Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

nonsense. To be honest, If we kept him as bad as it seemed I cant see us being any worse off than we are now. There are players that were mustard under him for years who are now ‘toxic’ because the sun said so. High paid clowns? Who? Sancho? Varane? Ronaldo? Dont think so. Just think its an excuse for people who dont want to admit we have hired a shite german nobody after Ole.
"Nonsense" yet you didn't prove it's not.

The dressing room this season was pretty toxic at the time of his sacking. We have seen a United side getting humiliated by Liverpool and City at Old Trafford without even having the dignity to put some effort into it. Players gave up playing for him. Leaks were everywhere that most players don't trust him. Can't get anymore toxic than that.

Weird to signal Sancho whom the beloved Ole was ruining his career and Ralf was the one who improved him and brought him back to form, as for the rest, yes, a squad full of high paid clowns other past it players whom their clubs got rid of them because they're washed out. Varane, Maguire, Ronaldo, AWB.. awful signings for the future of the club despite how shiny their names are but these are Ole's legacy..left with such players so that the next manager will have a hard time getting rid of them.

Ole was a nobody when we hired to follow Mourinho as well. Who was he exactly as a manager when we hired him for the job ? He was an ex legend but his managerial career has been spent relegating Cardiff and managing in Norway. Weird to signal Ralf as a "shit German nobody" when Ole apologists used to get irritated whenever we mentioned Ole's awful CV.

Jezpeza

Who would you have rather appointed?
next to anyone tbh. Big Sam would have probably yielded better results and points than RR has from that piece of piss run of fixtures that had seen him collect the lowest win % of any manager post ww1. Hes appaling, sorry.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
He has a severely depleted forward line. Being realistic I expected a defeat in this game. Doesn't mean Ralf is a bad coach, nor does it mean there aren't better candidates for the full time manager role. At least we didn't play with conference tactics against City and laid a few gloves on in the first half. Chomping at the bit to get in on this thread to champion Ole is pathetic. It's obvious RR is a better coach, but if we really wanted to be sure, let's give him half a billion and 3 years right?

Jezpeza

"Nonsense" yet you didn't prove it's not.

The dressing room this season was pretty toxic at the time of his sacking. We have seen a United side getting humiliated by Liverpool and City at Old Trafford without even having the dignity to put some effort into it. Players gave up playing for him. Leaks were everywhere that most players don't trust him. Can't get anymore toxic than that.

Weird to signal Sancho whom the beloved Ole was ruining his career and Ralf was the one who improved him and brought him back to form, as for the rest, yes, a squad full of high paid clowns other past it players whom their clubs got rid of them because they're washed out. Varane, Maguire, Ronaldo, AWB.. awful signings for the future of the club despite how shiny their names are but these are Ole's legacy..left with such players so that the next manager will have a hard time getting rid of them.

Ole was a nobody when we hired to follow Mourinho as well. Who was he exactly as a manager when we hired him for the job ? He was an ex legend but his managerial career has been spent relegating Cardiff and managing in Norway. Weird to signal Ralf as a "shit German nobody" when Ole apologists used to get irritated whenever we mentioned Ole's awful CV.
two wrongs make a right. Thumbs up!

Barnslig

i believe he did. Im not especially an ole inner either. We have some players in dreadful form this season. We also have a shite interim following a manager who it went downhill for
I think it's past "dreadful form" most of these players have dreadful mentalities, and that's not going to change.

DSG

i believe he did. Im not especially an ole inner either. We have some players in dreadful form this season. We also have a shite interim following a manager who it went downhill for
Agreed. There can be 3 factors: Ole wasn’t’ t good enough (agree) and should have been sacked after the Liverpool fiasco. 2: Ralf isn’t the answer. This is clear. He is so naive with man management and poor in communicating tactics/training. 3: The squad needs to be improved. We’ve known that we needed a DM for ages, yet nothing was done in the January window.

DSG

Maybe a few fringe idiots. The vast majority of people (whether you insist on pigeon-holing them as Ole outer or inners) knew damn well we needed a few key signings to have any hope of winning the league. We finished second but any fool could see we were nowhere near good enough to keep pace with Liverpool and City for a whole season if they got anywhere near the sustained excellence they’re capable of.

The only real difference of opinion was whether or not Ole was the right man to identify and sign those few final pieces of the jigsaw (turns out he wasn’t)
Was the signing of Sancho a disaster? Varane? You could argue Ronaldo, but despite the recent dry patch, he saved us in the Pl and CL this season.

my greatest issue with the club and Ralf was failing to sign a DM in January. A blind man could see that our midfield was a disaster, yet we did nothing.

Ole should have been sacked after Liverpool. But the appointment of Ralf and not going all in for Ten Hag or Poch mideseason was a grave mistake (and I don’t even like Poch!).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Feel for the guy, he obviously as a way of playing and wants to try and implement it but he’s stuck with a bunch of overpaid lazy t*ats. And Gary Neville is doing my head in… criticising rangnick at the first chance he gets but he stood by ole when we was losing every week and even after the smashing we got of Liverpool. It’s clear we need a DM but we’ve ignored that for a few years now and it’s costing us.

BlueHaze

Why are people using Ole as a tool to justify Ralfs failure? Ole is gone. Get over it and judge Ralf on the results we have gotten since his arrival. Truth be told they have been atrocious with a big chunk of points dropped to shit teams.

Losing today was expected from pretty much everyone but not dropping so many points to lower table teams which have put us in a position where we 95% likely will not make top 4. We cetainly have problems within the team but our squad is not that much worse than Arsenals who might finish the season 8 or 10 points clear of us.

We all know no CL means the owners will invest much less. Our only hope is that they for once bring in a decent manager and give him the proper tools to build on something good but with these owners that seems completely impossible.

Jezpeza

Agreed. There can be 3 factors: Ole wasn’t’ t good enough (agree) and should have been sacked after the Liverpool fiasco. 2: Ralf isn’t the answer. This is clear. He is so naive with man management and poor in communicating tactics/training. 3: The squad needs to be improved. We’ve known that we needed a DM for ages, yet nothing was done in the January window.
well yes. But Ole has been gone over 4 months and we still have idiot fans blaming everything on him whilst ‘tactical genius way of the future’ RR draws 0-0 at home to Watford. It was obvious that he was shite in January but some fans still seem to think that he has some sort of tactical masterplan thats getting closer despite the fact the season ends in 7/8 weeks time. Baffling

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was the signing of Sancho a disaster? Varane? You could argue Ronaldo, but despite the recent dry patch, he saved us in the Pl and CL this season.

my greatest issue with the club and Ralf was failing to sign a DM in January. A blind man could see that our midfield was a disaster, yet we did nothing.

Ole should have been sacked after Liverpool. But the appointment of Ralf and not going all in for Ten Hag or Poch mideseason was a grave mistake (and I don’t even like Poch!).
The Ronaldo signing has been a very obvious waste of everyone’s time and money. Varane could be great if he got a run of games. Very big if though. Sancho will (probably) come good.

Anyway, the biggest problem with Ole’s failure to get the “last few pieces of the jigsaw” is that the more time passes the more we realise he’s jammed loads of other jigsaw pieces into the puzzle where they don’t belong and they’re all dog-eared and falling apart and we’ve somehow lost the pieces we need and the whole jigsaw puzzle is completely fecked.

Pogue Mahone

Why are people using Ole as a tool to justify Ralfs failure? Ole is gone. Get over it and judge Ralf on the results we have gotten since his arrival. Truth be told they have been atrocious with a big chunk of points dropped to shit teams.

Losing today was expected from pretty much everyone but not dropping so many points to lower table teams which have put us in a position where we 95% likely will not make top 4. We cetainly have problems within the team but our squad is not that much worse than Arsenals who might finish the season 8 or 10 points clear of us.

We all know no CL means the owners will invest much less. Our only hope is that they for once bring in a decent manager and give him the proper tools to build on something good but with these owners that seems completely impossible.
Because you can’t discuss how well or badly the interim manager has done without discussing how good or bad is the squad he’s trying to work with.

Jezpeza

What rubbish, you cant make excuses for a man who drops points against Burnley watford and southampton and goes out the cup to Middlesbrough on the ‘state of the squad’ which contains the GOAT, Bruno, Varane, De Gea, and then bright sparks like Sancho. Its ludicrous. Ole was shit towards the end. So is RR from the start. Hes been unable to get the best tactically and results wise from a very good squad at his disposal and thats 1000% on his ineptitude.

the_cliff

People using the excuse that we're still shit with Ralf to back Ole, Well Ralf hasn't had 500 mill and 3 and a half years.

Ole got us Maguire for 80 and AWB for 50 and both are mid table players.

Not saying Ralf should be our permanent manager, but if we do get Poch/ETH I hope they're both given the same backing by the board and the fans because Ole's squad building was nothing short of shocking.

DSG

well yes. But Ole has been gone over 4 months and we still have idiot fans blaming everything on him whilst ‘tactical genius way of the future’ RR draws 0-0 at home to Watford. It was obvious that he was shite in January but some fans still seem to think that he has some sort of tactical masterplan thats getting closer despite the fact the season ends in 7/8 weeks time. Baffling
I hear you. For me, it has nothing to do with Ole. It has everything to do with Ralf. @VP89 @bond19821982 are the admiral and captain of the Ralf Rangnick fanboy club. My stance: Ole can be not good enough AND Ralf can be not good enough. And the players can be not good enough, or at least some players.

Look fellas, it’s okay to criticize Ralf. It doesn’t mean that your criticism of Ole is off target. I refuse to believe that a squad that got 2nd last season is complete shite, 1 to 25. Can we really look ourselves in a mirror and say that Allegri or Ancelloti couldn’t come in And guide us to 4th?

the_cliff

I hear you. For me, it has nothing to do with Ole. It has everything to do with Ralf. @VP89 @bond19821982 are the admiral and captain of the Ralf Rangnick fanboy club. My stance: Ole can be not good enough AND Ralf can be not good enough. And the players can be not good enough, or at least some players.

Look fellas, it’s okay to criticize Ralf. It doesn’t mean that your criticism of Ole is off target. I refuse to believe that a squad that got 2nd last season is complete shite, 1 to 25. Can we really look ourselves in a mirror and say that Allegri or Ancelloti couldn’t come in And guide us to 4th?
Context is everything, Liverpool had a season ravaged with injuries, Chelsea had more than half a season of Lampard and there were no fans in the stands. We were lucky due to the circumstances and our performances last season showed it despite the results being better. I can't remember the last time we've had more than 3 good performances in a row.

Ralph1386

It’s unfair to put this on Ralf, as it was reported by many sources that he wanted a midfielder in January. The club did not back him.

The irony is that they don’t want to sign anyone until they’ve appointed the next manager. Yet, they’ve already had their sights set on Declan Rice, and will go after him whether the new manager likes it or not.

DSG

The Ronaldo signing has been a very obvious waste of everyone’s time and money. Varane could be great if he got a run of games. Very big if though. Sancho will (probably) come good.

Anyway, the biggest problem with Ole’s failure to get the “last few pieces of the jigsaw” is that the more time passes the more we realise he’s jammed loads of other jigsaw pieces into the puzzle where they don’t belong and they’re all dog-eared and falling apart and we’ve somehow lost the pieces we need and the whole jigsaw puzzle is completely fecked.
I’ll never blame Ole or the club for the Ronaldo signing even if he never scores another goal for us (which he will). He is a club legend, he scored bags of goals for Juve last season, there was no indication of a drop off. How miserable would we be watching him score for City????

We keep making this about Ole. I have news for you, Ole is history. He inherited a squad from Jose, who inherited it from LvG, who inherited it from Moyes. Ralf inherited a squad from Ole, and make no mistake, his top priority is to get the best out of this squad. He hasn’t done that. He needs to make top 4. The jury is still out and if he is genius, he needs to figure out how to make the jigsaw fit together.

DSG

Context is everything, Liverpool had a season ravaged with injuries, Chelsea had more than half a season of Lampard and there were no fans in the stands. We were lucky due to the circumstances and our performances last season showed it despite the results being better. I can't remember the last time we've had more than 3 good performances in a row.
So context is Ralf isn’t good enough either…. There is no hiding. Fans In the stands, a full squad to choose from, ostensibly better than last season. Stop making this about Ole. It’s about Ralf. Where are we? Results matter.

Pogue Mahone

I’ll never blame Ole or the club for the Ronaldo signing even if he never scores another goal for us (which he will). He is a club legend, he scored bags of goals for Juve last season, there was no indication of a drop off. How miserable would we be watching him score for City????

We keep making this about Ole. I have news for you, Ole is history. He inherited a squad from Jose, who inherited it from LvG, who inherited it from Moyes. Ralf inherited a squad from Ole, and make no mistake, his top priority is to get the best out of this squad. He hasn’t done that. He needs to make top 4. The jury is still out and if he is genius, he needs to figure out how to make the jigsaw fit together.
The bit in bold is pretty daft. None of those managers ever had to work entirely with players they didn’t sign. We judge them on what they achieved with the squads they built. Obviously.

We’ve no idea if Ralf is getting the best out of this squad or not because we’ve no idea what this squad is capable of. All we can day for certain is that they’ve been absolutely shite all season long and there’s not a position in our best XI that doesn’t look in need of an upgrade.

the_cliff

So context is Ralf isn’t good enough either…. There is no hiding. Fans In the stands, a full squad to choose from, ostensibly better than last season. Stop making this about Ole. It’s about Ralf. Where are we? Results matter.
Yes, but expectations are a bit different when you've had 3 and a half years and 500 mill to spend than when you've joined in the middle of the season to steady the ship.

Again I'm not saying Ralf is the man for the job but he is an interim manager and the reason we needed an interim manager in the first place is because the previous manager spent 500 mill and had 3 years but still somehow made us worse than when he took over.

So yes it is mostly about Ole.

DSG

The bit in bold is pretty daft. None of those managers ever had to work entirely with players they didn’t sign. We judge them on what they achieved with the squads they built. Obviously.

We’ve no idea if Ralf is getting the best out of this squad or not because we’ve no idea what this squad is capable of. All we can day for certain is that they’ve been absolutely shite all season long and there’s not a position in our best XI that doesn’t look in need of an upgrade.
It’s not capable of 2nd in the table???? Three additions. Does that completely change the squad?

mu4c_20le

Liverpool mainly had injuries to their defense. But their forwards Mane Salah Firmino were all healthy. And we still outscored them. As another poster rightfully pointed out, we had no problems scoring goals.

DSG

Yes, but expectations are a bit different when you've had 3 and a half years and 500 mill to spend than when you've joined in the middle of the season to steady the ship.

Again I'm not saying Ralf is the man for the job but he is an interim manager and the reason we needed an interim manager in the first place is because the previous manager spent 500 mill and had 3 years but still somehow made us worse than when he took over.

So yes it is mostly about Ole.
Expectations are not different for me. Ralf has the same expectations as Ole, Jose, LvG, Moyes. Reach top 4.

We scoff at Real Madrid for making quick managerial changes… but look at their record.

Fitchett

I rate Rangnick highly. The problem is that we have overpaid players who don't have the desire to be consistently successful. Different squads have at times downed tools for different managers. We need to get them on lower basic salaries, with higher bonuses for results, to really incentivise them. We also need to be ruthless and shift the under performers. None of this "preserving our under performing assets" nonsense.

Rangnick's six months interim manager status doesn't help, but the players on their high wages should be motivated enough to play and deliver for Manchester United. They should also realise that Rangnick is paving the way for the next manager and will have a big input, whilst Consultant for the next two years.

Finally, don't forget that a far better bunch of players at the club downed tools when SAF announced in 2001 that he would be retiring at the end of the season.

lex talionis

This was the squad today:

Manchester United confirmed XI: De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Telles, McTominay, Fred, Elanga, Fernandes, Pogba, Sancho.
Subs: Henderson, Bailly, Jones, Mata, Rashford, Lingard, Dalot, Matic, Mejbri.

I was not pleased to see AWB get the start over Dalot, but in the end it wouldn't have made much of a difference had Dalot started. But I was surprised, and dismayed, to see Lingard subbed on instead of Mejbri. We were chasing the game, at least in theory, and Lingard was always going to be his useless self, which he proved to be. At least Rashford hasn't proclaimed his loyalty to another club so I understand subbing him on, although he keeps performing more poorly, match after match.

It's not realistic to expect Bailly or Jones to get the start over Maguire, but at this point the only rationale for starting Maguire today is the sunk cost of 80m we've put into him. I would be very disappointed -- and I'm sure I will be disappointed -- to see Maguire get the start v Spurs, the other Harry licking his chops at the prospect of Ralf making this calamitous mistake once again, thus opening the door to a goal spree on a helpless De Gea.

Giggsy13

next to anyone tbh. Big Sam would have probably yielded better results and points than RR has from that piece of piss run of fixtures that had seen him collect the lowest win % of any manager post ww1. Hes appaling, sorry.
Deluded and an insult to an actual football innovator in Rangnick.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

A great idea very poorly implemented. 3 out of the back 4 slow as feck.. a keeper who doesn't come off his line. Paul Pogba as a false 9 and being asked to lead the press from the front and 2 headless chickens in midfield who can press but leave acres in behind.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

A great idea very poorly implemented. 3 out of the back 4 slow as feck.. a keeper who doesn't come off his line. Paul Pogba as a false 9 and being asked to lead the press from the front and 2 headless chickens in midfield who can press but leave acres in behind.
I was actually saying to myself early in during the game that pogba pressing is going to be terrible. The guy has a pass but cannot work at all.

Lingard as well is leaving in summer so he should be nowhere near the squad.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
How exactly? By fluking his way Vs PSG and by losing 5 of the last 10 league games while drawing 2 and missing top four?
If someone told you that Ole donated to charity you would go out of your way to find a negative. I challenge you to say something positive about the players or the club in general.

Giggsy13

Exactly. And he’d have a better win rate than 44%. How bad does that make RR
Mate, we’re all mad at the moment but Big Sam, FFS. Look RR isn’t the long term answer but the interim market was unusually weak. It’s better we tumble down the table to 8th or 9th.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Lucky lucky Ole. Came 2nd because Liverpool had injuries and Chelsea had Lampard. So what? He would have came 4th otherwise worst case if this makes people feel better.

Whereas this season poor Ralf has to fight the mighty Arsenal, West Ham and Tottenham who all have already 7 and 9 losses in the league. They are nothing special and still we don‘t look like we‘ll finish 4th.

Ralf seems to be a nice person who seems to have the club‘s best interest in mind so I can‘t dislike him. But he is not even doing a decent job considering the easy fixtures he has had.
And what is all this look what he took over? Carrick had already stabilized the team and results against much better opposition than anything Ralf has faced so far bar today.
Also funny how the squad seems to be awful now whereas only a few months ago we were winning despite Ole, individual brilliance was saving him and he was wasting the best years of our talented players (and don‘t anyone dare to claim these things weren‘t said - they 100% were said by several people here).

Volksie316

Not been impressed at all.

Results have still been shit, and performances are just as bad, if not worse than under Ole.

mav_9me

Lucky lucky Ole. Came 2nd because Liverpool had injuries and Chelsea had Lampard. So what? He would have came 4th otherwise worst case if this makes people feel better.

Whereas this season poor Ralf has to fight the mighty Arsenal, West Ham and Tottenham who all have already 7 and 9 losses in the league. They are nothing special and still we don‘t look like we‘ll finish 4th.

Ralf seems to be a nice person who seems to have the club‘s best interest in mind so I can‘t dislike him. But he is not even doing a decent job considering the easy fixtures he has had.
And what is all this look what he took over? Carrick had already stabilized the team and results against much better opposition than anything Ralf has faced so far bar today.
Also funny how the squad seems to be awful now whereas only a few months ago we were winning despite Ole, individual brilliance was saving him and he was wasting the best years of our talented players (and don‘t anyone dare to claim these things weren‘t said - they 100% were said by several people here).
As one of those who thought in summer we had a decent squad bar CM and RW, I feel I got it completely wrong. Ole wasn't helping but I have changed my mind on the squad being talented. But we can change our mind no? On the basis of what we are seeing on the pitch? I did think a competent coach could salvage this season, now I feel we could maybe salvage the season with a pragmatic manager but I feel like we have decided to change philosophies to a more longterm modern change, for which the squad is ill suited and combine that with our winter window, and we see the results on the pitch.
I also don't think this squad is as bad as the results but its clear we have begun the process of overhauling the squad this winter by letting players go instead of adding. One of the consequences of our winter window is we are way worse off in midfield and attack.
I think I have given up on us having anything good for a long while, we have a long long long way to becoming decent, not solvable by one manager or DOF. I mean the way I see it, we need a complete overhaul of the starting 11 not to mention the squad. Only 4 people would survive from our best starting 11 for me

El Jefe

If a no name manager took on the United job when Ralf did and had the exact same run of results and performances the tune would be drastically different from a lot of you.

He has been seriously underwhelming considering he was branded as being a tactical god and several levels above Ole. His best performances for us have been in the press room.

Yes we can blame the players for being poor but we can also say Ralf has been poor too and just a marginal improvement on the 'P .E teacher'.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Oh the famous Ole fan. Dude , just grow up and for once leave Ole out of it. He was the most incompetent clueless manager we ever had. Period. Don't even bring Ole into it, anymore.

Now the Raph syndrome - yes, I am still a fan. We aren't winning a midfield battle with McT or any average midfielder against their rolls Royce. But context really doesn't matter for you anyways. You only care about results. Best thing for you is to log off and come back after 2 years because we aren't going to suddenly get better with a new manager. We will have the exact same results against teams like City, under a new manager too.

Status
Not open for further replies.