Ragnick should play the kids

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think it is actually in his contract that he has to start games, but towards the end of Ole's time it was the defacto position because SAF had criticised the manager (I think the Everton game) for not starting him

People need to remember who is still pulling the strings at Manchester Utd.

P.S. Has Rangnick had the balls to park in the slot marked 'Manager' or like Ole does he leave it free for Sir Alex.... or is there a new space for 'interim manager/future consultant'?
fecking hell, give it a rest.

RuudTom83

Drawing against Newcastle in his 4th game in charge (which included a 2 week break for covid) was met with talk about his position as manager and the sack. Even if the pundits said he won't get the sack! the idea it was a topic worth discussing is bonkers.

So how a United manager could bench Ronaldo and Bruno for an extended period and play Amad and Hannibal is just not viable in todays social media obsessed world. The media circus would be unbearable.

Abraxas

I don't care who he plays. To be frank I don't even particularly care how we look. I care about the results.

Not making the top 4 would be a blow. Not a critical one, maybe, but it's not the best platform for a new manager coming in, both financially and on sporting terms.

Make no mistake the club will not care about ideology at this stage, even if he has that reputation. That can come down the line in his consultancy role. The be all and end all for 6 months is to reach objectives.

If throwing the kids in is the way to do that then so be it, but I highly doubt it is. It's a case of using the better ones here and there and off the bench.

MrBest

You can't just throw 6 or 7 youngsters with no consistent premier league experience and expect top 4. It would take another transition over a few years to see the benefit. However, i do think from now there are a couple of players who deserve more minutes and could add something to our play. Mengi, Hannibal, Amad and Elanga. How much they should play is another question but out of the 4 I mentioned, i personally think Hannibal is the most ready. Amad and Elanga would benefit more from loan spells and I think Mengi could play the odd premier league game, make him 4th choice over Jones.

From next season I would add Garner and Laird to the mix but i would not be adverse to seeing them going on loan for another year but considering Dalot is average and AWB either needs a injection of motivation or his ability is limited to defensive play, Laird would be a great option. I dont usually watch many Championship games, but I have been watching him and Garner and Laird has developed so much in 12 months in two different divisions, it may even be a punt to recall him in Jan and sell Dalot. As for Garner, if he continues to develop at his pace, he could be a bery special player. I do feel he probably does need another year on loan, but either in a top 5 EU league or in the prem.

A Civilized Reader

Is City playing the kids? Is Liverpool playing the kids? Is Chelsea playing the kids?

Is Madrid playing with the kids? Is Bayern playing with the kids? Is PSG playing with the kids?

Why are so many people obsessed with kids? How many kid did United has as first team player when we dominated the league?

United in sin

Elanga, diallo, hannibal, mengi and shoretire should all find a place in the starting team and on the bench.

Even if we lose a few games atleast we'll see some desire and fight and we'll know who to ship next season and areas to be improved.
Great post. I'm ready for these kids to begin their journey as (hopefully) the spine of our team. Hopefully this is where the real cultural reboot begins, with this generation and the next group of players we sign for the first team. I don't think they should all be thrown at the deep end but I want to see them being heavily integrated into the team as the season goes.

Last edited:

Marquee Moon

Is City playing the kids? Is Liverpool playing the kids? Is Chelsea playing the kids?

Is Madrid playing with the kids? Is Bayern playing with the kids? Is PSG playing with the kids?

Why are so many people obsessed with kids? How many kid did United has as first team player when we dominated the league?
The two most important managers in the club's history both built their success upon a youth policy. Busby in the 50s, and again in the 60s. Ferguson tried some in the late 80s, but brought a more successful bunch through in the 90s. Some of these remained as stalwarts to the end. In the noughties Ferguson added kids such as Ronaldo, Rooney and Fletcher.
This method of team building resulted in the only league and European Cup wins the club has enjoyed over the last 110 years.
Aside from them two, we have basically had a bunch of Muppet managers asking themselves precisely the kind of questions you have asked in your post and spending gazillions to take us nowhere.
Of course we need good scouts and coaches to find the right ones and forge a team. But I can see why United fans see possibilities in this approach.

Reactions: oates

Ogaranya

He should recall Galbraith from loan and give him a chance in the midfield, the guy is super ready for first team action.

A Civilized Reader

The two most important managers in the club's history both built their success upon a youth policy. Busby in the 50s, and again in the 60s. Ferguson tried some in the late 80s, but brought a more successful bunch through in the 90s. Some of these remained as stalwarts to the end. In the noughties Ferguson added kids such as Ronaldo, Rooney and Fletcher.
This method of team building resulted in the only league and European Cup wins the club has enjoyed over the last 110 years.
Aside from them two, we have basically had a bunch of Muppet managers asking themselves precisely the kind of questions you have asked in your post and spending gazillions to take us nowhere.
Of course we need good scouts and coaches to find the right ones and forge a team. But I can see why United fans see possibilities in this approach.
I agree with you.

However, take a look at the names you mentioned though: Ronaldo, Rooney... or the like of Messi.. and at the moment would be Mbappe or Haaland. They were/are young but already world class level at that age. I don't see any of our current youngsters at that level.

Against Burnley, we started with Greenwood and Sancho. I think they deserved it; and I like to see them in the starting line-up; but that's about enough. For other youngsters, maybe in FA match, but not in Premier League or Champion League. Team like Ajax or Arsenal play kids because they don't have the money to buy finished products.

Look at our last Champion League group game against Young Boys. The result didn't matter, so we filled it up with all kids. Old players weren't even on the bench. That's how big clubs roll and we're no different.

roonster09

Scout
Not sure about 50s, SAF built team with good balance between experience and youth. When we won CL in 2007-08 and dominated league from 2006 to 2013,, we always had very experienced core and also superb young players.

We shouldn't be just playing the kids, we should create good team and system so that young players can fit in without problems.

Marquee Moon

I agree with you.

However, take a look at the names you mentioned though: Ronaldo, Rooney... or the like of Messi.. and at the moment would be Mbappe or Haaland. They were/are young but already world class level at that age. I don't see any of our current youngsters at that level.

Against Burnley, we started with Greenwood and Sancho. I think they deserved it; and I like to see them in the starting line-up; but that's about enough. For other youngsters, maybe in FA match, but not in Premier League or Champion League. Team like Ajax or Arsenal play kids because they don't have the money to buy finished products.

Look at our last Champion League group game against Young Boys. The result didn't matter, so we filled it up with all kids. Old players weren't even on the bench. That's how big clubs roll and we're no different.
I think it was the language you used. I'm not sure that anyone is really being obsessed. Not all of Busby's youngsters were superstars but they all played with pride for the shirt. It was just the same with Fergie's fledglings.
Of course the best teams need experienced players but sometimes I think the club looks to stockpile mature age players when the opportunity for opening up a position or two for youth players would be more beneficial.
I think you mentioned Bayern. But they seem to bring youngsters info the fold in every generation and thrive constantly as a result.

Marquee Moon

Not sure about 50s, SAF built team with good balance between experience and youth. When we won CL in 2007-08 and dominated league from 2006 to 2013,, we always had very experienced core and also superb young players.

We shouldn't be just playing the kids, we should create good team and system so that young players can fit in without problems.
The 50s, yeah I would say Taylor was signed as a teenager. Edwards, Charlton, Colman, etc. Not a bad foundation for unprecedented success. Alas!
I would have to be crazy to think we can succeed by stacking the team with inexperienced players. But no one is being that crazy.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Surely our kids can't be much worse than the turd being served by the senior players on big wages.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
fecking hell, give it a rest.
I will give it a rest when people - and some already have - realise that I'm right. Ronaldo has caused all sorts of problems this season and SAF was a key influence in getting that signing done. He continues to hold undue influence at the club, he continues to receive massive payments from the club. He was also the boss when the Glazers came in and people seem to conveniently forget about that.

When Pep Guardiola leaves City, he will leave and that will be it, no matter how many successes he has whilst there. The club wont name a stand after him, nor employ him as an 'ambassador' to keep meddling behind the scenes undermining whomever is actually the manager or interim manager, of the day.

Manchester United are living on past glories and having Sir Alex still involved in key decisions will not bring that success back.

roonster09

Scout
I will give it a rest when people - and some already have - realise that I'm right. Ronaldo has caused all sorts of problems this season and SAF was a key influence in getting that signing done. He continues to hold undue influence at the club, he continues to receive massive payments from the club. He was also the boss when the Glazers came in and people seem to conveniently forget about that.

When Pep Guardiola leaves City, he will leave and that will be it, no matter how many successes he has whilst there. The club wont name a stand after him, nor employ him as an 'ambassador' to keep meddling behind the scenes undermining whomever is actually the manager or interim manager, of the day.

Manchester United are living on past glories and having Sir Alex still involved in key decisions will not bring that success back.
:lol:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
None of the kids are ready IMO. Many will never be. It's like when Angel Gomes wasn't getting a chance. They aren't the answer.

Redfrog

Just play the youngsters to make this players ashamed of themselves.

Old Trafford support is too nice as well, Madristas would boo them all year long and make them live the same nightmare they are living by watching.
I never wanted the supporters here to act like that but they really should, the team is an embarrassment.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I still think it's a risk to throw youngsters into the deep end so this is tongue in cheek, but if Scott McTominay and Wan-Bissaka can start games for United, so can James Garner, Hannibal Mejbri and Ethan Laird.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The season is a write off anyway. Get Mejbri and Galbraith in who can at least play under pressure.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
There's something to it. Kids are able to learn and these half professionals can't and don't want to.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Can we play the kids now ?

The entire first team needs to be benched except greenwood, sancho, cavani (as a sub), dalot, telles, bruno, varane and ddg,

CM

Doesn't seem all that likely if Rangnick's prepared to let the best young player go out on loan in January. We need to do something to fix this dysfunctional attack though, things can't continue as they are.

MUFC OK

The entire first team needs to be benched except greenwood, sancho, cavani (as a sub), dalot, telles, bruno, varane and ddg,

Jesse been busy on his phone again, nothing more.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
My belief is that playing the kids is the only real way out of this mess, this group can not be coached into new systems or ideas since they believe themselves to be above them.

We need players willing to be together as a unit to be coached and developed into a cohesive team, if that means the youth team or inexperienced players then they should absolutely take over the majority of the squad. You then add higher profile signings and special players on top of that unit to give them shine and belief to win things.

We need to start from scratch.
Forget titles and trophies those will come in a few years time we are in a pivotal moment in the clubs history we either continue towards obscurity by aiming to be the next Chelsea or City or we take the trodden path laid by Busby and SAF.

TheRedHearted

Doesn't seem all that likely if Rangnick's prepared to let the best young player go out on loan in January. We need to do something to fix this dysfunctional attack though, things can't continue as they are.
Who does he want to send out?

Daengophile

If we bring in some kids and bring back some loanees and put some more kids on loan.....

The one thing these players would need is mentoring. That's certainly a role that Ronaldo could do. Fitness. Commitment. Health. Attitude

Teja

I think we could learn from Arteta for a bit. It's fine to drop players like Auba, Ozil, Lacazette even if things don't go your way in the short term.

A manager needs to assert his authority, if the players don't respect him / fear him a little, he'd be failing at his job. Drop whoever needs dropping.

RedDevil@84

I think we could learn from Arteta for a bit. It's fine to drop players like Auba, Ozil, Lacazette even if things don't go your way in the short term.

A manager needs to assert his authority, if the players don't respect him / fear him a little, he'd be failing at his job. Drop whoever needs dropping.
Arteta had the full support of the club to do that. I am not sure if Rangnick has similar support.

Smores

To be fair most of those lads had decent loans away up until their 20s. I think next season we've probably got a few coming back that might get minutes.

The likes of Amad and Elanga should be out on loan getting decent minutes so they can come back and challenge. I'm not a fan of keeping them around just to be benched or play in the reserves.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Who are these kids as you say ? Amad is going out on loan, so is Mengi and Laird.
To even put out a decent team, we need something like below.

Mason, Elanga, Sancho, Mejbri, Fred, McT, Dalot, Shaw, Varane,Jones ,DDG.

Not a bad team and would be definitely fare better than the current team but would need some serious reinforcements .

JB7

Literally one of the first players that needs to be benched if we are going to progress. You talk about playing the younger players but won't play the most ready of all of them?