Rafael | Lyon Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

facund

POF

Lets just say that I wouldn't like him to be analysed with the same forensic tools Valencia enjoys being scrutinised with each game.
Spot on. The criticism in Valencia's performance thread last season was a disgrace. The OP set the tone with an absolute slating of his "performances".

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Lets just say that I wouldn't like him to be analysed with the same forensic tools Valencia enjoys being scrutinised with each game.
Spot on.

Loved him as a player but with Damian's arrival, it was kinda inevitable. Wish him all the best.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Sold at the same age that Evra and Irwin joined us, not given the chance to mature.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Spot on. The criticism in Valencia's performance thread last season was a disgrace. The OP set the tone with an absolute slating of his "performances".
That was me :lol:

I then spent the whole season being objective defending him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I have to disagree about the United losing its identity stuff regarding the sale of Rafael.Yes he was passionate and loved the club, but he isnt the only one , and they are plenty of players in that dressing room that love the club too. Some may not be as vocal , but they are plenty that do.

Phil Neville is often derided on here, but I remember reading from Sir Alex's biography about how both he and his wife were crying when he had to leave the club
Sir Alex Autobiography on Phil Neville:

"I had a few like Phil (Neville), who would do anything for the team. He would only think of the team. For the most part, if he were to play a limited part in the successful functioning of the side, he would find a way to be happy with that. In the end, though, Gary (Neville) came to talk to me, to see how I felt about Phil’s diminishing role.

‘I don’t know what to do, he’s such a great lad,’ I told Gary .

‘That’s the problem,’ Gary said. ‘He doesn’t want to come to you.’ Phil lacked Gary’s directness, you see.

I invited Phil out to the house for a talk. He came with his wife Julie. At first I didn’t notice her in the car. ‘Cathy, go and bring Julie in,’ I said. But when Cathy got out there, Julie began crying. ‘We don’t want to leave Man United,’ she was saying. ‘We love being at the club.’ Cathy took her a cup of tea, but she wouldn’t come into the house. I think she was worried she might break down and embarrass her husband.
Then there is Fellaini who apparently gave up 4mil of signing bonuses to be here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ave-Manchester-United-move-from-collapse.html

Someone like Valencia that has been here for 6 years and even with his shortcomings has been a brilliant servant for the club. Its not that they are players who dont love this club and that we are now left with mercenaries, its just that some fans would rather conveniently ignore that and abuse them instead.

So , no Identity not broken. Rafael was one of the players that loved being here, and was equally loved back.If only we could do the same for the rest of our players.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The piece as a whole is decent enough but the central premise is melodramatic horseshit (i.e. typical Rob Smyth)

In the last two and a bit years, Ferguson, Scholes, Giggs, Evra and now Rafael have left Old Trafford. They all understood and cared deeply about the club; how many of the current squad could you say that about?
How the hell does he know that Rafael "understands" better or "cares more deeply" about the club than players like Evans, Young, Valencia, Fellaini, Wilson, Hererra, Mata, Wilson, Januzaj, Pereira, Jones, Smalling etc etc etc? (not mentioning Rooney as really can't be arsed with that debate right now)

Did it not occur to him that it's possible for a footballer to be a bit of a hot head without every fired up moment being an expression of undying love for the shirt?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I've been in Lyon for 2 days and still not seen him :(

izec

Got presented today alongside Lacazette, who extended his contract til 2019.

Riz

Why this emoticon ? It's perfectly to be tired when you have barely had preseason.
Cause the things holding him back are his fitness and susceptibility to injury which have become typical in recent years. Yes it's early days and tiredness/lack of fitness aren't rare but it is typical Rafael.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Cause the things holding him back are his fitness and susceptibility to injury which have become typical in recent years. Yes it's early days and tiredness/lack of fitness aren't rare but it is typical Rafael.
I see, yes he's injury prone but he's never had pbs with fatigue once playing a match. Fatigue can hurt him in the first few matches but he'll be fine, injuries are another matter.

LR7

You're reaction is ridiculous. He hasn't had a preseason. Even Mata with a full preseason under his belt had cramp yesterday.

Riz

You're reaction is ridiculous. He hasn't had a preseason. Even Mata with a full preseason under his belt had cramp yesterday.
Fair enough, but any player who's missed 50 odd games through injury has got to start putting fitness questions behind him sooner or later. Just not the best start to his new career is it.

stevoc

If it was cramp he came off with thats perfectly understandable, he didn't have a pre-season and has nothing to with his previous injury problems.

His replacement came off yesterday for us with cramp despite having a full pre-season, which proves cramp can be a problem at this point in a season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fair enough, but any player who's missed 50 odd games through injury has got to start putting fitness questions behind him sooner or later. Just not the best start to his new career is it.
Some players are just injury prone, they don't choose to be injured. They're not any less professional than those who don't get injured. Blaming players for being injury prone is very stupid IMHO.

Riz

Some players are just injury prone, they don't choose to be injured. They're not any less professional than those who don't get injured. Blaming players for being injury prone is very stupid IMHO.
Eh? I'm not blaming him for anything, I just think the decision to sell him was absolutely correct. I'm not questioning his professionalism at all...

Asger

I'm probably gonna move to Montpellier after 2 months. I hope I will see him play over there!

Ozio

Can we focus on how he played? how was he?
From Reddit: He was fine. Decent enough in the first half, spent a lot of time sprinting back into position from the halfway line but made a few good tackles and Lorient didn't take advantage of him. Had 20 minutes in the second half in which he was probably Lyon's brightest spark, maybe with Fekir. Everything sort of quietened down when he went off, which I don't think was due to injury but just so he eases into full match fitness. Got a healthy round of applause from the home crowd.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Maybe Van Gaal didn't like him because he prefers a right back who can go longer than 3 or 4 games without breaking down?

vodrake

Maybe Van Gaal didn't like him because he prefers a right back who can go longer than 3 or 4 games without breaking down?
Nah, can't be. He just doesn't like talented players with attacking flair. Which is why he signed a talented player with attacking flair, who can also defend really well and doesn't have a history of getting injured all the time, to replace him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rafa did play at lot during the first half of last season, no one can really say LVG didn't give him a shot but he just didn;t stand for what Fergie and Moyes did i.e. the constant injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.