Raheem Sterling vs Joe Gomez

montpelier

The large proportion of bellends in the Liverpool crowd are going too far anyway. Did the bus get there OK this time.

Zoo

What’s with the focus on the scratch, is it confirmed that Sterling inflicted it?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't care if Southgate is involved, even Boris Johnson.
All I know is it's a pretty bad situation to be in. Two players who were playing under the banner of fair play is causing havoc to their own national team. The FA needs to do something about this. Both Liverpool and City deserve to be deducted by 35 points in the Premier League for this incident.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Expert management by Southgate once again.

He lacks tactically, but he understands English players, and the media too.

Sending him home is a Nuke. Publicly yelling his best player off is a really sensible move.

Sterling is an absolute weapon but gloriously talented. If Pep has managed to harness his technical ability, maybe Southgate can round off some of those childish personality edges that he still has.

He’s so good. I think he could be a world footballer of the year inside 5 years.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think he took it personal with Gomes and not TAA because he tried to like lift him up like a doll. It was disrespectful, whereas anything that happened with TAA was just in the course of business. Thats why this happened with gomes and not TAA
It wasn’t personal. It was professional. He derailed Sterling. It was gamesmanship.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Sounds like Gomez purposely goading Sterling to me.

He "leant over him" to shake his hand? doesn't sound the smartest way of trying to make up to me.

No wonder Sterling snapped out. If somebody i'd just had a row with did that to me i'd do the same.
Yes. And you’d be the one missing an International. Bravo.

UnrelatedPsuedo

And yet.

Southgate's acted like an idiot here. No time was given to considering how this incident might reflect on the people involved once it was made public.
He’s absolutely nailed it. What the feck are you talking about?

All upside. No downside.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes. And you’d be the one missing an International. Bravo.
It is what it is.

We obviously don't know the full situation, if Gomez was acting cocky and trying to wind him up on purpose I don't blame him for standing his ground and not looking weak infront of his team mates.

GenZRed

I wonder what would happen, if Sterling just retired from playing for England over this - easily one of our country's best players at the moment, and his attitude kicks in and he say's:

"That's it....I'm done with playing for England"
Sterling retiring from England would be pathetic and petulant.

Takes throwing your dummy out to a whole new level.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Said this plenty of times but making Sterling some kind of figurehead of the England squad and to speak out against things like racism is a terrible idea. The guy is a massive idiot and so will behave like one.

There was the silly outcry over all the "unfair" treatment the media gave him, but what that has done is made him immune from entirely fair criticism. Even now. He's been kicked out of the England squad for fighting with a team mate who now mysteriously has a scratch on his face. If it were Rooney or pretty much any other high profile player they would be lynched in the press.

People are scared to criticise sterling and instead build him up as a hero because they are afraid of being called racist.

This is someone who's so smart they got an image of a gun tattooed on them and then accused everyone of being racist for criticising them for having a tattoo of a gun.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It is what it is.

We obviously don't know the full situation, if Gomez was acting cocky and trying to wind him up on purpose I don't blame him for standing his ground and not looking weak infront of his team mates.
Nor do I. But not do I let media shite blow it o of all proportion.

Something happened.
Southgate worked out what happened.
Clearly trusted the two to work it out.
Punished the human that couldn’t control his emotions.

He didn’t send him home. He dropped him. Still in the squad. Still training. Sterling doesn’t give a shit. He’s world class. Gomez is a back up centre half. They’ll make peace. Sterling gets brought down a peg or two. The whole squad knows that Southgate won’t take any shit.

It was a free hit for Southgate and he nailed it. He’s an expert man manager. If only he knew how to coach a team on the field........

Posh Red

Said this plenty of times but making Sterling some kind of figurehead of the England squad and to speak out against things like racism is a terrible idea. The guy is a massive idiot and so will behave like one.

There was the silly outcry over all the "unfair" treatment the media gave him, but what that has done is made him immune from entirely fair criticism. Even now. He's been kicked out of the England squad for fighting with a team mate who now mysteriously has a scratch on his face. If it were Rooney or pretty much any other high profile player they would be lynched in the press.

People are scared to criticise sterling and instead build him up as a hero because they are afraid of being called racist.

This is someone who's so smart they got an image of a gun tattooed on them and then accused everyone of being racist for criticising them for having a tattoo of a gun.
Did he actually say this at any point?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sterling is annoying little cnut on the pitch that made himself actually bit more sympathetic with all the racism stuff, and fair feck to him for that. But he is still annoying and deserves a punch or too from time to time as a character. He is always just moaning about something, that video of the incident pretty much sums him up whenever something doesn't go his way.
God, there’s some right shit being posted on here today

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nor do I. But not do I let media shite blow it o of all proportion.

Something happened.
Southgate worked out what happened.
Clearly trusted the two to work it out.
Punished the human that couldn’t control his emotions.

He didn’t send him home. He dropped him. Still in the squad. Still training. Sterling doesn’t give a shit. He’s world class. Gomez is a back up centre half. They’ll make peace. Sterling gets brought down a peg or two. The whole squad knows that Southgate won’t take any shit.

It was a free hit for Southgate and he nailed it. He’s an expert man manager. If only he knew how to coach a team on the field........
IMO i'm not sure going public with this was the right thing to do, but I guess he'd be getting questions if Sterling didn't start anyway.

I guess the leak forced his hand, but I agree after that it was handled well.

Inigo Montoya

Did he actually say this at any point?
Nope he didn’t it was other BME spokespeople journos, who spoke up due to the disproportionate criticism he got for the tattoo and his performances.

But there are posters on here who will happily post revisionist nonsense

Inigo Montoya

He scratched him? What a big girls blouse :lol:
You ever been clawed on the face? It’s a legitimate move if you want to hurt someone and it hurts.
There are no “mens moves and women's moves” if you’re looking to hurt someone.

Inigo Montoya

Of course there is. You ever seen women fighting down deansgate locks on a Saturday night? It’s a great laugh! Highly recommended viewing.
No but I’ve fought people who do whatever it takes to hurt you. They will use whatever to get an advantage to inflict pain.
So someone using their nails isn’t a laugh but I’ll bow to your expertise in watching fights:rolleyes:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Instead of going mental, Sterling should have approached Gomez and said 'Challenge?'

Just like Gangs of New York style, that would have sorted this out without anyone needing to be sent home.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Imaging choosing to use the term ‘lynched’ at the same time you make false accusations about Sterling calling people racist for criticising his tattoo? I’d like to give you the benefit of the doubt but I think you know what you’re doing. You’re a fecking moron.

Inigo Montoya

Imaging choosing to use the term ‘lynched’ at the same time you make false accusations about Sterling calling people racist for criticising his tattoo? I’d like to give you the benefit of the doubt but I think you know what you’re doing. You’re a fecking moron.
Spot on

Ole90+3

Easy if someone’s walking up to you or leaving their groin exposed. Often people act out of impulse and rage, they start pushing and grappling etc.
I'm not asking how difficult it is to kick someone in the bollocks. Rather, do you think that is an acceptable move in a fight between 2 men who each think they are "harder" than the other.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Details obviously sparse but the main issue from the sounds of it is not so much the confrontation itself but the lack of an immediate spark for it. It’s not like reacting to a bad challenge in the heat of the moment, as probably happens often in training. It seems as if Sterling has been letting that one little clash stew inside him for a day. That’s likely what’s compelled Southgate’s response. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomez was not as innocent as the reports seem to intimate but clearly Sterling is out of order by reacting aggressively and is right to accept full responsibility.

hobbers

Haha imagine that little nancy standing on his tippy toes to grab Gomez by the throat. Anyone witnessing it was probably in hysterics.

If you can't beat em, scratch their eye out.