Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
And it's all BS when you can't beat the 3 worst teams in the league and god knows who else nevermind City who are actually very good.

Our win ratio under him is now 44%. Ole left with 54% across the 3 seasons. Improvement???

So let's put this to bed now. He's improved very little. Our fixture run until today has been incredibly kind to him and he's still not got results.

Thankfully he's now out of the running for the FT job after today.
This is the sort of logic that had some Liverpool fans calling for Klopp out at one point. No I'm not saying Ralf's our Klopp, he certainly isn't. But the improvements are there, its just not clicking on all fronts. Plus our squad just can't play the way he wants and/or doesn't want to.

Plus the fact you bloody love Ole.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Agreed but he made some weird decisions to let donny and martial leave, we could really use them at the moment.
He has basically said they were unhappy at not playing and that was an issue in the dressing room.

Anyone who excuses the players because the manager is interim is mad. The club is not interim, or the fans. Or the game ffs. I used to get into arguments as a kid with people who didn't bust a gut. Rooney and Keane would leave marks on people in a charity match ffs.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
RR seems to know what he is talking about. What actually happened on the pitch is very different.
I think it would be better if he goes upstairs and get a new coach. Some of them need to go. We need a complete overhaul. From the DOF to the coaches.
A new DOF? What on earth has Murtough done to deserve to lose his job??!?!

Superden

He’s certainly partly to blame. To say otherwise is deluded. Struggling to see what he’s done besides talk a very good game.
The lineup and formation today was actually quite good...as shown by the way the equaliser was scored. The fact that players downed tools second half is not his fault. He can only take 3 off...and that was the weakest bench we've seen for ages.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And it's all BS when you can't beat the 3 worst teams in the league and god knows who else nevermind City who are actually very good.

Our win ratio under him is now 44%. Ole left with 54% across the 3 seasons. Improvement???

So let's put this to bed now. He's improved very little. Our fixture run until today has been incredibly kind to him and he's still not got results.

Thankfully he's now out of the running for the FT job after today.
As I told you in another thread, that’s a pointless comparison. Because it’s this season’s squad of players that both managers have struggled with. Ole struggling the more of the two (which is damning when you consider he at least had Greenwood available for selection)

Anyway. You already know all of this, when @Regulus Arcturus Black completely dismantled your win % argument in another thread. So why are you still banging that drum? It just makes you look stupid. We have improved under Rangnick from the depths we plumbed under Ole. That’s a cold hard fact, no matter how much you try to make it go away.

The only question is have we improved enough? And should he be allowed to do what every other manager (including Ole) does when they want to improve a team. Spend some money.

mu4c_20le

The lineup and formation today was actually quite good...as shown by the way the equaliser was scored. The fact that players downed tools second half is not his fault. He can only take 3 off...and that was the weakest bench we've seen for ages.
Ridiculous take.

led_scholes

Funny you say that.

Ole F14, A11 and Ralf F10, A11 after today. Ole is 3 points and 4 goals better off from the exact same fixtures.

One manager was crucified (rightly so) and lost his job for it, the other is being is being hailed as the best thing since slice bread. The double standards here are pretty damning.
Well, if you look just as results purely then Ole is better. But, if you factor the way we drew Wolves under Ole Vs the way we lost under RR, the way Newcastle and Villa have transformed and improved, then you will have a better picture. That was our problem. We saw Ole getting second, without factoring what was happening around and people were content, and look how it ended.

I don't think RR is been hailed as the best thing since slice bread by anyone . On contrary, Ole was.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He doesn't stand a chance under current conditions.

They know he's a stand-in, the mentality issue can't be fixed within the timeframe he's been given, they don't appear to be fit enough to play the way he wants, he (understandably) hasn't been able to bring any players in.

I could go on.

MUFC OK

Agreed and that was a disgrace, there’s clearly a crisis of confidence and once we’re down we don’t get back up. Tbf even Ole had us winning from behind frequently, albeit in empty stadiums.

Roboc7

We brought in an interim who wants his players to play completely differently on and off the ball to Ole and Jose. Ole was similar to Jose in terms of tactics, RR is nothing like Ole. The only real value to RR is if it’s the first step towards changing how we play, type of players we recruit and retain etc etc.

This club is such a joke I have no idea what will happen but club is run by incompetent cowards so I can see RR being dumped completely at end of the season to absolve themselves of blame.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Because for one it was the culmination of years of patience shown to him, for the other it's a temporary job starting at a point when the season had already imploded. It's only double standards if they're like-for-like situations.
I don't think Ralf should be crucified but this polishing of turd that has been going on under him has been way over the top. Never seen this many excuses for so many rubbish results.

city-puma

If considering the results only, it has been shown let go ole is really bad decision. Cause Ralf won’t be the next full time manager. His change to our play is probably not mattering at all.
This is a season to write off. Let’s see what’s next.

hobbers

Rangnick has improved us across the board from the first few months under Ole, that is undeniable and obvious. It's also not Rangnick's fault Ronaldo and Bruno missed about a dozen glaring chances in those games vs Southampton, Watford, Newcastle etc.

But he isn't good enough to be a permanent manager of a club this size. Nothing he did in these 5 months should have ever changed anyone's opinions on that. He's a stop-gap just like Ole was supposed to be. But apparently some people never learn.

Either he does well and people want him given a 3 year contract. Or he does badly and people think we should never have sacked Ole. If you're in either of these groups you are completely clueless.

MinGin

Rate him when at least he has a half of squad he wanted.
But the board let him down to loan out the players and no interest to add some power house into the team.
His tactic is great but the players who get huge money can only perform it in half of full match.

Longshanks

I’d say he’s been successful in showing us exactly what this team really are, and instead of pretending they’re good enough to win things we’ve seen that they’re only self interested and will only play for a weak manager who tells them they’re great and it’s not their fault we keep losing.

Rangnick isn’t the right man for a 6 months stint, he needs two seasons to implement something, Klopp and Pep would have been equally shit as interims with no more than 6 months in charge. I’m not even saying Rangnick is the right man to take United forward, I’m saying that if anyone thinks these results are on anything but the players they need a serious fecking wake up call.

Do you really think he told the players to give up at 3-1 today? Did he tell Maguire to step over a ball? Did he tell McTomminay to not bother closing a player down? Maybe he told Elanga to carelessly give the ball away or Lindelöf to miss time his header completely?

The lunatics are running the asylum and all Ralf has done is show us this, and that’s why they’ve downed tools and don’t even care about the pay cuts they’re about to receive for finishing 5th.
His job was to come on and get some results and steady the ship, we haven't got the result nor have we really had the performances, the odd 20 minutes here and there isn't enough.

He isnt getting a tune out of these players, that was his job, those were the tools he had to work with and he needs to get something out of them, loosing to a very good city side isnt the crux of the problem its what has come before aswell as todays horror show.

Judas

Open to offers
If considering the results only, it has been shown let go ole is really bad decision. Cause Ralf won’t be the next full time manager. His change to our play is probably not mattering at all.
This is a season to write off. Let’s see what’s next.
:wenger: I just am baffled. I love how some still think we should have....stuck with Ole? This season is rotting peoples minds I swear.

thedvil

Funny you say that.

Ole F14, A11 and Ralf F10, A11 after today. Ole is 3 points and 4 goals better off from the exact same fixtures.

One manager was crucified (rightly so) and lost his job for it, the other is being is being hailed as the best thing since slice bread. The double standards here are pretty damning.
Funny you say that.

That's out of context, one had 3 years to buy the players he wanted and coach them the way he wanted and to other is an interim manager who is gone at the end of the season.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It’s unbelievable that some of you still believe the managers are the problem. How many times does this squad of bluffers need to slap you across the face for you right to realize they’re rotten. FFS.
It's strange. How can you look at what happened and arrive at that conclusion?
You've bought loads of players, every season: top players, top talents, famous players, more unknown players, experienced winners, hotly tipped youngsters, megastars and humble, decent quality players. Every summer players come in.
Yet literally the one thing you haven't tried in almost ten years is .. hire a top manager in his prime.

Of course the managers are the problem (Rangnick, as an interim, the least, this is not on him). Of course the player are not it.
Just fecking hire a top manager, if you want to be a top team. You are a top club, you need a top manager. Simples. No need to agonize any further than that, you just have to wait until summer.

At least fecking try hiring a top manager once before you declare dozens of players "rotten".

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is the sort of logic that had some Liverpool fans calling for Klopp out at one point. No I'm not saying Ralf's our Klopp, he certainly isn't. But the improvements are there, its just not clicking on all fronts. Plus our squad just can't play the way he wants and/or doesn't want to.

Plus the fact you bloody love Ole.
I do love Ole. He gave me so many good memories as a Utd fan. I was there in the Nou Camp to witness history. Why the heck wouldn't I love him?

This love in for Ralf is bizarre. Not been a manager for 9 years, not done anything of real note even when he was and was the sporting director of Locomotive Moscow.

Is this good enough?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He doesn't change tactics or strategies quick enough in-game; everyone could see the clear tactical plan to overload AWB and work inlets from that flank, yet Rangnick just let him get roasted with no variance or serious attempts to arrest that development.

Yes, AWB was dire, but that doesn't alter the point: he shouldn't have been left high and dry like that for such a prolonged period of time.

lsd

The Oracle
How can anyone blame manager in this case? You have gone from blaming Solskajer to blaming Rangnick. Just blame the manager. Don't blame those "stars and heros" who are adored by kids who are starstrucked by them.

Blame should be put where it belongs. Players.

I don't think people are ignoring the players but I do think by this stage he might have improved the fitness of the players.

We all knew what he was going to try and make us do the second he came and we are still unable to play a pressing style more than one half.

Bocca9978

When the game was stopped due to an incident in the crowd in the first half, was anyone else annoyed that while Pep was speaking to nearly every member of his team, RR didn’t really say a word to anyone?

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Fergie wouldn't be able to motivate this squad to even have the most basic winning desire nevermind win the league. He would have to purge half of them first.

city-puma

:wenger: I just am baffled. I love how some still think we should have....stuck with Ole? This season is rotting peoples minds I swear.
As the whole things turned out, it’s not hard to realize it. Our core players had their forms picked up around the new year. We still got so many draws. If you still think Ralf is a good appointment for the short term fix, I am speechless.

Judas

Open to offers
As the whole things turned out, it’s not hard to realize it. Our core players had their forms picked up around the new year. We still got so many draws. If you still think Ralf is a good appointment for the short term fix, I am speechless.
Ralf makes so much more sense than sticking Ole, bizarre to be having this debate.

flappyjay

It's strange. How can you look at what happened and arrive at that conclusion?
You've bought loads of players, every season: top players, top talents, famous players, more unknown players, experienced winners, hotly tipped youngsters, megastars and humble, decent quality players. Every summer players come in.
Yet literally the one thing you haven't tried in almost ten years is .. hire a top manager in his prime.

Of course the managers are the problem (Rangnick, as an interim, the least, this is not on him). Of course the player are not it.
Just fecking hire a top manager, if you want to be a top team. You are a top club, you need a top manager. Simples. No need to agonize any further than that, you just have to wait until summer.

At least fecking try hiring a top manager once before you declare dozens of players "rotten".
You don't get it, they love to hate the players at Manchester United. It's a cycle praise the new mananger, buy him players turns out his a turd and then sack manager then blame players. I said it too a few weeks ago we haven't had an elite manager since Sir Alex left.

HairyBack23

The man won the league playing Rafael, Park, and O'Shea in central midfield, of course I believe that.

Park was quality and O'Shea/Rafael barely played any PL games in midfield during their careers. Strange reason to think Fergie could win the league with our current squad.

peridigm

There is a reason he's not managed a top tier club. However, it was smart to appoint him as there is zero chance he will manage United past the last match of the season.
He was probably given a goal of finishing 4th but it does not matter to his job status if we don't, apart from maybe a bonus payment.

acnumber9

You dont know that about Rangnick, we do know that about Ole. I dont want us to sign a new manager just to get a new manager, if the right manager isnt there i have no problem with keeping Rangnick.
I can make a very educated guess.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I do think Pochettino suits us. I also do think there are other managers looking for a chance who have decent playing style but would just require the support WE HAVE given to our failed managerial appointments. We haven't really hired managers who have previously shown excellence at managing a modern team using modern tactics.
I'd rather not see some known quantity come in, that we know is not on the level of Pep or Klopp and isn't on an upwards trajectory to back them with hundreds of millions while style of play becomes a secondary consideration. How we want to play should be paramount, that's what Rangnick was on about pre-match and he was absolutely right. We need a coherent strategy. Also, I'd rather not give a new manager 300m or whatever, but have other people (DoF) in charge of hiring players suitable to the long-term vision. The reckless management of this billion pound squad is down to having absolutely no vision.

Hughie77

Jeez RR is interim manager, most wanted Ole gone they sacked him. Couldn't get the manager they wanted, then we all know what they did. This guy is not the Answer the next guy may not be the Answer, until someone starts getting the right players in who Want to play football not just pick up Massive wages and have the privilege of being at OT, the problem will continue. That's what RR needs to get sorted and the new guy. To get top 4 is now like winning a trophy that's how important it is.

Roboc7

Funny you say that.

One is an interim the other was given three years, hundreds of millions and a huge squad. Ole also started off with loads of praise but ended up a huge disaster who has set the club back years. We’ll never know what Rangnick would or wouldn’t do given time and money but he has improved the team from how Ole has is playing this season.

Previous seasons as a comparison are irrelevant, I’m sure we could have appointed an interim who would have done better but what a huge mess Ole left behind, the guy who was supposed to be the long term solution did more long term damage than anyone.

tjb

Okay, but even if it's a quality problem, surely the staff should know this and try to plan around it. Instead we just went toe to toe with them in their own backyard. Almost pulled it off in the first half when they were sleeping, then they upped a few gears and blew us away. Maybe it would've been prudent to field a back 5? We looked so exposed today, even in the first half. City players left alone in or around the box.
There is no cover for that type of gulf in class in the modern game. You can't win a game without a midfield and that's what we've been asking our team to do for years. There are many reasons we don't have one...partially on managers, on the board and on the whole Pogba situation, but at the end of the day, in terms of options, we only have 4 and have had only those 4 as viable midfield options for the past 4 seasons.

1. Fred can press, but he can't recieve the ball from the defence in possession nor does he have the intelligence to block off the counter defensively, which means we can't sustain attacks with him as our deepest midfielder. He also lacks the strength and balance to win duels in midfield, which means in reality, he's just actually running around aimlessly in midfield.

2. Mctominay has strength and aggression which means he can win ball in duels if he is in the area. The problem is he doesn't have the awareness to know where to be and therefore never provides a cover or screen for our team. He lacks intelligence like Fred on dealing with those countering situations, meaning we can't sustain attacks with him as our deepest midfielder at any point. He fouls way too much because he actually lacks the composure to win the ball. He can't pass and is scared of being in position to pass, so therefore he hides from the ball, making him inexistent in our build up.

Note: 2 of these players make it impossible for our defence to move the ball forward. This either means Bruno has to drop deep or we play off the flanks and depend on AWB/Dalot and Shaw/Telles to move us up the pitch ( only Shaw can do this on form)

Matic: He can pass the ball and cut off potential counter situations. He can also win his duels and provide support to the defence as a consistently available passing option. However, he is aging. He cannot play too many games and when gassed will also struggle to win these duels. In addition, he cannot cover the ground that would be needed on a consistent basis. In a big game that is more open, he will be really stretched due to his lack of pace and stamina due to his age. Can only play smaller games once a week. In additon, due to his potential partners having almost zero defensive awareness, he can get really exposed in games where dual midfield coverage is needed.

Pogba: Great attacking player who can dribble, pass, shoot, hold off opposition players and play key and creative passes to unlock defences. He has off the ball positioning and can be a good passing option, but has a heavy first touch and is not always the most aware of threats coming towards him. Is particularly slow at releasing the ball and in the pacy environment of the Premier League, this is dangerous. He is also not always willing to play so deep, even breaking tactical instructions to get forward, which leads to easy and penetrable gaps. Defensively, he has zero awareness of how to cover space, he cannot position to narrow or close the space for an opposition counter, this means like Fred and Mctominay, with him as the deepest midfielder, despite having more of the ball, attacks cannot be sustained for long periods. In addition, he is heavily injury prone and his agent and speculations about him have led to a heavy cloud over the team.

These are our midfielders, none of whom can consistently play as the deepest midfielder, with three of whom can't even do it on a partial basis.

Jev

The man won the league playing Rafael, Park, and O'Shea in central midfield, of course I believe that.
No, he didn't. Ferguson was a phenomenon but he wasn't a miracle-worker. All his titles were entirely logical. He had one of the best squads in the league in every title-winning season. This squad is miles behind City in particular. No chance Fergie would have them winning.

Danish Wizard

Well, the overall performance have improved significantly under Rangnick I think. We play better and more as a team. We create more chances. We play better attacking football, and some players have started to perform. And we press and defend more as a team. So improvement as a team.

Things take time, no-one can change everything within a few month during the season. And we should really have got more points, but individual errors and some crazy misses in front on goal, have been ruining this for United.

And hey, you have to respect City. They are one of the absolutely best teams in Europe at the moment. They completely destroyed Sporting in the Champions League. They have a great manager, a great team and have a clear vision / strategy which have been settled for some years now. We are no-where near them. But at least we tried - and more or less succeeded - with the football delivered in the first 45 minutes. We didn't just rely on counters, but did well. The quality showed after the break. Everything is not as black / white as some want it to be..

Status
Not open for further replies.