Raheem Sterling vs Joe Gomez

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
It depends what he has done. We don't know so it's hard to judge, but I suspect if we were playing Germany and Spain in the next week, Southgate might have made a different decision.
sounds like scuffle. I think even if he punched him and dropped him he wouldn’t be dropped for an important game. This is the reason I don’t want Liverpool to win the league. Their players will become unbearable

Bojan11

who the hell is joe Gomez? Sterling is Englands best player and if this nobody is upsetting him he shouldn’t be in the squad. Sterling would never be sent home if this was in the World Cup because of a backup player England dont need.
It doesn’t matter if he is England’s greatest player, if he’s starting fights then Southgate is well within his rights to kick him out. If he allows that then the players will think they in control. Fergie used to say once you let the players think they bigger than you it’s time for you to go.

He also is dropped. He’s still with the squad apparently.

Cloud7

Sterling is a snake. Always has been always will be.

His statement is hilarious "Everyone knows im not that way inclined". No Raheem, everyone dislikes you because they know thats exactly the way you are inclined.
No mate I think you’ll find the the only people that dislike Sterling or consider him a snake are bitter Liverpool fans :lol:

Bulldog United

sounds like scuffle. I think even if he punched him and dropped him he wouldn’t be dropped for an important game. This is the reason I don’t want Liverpool to win the league. Their players will become unbearable
Southgate probably saw this is a good opportunity to remind everyone of their responsibilities ahead of a big summer for England. You can't have players fighting within the squad. I doubt City or Sterling himself minds that he's getting a week off either. :D

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Reporting for England duty a day after a big game, when they've had a conflict on the pitch and can't have it out without getting sent off. It's hardly likely they're gonna turn up and be best mates. Tempers run high, how many times do yo hear stuff going down in training between people on the same team who don't get on? In some ways it's better for them to have an argument in a canteen than one of them losing temper in training.

Obviously not what you want if you give a damn about England but I'd rather Sterling be fired up about City than the national team. Hopefully he uses it to play better for the rest of the season.

Reactions: jojojo

Drainy

Flare ups happen all the time.

Making it public is Southgate stamping out club based tensions in the squad before they impact cohesion like with the golden generation.

The Urban Goose

What's happened to the days of keeping this kind of thing "in house" and making up an injury? "Sterling suffered a dead leg in training".

Not sure public shaming will have the longer term effect Southgate anticipates.

Reactions: jojojo

Kostur

海尔的老板
who the hell is joe Gomez? Sterling is Englands best player and if this nobody is upsetting him he shouldn’t be in the squad. Sterling would never be sent home if this was in the World Cup because of a backup player England dont need.
:lol:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
This thread is wild.

Literally no factual details announced yet people taking sides, asking why Gomez is in the squad etc.

All we know is that a lad has been sent home. That’s very unusual. He’s probably acted very badly or he’s too emotional to concentrate on football.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
It doesn’t matter if he is England’s greatest player, if he’s starting fights then Southgate is well within his rights to kick him out. If he allows that then the players will think they in control. Fergie used to say once you let the players think they bigger than you it’s time for you to go.

He also is dropped. He’s still with the squad apparently.
You think Fergie would sell prime Ronaldo if he had him and he slapped Darren Gibson? Mate footballers are not equal. Sterling and Gomes are not equal. Also this guy started it with how treated sterling on Sunday.

Bojan11

You think Fergie would sell prime Ronaldo if he had him and he slapped Darren Gibson? Mate footballers are not equal. Sterling and Gomes are not equal. Also this guy started it with how treated sterling on Sunday.
You just went to another extreme there. Fergie would drop Ronaldo if he slapped anyone just like Southgate has done. So you think because they a big player they can just do anything. Start fights all they want, if football clubs were run like how you want them to be there would be anarchy. Players should know their boundaries and Sterling crossed it. He’s even admitted it himself yet we got you defending him.

Coxy

This thread is wild.

Literally no factual details announced yet people taking sides, asking why Gomez is in the squad etc.

All we know is that a lad has been sent home. That’s very unusual. He’s probably acted very badly or he’s too emotional to concentrate on football.
The first page in particular is full of some idiotic posts.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Totally normal for tempers to flare on the pitch. What isn't normal is still being mad a whole 24 hours later and taking that into a different work environment. Proper childish from Sterling.

It's a good sign for us at least to see City players losing their heads over the title race in November. And by the sounds of it Gomez was calm so he realised it for what it was: Sterling being rattled by the pressure.

UpWithRivers

Attacking a scouser gets extra points but Sterling is half Scouse/half City - would be good if they just knocked each other out :-)
Joking aside its nothing about nothing. Its a normal part of football. Both to blame but I presume Sterling laid hands and Gomez didnt so he had to be suspended. Nothing to see...move on

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't blame City players for being fired up after the disgusting officiating in the game. Granted it's not Gomez fault.

No one with a competitive mentality just going to blindly accept being "cheated" like that though.

Totally understandable reaction,. I can imagine Pep probably feels similarly, plus Sterling won't get injured now at least so it's a win for him.

padzilla

Hipster
You just went to another extreme there. Fergie would drop Ronaldo if he slapped anyone just like Southgate has done. So you think because they a big player they can just do anything. Start fights all they want, if football clubs were run like how you want them to be there would be anarchy. Players should know their boundaries and Sterling crossed it. He’s even admitted it himself yet we got you defending him.
Fergie dropped Rooney for being drunk during the week for a game against Blackburn years ago, we ended up losing 3-2, ultimately losing the league on goal difference or a point to City that season - I think if Rooney had played that game we could certainly have expected to get a result at least.

Nickelodeon

Sterling is being a sore loser. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. In today's game, I hate it when the major reaction for managers and players is to downplay their own team's chances and to try and portray the other team as the favorites which is in stark contrast to the Fergie Vs. Wenger Vs. Mourinho time.

Zen86

If true, Sterling should 100% be punished for it. Who he is and who he’s doing it to is completely irrelevant.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
People saying you don't understand how you let yourself still be angry 24 hours after a game....

Really? You cant understand how something might still be raw for you 24hrs later? Especially in an occupation like football where a winning mentality is desired and ingrained in players.

Of course its not ideal for the team and Southgate has done what he needs to do, but of course its understandable. They had a fierce game and it maybe took more than 24hrs for them to cool off.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Gomez has played 1 PL game this season, irrespective of this incident, its right to question what he is doing in the squad.
Irrespective of Gomez’s position in the squad, why has Sterling been sent home?

That’s the only show in town here. Nothing to do with Gomez’s selection.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's a tempest in a teacup really.

CM

You could see Sterling's head was gone on Sunday. There were a few petulant incidents involving him towards the end of the game, it was surprising he didn't get booked.

Classical Mechanic

This is the exact reason I detest the scouse lot & the media that panders to them.

For well i’m excess of a decade the likes of Beckham, Neville, Rio [& so on] would go away on international duty after winning trophy upon trophy without any “banter” going too far.

Yes there were stories of divides but results were left to speak for themselves & wouldn’t even give the time of day to players if they didn’t particularly like them.

Roll on to the present day where them idiots have finally won 1 trophy in 12/13 seasons & some upstart defender takes the banter too far.

They should both be bloody banned, don’t empower a lack of class in victory as much as telling Sterling he needs to man up in defeat.
You talk about those days like it was a roaring success for England. You say just 'divides' but a continuous poor squad dynamic is likely to hamper the results. I remember we used to hear stories about how players were bored on international duty, and like anyone else at work if your bored that affects your motivation.
@saivet is right here. Sterling is on very rocky ground because England have worked very hard to eradicate the club based cliques and disharmony that used to plague the squad.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good job Raheem.

City won't mind if he gets reseted over the international break.