Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

Kostov

How are those realistic. You really think given the choice us or Liverpool Luis Diaz would have come for instance?
I wont even go to Haaland teritory. If he didnt mention him I might take that as serious maybe.
I stand by my point he's full of shit.
We do need a striker but January might be tricky, we might, should get a stop gap solution in any case and move for a permanent striker in the summer.
In these previous 10 years we have demonstrated that we can lure anyone to join if we throw enough money at them. Same thing happened with Casemiro this summer or you think he joined because he dreamed of playing in the EL?

Yes I think we could have given Liverpool a run for their money, but Diaz is not even that big of a loss considering that we got Antony and he seems to develop nicely. But Vlahovic imo was very stupid of us to not move rocks and mountains to try and bring him in. And again you are missing my point, we brought nobody while we needed reinforcements and that is my biggest issue.

January is always tricky so is July and August as we showed this summer leaving it do the dead end and paying over the odds on every transfer. The reality is that we need a striker and we can either rely on Martial and Ronaldo, or we can go and buy a striker, like Juventus did last winter.

Real Name

In these previous 10 years we have demonstrated that we can lure anyone to join if we throw enough money at them. Same thing happened with Casemiro this summer or you think he joined because he dreamed of playing in the EL?

Yes I think we could have given Liverpool a run for their money, but Diaz is not even that big of a loss considering that we got Antony and he seems to develop nicely. But Vlahovic imo was very stupid of us to not move rocks and mountains to try and bring him in. And again you are missing my point, we brought nobody while we needed reinforcements and that is my biggest issue.

January is always tricky so is July and August as we showed this summer leaving it do the dead end and paying over the odds on every transfer. The reality is that we need a striker and we can either rely on Martial and Ronaldo, or we can go and buy a striker, like Juventus did last winter.
All right, whatever Ragnick is saying now it must be true despite saying completely different things in January.
And I agreed already we need reinforcements. July is tricky but January is trickier.
Vlahović only wanted Juventus as tweets above show.

devips

More annoying than Ralf is his rabid United fans.

But Ralf did one thing very well: press conferences!

IhabX7

Not even that. The proxy masochistic pleasure derived from an outsider tearing into the club and its players in public, is not for me.

The way this guy took most of our online fanbase, including the YouTube fan channels, for a ride was really eye opening.

mu4c_20le

No one else wanted him, we had a free run.

Sylar

His press conferences were only acceptable because of our bad losses under Ole and then him. We were pissed at how it seemed the players just gave up so a manager having a go is accepted by the fans.

Accepted at the time but did united overall no favours in terms of selling nor buying. And then it makes sense Eth wanted him gone because imagine keeping the guy around?

Robbie Boy

Not saying he was fully to blame for it because he clearly wasn't but the 6 months Rangnick was manager is probably the lowest period of supporting Utd in my lifetime.

Horrible results and even worse performances. Absolutely miserable.
At least we had that awesome half hour against Palace!

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Not saying he was fully to blame for it because he clearly wasn't but the 6 months Rangnick was manager is probably the lowest period of supporting Utd in my lifetime.

Horrible results and even worse performances. Absolutely miserable.
Personally, I have never before felt as disconnected from United as I did under Rangnick. Under previous managers, even when I knew we were on the highway to nowhere, I never ever switched off completely as I did during RR's time. It was just a void of nothingness to me. EtH was absolutely right to reject any advisory or consultancy role for him. I'm surprised this list has practically no unexpected name on it. Most of the names on his list are names most United fans could pick to improve the squad.

Amarsdd

Personally, I have never before felt as disconnected from United as I did under Rangnick. Under previous managers, even when I knew we were on the highway to nowhere, I never ever switched off completely as I did during RR's time. It was just a void of nothingness to me. EtH was absolutely right to reject any advisory or consultancy role for him. I'm surprised this list has practically no unexpected name on it. Most of the names on his list are names most United fans could pick to improve the squad.
Pretty much. First time in my time supporting United, I actively expected us to lose every game after a couple of months under Ragnick. Even during very bad periods under Jose or Ole, I never never thought that.

romufc

Not even that. The proxy masochistic pleasure derived from an outsider tearing into the club and its players in public, is not for me.

The way this guy took most of our online fanbase, including the YouTube fan channels, for a ride was really eye opening.
The reason why people think he done well in pressers is because he spoke about football, how its meant to be played, what you are meant to do, how a club is to be run.

He did not speak about his dire performances, crap coaching or anything.

Fans got excited because he was saying things against the club and previous regime.

Steve 007

I think people are slightly deluded if you think that either Haaland or Nunez would choose us over City and Pool with what both clubs have done in the last few seasons, compared with the performances from us. Some on here are saying we could have thrown money at it. Have you seen what City are paying him?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I try to like him but he has to be talking bull, a blind kid with a surface level knowledge-based of scouting could give you those names, for a guy that suppose specializes in low cost high potential targets that's a supremely pathetic line up, also it doesn't address our biggest weakness at the time which was midfield and his apparent target Zakaria has flopped badly.

It becomes more and more abundant clearly he was unsuited for the job, perhaps ten hag had his reasons to dismiss him.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just don't understand why so many good sucked in... The things that mattered (football, team spirit, tactics, training, recruitment etc) were all bad under him.

frostbite

-- Ralf: I told the management we should buy Haaland in January, before City moved for him.

-- Thousands of consultants, everywhere: Ahhhh, yes Ralf, you are one of us!

criticalanalysis

He was our best presser.

Bad manager wholly unsuited for the role and overall a bad appointment. I guess the 'silver' lining is that he didn't paper over the cracks and that gave ETH bit of a leeway in and the board the impetus to invest as we have so far.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
I think the case with Utd is that it's still a "dream" club. They could throw that all away if things don't work out again, but even though I'm not a complete outsider, United is still one of those big clubs that would be awesome to join without thinking of the money. If they drop off for even longer, things will eventually turn around, but now it's still the club "to bring back where they're supposed to be" and you (i.e. Casemiro, hopefully Frenkie) could be the one to do that. In another thread someone said no one would pick United over PSG, Bayern or Real if they all offered the same contract, but that's simply not true. Of course the others have the favor slightly in terms of people who are desparate to join a side that's about to win the CL this season or the next, but the whole mix of not having to give up your luxurious lifestyle is enough financial incentive for many players who are still a fan to some capacity. United won't get you broke, but it's not like all players joined because of money money money.

This season is a bad example, but it's clear many players would still pick United over a club like Atleti, Arsenal and Spurs, and I wouldn't be surprised if many would still opt it over PSG. City and Pool have that whole combination of success + the manager that's either a tactical genius or a father figure going on, which is hard to beat. But if ETH gets things going (especially with people's memories of his CL-Ajax still rather fresh in mind) and Pep leaves at the end of the season, the choice between United and Liverpool would become much more difficult. I don't know about Arsenal and Chelsea's attraction levels, but somehow they still seem to be of lower attraction than the other top 5-6 clubs, but maybe that's just other bias of mine, but a much more successful Chelsea wasn't necessarily the favorite side to win the Frenkie bookies...

Thank you for coming to my jibber-jabber, enjoy the game tonight. And please excuse my lack of Ralf talk. If it helps, I did mention him in the Pogba thread, though. :nono:

He was our best presser.
gegenpress? more like gegenboard-and-much-of-his-squad-members, am I right?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I just don't understand why so many good sucked in... The things that mattered (football, team spirit, tactics, training, recruitment etc) were all bad under him.
Because the guy was great at PR for starters. Also, he fed into the online fanbase's rabid dislike of the players and the board which deflected from his poor performances. It got to the point where fans were denying basic facts about man management in order to defend him.

I mean, ETH has shown we did not need to jettison 10 players and sign 10 more like Rangnick said. He's managed to get players that most of Rangnick's fanboys said were too stupid to play pressing football, slowly but surely able to play it. He's barely made any massive changes personnel wise, and on paper has a weaker squad, but is getting BETTER results. Thank god ETH told him to feck off. But then again, Rangnick shouldn't have gotten the Austria job if he wanted to be our consultant. What a fraud.

stevoc

Surely we can move on from all this Ralf nonsense. He didn't walk into an ideal situation but he was the worst United manager for half a century, he'd have been a decent DOF but he was never hired for that role.

ETH has signed well this summer and we look like we're on the right track so I think people can stop pining for Ralf now.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Because the guy was great at PR for starters. Also, he fed into the online fanbase's rabid dislike of the players and the board which deflected from his poor performances. It got to the point where fans were denying basic facts about man management in order to defend him.

I mean, ETH has shown we did not need to jettison 10 players and sign 10 more like Rangnick said. He's managed to get players that most of Rangnick's fanboys said were too stupid to play pressing football, slowly but surely able to play it. He's barely made any massive changes personnel wise, and on paper has a weaker squad, but is getting BETTER results. Thank god ETH told him to feck off. But then again, Rangnick shouldn't have gotten the Austria job if he wanted to be our consultant. What a fraud.
Didn't he spend close to a quarter of a billion?

Stadjer

Not only that but ETH changed the whole spine of the team too. Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez and Varane instead of McT, Fred (who played well during Ralf his period tbf), Lindelof and Maguire. I would call that a big change in personnel.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Money spent does not equal the amount of players that have come in. ETH didn't purge the squad and creat a whole new team like Rangnick wanted.

cyberman

Not only that but ETH changed the whole spine of the team too. Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez and Varane instead of McT, Fred (who played well during Ralf his period tbf), Lindelof and Maguire. I would call that a big change in personnel.
Varane?
The man is playing possession football with DDG in the side, that goes against literally everything posted by a United fan for the last 2 years

Sylar

The one thing about this though is this might end up being true.
We signed:
Anthony,
Martinez,
Eriksen,
Malacia,
Casemiro
Dubravka

Thats six signings (5 and a loan)
So on the basis that to really compete we need a GK, RB and Striker thats 3 more signings (so 9 just there)

In terms of selling players gone the following is from the first team squad:
Cavani
pogba
Mata,
Pereira,
Lingard,
Telles and Bailly both went out on loan and will probably end up being sold.
Chong and grant questionable if they count. If we dont count these two thats:

6 in, 7 out and 3 more required to come in with talks of getting rid of Jones/Bailly (both or one of them for sure). And we will see what happens with Henderson.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Money spent does not equal the amount of players that have come in. ETH didn't purge the squad and creat a whole new team like Rangnick wanted.
No, he "only" signed four new key players with Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Antony in his first window and tried to replace a fifth starter with Malacia as well. Which essentially means half the team at the first possible occasion.

Strootman's Finger

This period is over, time to move on. But United players downed tools before Rangnick ever picked up a whistle. You don't even need to be a football fan to absolve Rangnick of most of the guilt from last season.

And when ETH is done with this squad, he'll have turned over far more than 10 players, easily. Rangnick just made the mistake of saying it needed to be done all at once, which scared the Glazers and their precious checkbook.

stevoc

Yep, Erik has shown that all most of these players needed was a good coach that understands man management.

stevoc

We signed:
Anthony,
Martinez,
Eriksen,
Malacia,
Casemiro
Dubravka

So on the basis that to really compete we need a GK, RB and Striker thats 3 more signings (so 9 just there)

Cavani
pogba
Mata,
Pereira,
Lingard,

6 in, 7 out and 3 more required to come in with talks of getting rid of Jones/Bailly (both or one of them for sure). And we will see what happens with Henderson.
Dubravka?

Somehow I doubt Rangnick had a reserve keeper in mind when he claimed this team needed open heart surgery and 10 new players.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The virtriol directed at Rangnick is a ridiculous.

When he came here and said United need "open heart surgery" the majority agreed.

Just like Jose and Ole before him, the players downed tools/werent good enough.

The man is highly respected amongst some top coaches yet some armchair footie fan on here is trying to convince us he's a "fraud"?

Madness.

tbtt

WUM
RR said, "If you analyse the situation, it's not that difficult to analyse, the team needs a rebuild, not because some players have to go, but quite a few players have no contracts any more, the contracts are expiring, and therefore for me it's clear that there will be, I don't know, six, seven, eight, maybe ten new players. And then before you sign those players, you need to be aware how do you want to play, what kind of football does the new manager want to play, and then take it from there, and then bring every single player fitting into that kind of profile."

What's a difference between what RR said and what EtH has done? RR's record is bad, but criticizing him with the out of context "ten players" quote is ridiculous.

Marwood

He's basically changed half of it in one summer.

You think he won't buy more players in Jan if given the chance?

Kag

We signed:
Anthony,
Martinez,
Eriksen,
Malacia,
Casemiro
Dubravka

Cavani
pogba
Mata,
Pereira,
Lingard,

Rangnick was absolutely correct when he said we needed up to ten new players. I’m ambivalent towards him, but the squad Ten Hag inherited was badly in need of some quality.

As you say, we’ve signed five so far. We need at least another two or three to be truly competitive.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Rangnick made a statement that was true but somewhat trivial: players would be leaving (mostly because they were old and out of contract) and new players would have to come in. He gave a very broad range of players that could come in. The upper boundary was then used by people who had their own argument/agenda: that United's squad should be torn apart and rebuilt entirely.

We can look at this old thread titled "how many players will leave this summer?" The general expectation was that more senior players under contract would leave. Martial, Ronaldo, AWB, VDB.

DevilRed

Ronaldo wasn't wrong about Ralf though.

A nobody who was never a coach to begin with. How he got the job, even on an interim basis, is beyond me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ronaldo wasn't wrong about Ralf though.

A nobody who was never a coach to begin with. How he got the job, even on an interim basis, is beyond me.
Hardly a nobody, managers like Klopp and Tuchel were full of praise for him and he was regarded as a pioneer of gegenpressing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Only problem is he was a sporting director not a coach/manager.
He was a manager for a long time. Perhaps not that famous outside of Germany but hardly a nobody.

A lot of top English managers are probably nobodies in Germany.