wishes but still has the form of the rest of the side to work with; that's why I don't like him that much in a 433, he developed his all-round game at Inter which I think is best utilised in a two. He could clearly work well in a 352 but I prefer the more attacking end to end style of the 424 which I think Ronaldo would thrive in.

Are there any games online with Romario and Ronaldo as a duo?

^^^ the rest of the game is up on youtube. The opposition is not the best - even the opposite, but they really tore them apart. 1997 Copa and the confederation cup is the closest to the respective peaks and probably the best year in terms of their partnership on the pitch.

Rivelino I think will fit like a glove in that setup. I can understand your reference with Vieri, maybe a more dynamic duo like Eusebio/Ronaldo up front is even better, with Eusebio the alternative to Romario.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah its very subjective to rate players at that level. I just loved watching Romario more than any other forward. I also think of all the strikers suggested, Romario would be the most ideal partner for Maradona. Defenses would have no idea how high/low to set the line. And the tricks they both would pull off :drool: .
It was a pity Romario was injured for 1998. :( I think that tournament would've elevated their partnership to another level.

What do you reckon for 4-4-2 with Eusebio & Ronaldo as a pair? Had an idea of developing a 4-4-2 in a draft and Ronaldo is one of the forwards I'd love to pair with either a striker in MvB / Muller mold or the more dynamic partner in Romario/Eusebio type.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It was a pity Romario was injured for 1998. :( I think that tournament would've elevated their partnership to another level.

What do you reckon for 4-4-2 with Eusebio & Ronaldo as a pair? Had an idea of developing a 4-4-2 in a draft and Ronaldo is one of the forwards I'd love to pair with either a striker in MvB / Muller mold or the more dynamic partner in Romario/Eusebio type.
@Balu I think once had a side with Eusebio and Ronaldo as a front two - it wasn't that we'll received

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I actually think that Romario is one of the best fits with Maradona - and definitely a better one than MvB in my eyes. Romario - Zico is the dream though

Enigma_87

You know who
@Balu I think once had a side with Eusebio and Ronaldo as a front two - it wasn't that we'll received
Aye, loved that 4-4-2. :drool:
I actually think that Romario is one of the best fits with Maradona - and definitely a better one than MvB in my eyes. Romario - Zico is the dream though
Think you can draw some similarities between Careca and MvB, which would work like a treat for Maradona IMO.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
You reckon Breitner had a better passing range than Neeskens?
Without a shadow of doubt. Not much between them but Breitner was a better playmaker with a more refined passing range and arguably a more influential figure defensively whilst Neeskens brought more dynamism, dribbling and incisiveness to the table with some great pressing ability too. Nothing much between them and it's splitting hairs even when it comes to the qualities mentioned above but I really do believe Breitner's ability on the ball is grossly underrated.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yeah. And dare I say it, he was a better player overall
Without a shadow of doubt. Not much between them but Breitner was a better playmaker with a more refined passing range and arguably a more influential figure defensively whilst Neeskens brought more dynamism, dribbling and incisiveness to the table with some great pressing ability too. Nothing much between them and it's splitting hairs even when it comes to the qualities mentioned above but I really do believe Breitner's ability on the ball is grossly underrated.
Just to be clear, this is the Bayern "Breitnigge" midfielder version you are referring to? Not the LB who influenced everywhere NT version?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I actually love the Romario suggestion and agree he'd be a amazing fit.

Careca was very like Romario in stature and dynamism. More selfless though.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Whatever the deal is with onenil and Houseman. :lol:
It comes from the first time I had access to broadband internet and started getting into classic matches, sometime between 2003-2005. Back then I was throwing distance from uni and had fibre-optic internet and this was way before ISP got strict. There were few sites I remember that people just uploaded massive amounts of matches both ongoing and even some classics. I used to download and watch matches 24/7 while studying also play PES at that time. I watched a lot of random matches then as it was easier than now, from early Asian leagues to youth matches to women's world cup plus the bigger leagues. I miss how easy it was for me then to just watch any match around the world , although admittedly things like Footballia.net have far better collections of classic matches than those early forums. Anyway I fell in love a random mix of players during that era :)

Moby

Dick
It comes from the first time I had access to broadband internet and started getting into classic matches, sometime between 2003-2005. Back then I was throwing distance from uni and had fibre-optic internet and this was way before ISP got strict. There were few sites I remember that people just uploaded massive amounts of matches both ongoing and even some classics. I used to download and watch matches 24/7 while studying also play PES at that time. I watched a lot of random matches then as it was easier than now, from early Asian leagues to youth matches to women's world cup plus the bigger leagues. I miss how easy it was for me then to just watch any match around the world , although admittedly things like Footballia.net have far better collections of classic matches than those early forums. Anyway I fell in love a random mix of players during that era :)
Nice! Houseman isn't exactly random tbh just that he usually features in your teams so figured there must be a reason for the love in.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I've wanted to pair those two in a draft team for ages. Some of the interplay between them was just :drool:. They could tear teams apart by themselves, and its a shame it never happened as a partnership in WC '98.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've wanted to pair those two in a draft team for ages. Some of the interplay between them was just :drool:. They could tear teams apart by themselves, and its a shame it never happened as a partnership in WC '98.
I always thought they jumped the gun with Romario's injury before France '98. He could have been back in action by the end of June IIRC for the business end of the tournament. After all, they never trusted Edmundo to cover for Ronaldo in the final so it's not as if Zagallo was needing to use the full depth of his squad. Later on Zagallo did say that he dropped Romario for his attitude, which is an interesting take on matters, and probably shows the value of a selfless Bebeto-esque foil. Still, they'd have moved up another gear with a Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo triumvirate.

Enigma_87

You know who
@harms as I recall there were a lot of objections about Sir Bobby in that role, but to me your front 4 looked perfect, especially the chemistry of Sir Bobby and Zico left/right attacking midfielder and Sir Bobby putting a shift in. :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms as I recall there were a lot of objections about Sir Bobby in that role, but to me your front 4 looked perfect, especially the chemistry of Sir Bobby and Zico left/right attacking midfielder and Sir Bobby putting a shift in. :drool:
Yeah, the criticism of Sir Bobby was especially strange. Possibly the favorite team that I assembled so far.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Which great players have never featured in a draft winning side?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I always thought they jumped the gun with Romario's injury before France '98. He could have been back in action by the end of June IIRC for the business end of the tournament. After all, they never trusted Edmundo to cover for Ronaldo in the final so it's not as if Zagallo was needing to use the full depth of his squad. Later on Zagallo did say that he dropped Romario for his attitude, which is an interesting take on matters, and probably shows the value of a selfless Bebeto-esque foil. Still, they'd have moved up another gear with a Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo triumvirate.
It was clear as day at the time that injury gave Zagallo an excuse to drop him.