Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Gegenpressing, pressing etc, is it not just work-rate repackaged ?

Or more simple "harass them, as my Dad would have said".
It is a new product. Your dad didn’t have Kontrol. Tikka-taka mixed with synchronized swimming. Looks easy. Add in strategic fouling. Hefty dose of salt and pepper. Put on Metallica. Always speak with a Rhineland accent. Seriously though I love his story of playing some early Russian exponent. I thought they had extra players!

sergiosigurvinson

I hope I am wrong, but I think that some of the players (f.i. Pogba,...) will have serious problems to adapt themselves all the time at the new tactics.1 game, 2 games,...allright but constantly? Being unselfish most of the time needs another state of mind.

Hoof the ball

Nope.

The mistake most make when referring to pressing in general is focusing on the running or harrassing aspect of it and not the organisational aspect of it, which of course, is mostly what makes it work so well.

For eg. having a work-ethic doesn't show a group of players what a pressing trigger is. It doesn't instruct on how, when and where a specific group of players are to press at any given time. It doesn't account for positioning relative to the opposition. It doesn't organise pressures according to waves. Pressing is an intelligent system.

Organisation is why it seems like a team can run all game off the ball. The truth is, when players are well positioned, well organised, the distance to the pressing target is minimised as to increase its efficiency and preserve energy.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I feel too much is being made of 'pressing' and people are not giving enough thought to the actual style of play whilst in possession. Pressing is something that will help recover the ball with a view to transitioning play quickly, with quick, rapid passes vertically through the lines to create goal scoring opportunities. The counter press (gegenpress) is something that is utilised to win the ball back quickly after losing it to then resume the offensive transition with the aforementioned principles.

Rangnick said in his presser about wanting to control the game both offensively and defensively, and from my understanding of that is he's gonna attempt to get us playing in a higher defensive line both on and off the ball. Maintaining a higher line without the ball will open up the possibility of the team applying coordinated pressures in due course, so the first step is to control space by maintaining a high-line in a compact block, which is what I believe Rangnick refers to when he talks about playing proactive football. And once that is drilled into the players, applying pressures in a sequence will be a little easier to instil into the team.

dinostar77

Rangnick needs a preseason to get the players drilled to his method. With a game every 3 days at present, theres only so much you can do. I guess his main focus initially will be to sort out a defence that leaks too many goals. But as we all know, your defence is only as good as what is in front of it.

Personally if it goes well between now and next summer I think he will end up as permanent manager.

The United

As many said, his impact might be minimal for this season.

I am though hoping that we will try to play in the opponent's half more this season. The likes of VDB etc might be more useful with that.

Dante

Average bang

Yep. It's just what the English used to call 'passion' and 'tempo' in the 70s and 80s when the likes of Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa were winning European Cups.

LINK

European football has simply done a better job of exoticising football terminology. They've invented words like trequartista or tiki taka or catenaccio to describe tactics that have existed for decades.

Dante

Average bang

I am though hoping that we will try to play in the opponent's half more this season. The likes of VDB etc might be more useful with that.
I believe Rangnick himself has said he usually needs 8 weeks to get his ideas across to a new team. But it'll probably take longer here given the busy Christmas schedule in England and hardly any training sessions between matches.

If we're lucky, we'll be playing Ralf-ball by February. Just have to hope the new manager bounce can carry us through until then.

RedCurry

His impact can be minimal and still make a huge difference to us. If he can just get us playing our football 15 yards further up the pitch it would make a world of difference. I mean, what are players like Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho supposed to do with the ball near the centre circle? Get these players 10 yards from the opposition’s box and they are always completely different footballers.

His impact can be minimal and still make a huge difference to us. If he can just get us playing our football 15 yards further up the pitch it would make a world of difference. I mean, what are players like Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho supposed to do with the ball near the centre circle? Get these players 10 yards from the opposition’s box and they are always completely different footballers.
Surely DDG is gonna make way if we’re moving the team that high up the pitch? Unless of course Ralfy can teach him to sweeper keep so late in his career.

The United

That's what I am hoping for this season.

Toblerone92

We need to develop a midfield capable of controlling the central third of the pitch and playing further forward so our front men are at least in a dangerous position when they receive the ball. I can't bear watching Ronaldo et al. dropping to nearly the halfway line.

The United

He said a lot of stuff. Let's see if he can execute them well.

We have a lot of 'false dawns' in the past with all these managers.

I am lowering my expectations for now. But even with that, I am hoping the team performance should improve a lot as it can't go any lower.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Some of his stuff are straight from captain obvious memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.