Raheem Sterling

CallyRed

Sterling's reaction after they shouted at him made me think something racist was said. He sort of looked at the referee and gestered his hand towards the guys shouting at him.

Pagh Wraith

Regardless of any racist comment, why would grown people behave like this?
I have enormous respect for footballers.
What other profession is regularly taking abuse while working accepted?
As I said last night, I'm utterly terrible at lip-reading. Which is the part with the alleged racial abuse? The bloke on the right says about 10 different words.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To those who are puzzled by Raheem, the other black Chelsea fan, or the black Chelsea steward not reacting violently or choosing to laugh in response to what was said - I can only presume that you have gone through life without experiencing racism regularly.
At some point, and mainly in public when you are mostly isolated - you are left frozen and unable to react properly, so laughing it off is usually the most productive reaction because you recognise that you have no power in the situation, and it’s best not to lower yourself to their level.
Raheem says as much in his Instagram post, and I’m glad he pointed this out.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Daily Mail is one of the worst things to have happened to this country.

Adisa

As I said last night, I'm utterly terrible at lip-reading. Which is the part with the alleged racial abuse? The bloke on the right says about 10 different words.
Even if it wasn't racism (Sterling's post suggests it was), why be so abusive to someone doing his job?.
No one on this forum or the man works under those conditions.

Pagh Wraith

Even if it wasn't racism (Sterling's post suggests it was), why be so abusive to someone doing his job?.
Just curious because everyone seems sure what was said based on the footage. I couldn't even make out which language they were speaking if I didn't know.

Adisa

To those who are puzzled by Raheem, the other black Chelsea fan, or the black Chelsea steward not reacting violently or choosing to laugh in response to what was said - I can only presume that you have gone through life without experiencing racism regularly.
At some point, and mainly in public when you are mostly isolated - you are left frozen and unable to react properly, so laughing it off is usually the most productive reaction because you recognise that you have no power in the situation, and it’s best not to lower yourself to their level.
Raheem says as much in his Instagram post, and I’m glad he pointed this out.
People laugh/smile of being racially abused all the time. Anyone using the black man's reaction as evidence Sterling wasn't racially abused knows feck all.
It's happened to me.

Adisa

Just curious because everyone seems sure what was said based on the footage. I couldn't even make out which language they were speaking if I didn't know.
He either called him "manc" or "black". Sterling's reaction in the video and his post on Instagram suggests it was the later.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
People laugh/smile of being racially abused all the time. Anyone using the black man's reaction as evidence Sterling wasn't racially abused knows feck all.
It's happened to me.
Exactly this, you have to laugh or shake your head because it’s not the first time, won’t be the last time and if you react negatively then the benefit of doubt won’t be given to you.

'What happened to free speech ? ' are some of the replies on Twitter.
Twitter ,much like Youtube comment sections, seem to attract the most right wing soulless,racist dicks in humanity.

Pagh Wraith

He either called him "manc" or "black". Sterling's reaction in the video and his post on Instagram suggests it was the later.
Yes, I just want to know at which point in the clip above he says these words. Because he clearly says more than just the phrase everyone is talking about now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'What happened to free speech ? ' are some of the replies on Twitter.
Twitter ,much like Youtube comment sections, seem to attract the most right wing soulless,racist dicks in humanity.
As with the fans in question, people are only 'bold' when they expect no repercussions.

Kostur

海尔的老板
God forbid you should actually name that 'certain media', Henry... :rolleyes:
As we speak, there's a committee being assembled, Suarez, Terry, Vardy, The Sun and Hitler being the most prominent and vehement defenders of young black players.

GeorgieBoy

Sterling is easily my favourite non-United player. He gets so much shit but always conducts himself in a professional manner; not many people like that.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Why does it matter so much if what was said was racist? Like it's the holy grail of verbal abuse.

GeorgieBoy

Why does it matter so much if what was said was racist? Like it's the holy grail of verbal abuse.
Surely you appreciate the difference between being called a 'manc' twat and being called a 'black' twat?

Litch

I'm 100% of the belief that if he was white, things would reported in a different way. Controversial but no different to Pogba. There something very unpalatable for 'some' about successful black young men and money. This is more applicable to those players as there is a perception that they are flash with it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Has any of this apparent racism been aimed at some of our players within the media ?
Pogba.
To be fair, most of our players have given the media plenty to criticise them over so it’s less likely to happen to us. Sterling hasn’t and has been one of the best English players for the last 4 years or so.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I was impressed by reading this take on racism from Raheem. Don’t really know if or should it really explain it all but it was interesting ....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46498849
I'm glad his response is calm. Glad he pointed out the double standards applied to him when he bought his mom a home - it was exactly my thought as well. Coming from their poverty stricken background, of course the lad is proud he's able to give his mom a nice life. Yet the papers mocked him for this.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Surely you appreciate the difference between being called a 'manc' twat and being called a 'black' twat?
I'd care more about the fact that some cnuts are yelling maliciously at my face for no reason. As far as the content of the insult, I could think of worse things.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sterling is easily my favourite non-United player. He gets so much shit but always conducts himself in a professional manner; not many people like that.
As an ex Liverpool player now playing for city, withan infuriating way of balancing and running, not to mention that gun tattoo he's certainly not my favourite

But he's way down any list of players who whip up top level ire

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't mean to take away from your point, as it is just in sentiment, but nurses and doctors working in A & E amongst the drunk morons who spit, attack and abuse them every weekend have it worse.

Just putting it out there because at least Raheem will have the last laugh, those in the aforementioned profession, meanwhile, just get that abuse and clock out, to get it the next day or week along.

matt23

In Sterling's case I think a lot of the unnecessary stick that's flown his way for years was cooked up by Liverpool football club, their supporters and their army of columnists who vilified his decision to not sign a contract with the mighty reds (any of these come out and apologised for questioning his character since?)
Having said that I think he makes a reasonable point and fair play to him, he doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke desperate to shove himself back into some media shit storm over racism if he didn't feel he had a genuine point.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Disgusting behaviour towards him and like others have said previously the hatred that some fans show players for kicking a ball for the opposition team is fecking weird and horrible. Yeah, having a laugh with your mates and saying so and so is a prick is whatever but actively shouting in the face of players with froth flying from your mouth aswell as the racist language is just beyond belief.

Sterling is absolutely correct in his statement too. He has still been getting poor publicity in the press since he called them out last time. I'm really surprised that nothing has changed in the journalistic world when it comes to casual racism/homophobia.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I gave an example of what you alluded to though.
What exactly did you mean then?

What is racist abuse better or worse than? Do you have a scale?
I don't think I alluded to that but ok. I've seen people here and on Twitter suggesting we're jumping the gun with the "racist accusations" and have no proof that what was said was racist, as if it wasn't it takes away from the severity of the deed. I understand the authorities have to take this into account, as the law makes a specific distinction, but I don't think I have to. I know if one of them called me a "black twat" and the other yelled "your mother is a whore", I'd not be pleased if the latter gets it easier.

Cloud7

Has any of this apparent racism been aimed at some of our players within the media ?
Memphis got a fair bit of it when he was here if I remember correctly. There was a bit of fuss made over his flashy personalized car and some other stuff.

OL29

I don't think I alluded to that but ok. I've seen people here and on Twitter suggesting we're jumping the gun with the "racist accusations" and have no proof that what was said was racist, as if it wasn't it takes away from the severity of the deed. I understand the authorities have to take this into account, as the law makes a specific distinction, but I don't think I have to. I know if one of them called me a "black twat" and the other yelled "your mother is a whore", I'd not be pleased if the latter gets it easier.
Why? One's a generic insult, the other one is singling you out on the basis of your heritage, it's much more personal. Have you ever experienced racist abuse?

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Watch the slowed down video below. Two secs in the guy on the far right in the specs clearly calls him an f'in black c.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why? One's a generic insult, the other one is singling you out on the basis of your heritage, it's much more personal. Have you ever experienced racist abuse?
Always loved this type of logic in those discussions. What if I'm not a victim of racist abuse but my love for my family is very important to me? How do you measure if it hurts and insults me less than a racist slur insults somebody of different skin colour?

There shouldn't be place for either. Those people are acting like fecking animals there, the mob mentality allows for it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There’s definitely a media agenda against him and there has been since he signed for City.

Read this thread, it’s ridiculous.