Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

romufc

Lets be honest, why would the club trust someone who at the first instance moves away from his principles?

He came in with this "idea" about football, talked about structure and how bad we were under Ole conceding goals etc...

So where did that all go? We did not play any better under Ralf than we did under Ole, in comparison, Newcastle and Spurs changed their style within those 6 months.

Rangnick was a fraud, he was good at giving lectures but very poor at implementing them.

He gave up the high press in 30 minutes, there is no way anyone can tell me all 25 players could not play his football.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah but the problem was under Rangnick we didn't move to anything. It was 6 months of some of the most insipid, directionless football you will ever see at a top club.
But don't you think that this was actually quite revealing? What you saw was certainly not how Rangnick intends to play football. For some reason this team looked vastly different to any team Rangnick has ever coached.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He spoke to him on the phone.
I mean face to face. Would be silly not to have a proper meeting with him on the squad and what his views were. Whether he wants to take anything with a pinch or salt or not.

romufc

I mean face to face. Would be silly not to have a proper meeting with him on the squad and what his views were. Whether he wants to take anything with a pinch or salt or not.
Why would he want to meet him face to face? He couldn't even organise a football team.

mu4c_20le

This falls perfectly in line with the awkward comments after the Palace game, when we thought it was the club that kept them apart.

Speaking after United suffered their 12th Premier League defeat of the season on Sunday, Rangnick admitted he "didn't know" Ten Hag would be attending the club's final game of the season. Ten Hag has himself since suggested he will be in no hurry to consult the German, who will juggle managerial duties with the Austrian national team and a consultancy role at Old Trafford.

On Monday, Ten Hag revealed: “I analyse by myself. I observe and I speak with a lot of people. But I will draw my own line." When probed on Rangnick's new role at United, the 52-year-old added: “That is for the club”.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
same as the previous. nothing to shout about. Might squeeze a QF here and there but not a real threat
You mean apart from the semi final in the last tournament and being Fifa ranking's #10 ahead of Germany, eh?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why would he want to meet him face to face? He couldn't even organise a football team.
That's a false, ignorant statement though. He's more than capable of organizing football teams as shown in his managerial career outside of the interim stint here.

He is certainly at fault for a lot of the mistakes made, but also had a shit hand and more importantly, an up close view on the attitude and approaches of the squad. The factions and divisions too. It would be pretty daft for any manager to walk into Manchester United and think "yeah, I don't want to have a proper sit down with this guy to hear his thoughts on the set up".

romufc

That's a false, ignorant statement though. He's more than capable of organizing football teams as shown in his managerial career outside of the interim stint here.

He is certainly at fault for a lot of the mistakes made, but also had a shit hand and more importantly, an up close view on the attitude and approaches of the squad. The factions and divisions too. It would be pretty daft for any manager to walk into Manchester United and think "yeah, I don't want to have a proper sit down with this guy to hear his thoughts on the set up".
I have seen plenty of football teams that have had the same issues, divisions, attitude etc, a new manager has come in and made them tight and compact at least.

Eddie Howe come into a relegation Newcastle and had them playing completely different football by the end of the season.

Why would Ten Hag want to sit down with a manager when he knows what he will say "none of them are good enough" when a good coach would get the most out of players.

You telling me that a good coach cannot get Shaw, Maguire, Varane to defend? Or get Sancho, rashford, Ronaldo, bruno to create and score?

We could barely put an attack together under Ralf.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I wish my wife loved me as much as Ralfs fans love him. :lol:

November:

"We need someone like Ralf to come in and coach this lot, the moments of individual brilliance arent enough anymore. Ole is wasting a squad that is capable of getting top 4 and potentially challenging."

"The godfather of geggenpressing is in the house, I think we will easily make 4th and maybe even close the gap on Chelsea"

December/ January:

"Ralf doesn't have the players to implement his system."

February/ March:

"Nobody else could have came in (Even Klopp or Pep) and done anything with this squad, if you can't see the problems in the squad you are a fool. Top 4 was a pipe dream"

April:

"He was never supposed to challenge for top 4 , the whole point of his appointment was to expose the frauds and if you can't see that you are an idiot."

May:

"The posters who are critical of Ralf will be the first ones to criticize ETH when the players throw him under the bus like they have every other manager for 10 years"

June:

"ETH is an idiot/ not very smart/ naive for disregarding Ralfs dossier and will suffer the consequences of his actions!"

*not real quotes

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have seen plenty of football teams that have had the same issues, divisions, attitude etc, a new manager has come in and made them tight and compact at least.

Eddie Howe come into a relegation Newcastle and had them playing completely different football by the end of the season.

Why would Ten Hag want to sit down with a manager when he knows what he will say "none of them are good enough" when a good coach would get the most out of players.

You telling me that a good coach cannot get Shaw, Maguire, Varane to defend? Or get Sancho, rashford, Ronaldo, bruno to create and score?

We could barely put an attack together under Ralf.
Ten Hag wouldn't be chatting to Ralf for tips on how to coach the squad. He'd be hearing about Ralf's own experiences when trying to implement ideas, scoping out which players were and were not up for certain training methods and knowing how the dynamic of the dressing room was.

I'm not talking about transfers here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wish my wife loved me as much as Ralfs fans love him. :lol:

November:

"We need someone like Ralf to come in and coach this lot, the moments of individual brilliance arent enough anymore. Ole is wasting a squad that is capable of getting top 4 and potentially challenging."

"The godfather of geggenpressing is in the house, I think we will easily make 4th and maybe even close the gap on Chelsea"

December/ January:

"Ralf doesn't have the players to implement his system."

February/ March:

"Nobody else could have came in (Even Klopp or Pep) and done anything with this squad, if you can't see the problems in the squad you are a fool. Top 4 was a pipe dream"

April:

"He was never supposed to challenge for top 4 , the whole point of his appointment was to expose the frauds and if you can't see that you are an idiot."

May:

"The posters who are critical of Ralf will be the first ones to criticize ETH when the players throw him under the bus like they have every other manager for 10 years"

June:

"ETH is an idiot/ not very smart/ naive for disregarding Ralfs dossier and will suffer the consequences of his actions!"

*not real quotes
Is that some fan fiction from your diary?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Either way I believe that many in here see Rangnick's stint too negatively, though. Replacing Solskjaer with Rangnick is actually quite a statement. It signals that you move away from old school improvised football and reliance on individual quality. Can't imagine it didn't help to expose the problems of the current squad and which players have problems to a) commit to an exhausting pressing system and b) give up freedom on the pitch to follow tactical instructions that improve the team performance.
A statement of what though? You mentioned yourself that Rangnick and EtH are stylistically at odds with each other. To me it looks completely random to hire someone, who has never coached in England, has never coached a proper top club and last coached a team he didn't build himself from scratch some 10 years ago. And for what? He wasn't laying the foundation for Ten Hag, he missed top 4 by a mile, he probably barely improved a single player's confidence. He missed every conceivable short term objective in exchange for "something something show who doesn't press", like that doesn't also depend on motivation, coaching and like it's something that analysts can't suss out without wrecking the club for half a year.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Too much drama about no meeting with ETH: professional clubs for a long time usually have a Football Department that collects and gathers all necessary data he needs to know about current players, opposition, scouting, etc.

The "talking" would be an extra input, not really necessary.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A statement of what though? You mentioned yourself that Rangnick and EtH are stylistically at odds with each other. To me it looks completely random to hire someone, who has never coached in England, has never coached a proper top club and last coached a team he didn't build himself from scratch some 10 years ago. And for what? He wasn't laying the foundation for Ten Hag, he missed top 4 by a mile, he probably barely improved a single player's confidence. He missed every conceivable short term objective in exchange for "something something show who doesn't press", like that doesn't also depend on motivation, coaching and like it's something that analysts can't suss out without wrecking the club for half a year.
If you're serious with your good resolutions, you practice them right away and don't wait for New Year to pretend doing so for a few weeks. Rangnick wasn't just a new manager, his appointment signalled a change of culture. An idealist who looks past results and understands that it is your playing style and cohesiveness that defines your ceiling. By any means, United should've installed this philosophy a few years ago so it's better they do it right away than wait another year - and risk running into another "he did well, he deserves a chance" loop.

A club that is willing to waste 80m on Harry Maguire can do withouth UCL for a year or two. But a club that is willing to spend 80m on Harry Maguire shouldn't even wait a week to initiate a change of culture and finally modernize itself.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This nicely timed brief from the club puts the departure of rangnick on ten hag when its not his brief to hire or sack employees, secondly it puts the anti and pro rangnick fans at each others throats whilst the glazers take out millions from the club while penny pinching during transfers after a horrendous season.

This is exactly what the club ie glazers want.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol:

Too right! Why should he listen to a clown who pretty much brought the team to its knees. Ten Hag wasn't buying any of the BS that the Rangnites have been lapping up for months.

Great move, Erik. Well done. You have my respect. :D

Stacks

You mean apart from the semi final in the last tournament and being Fifa ranking's #10 ahead of Germany, eh?
Wales got to the semis of a Euros once. Denmark got through their Euro group with 1 win and 2 losses in a group with Russia and Finland so were like the "least trash" loser. They then beat the great Wales and mighty Czech republic before being humbled by England. Germany are trash also.

stevoc

But don't you think that this was actually quite revealing? What you saw was certainly not how Rangnick intends to play football. For some reason this team looked vastly different to any team Rangnick has ever coached.
Yeah about Rangnick as much as the squad.

However bad the squad was the guy leading them was out of his depth. And didn't seem to have a plan B once he couldn't or wouldn't implement plan A.

stevoc

On the phone or face to face what's the difference?

Going off Ten Hag's reaction in the press conference to the same question about meeting Ralf. Erik didn't have much interest in following whatever plan Rangnick seemed to be cooking up.

Plus what's he going to tell ETH that he hasn't already been telling anyone who would listen in press conferences for the last 6 months.

stevoc

Ralf's reign in a Nutshell.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If you're serious with your good resolutions, you practice them right away and don't wait for New Year to pretend doing so for a few weeks. Rangnick wasn't just a new manager, his appointment signalled a change of culture. An idealist who looks past results and understands that it is your playing style and cohesiveness that defines your ceiling. By any means, United should've installed this philosophy a few years ago so it's better they do it right away than wait another year - and risk running into another "he did well, he deserves a chance" loop.

A club that is willing to waste 80m on Harry Maguire can do withouth UCL for a year or two. But a club that is willing to spend 80m on Harry Maguire shouldn't even wait a week to initiate a change of culture and finally modernize itself.
Hiring someone for a 6 month interim role, because he's got a philosophy and a playing style, but not at all the one you actually want to play in the mid term is not methodical management in my book. It sounds almost as random as going from Moyes to van Gaal to Mourinho. It sounds batshit crazy to me actually. What's Rangnick's legacy, that made writing off the season worth it? All I'm seeing are vague buzzwords/-phrases (you don't need to appoint Rangnick to "signal" a change in culture, you just need to have one) and EtH certainly doesn't appear to value his work or opinion at all and somehow I have a feeling he'd rather be playing in the CL next year.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Wales got to the semis of a Euros once. Denmark got through their Euro group with 1 win and 2 losses in a group with Russia and Finland so were like the "least trash" loser. They then beat the great Wales and mighty Czech republic before being humbled by England. Germany are trash also.
That doesn’t change the fact that you chose to omit it.

I’m not even arguing that they are anything more than a solid team, I just don’t like it when folks create a narrative that suits their point.

Stacks

That doesn’t change the fact that you chose to omit it.

I’m not even arguing that they are anything more than a solid team, I just don’t like it when folks create a narrative that suits their point.
I didn't think it mattered. I didn't value their performance and thought it mediocre and thus they are still a mediocre team in my book. 3 losses and 3 wins. My opinion remains Denmark are nothing special

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I bet one of the stipulations by ETH is that he would not report to Rangnick if he was to take up the United role. And maybe Rangnick's original consultation remit was to oversee the recruitment part of Murtough's department. So ETH gave it a requirement that he has the final say-so on all 1st team transfers.
I guess ETH saw that his philosophy is too big a gap to bridge with Rangnick's.

Lyng

You don't think what happened to Eriksen had anything to do with that one loss?
Also, humbled by England????
You where at home and still needed a dodgy penalty to win.

Nash27

If ETH feels he does not need RR around and wants more control over certain things, then he should be fully given the freedom to do so. ETH is our manager and should be given as much power as possible over anything related to the footballing aspect of the club.

devips

My hopes from Ten Hag have gone up ten fold, with this one act.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Ralf Rangnick ‘repeatedly told Man Utd to flog Cristiano Ronaldo just five months after his sensational transfer return’

“On more than one occasion Rangnick proposed to football director John Murtough and chief executive officer Richard Arnold that Ronaldo be sold, and replaced, during the January transfer window.

“Rangnick felt that as Ronaldo’s time at United was uncertain beyond the end of the season, it made sense to act sooner rather than later to reconfigure the side’s attack.

“Additionally, Rangnick believed Ronaldo did not represent United’s long-term success and that recruiting a player more suited to his high-pressing style might produce immediate dividends for the second half of the campaign. Murtough and Arnold resisted.”

Now Ronaldo, who has been granted more time off in pre-season despite the rest of the squad returning to Carrington today, has shocked the football world by asking for a transfer himself.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19081875/man-utd-ralf-rangnick-cristiano-ronaldo-transfer/

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Rangnick wasn't just a new manager, his appointment signalled a change of culture. An idealist who looks past results.
Ralf said they hired him because they were leaking goals and his job was to prevent that so that they could push for top 4.

Real Name

Ralf Rangnick ‘repeatedly told Man Utd to flog Cristiano Ronaldo just five months after his sensational transfer return’

“On more than one occasion Rangnick proposed to football director John Murtough and chief executive officer Richard Arnold that Ronaldo be sold, and replaced, during the January transfer window.

“Rangnick felt that as Ronaldo’s time at United was uncertain beyond the end of the season, it made sense to act sooner rather than later to reconfigure the side’s attack.

“Additionally, Rangnick believed Ronaldo did not represent United’s long-term success and that recruiting a player more suited to his high-pressing style might produce immediate dividends for the second half of the campaign. Murtough and Arnold resisted.”

Now Ronaldo, who has been granted more time off in pre-season despite the rest of the squad returning to Carrington today, has shocked the football world by asking for a transfer himself.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19081875/man-utd-ralf-rangnick-cristiano-ronaldo-transfer/
Is this Ragnick trying to portray himself better.
All pointing and blaming, not taking responsibility for anything.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which he didn’t achieve at all and if anything, he just destroyed out attacking outlets.

fecking horrible appointment in the end.
Destroyed our attacking outlets? They were poor before he arrived bar Ronaldo and Greenwood and we know what happened to Greenwood.

flappyjay

Had he left in Jan we would have finished in the bottom 10:lol:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Which he didn’t achieve at all and if anything, he just destroyed out attacking outlets.

fecking horrible appointment in the end.
The thing with Rangnick is, if you hire him you need to give him the full authority to change the team to his ideas. Only then he will be successful (and always has been).

Man United, understandably, didn't let an interim coach to do so. However, then they should never have hired him in the first place.

The outcome was very predictable.