Raheem Sterling vs Joe Gomez

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds like Gomez purposely goading Sterling to me.

He "leant over him" to shake his hand? doesn't sound the smartest way of trying to make up to me.

No wonder Sterling snapped out. If somebody i'd just had a row with did that to me i'd do the same.

Classical Mechanic

Hope Raheem retires from international football. He knows where he stands now - he can spend years working harder than anybody else should ever have to in order to "redeem himself" in the eyes of the public, but that can all be undone in the space of a single argument. Really disappointed (and suspicious) that Southgate's hung him out to dry like this after consistently backing him but at least it shows that Sterling has no actual friends at the FA, nobody who would genuinely back him unless they wanted to be seen doing so.
They don't want club rivalries affecting the England side. Sterling has acted like a child. It isn't complicated.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sterlings behaviour wasn't great but it appears to be a rather excessive reaction by the FA/Southgate. Arguments happen, bust ups happen. By dropping sterling they've made it into a bigger issue that it needed to be.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
They don't want club rivalries affecting the England side. Sterling has acted like a child. It isn't complicated.
You don't think this happened all the time back in the days of Neville, Beckham and Ferdinand sharing a dressing room with Terry, Cole and Lampard? Of course it did.

Very unusual that this has been leaked.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
One should always keep emotions out of the job but in the end they are just human beings.
People tend to forget that footballers are very young half boy / half man with most of them being under 30.
I for example have been a useless idiot until 25 or so.
Exactly. And the worrying thing isn't that it happened, it's that it got out like it did. Keeping things like that outside of the view is far more important than avoiding those types of confrontations that will happen from time to time.

Classical Mechanic

You don't think this happened all the time back in the days of Neville, Beckham and Ferdinand sharing a dressing room with Terry, Cole and Lampard? Of course it did.

Very unusual that this has been leaked.
The England squad used to have a divided (along club lines) and toxic atmosphere with players like Carrick pulling out because going away with the team made him feel depressed. The FA made it a priority to eradicate that and have done so successfully. If a player threatens that, even if it is Sterling, he won't get selected. As it is, I'm sure he'll realise the error of his ways and wind his neck in. The signs are that he has done so.

Pagh Wraith

It's not part of the game. If you do it, you are a cnut and should live with the consequences. Kicking, grabbing, insulting etc. isn't all good as long as it happens on the football pitch. I like what Sterling has done. If someone behaves like an asshole and then conveniently pretends like nothing happens, he should be confronted for it.
It was Sterling who behaved badly, though. He was rattled all game and lost his cool against Gomez. Then he goes to grab his neck a day later in front of their team mates. Seems sensible to drop him for a game.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The bigger issue for Southgate is the fact that what appears to be a matter that was already dealt with internally (i.e. the agreement of the squad that Southgate referenced) was leaked out to the press. There's too many specifics for my liking.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
The England squad used to have a divided (along club lines) and toxic atmosphere with players like Carrick pulling out because going away with the team made him feel depressed. The FA made it a priority to eradicate that and have done so successfully. If a player threatens that, even if it is Sterling, he won't get selected. As it is, I'm sure he'll realise the error of his ways and wind his neck in. The signs are that he has done so.
The fact that Raheem has already wound his neck in makes the punishment look overzealous. It looks like Southgate and the FA have panicked in the heat of the moment, made this big announcement in the dead of night, and now can't back down. They've hung Sterling out to dry.

As far as I'm concerned this is a plus for City. Raheem gets a rest. But man does it say a lot about how the FA still view Raheem despite all the effort he's put in.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope Raheem retires from international football. He knows where he stands now - he can spend years working harder than anybody else should ever have to in order to "redeem himself" in the eyes of the public, but that can all be undone in the space of a single argument. Really disappointed (and suspicious) that Southgate's hung him out to dry like this after consistently backing him but at least it shows that Sterling has no actual friends at the FA, nobody who would genuinely back him unless they wanted to be seen doing so.
You're supposed to add white text at the end.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surprised this doesn't happen much more.

You hate each other all year, then expect them to be all matey when they join up.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
If you take the clubs and personalities out of this.....

Player A and Player B have a snafu on the Sunday for their clubs. The following day they meet up for their national side, and Player A apparently tries to carry it on, verbally challenges and tries to grab Player B by the neck when he's putting milk on his cornflakes.

Player A is in the wrong.

What's kind of weird, and probably new is the lack of realpolitick by England/FA.

Bringing personalities back into it, back in the day Alan Shearer could kick people in the face, chin people and still get selected, whereas Gary Cahill could get dropped for putting his car in the wrong parking space.

Don't know how different this would be panning out if we were playing Spain, but I'm guessing Southgate/England feel they can make a point as.....well...it's only Montenegro/Kosovo etc.

elánius

England or maybe FA once again trying to be cool, but they wouldn't drop Sterling if their qualification wasn't already secured. So this is just a theatre, similar to one that they showed last game -if England wants to face racism, they should definitely start at home.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Tin foil hat.

Number4.

Sterling has shown his true colours both here and Sunday.

He behaved as badly as Saurez on a bad day on Sunday, abusing the ref a good few times, petty squabbles with Gomez and Alexander-Arnold and he left a really really nasty one on Van Dijk, where he clearly knew what he was doing. Any other player on the pitch would have collected 3 or 4 yellow cards for his behaviour.

He is well aware of this elevated position in media society, following the disgusting treatment he had to put up with from the Tabloid press & is now behaving like a diplomat with immunity, knowing he won't get criticised as he should when he pushes boundaries, the media are now petrified of any content which criticises any of his behavior now, whether deserved or not.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You make it sound like Sterling is the victim here - is this what you're getting from the information that has been made public?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He behaved as badly as Saurez on a bad day on Sunday, abusing the ref a good few times, petty squabbles with Gomez and Alexander-Arnold and he left a really really nasty one on Van Dijk, where he clearly knew what he was doing. Any other player on the pitch would have collected 3 or 4 yellow cards for his behaviour.

He is well aware of this elevated position in media society, following the disgusting treatment he had to put up with from the Tabloid press & is now behaving like a diplomat with immunity, knowing he won't get criticised as he should when he pushes boundaries, the media are now petrified of any content which criticises any of his behavior now, whether deserved or not.
That's some tin foil hat stuff. Heat of the moment, he had a small fight in the game and then the next day they had some argument about it. Big deal, it's not like he is giving press conference abusing everyone, it happened in the England camp and should have stayed inside, but somehow made it to the press.

saivet

:lol: worthy of 3 or 4 yellow cards?

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
You make it sound like Sterling is the victim here - is this what you're getting from the information that has been made public?
Not exactly. If he's not been able to let it go after Sunday then that's on him. What bothers me is the way the FA have hung Sterling out to dry even after him and Gomez have apologised to each other. Instead of keeping it in-house and dealing with it internally, this has been intentionally leaked and Sterling has been made a scapegoat for no real reason. Rows like this happen in every office and every team-based environment in the world. Quite often it's, as Sterling's said, an incident that lasts 5-10 seconds and is over before anyone can blink. What the FA have done is pretty slimy - they've leaked the story in the dead of night for some reason, before Sterling and Gomez had the chance to put out their version of events, and they've made everybody look bad. Before all the facts came out there were quite a few people in here sticking the boot into Gomez. That's what football fans do - this is trial by mob rule it's and changed my views on Southgate.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Southgate: "Now that the decision has been made with the agreement of the entire squad, it's important that we support the players and focus on Thursday night."

Which one is it then? As I said earlier, the bigger issue is whoever is feeding info to the media not what happened between Sterling and Gomez.

The FA/Southgate only released a statement after the story came out on social media.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Amidst all the rumours, one of the only things we can establish with 100% surety is that Sterling doesn't proofread his Instagram updates.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not exactly. If he's not been able to let it go after Sunday then that's on him. What bothers me is the way the FA have hung Sterling out to dry even after him and Gomez have apologised to each other. Instead of keeping it in-house and dealing with it internally, this has been intentionally leaked and Sterling has been made a scapegoat for no real reason. Rows like this happen in every office and every team-based environment in the world. Quite often it's, as Sterling's said, an incident that lasts 5-10 seconds and is over before anyone can blink. What the FA have done is pretty slimy - they've leaked the story in the dead of night for some reason, before Sterling and Gomez had the chance to put out their version of events, and they've made everybody look bad. Before all the facts came out there were quite a few people in here sticking the boot into Gomez. That's what football fans do - this is trial by mob rule it's and changed my views on Southgate.
That it happens in "every office and every team based environment in the world" isn't relevant, given the mediatic nature of football at this level. Also, didn't Sterling try to grab him by the neck? What kind of office do you work in where this happens?

Number4.

That it happens in "every office and every team based environment in the world" isn't relevant, given the mediatic nature of football at this level. Also, didn't Sterling try to grab him by the neck? What kind of office do you work in where this happens?
Similar incident happened in my office years ago, two lads squabbled and one grabbed the other by the throat. Both were interviewed after and the aggressor sacked.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Bigger and has a reach advantage. Only one way to find out, UFC 246 has no main event. Someone call Dana!
Didn't you learn anything from the last Joshua fight....

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Sterling is the instigator. He's not being hung out to dry, he took himself out and even attached the clothespins himself.

You won't get backed when you instigate confrontations with your teammates outside of the football pitch, nor should you. But he's not dropped from the national team, just the squad for Montenegro since he couldn't keep his temper under control. Call it a toddlers timeout rather than a public lynching.

Nick7

Southgate: "Now that the decision has been made with the agreement of the entire squad, it's important that we support the players and focus on Thursday night."

Which one is it then? As I said earlier, the bigger issue is whoever is feeding info to the media not what happened between Sterling and Gomez.

The FA/Southgate only released a statement after the story came out on social media.
It's probably not the one being peddled by the mirror.

edit: it's the mail, even worse!