Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

prarek

Most Newcastle fans I know currently think he's an utter fraud, too.

In fact, I'm not sure there's anyone outside of Liverpool that particularly rates him.
It is an overwhelming consensus among Newcastle fans that they have finally singed a good manager after all these years. They are all delighted with the appointed and think they should have hired him sooner albeit still seem pessimistic about relegation. He is also beloved by Valencia fans. I think most sensible people recognize him as a solid manager with flaws and a level below the elite ones.

Parry Gallister

:lol: The whole club is a train wreck. I'm guessing Rafa is gone in a month's time.
Yeah, remember Swansea themselves pretty much leaked the lack of a relegation clause in his contract with Newcastle, that combined with the wages are just utterly mental given the position they're in.

redmeister

Perhaps an indication of whether he did well or is whether each club improved upon his departure. Liverpool became even worse, as did Inter Milan. Both clubs have/had deep rooted problems within the hierarchy of the club, which compromised their chances of success more than any manager could.

He finished 3rd with Chelsea with a Europa League. As an interim coach, his objective was to stabilize the club and ensure CL football - which he did. They proceeded to then finish in the exact same league position the year after with Mourinho, suggesting that Benitez' performance was pretty solid.

At Napoli, he won the Coppa Italia in his first season and finished 3rd. It was pretty improbable that Napoli would be able to break the stranglehold that Juventus have on Serie A, but again - Benitez brought silverware to the club. He was fairly popular with Napoli fans at this stage.

His second season didn't go as well and they lost out on CL football. They've improved since and currently sit second in Serie A.

He left Real four points behind Atletico Madrid, who were leaders at the time. They'd also cruised through the CL group stages. Four months later, they sit in the same position - suggesting that he had Madrid performing on par with where they should be.

Contrary to your claims, I'd say his record suggests that he's a very solid manager. Just unfortunate that he's become a bit of a parody to the general footballing contemporary.
That's just a typically selective defence of Rafa. I don't get why people bend over backwards to do it. You could just as easily argue that the teams get worse after he leaves due to damage he caused.

Ultimately, is it true that in each of the jobs Rafa has had since leaving Liverpool, the team has gone backwards in the league under Rafa? You could argue that is being selective, but he was appointed as manager of Newcastle, when they were 19th in the league and their goal was to stay up. So I'd say it's about the most relevant part of his career history. No matter how much you like Rafa, surely you have to admit, that given his history, it's shocking appointment. As I pointed out, even Liverpool went backwards in his the Prem in his first season.

You like him, so from your point of view you want to find reasons to suggest he's a very solid manager. But there is no benefit in doing that from the point of view of the Newcastle board. They've got to be objective and look at things more rationally. It's nothing to do with him becoming a parody to the general footballing public, but to do with the fact Newcastle desperately need to stay in the Premier League. Rafa is a man who likes to point out facts (I know a little parody), and the facts are that he has taken every club he's managed, since Liverpool, backwards in the league and even in his first season at Liverpool they went backwards. I don't get what the thinking behind his appointment was. It seems to me like they looked at his CV and couldn't see past his cup success.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I know it sounds strange since they're 19th, but I think the results today have saved Newcastle, and Rafa will stay and improve them next season.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Still got a way to go.
They have a game against Villa, that's 3 points and then they're on 31 points like Norwich, then they have a home game against a hopeless Palace side, that should be another 3 points and then they're on 34 points in total. If so then Norwich and/or Sunderland needs to win a game and get a draw or two, which I can't see happening.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

He is so boring these days. The public wants more mind games and facts.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's not popular with everyone and I know he's a figure of fun on here, but he's still a decent manager. If he keeps Newcastle up I think he'll improve them quite a bit next season.

Perrick Dubois

Fair play, he's going to keep them up and that will be an achievement. Even if I don't like him all that much he has some credible marks on his CV and this will be another one.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
In a strange, weird, twisted way I'm kind of rooting for him to keep Newcastle up.

Probably because Newcastle are a decent sized team with passionate fans. They should be in the top flight.

Hammerfell

In a strange, weird, twisted way I'm kind of rooting for him to keep Newcastle up.

Probably because Newcastle are a decent sized team with passionate fans. They should be in the top flight.
That and the alternatives are Norwich and Sunderland.

Norris

I've always liked Newcastle since the Kluivert days. Would prefer to see Norwich go down. I like big Sam, but unfortunately only of those three can avoid relegation.

Traub

I also want him to stay up.

I've actually gained quite a bit of respect for him since he decided to take over at Newcastle. He is one of the best managers in the world (I put him in the tier below the really top), but has been willing to take a step down from the top clubs. He has taken a big gamble IMO and deserves credit for that.

Norris

WTF.

Kluivert was an embarassment at tyneside.
Oh, I should have clarified. I meant him on my FIFA save. :p.
But he wasn't all that bad was he ? Scored some great goals for them iirc.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
His most memorable goal, for me, was scoring a glancing header early against Chelsea in the FA Cup in completely frozen conditions at St James'. Chelsea ended that game with 9 men iirc.

He wasn't all bad for us, no. But the "problem" was getting him into a team that had been built for Shearer - crosses coming in from Solano on the right, Robert on the left, Bellamy making runs to create space, etc.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
He was a bit of a flop. One season, 5 goals in 26 appearances. He was in the press a lot, stood outside night clubs, but rarely performed on the pitch. To be fair to him though, NUFC still had Shearer, although he was about to retire, and Bellamy, so a tough pairing to oust. We were also managed by the supreme tit-head - Graham Souness - at the time as well, who seemed capable of bringing the worst performances out of just about every player.

Varun

Staff
It is an overwhelming consensus among Newcastle fans that they have finally singed a good manager after all these years. They are all delighted with the appointed and think they should have hired him sooner albeit still seem pessimistic about relegation. He is also beloved by Valencia fans. I think most sensible people recognize him as a solid manager with flaws and a level below the elite ones.
Agreed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From a general perspective, I hope Sunderland go down. A real ugly team. They play ugly football. They're involved in a relegation scrap pretty much every year. Even their kit is the ugliest in the league. It's even uglier than it used to be in previous seasons. At least Norwich have that green and gold thing going for them.

If we can beat Norwich, with Sunderland going down, I'm all for it.

Norris

From a general perspective, I hope Sunderland go down. A real ugly team. They play ugly football. They're involved in a relegation scrap pretty much every year. Even their kit is the ugliest in the league. It's even uglier than it used to be in previous seasons. At least Norwich have that green and gold thing going for them.

If we can beat Norwich, with Sunderland going down, I'm all for it.
Norwich still have to go down for Newcastle to escape relegation though.

Norris

His most memorable goal, for me, was scoring a glancing header early against Chelsea in the FA Cup in completely frozen conditions at St James'. Chelsea ended that game with 9 men iirc.

He wasn't all bad for us, no. But the "problem" was getting him into a team that had been built for Shearer - crosses coming in from Solano on the right, Robert on the left, Bellamy making runs to create space, etc.
He was a bit of a flop. One season, 5 goals in 26 appearances. He was in the press a lot, stood outside night clubs, but rarely performed on the pitch. To be fair to him though, NUFC still had Shearer, although he was about to retire, and Bellamy, so a tough pairing to oust. We were also managed by the supreme tit-head - Graham Souness - at the time as well, who seemed capable of bringing the worst performances out of just about every player.
Cheers. Thought he was better than that.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Though not a big fan of him, he is surely a good manager and can improve Newcastle greatly. Staying up will be absolutely crucial though. Their next 2 fixtures are Villa away and Spurs home. Should beat Villa and if Spurs are not with outside chance of title on last day and have top 3 secured(which they should), Newcastle will fancy getting at least a point although they will need to win both probably to be safe. Sunderland play Chelsea and Everton home and Watford away. They can easily get 6 points from those games with none of those 3 having anything to play for.

JoaquinJoaquin

Today was the death blow for Newcastle unfortunately. Only themselves to blame by not beating Villa.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Today was the death blow for Newcastle unfortunately. Only themselves to blame by not beating Villa.
Nothing unfortunate about it. Only unfortunate thing is they won't be taking Sunderland with them. Two utterly pointless clubs.

JoaquinJoaquin

Nothing unfortunate about it. Only unfortunate thing is they won't be taking Sunderland with them. Two utterly pointless clubs.
I like Newcastle, but that's maybe because I spend a lot of time there. Sunderland I wish all the worst luck to, especially after the Poznan thing a few years ago. Still hold that grudge.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Agreed, I'd of loved Villa, Sunderland & Newcastle all to go. Of the 3, I'll be least annoyed if Sunderland survive. Just a pity it's Norwich rather than Stoke that are taking the third slot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure about them being pointless but I would of found it funny had both North East clubs gone with Villa

Shame Boro got promoted as well

Dominos

That's an odd statement.

I do wonder though how far you'd have to take a team though for you to get credited in some way. The only time I can recall is AVB getting sacked after losing the 1st leg of the last 16 3-1, and De Matteo going on to win the trophy.