Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The club needs a cultural reset. SAF was both the best thing and probably the worst thing to happen to us. One because of the success and the standards set at the club. The other is because we are constantly searching for something that will never happen again out of nostalgia. Those times have passed. We need to build an institution that is bigger than one single person, that can operate by itself successfully using our brand and history so we are financially viable and secure, but creating an environment where we keep producing talent, finding good players and competing.

The club still has a 1990's - 2000's mindset in a 2020's world. In my eyes, we need to look at the operations of Ajax, Dortmund, Leipzig, and Chelsea and take note. A club with the latest tech, data, scouting, training facilities, a back room that is football first, business later, a commercial team that is business first BUT completely separated from the football side of the club. We need to look at RR coming in as a complete reset and a real opportunity to create the next dynasty of this club and lay the foundations for the next twenty years.

Corridor of Uncertainty

With all due respect, how on Earth do you have any clue how good Carrick and McKenna are at taking a training session?
Oh I don't know, probably by what's been on display for the last 3 seasons when they've been in charge of coaching/training. Also reports from reputable sources that the players expected them to leave/displeased with training as very basic.

Villarreal win has seriously clouded judgement on this coaching team.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
Honigstein made a good point on the Ornstein podcast (which should really be called steinandstein) that he’ll be taking over at the worst possible time to implement new ideas. Matches are coming so thick and fast between now and new year it won’t be possible to do much hard work in training as they’ll be in recovery mode between games. Just loads of video analysis. Which some players respond to and others don’t get at all.
Yes, it's so frustrating that we didn't act before the International Break. I don't know a single fan who wasn't screaming for the sack to happen to give the replacement some time.

At least the dead rubber tie against Young Boys should give us additional time to work on our new way of playing.

Dante

Average bang
I don't quite agree with this. We have still bought players such as Pellestri, James, Amad etc who aren't huge signings.
We overpaid for all them, relative to prices of other unproven players from Uruguay (€10m after only 739 senior minutes in the league and 1 goal), Swansea (€18m after only 33 games in the Championship) and the Italian youth league (€21m rising to €41m with bonuses after only 37 minutes of senior football).

Greck

As long as their powers are slashed or marginalised I'm okay with OIe's staff staying a little while longer so the new guy isn't walking into the dressing room blind. Lots of team dynamics like the captaincy situation and playing time promises. Rangnick might choose to sort out that mess for the benefit of morale rather than hit the complete reset button. Basically let him be the one to decide if they should stay. Reports say players think they suck in training but their days in charge of trainings are probably over either way.

It's probably just to maintain a semblance of continuity. Honestly couldn't care less if they get dismissed once everyone is bedded in.

Dante

Average bang
I think he probably is more interested in the boardroom than the dugout these days. Hence his wish to be the Sporting Director after the end of this season.

But that doesn't mean he isn't also a top coach when he wants to be. That should give us more than enough to last for 6 months.

It's just that his priorities have shifted into higher level strategising. The 6 month + 2 year deal seems pretty ideal from that perspective.

Maticmaker

The other is because we are constantly searching for something that will never happen again out of nostalgia
The same thing that followed SAF, happened when Busby retired, the search for the missing 'Busby Babes Holy Grail'!

The two most successful epochs in the clubs post WW2 history, the first was Sir Matt Busby accepting the invitation and leading United into the European Cup (Chelsea had turned the invitation down the previous season)when the English League argued against it... breaking new ground!

The second was SAF taking the new English Premier League by storm 13 PL titles in first 20 years (still unbeaten)... again breaking new ground!
This time however we went looking for the SAF Holy Grail.

Lets hope with Ralf we abandon the Holy Grail search mode and look immediately to ...breaking new ground.......that is United's TRUE DNA.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Rangnick might not be the most altruistic type but by all accounts he's been keen on managing and being involved in the English game from pretty much the time he could legally drink.

He not only gets do that now but also do it at a behemoth of world football. I know RB are disliked in Germany (and especially by pretentious Bayern fans who somehow think their club is some unparalleled beacon of ethics in football), so I imagine he'd be up for knocking some people off their perch both in the UK and internationally.

All in all, it sounds to me we might be in for a revolution if our new CEO does not deviate from his words and lets the football people work their magic.

Revaulx

Have you seen the ‘fruits of their labor’? Not looking very good isn’t it.
Well we saw the fruits of Carrick’s labour on Tuesday night. It wasn’t pretty, but it looked liked there was a plan, the players had been given instructions accordingly and they were able to understand and follow them.

Surely the job of an assistant coach is to pass on the instructions of their boss? If said boss has lost the plot, they are going to struggle. Particularly if they are relatively inexperienced and can’t compensate for that themselves.

If Carrick and McKenna are bad teachers, or stubbornly ignore Ralf’s instructions because he isn’t “United DNA” or any such bollocks, they will soon be moved on. If the club are taking the remarkably bold step of appointing Ralf, they are going to have to back him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We officially have manager compilations now :drool:
Shame the vid shows only the attacking moves, but I think he's very clear about how the football is played. Could be summed up in his anecdote about pressing:

"Little bit of pressing is like little bit of pregnant, you're either pregnant or not."

Pretty much sums up how atrociously we set up defensively the last decade.

Only Fred or Herrera were notable players who showed the ability and willingness to do so, the rest of the team was lacking behind because simply the philosophy of the manger on this was very weak or nonexistent.

We all should be very excited about this acquisition, we have a team of immense potential attacking wise but no idea how to get the ball or defend on the front foot. We should expect way more aggression and rotation based on workrate and player intelligence. Way more pressing higher up the pitch dismantling and exploiting opposition at the very beginning of their attack rather than waiting for them to make a mistake with them beating our press easily because only a player or two are willing to do the hardwork and have the skill to do so. That's more goals scored and more conceded at the beginning.

10 years of stone age football is over, but we will have to be patient because good habbits can't be created over night. Some players will surely leave or have more of a fringe role: Martial, Pogba, Ronaldo. Fully expecting Fred, VdB & Bruno to be unleashed and used to their full potential, Cavani to play a bit more & Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford to battle it out between each other.

Hannibal and Elanga to be introduced and with the appointment we can be very firmly in the market for a CDM this January as well, with a higher chance to get Haaland in the summer.

Even if he doesn't get us flying, he will recruit the right players and instill the new habbits for the next manager who he have a big say in. Doesn't matter if in the end it is ten Haag or Pochettino or Hassenhuttl I think we will have strong foundation and really finally a progressive pick..

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Jonathan WIlson will spunk himself with excitement about this appointment.
He's probably agonising about how he can continue to be negative about United when one of his favs is now our coach. :lol:

el3mel

Music to my ears
But.. But some here were trying to convince us Ole's United is actually well coached or something, while everyone and his mother know he is awful tactically and is all just vibes. Even the club realized this.

SirAF

Ageist
But.. But some here were trying to convince us Ole's United is actually well coached or something, while everyone and his mother know he is awful tactically and is all just vibes. Even the club realized this.
With all due respect to OGS, a legend in his own right, but it is incredible how the club could persist with someone who (at this level) is basically an amateur. Hiring OGS was more baffling that the Moyes appointment back in the day. Let's just HOPE that the penny has dropped with the board now.

WPMUFC

Music to my ears
i was actually going to post, and not a diss at Ole because we've been this way for years now, but is it any coincidence that the guy we now turn to is the polar opposite when compared to how we see the team play games?

How many threads are full of posts over multiple managers that say "we only try when we concede" or "how can the boys look so unmotivated in the first 5 mins".

So much of this squad is in for a huge wake up call. Can you imagine a Rangnick team looking like they've drinking cold and flu meds about 10 mins before kick off? He'll make all 3 subs as a message after 10 mins if that happens :lol:

mav_9me

With every page in this thread, the hyping grows and grows :lol:

Ralf fecking Rangnick, you could not make it up..

'The father of Gegenpressing', Lord help me, that is a cringe sentence of words

Guess "the father of TSG Hoffenheim" doesn't sound impressive enough
You are right. The hype keeps growing, as impossible as that sounds. And with our recent history I am personally skeptical this works.

However I am just glad we have an actual coach/trainer. Someone to get us playing the way I am envious of when I see Liverpool or City (with their pressing)

The other thing I'm envious of is Ajax's possession football. That may require a different coach.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This looks like a really smart choice and deal

So, how are united going to feck it up? :D

mav_9me

Tuchel has proven what an elite coach can do to a team of world class footballers. We genuinely have a very good squad and I’m certain a coach like Rangnick will transform our play very quickly
And Hansi Flick (though he probably had a better squad than ours, but most of them were thought as too old, time for wholesale changes etc)

I'm similarly hopeful. I think any team can be taught how to press. We've seen Southampton press the hell out of us and others. I'm most excited for that.

They're shit. As judged by the 3 years display.
Have you seen the ‘fruits of their labor’? Not looking very good isn’t it.
Oh I don't know, probably by what's been on display for the last 3 seasons when they've been in charge of coaching/training. Also reports from reputable sources that the players expected them to leave/displeased with training as very basic.

Villarreal win has seriously clouded judgement on this coaching team.
Do any of you 3 credit Mike Shorts with our League and Champions League double in 2008? Or our multiple league titles and CL final appearances after he was promoted to assistant manager?

I’m guessing the answer is no?

The coaches are only as good as the manager instructing them. Carrick and McKenna can’t just decide to coach a pressing game or a single pivot if the manager doesn’t want to play that way.

SirAF

Ageist
Do any of you 3 credit Mike Shorts with our League and Champions League double in 2008? Or our multiple league title and CL final appearances after he was appointed assistant manager?

I’m guessing the answer is no?

The coaches are only as good as the manager instructing them. Carrick and McKenna can’t just decide to coach a pressing game or a single pivot if the manager doesn’t want to play that way.
Queiroz was assistant then - and he was credited by Neville for masterminding the defensive display over the two legs against Barcelona.

mav_9me

It wouldn't surprise me if we approach Adi Hutter, who is exactly the type of coach who Rangnick likes.
It looks like he is doing very well with Monchengladbach? Only see results not the games, so don't know how he has influenced the performances.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When's he getting here then? Has he spoken yet?
Its not even been announced yet. I dont anticipate much by way of an interview before Sunday. Carrick will be in charge until after the Chelsea game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@harms isn't the "inventor" of gegenpress the national manager of Hungary in the 50s? Which was then used in Totaalvoetbal later in the late 60s-70s?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His character is intense and direct, much like his footballing philosophy. The majority of the United players are in shock :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.