Raheem Sterling vs Joe Gomez

tomaldinho1

This is such non news, there weren't even punches thrown or even any kind of fight by the sounds of it. Next we'll be hearing it's KSI vs Tommy Fury with Gomez vs Sterling on the undercard

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Sterling is the instigator. He's not being hung out to dry, he took himself out and even attached the clothespins himself.

You won't get backed when you instigate confrontations with your teammates outside of the football pitch, nor should you. But he's not dropped from the national team, just the squad for Montenegro since he couldn't keep his temper under control. Call it a toddlers timeout rather than a public lynching.
And yet.

Southgate's acted like an idiot here. No time was given to considering how this incident might reflect on the people involved once it was made public.

BigBebe

The England squad used to have a divided (along club lines) and toxic atmosphere with players like Carrick pulling out because going away with the team made him feel depressed. The FA made it a priority to eradicate that and have done so successfully. If a player threatens that, even if it is Sterling, he won't get selected. As it is, I'm sure he'll realise the error of his ways and wind his neck in. The signs are that he has done so.
I think that Carrick's feeling of depression was probably more about StevieG and Lamps being selected ahead of him and then have to sit on the sidelines watching England unable to string two passes together.

Total overreaction by Southgate in my view/

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The fact that Raheem has already wound his neck in makes the punishment look overzealous. It looks like Southgate and the FA have panicked in the heat of the moment, made this big announcement in the dead of night, and now can't back down. They've hung Sterling out to dry.

As far as I'm concerned this is a plus for City. Raheem gets a rest. But man does it say a lot about how the FA still view Raheem despite all the effort he's put in.
Sterling doesn't appear to be blameless in this saga but I agree Southgate has handled this badly. These types of scuffles have always occurred and why Sterling should be dropped is beyond me.

It is not a difficult situation to diffuse at all. Handbags, separate, cool down, talk to both of them separately, tell them they need to recognise they were both at fault and for the good of the national team they need to reconcile their differences and move on. Sit them down together and tell them they are not more important than the national team and the whole country will expect them to be at their very best when the team is selected. Southgate has demonstrated a real lack of interpersonal management skill here and the FA have tolerated it.

This really isn't a difficult situation to resolve at all.

littlepeasoup

More ammo for those in the media with a vendetta against the lad. Just makes me like him more tbh. Probably the only player to have played for both Liverpool and City who I would gladly welcome to United with open arms.

Zoo

I agree with Rio here. If Gomez was fine about it with it then Southgate should have just closed ranks.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the only logical punnishment would be to take 5 point off both teams in the league ;).

a123

Supports
Liverpool
People saying you don't understand how you let yourself still be angry 24 hours after a game....

Really? You cant understand how something might still be raw for you 24hrs later? Especially in an occupation like football where a winning mentality is desired and ingrained in players.

Of course its not ideal for the team and Southgate has done what he needs to do, but of course its understandable. They had a fierce game and it maybe took more than 24hrs for them to cool off.
Gomez was on the pitch for 3 minutes. Her came on in the 87th minute. They had a little push and shove for 5 seconds. Why would you carry that on the next day? He had bigger running battles with other players.

It childish to have a feud with Gomez. He played for 3 minutes in the game.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just because Gomez does not care, Southgate can't have players acting like that.

This was not a "heat of the moment" training ground flare up that is very common.

Dropping him for 1 game is reasonable.

Bojan11

It's not part of the game. If you do it, you are a cnut and should live with the consequences. Kicking, grabbing, insulting etc. isn't all good as long as it happens on the football pitch. I like what Sterling has done. If someone behaves like an asshole and then conveniently pretends like nothing happens, he should be confronted for it.
Don’t know what you going on about.

Last time I checked both were shoving each other and Sterling was insulting back. It’s just he couldn’t handle it and the atmosphere returning to Liverpool.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Sterling is annoying little cnut on the pitch that made himself actually bit more sympathetic with all the racism stuff, and fair feck to him for that. But he is still annoying and deserves a punch or too from time to time as a character. He is always just moaning about something, that video of the incident pretty much sums him up whenever something doesn't go his way.

a123

Supports
Liverpool
Sterling is clearly in the wrong here. Its immature and insecure of him to bring the issue up the next day against a player that came on in the 87th minute and was barely on the pitch. He is probably a little annoyed that social media mocked him a bit in the way Gomez picked him up like a little child.

However, Southgate shouldnt have dropped him. Its not that big a deal. Its a very Southgatey type to thing to do, being nice, formal, and politically correct but it wasnt necessary.

To put it in context Craig Bellamy once took a golf club to John Arne Riises's legs in a hotel in Spain. What did Rafa do? He played both players the next day. Bellamy scored and we beat Barcelona 2-1 at the Nou Camp! Bellamys goal celebration was a golf swing :)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just because Gomez does not care, Southgate can't have players acting like that.

This was not a "heat of the moment" training ground flare up that is very common.

Dropping him for 1 game is reasonable.
Genuinely confused as to why people are defending Sterling in here, it's a pretty straightforward decision from Southgate.

TheLiverBird

Sterling is annoying little cnut on the pitch that made himself actually bit more sympathetic with all the racism stuff, and fair feck to him for that. But he is still annoying and deserves a punch or too from time to time as a character. He is always just moaning about something, that video of the incident pretty much sums him up whenever something doesn't go his way.
:lol::lol::lol:

Jesus, do you know Sterling personally do you??

the internet is a scary scary place

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Genuinely confused as to why people are defending Sterling in here, it's a pretty straightforward decision from Southgate.
I agree. Sterling was losing his mind throughout the match ending with a stamp on VVD. To keep it going is just childish. Southgate did the right thing.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Mountain out of a molehill. Like this doesn’t happen every week in training behind closed doors on some level. That’s also where it should stay.

DVG7

This is an awful post and unfortunately one of many in this thread. I do not understand any disliking towards Sterling at all. A supremely talented player who has gone on to justify his original hype, under intense media scrutiny his entire career and making more of a stand against racism than the majority of professional athletes.

Berbaclass

I doubt events similar to these happen every week and I don't understand people trying to push this point.
They’re grown men in a high pressure environment. Granted I doubt they come to blows on a daily basis but training ground bust ups are fairly common IMO.

We will obviously only hear about extreme cases as the sensible thing to do is deal with it internally.

Needham

If we don't win Euro 2020 it's Sterling's fault. That much is crystal fecking clear.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, this is not a good post.

ChaddyP

:lol: "Impressed others"

Gomez is a twat but he's no fool. Sterling is seemingly a very popular player and the general media darling, go up against him in a tit for tat and there is only one winner.

If it was Kane Vs Sterling that's different.
Sterling is a media darling?

Apokalips

So it's like when you scratch your cheek after trimming your nails. Big deal. It's microscopic.
Also who even says it was from this altercation. It could have happened on the pitch. Rio is right, keep it in house and just bench Sterling or something with a vague niggle. Pointless attention brought to this now.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It just said “private team area” which I assume is somewhere on the training ground no?
They were having lunch in a private canteen.

If there was a coming together on a training pitch then yeah, that shit happens all the time.

Players attacking team mates when they're all stuffing their faces with pasta and beans is not the norm.

Berbaclass

They were having lunch in a private canteen.

If there was a coming together on a training pitch then yeah, that shit happens all the time.

Players attacking team mates when they're all stuffing their faces with pasta and beans is not the norm.
I don’t disagree, I think there must be more to it than that.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They’re grown men in a high pressure environment. Granted I doubt they come to blows on a daily basis but training ground bust ups are fairly common IMO.

We will obviously only hear about extreme cases as the sensible thing to do is deal with it internally.
Having a scuffle on the training ground and confronting a teammate in the canteen are fairly different things.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
fecking hell "2 team mates don't see eye to eye after a massive match" I swear our media are nothing but sensationalist rabble, a storm in a tea cup, catch a grip.

montpelier

Don’t know what you going on about.

Last time I checked both were shoving each other and Sterling was insulting back. It’s just he couldn’t handle it and the atmosphere returning to Liverpool.
Maybe Liverpool could back off a bit from winding up their crowd by using Sterling as a target.

Defenders tried to push him in the crowd 3 times and were always looking to react to anything Sterling did.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
'All the racism stuff'...

'Deserves a punch from time to time'...

Awful, idiotic post.