Ragnick should play the kids

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Otherwise this lot will get him sacked in six months time.

Getting dominated by fecking norwich and newcastle is on the players, watch them get dominated again against another relegation team in burnley in a couple of days. No coach or manager in the world can do anything (except benching them) if the players can't string together simple passes or be arsed to fight for the ball against teams in the bottom of the table .

Elanga, diallo, hannibal, mengi and shoretire should all find a place in the starting team and on the bench.

Even if we lose a few games atleast we'll see some desire and fight and we'll know who to ship next season and areas to be improved.

and dare i say ronaldo should be coming off the bench in the last half hour as am impact sub against a tired defense.

Edit: The players on big money at it again:

Last edited:

Swedish_Plumber

I get where you’re coming from. Adding one or two into the side who have no fear could have a Januzaj effect. Alternatively we get bullied off the park by Burnley and their confidence is completely shot immediately.

These experienced players who have performed for the club to an acceptable standard about 3 times this season need to know its not acceptable.

They tweet and Instagram generic rubbish after making poor teams look godly and expect us to believe it’ll be different a week later. It’s on them to make some passes and not give the ball away 160 times.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
None of the kids are ready, except for mengi due to his physical strength. What he needs to do is add more bodies and more control in midfield. 4-3-3 is the way forward, with Mctominay, Matic and dvb (for Burnley ). Also drop Ronaldo for Cavani as his form in the league is terrible.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ironically it was the experience of Cavani that saved us last night. I agree with your general point though, Ralf is probably already looking at the academy to see if there’s any players there that can implement his style.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hopefully he does but if we make stars out of any of these kids we need to make sure they don’t get the whole savour complex that seems to hit any player who scores a few goals or has a few decent games for us. Greenwood is as guilty as anyone for low work rate as promising as he is. We give them too much too soon and they inevitably taper off and become part of the problem once they get put on huge money.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Ironically it was the experience of Cavani that saved us last night. I agree with your general point though, Ralf is probably already looking at the academy to see if there’s any players there that can implement his style.
Cavani when fit should start, I have yet to see him winge and whine like a baby.

However, he clearly isn't fit enough to start every game. We need to bring up the kids.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We definitely need someone who can get their foot on the ball and, regardless of us being under pressure or not, bring a semblance of calm and control. String some passes together and whatnot.

For that reason, Galbraith would be the first one I'd promote.

Lentwood

This was never going to happen though. You don't come into a new club, try and implement a new style and new system and not bothering playing any of what are your senior players.

I am sure RR will give all of the senior squad a chance to get to grips with the new style before reverting to such drastic measures

supernaniskill

Hannibal imo would be a breath of fresh air, but the problems lie in controlling and dominating games. If we can’t do that then we can’t expect to sprinkle a few youngsters into the fold and expect the results to be any different. Maybe there will be more fight/desire but as someone has already mentioned if we’re getting beat by lesser teams week in week out and then played off the park by top half teams their confidence will be shot.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Hannibal imo would be a breath of fresh air, but the problems lie in controlling and dominating games. If we can’t do that then we can’t expect to sprinkle a few youngsters into the fold and expect the results to be any different. Maybe there will be more fight/desire but as someone has already mentioned if we’re getting beat by lesser teams week in week out and then played off the park by top half teams their confidence will be shot.
Youngsters can be coached and youngsters will have the desire to earn there place once given a chance. They will with experience start playing like a team. Our senior players think they're too good to be following any coach or listening to anyone. We have toxic players and they need to be gotten rid of no matter how senior they are or what there wage is.

The managers authority should be respected, players need to know there place.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I agree, I’d rather see us get beat with a load of players that put up a bit of fight rather than duck out of tackles and complain when things don’t go their way.

Something has to change and i can’t see it changing with the same set of prima donnas playing each game.

“Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results”

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Giving too much too early is not a good strategy, look how Rashford is turning out. I want young players to develop and make it in the team but it should happen organically and through merit, they must truly deserve to be in the lineup like how Greenwood forced his way in the team initially and how easily he can be dropped if he is not performing well, is a good thing.

"Play the kids" and selecting 3/4 good players from the U23's because we are shit out of ideas isn't sustainable, it's just hoping for a hail mary. If there was genuinely a CM candidate then that would be nice but there isn't one unless you play Hannibal out of position.

I'd rather our manager works with these players, as much as people hate them, Sancho, Bruno etc. are very good players and we're better off trying to work with these players.

Crashoutcassius

I agree that we should mix up the selection. but the tactics and coaching have clearly been poor too, so ralf needs to improve that quickly if we are to stay in in touching distance of fourth. his main job as interim is to get us fourth, not to overhaul, that should be obvious but doesn't seem obvious to everyone

lex talionis

I agree, but any United manager faces the huge imperative of qualifying for the CL and thus we just don’t see youth players be given a chance.

It’s hard to imagine dropping Maguire, who was abysmal again last night, for Mengi. Or Rashford, who has been abysmal, for Diallo. Elanga for Ronaldo, not a chance. Garner for McTominay would be interesting, but I have no idea if Garner is ready for the first team.

I think this is a really good point, thankfully I don’t think Ralf will be afraid to make these big calls. However, he has to initially give the seasoned pros the opportunity first or he would loose the dressing room straight away. After giving everyone chances and reviewing for himself, He can then play the best players for his system even if that upsets egos.
I think alot of us on this forum probably know more about these players than Ralf because we have been watching them every week for years. By the time Ralf’s 6 months is up then I think he will be able to judge these players properly and make recommendations to the board

Reactions: Sultan

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
None of the kids are ready, except for mengi due to his physical strength. What he needs to do is add more bodies and more control in midfield. 4-3-3 is the way forward, with Mctominay, Matic and dvb (for Burnley ). Also drop Ronaldo for Cavani as his form in the league is terrible.
A lot of our starters aren't ready either. We'd obviously struggle if we were to field a bunch of kids simultaneously but if we were to try to play Hannibal more, for example, it can hardly get worse (and he's probably the most suitable for adult football physically out of our elite talent).

supernaniskill

Youngsters can be coached and youngsters will have the desire to earn there place once given a chance. They will with experience start playing like a team. Our senior players think they're too good to be following any coach or listening to anyone. We have toxic players and they need to be gotten rid of no matter how senior they are or what there wage is.

The managers authority should be respected, players need to know there place.
I agree that they’re more coachable but I don’t think as Manchester United we have the luxury of letting these young players gel and gain experience when we need to get top 4, I do think dropping or selling a so called star could maybe light a fire under some of the underperforming senior players. An ideal scenario would have been we’re comfortably in the top 4 and some of these youngsters get a run out against the lesser teams to develop, much like the blue half have the luxury of doing these days :(

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Getting dominated by fecking norwich and newcastle is on the players, watch them get dominated again against another relegation team in burnley in a couple of days. No coach or manager in the world can do anything (except benching them) if the players can't string together simple passes or be arsed to fight for the ball against teams in the bottom of the table .

Elanga, diallo, hannibal, mengi and shoretire should all find a place in the starting team and on the bench.

Even if we lose a few games atleast we'll see some desire and fight and we'll know who to ship next season and areas to be improved.

and dare i say ronaldo should be coming off the bench in the last half hour as am impact sub against a tired defense.

Please go back to to the performance when kids were played in a few games. They simply aren't ready and even if they are they need to be introduced slowly in a winning team and playing with confidence otherwise they could easily lose hope and careers of these young footballers could nosedive.

jackal&hyde

Throwing in youngsters that are not ready, especially emotionally for the pressure this club bring can cause more harm then good to them.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think most of them aren't ready. Shoretire is supposed to be the next big thing, he still looks lightweight. Most of them are physically not there yet. Playing them now and then having them fail would hurt them and the team's chances at this moment.

That being said, I'd like to see Garner and Hannibal be given minutes soon. Maybe next season.

Judas

Open to offers
Play whoever shows that they can put the coaching into actual practice and produce in a match day setting. Play the pensioners, play whoever.

I think we'll see more of the kids in the second half of the season, but I don't think many are ready.

Hannibal will hopefully get some chances soon though, can't help but want to see someone that talented play for the first team asap.

This is the same hyperbole that gets trotted out whenever we play a few crap games in a row - usually accompanied by a G Nev moan about players "getting the manager sacked".

No, the answer to our problems is not to drop Ronaldo for Elanga. We've just brought a new manager in because the last one was getting a very good squad playing like amateurs - if this one can't get a tune out of them in the next couple of months, that's on him.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This is the same hyperbole that gets trotted out whenever we play a few crap games in a row - usually accompanied by a G Nev moan about players "getting the manager sacked".

No, the answer to our problems is not to drop Ronaldo for Elanga. We've just brought a new manager in because the last one was getting a very good squad playing like amateurs - if this one can't get a tune out of them in the next couple of months, that's on him.
The players are the constant while the managers are the variable. After a string of managers its wise to start questioning whether the constant needs changing too.

These players would get saf sacked (god forbid if he ever made a mistake of returning).

The players are the constant while the managers are the variable. After a string of managers its wise to start questioning whether the constant needs changing too.

These players would get saf sacked (god forbid if he ever made a mistake of returning).
You say "the players" as if we've had the same squad playing like crap and not looking bothered under Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer. Six of last night's XI never even played under the first two, and of our two worst performers on the night, one (Fernandes) was our best player by a mile for 18 months under Solskjaer and the other (Ronaldo) is one of the greatest, most professional and driven players ever to play the sport.

The players aren't the constant, unless we've just repeatedly been signing the wrong personalities for 8 seasons now. Or everyone that comes in has been indoctrinated by De Gea and Jones.

Yeah, we were crap last night and against Norwich and we've been crap most of the season. We've just brought a new manager in and his first month has been significantly disrupted - we're trying to change things up tactically and it's clearly not being translated onto the pitch at the moment, and the players are looking crap and whinging at one another. The solution is to keep working on the training ground and trust the coach to get a tune out of the squad, not to say "sod it, toss a bunch of 18-year-olds into the Premier League because they'll put in a shift".

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Dropping just few players when they play shite would be a good start, like most of professional clubs do, especially clubs who are in bad form for so long.

We seem to play same players under every manager no matter how bad we are, and how bad players play some games.

Last night when Fred was taken off we literally played without midfield in second half and it was still at least the same quality as the first half, maybe even better, which means that some players can actually be left out, no matter how much deficit we have in those positions.

Scott, Fred, Ronaldo, Rashford, Maguire, play literally every game without anyone even thinking about maybe changing them and trying something else, and wonder why can't we play better.

jesperjaap

Though I agree with the sentiment behind it, dont agree with the post.

So many self confessed experts talking tactics, formations, false nines, pivots etc etc etc as to where we are going wrong and of course the managing and coaching has been weak at times....but the sentiment behin the post, though maybe a gut reaction I agree with.

A large part of the current problem is we simply have too many talented yet inconsistent players, several without a great attitude either. Considering many of these are supposedly the better players at the club, when so many are off, it is no surprise we are getting dominated at times when they are surrounded by average players as well, means the whole team is poor.

BUT youngsters have got opportunities, Elanga and Amad have got goals, but do either of them look ready to play regularly in front of others, not seen anythign to suggest so yet and certainly not from others under them like Shoetire who isnt ready yet. Think it could be damaging to some of there careers thrown in too much too soon when not ready, look at the criticism WIlliams got after a decent start as soon as his form dipped, though doesnt look good enough anyway.

Is putting them into a struggling side when not ready the answer, I dont think so. bit different to say Liverpool who have been successful and have youngsters look a bit further on than ours.

The only exception really is Hannibal, who looks perhaps the most talented and versatile in certain positions we need competition and cover. Think he has been unlucky with the timing of injuries an dhis international career kicking off, which happens again in January. Again though, he has only an exciting 7minute cameo, Angel Gomes had similar and never made it here. Until he plays impossible to judge him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The only 'kid' anywhere near first team level right now is Elanga.

The issue last night was with individual mistakes and pure rustiness, not a lack of effort.

Playing 'the kids' would be counter productive, they may run more(they may not), or show more hunger(they may not), but they would definitely get turned over as some of them are not anywhere near the level required yet.

Andersonson

How many of our players got COVID?

I remember Salah after he got it, he looked like he was finished at this level, and a month later he was superb again

It’s funny, good as we were in 92-95, we immediately became much more tactically flexible once we played some of the upcoming players seriously in 95/96. 2 or 3 of the right young players could make a massive difference to our 4 -2-2-2 and our pressing. Whether any of our upcoming players such as Diallo and Mejbri could be those players is the question.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Its not fair to the kids to throw them all in and have to put up with the pressure of millions watching world wide, if it doesn't work out you are potentially destroying a career before it really begins.

Fergie mastered the art of introducing youngsters at exactly the right time, its not as easy as it looks.

the chameleon

There should be a balance for sure. Players like Maguire, Wan Bissaka, McTominay / Fred, and Rashford should be used way less.

Players like Bruno and Ronaldo should be put in their place. They are leaders but not indispensable.

The boss should be brave enough to bring back the likes of Garner from loan, play Hannibal, play Elanga instead of Rashford. Ethan Laird could also get a run-in with the rubbish we have.

Then in the January transfer window, a central midfielder needs to be bought to replace Fred.

Players like Cavani and Greenwood should be played. Along with Van De Beek and Sancho.

These players who have been at multiple failed regimes + Bruno and Ronaldo need to know that their places are up for grabs. The manager deserves to have the space to build his own players, not a bunch of spoiled prima donnas who will get him removed.

jesperjaap

You say "the players" as if we've had the same squad playing like crap and not looking bothered under Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer. Six of last night's XI never even played under the first two, and of our two worst performers on the night, one (Fernandes) was our best player by a mile for 18 months under Solskjaer and the other (Ronaldo) is one of the greatest, most professional and driven players ever to play the sport.

The players aren't the constant, unless we've just repeatedly been signing the wrong personalities for 8 seasons now. Or everyone that comes in has been indoctrinated by De Gea and Jones.

Yeah, we were crap last night and against Norwich and we've been crap most of the season. We've just brought a new manager in and his first month has been significantly disrupted - we're trying to change things up tactically and it's clearly not being translated onto the pitch at the moment, and the players are looking crap and whinging at one another. The solution is to keep working on the training ground and trust the coach to get a tune out of the squad, not to say "sod it, toss a bunch of 18-year-olds into the Premier League because they'll put in a shift".
He isnt judging on one game though the posted you quoted I would have thought.

Jones, Lingard and I believe Pereira have been here when Ferguson was still in charge, pure madness, could barely put together a season of good performances between the three of them

Mata I believe at the time was a club record signing from Moyes time in charge. As much as I like his personality and loyalty, again what has he done in his time here, how is he still here when clearly he is past his best, which did nothing to warrant a record signing

Luke Shaw was a Van Gaal signing, he is a bit of an exception as he had his injuries in which he had a great spell before and he was very good last season, but even he has been here a long time now and shown no consistency. Remember he was a record for an English teenager or something at the time. Maybe beingn a bit harsh there but MArtial was an absolutely huge signing under Van Gaal and had a Ballon Dor clause in his contract wich is laughable now, how is he still here?

And remember we are pretty much a good three seasons now since Mourinhos last games at the club, yet there are still a whle host of players from his time at the club Bailly, Lindelof, Dalot and Fred cost us £130m odd none have really exceeded average at best. The only one still here who I think did well was Matic whose legs went a long time ago and I wont even go into club record signing Pogba who is still here and now likely to leave on a free.

Thats twelve players who have been here all before Ole took over up to nearly eight seasons ago, over half of them shouldnt be here without doubt for me yet over 2/3 of them are still gettign regular playing time and 1/3 of them are regular starters.

And this isnt even bring up some of the youth bought into the club via Van Gaal and Mourinho who are starters and should be no more than valuable squad members in my opinion.

So for me, yes there are a lot of players should be looked at in this squad who hav ebeen here a while as well os Ole signings for me. Gettign rid of players not good enough to wear the jersey and gettign rid of players who maybe are but hav enever shown any cnsitency over a few seasons to warrant it either is paramount to me. We have been poor moving players on quick enough in numbers, partly as we have made bad signings replacing them and its been a bit of a cycle.

I do agree with you that throwing kids in now isnt the answer though

Yagami

Good post resistant
If we're persisting with the 4-2-2-2, Galbraith and Mejbri are the only two I'd want in the first team right now. Something like:

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Varane ?* Shaw
Galbraith Fred
Sancho Mejbri
Ronaldo Cavani/Greenwood

?* = whoever out of Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly
Galbraith to add some composure and press resistance to the midfield, and Mejbri with his press resistance, ability to carry the ball and creativity to play the role of one of the interiores.

Red_toad

64.1% of possession isn't being dominated. We played badly and there were lots of individual errors, but certainly not dominated.

And no, things won't improve if we throw in a few youngsters, as they're not better than the senior players ahead of them as yet. Ralf won't be sacked, silly to suggest it.

Mcking

Elanga looks like a competition winner whenever he steps on the pitch, and he is supposed to be one of the best kids.

Dante

Average bang
Not just the kids, necessarily. But I'm kind of on board with the general idea.

Rangnick should be open to swapping out anybody in the first XI based on performances. If that means Elanga or Laird have a chance to step in, so be it. The senior players would have no right to whinge after they've lost their place.

red_de_pologne

How many of our players got COVID?

I remember Salah after he got it, he looked like he was finished at this level, and a month later he was superb again
I'm suprised this isn't talked about more, most of the players looked SEVERELY unfit yesterday. McTominay looked knackered in the first half already.