Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

Any company that is serious about improving will welcome constructive criticism and complete honestly from its employees.
Just as any company that feels that that employee has too much to say about the company and what’s happening internally will be moved on

Thepinhead

I just hope his brutal honesty doesn’t cost him his new role
I actually think this is something they have talked about. Getting the cat out of the bag so the club can move on. No more pretending, no more Disneyland. Just highlight the problems and start fixing them. It's like having a big secret you are ashamed of. Telling someone and getting it out of your system can sometimes be what you need to move on. And I think the club agrees about that now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Many of his recent press conferences and interviews I see a man increasingly trying to show restraint while criticising players physicality and grasp of the basics and he has made no effort at all to excuse or justify things on their behalf. I see a man who is mind boggled by how united have got to here. I think he will gladly oversee a clear out and bring his players with the 'right energy' as he says himself
I see something close to that but I don't get the detesting part or even the strange narrative that people have built around his view of players. Based on all the interviews that I have seen, he hasn't shown much negative emotions but a very cold and fair assessment of the situation, now maybe I'm not reading enough between the lines because I agree and have shared similar opinions.

When it comes to the club Rangnick thinks that the club is not well structured, he seems to use the moment he arrived as a point of reference and at that time the manager was allegedly responsible for everything which as he pointed out is not a recipe for success, he believes there is a need for specialization and lightening the weight that is on the manager/head coach.

Regarding players his assessment seem to be very simple, the squad is a product of multiple philosophies and as a group they are not workable which is why many players need to leave and why he has refered to what the identity of the future head coach will be and how the club wants the team to play long term. Now he has said two things that I find particularly interesting when it comes to the players themselves, first that he joined a group of players that were down on confidence and have struggled to get it back, secondly I could remember it incorrectly but didn't he mention that the dressing room was divided?

None of it is positive but it sounds fair and emotionless.

philnguyen1994

I guess your evaluation of Ralf's impact as an interim manager depends on which of these two options you think ten Haag would prefer to be handed next season:

1. A fanbase firmly against the players, who won't be able to throw Ten Haag under the bus so easily like they did for Ole. Unpopular players also means ten Haag will be able to get rid or bench pretty much any player (maybe bar De Gea and Ronaldo) without fan resistance, or

2. Champions League football, which comes with a bigger transfer budget and bigger appeal to attract new signings?

Only ten Haag knows the true answer to that. To be honest, I think ten Haag would still have preferred the second option, but I can see how the first option (which we're heading towards) could be appreciated by ten Haag too.

Red00012

I actually think this is something they have talked about. Getting the cat out of the bag so the club can move on. No more pretending, no more Disneyland. Just highlight the problems and start fixing them. It's like having a big secret you are ashamed of. Telling someone and getting it out of your system can sometimes be what you need to move on. And I think the club agrees about that now.
I hope you’re right

Adamsk7

My take on this and I hope I’m wrong, is that Ralf feels like his consultancy role is going to be swept under the rug and even though he’s been blunt before, this new barrage of home truths is a play to get us supporters to outwardly support him and call for him to stay. He knows our board are cowards and so if we see him leaving as negative (which we should) they will keep him to not upset us and risk a chance of losing the money from our pockets or another major protest.
Meitner that or he knows he’s gone and is just making everyone who wants to know aware of what a state we’re in.

Either way, I’m all for what he’s doing. The most honest and respectable person at our entire club.

El Jefe

Whatever positives can be said about Ralf, it's fair to criticise him for his basic inability to motivate a team of Manchester United players (even a cobbled together team with half of them probably leaving in a few months) to raise their game against their greatest rivals.

If anything I'd say that's by far his greatest weakness and why he was a shit choice of interim, his lack of charisma and motivational techniques.

We might have still been beaten 4-0 (maybe more) under dross like Dyche/Allardyce/take your pick but the players would have at least got themselves up for this one game.

It's also probably fair to say he's not shy of throwing the players under the bus to save his own blushes. He just does it in a more measured, calm and arguably polite manner that goes under the radar compared to the likes of Mourinho.

Don't get me wrong - I'm really happy he is involved in our club now, we need his expertise in rebuilding the club and someone to call the board out for how badly we've been running things - but he has been a fairly shit manager for us. Blaming it all on the players (who for the most part have been disgraceful) is only half the story.

The results have been fairly crap, the football poor, and yes he's dealing with a squad in disarray but to get basically no new manager bounce at all has been flatly embarrassing.
Thank you! You get it, a lot of posters on here are not being objective at all so its no surprise I've seen a lot of negative posts disagreeing with you.

He's almost created a narrative that, no manager could lift this sorry group of players and achieve anything this year. That is blatantly dishonest and a way to absolve himself of any of the blame. As you say he's been embarrassing if judged purely on what we see on the pitch. However 'the players are all shit, feck them' crew are too blind to accept this and are lapping up all of Rangnick's quotes.

It's ok to say he's affecting change going forward which is good, but lets not forget to add his ability as a coach/manager has been a complete shit show.

Submarine Chief

Thank you! You get it, a lot of posters on here are not being objective at all so its no surprise I've seen a lot of negative posts disagreeing with you.

He's almost created a narrative that, no manager could lift this sorry group of players and achieve anything this year. That is blatantly dishonest and a way to absolve himself of any of the blame. As you say he's been embarrassing if judged purely on what we see on the pitch. However 'the players are all shit, feck them' crew are too blind to accept this and are lapping up all of Rangnick's quotes.

It's ok to say he's affecting change going forward which is good, but lets not forget to add his ability as a coach/manager has been a complete shit show.
So it seems you are saying that the losses are mostly due to Ralf’s inability to handle the players and manage the game?
Is it then fair to say that a good new manager shouldn’t need to get rid of players and just shape this squad?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Is it then fair to say that a good new manager shouldn’t need to get rid of players and just shape this squad?
A good new manager should get the club to perform at a baseline level (let's say comfortably 4th, maybe 3rd). Then they can be trusted when/if they say "I can't take these players further, I need to make these additions to the squad."

Others have mentioned this, but it's just kind of weird and unsound to appoint him as interim manager and for him to transition into this consultancy role. It makes it easier for him evade responsibility by shifting it across roles. If new players are brought in, and Ten Hag can't get them to perform, who's going to be fired? Ten Hag? Rangnick? Both?

Walters_19_MuFc

I get that he thinks our team needs improving drastically, but lets make no mistake, he's underachieving big time.

We have a good enough team to go out and comfortably beat the likes of Burnley, Norwich, Everton, etc, but all of those games we've either struggled in and/or dropped points.

He's changed more or less nothing since coming in.

That being said, I'm glad he's moving upstairs because he'll have a full insight as to what the players are like both on and off the pitch, so you'd think that'd be useful to ten Hag. However, I would want to see ten Hag work with the majority of these players, simply because I'd like to see if he can improve them or get some back to the level they once were. I mean, these are not poor players, and in the last couple of seasons, regardless of circumstances, we've finished 3rd and 2nd, respectively.

Now, all of a sudden, we need a whole new team? Maybe Rangnick is right, but as I said, I don't think he's fulfiled his role, in that he should have been getting a better tune out of these players and he hasn't.

phelans shorts

So it seems you are saying that the losses are mostly due to Ralf’s inability to handle the players and manage the game?
This is a daft narrative to try to push.

The squad needs improving. It’s a mess of different styles that don’t work together.

It’s also the case (and we know this from his past) that Ralf isn’t a particularly good manager. A better manager would have these players performing significantly better than Ralf does.

C'est Moi Cantona

I just hope his brutal honesty doesn’t cost him his new role
Then it would have been a waste of time getting him here at all, surely they want know the truth as to why we failing, however hard it is to hear.

The fact we've hired ETH seems to make you think they are listening, as Poch would have been a far easier option for them make if they want to keep the status quo.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think I've said it before but the fuss around Rangnick reminds me of Real Madrid circa 2019.

We had a poor 2017-2018 Liga campaign (after which Zidane quit) and then a poor beginning to 2018-2019, after which Lopetegui was fired.

The general mood in the fanbase was that the team was shit now, they'd done everything they could but they were old and needed to be phased out for a new project. Santiago Solari was appointed as interim manager, started benching people left and right, and bringing up youth players and playing side players more often. A lot of people supported him. But eventually he had a horrible string of results and was fired.

Then Zidane came back and reversed a lot of that, he kept most of the old guard, sold a lot of the young players and side players, and took his time to integrate new signings. Lots of people complained and kept bringing up Solari.

Now with hindsight we can see that the squad wasn't finished, lots of the players are still performing (but not all), and many (but not all) of the youngsters people wanted them to be replaced with are not doing amazingly at their current clubs. There was some truth to both narratives but the club didn't need to be razed to the ground.

(of course you can say 'Real Madrid were in a much better situation with more proven players' but I think the general point still stands)

Matt851

Anyone who thinks that RR is at fault for failing to get these guys to start winning is similar to saying that a ETH should be able to make them winners without any personnel changes.

If Ralph is a bad manager and ETH is a good one, then we just keep the same squad and let a good manager take over and fix the problems RR couldn’t.

Or just admit that your reasoning doesn’t hold up.
I am quite confident ETH would do a better job with the same players than ralf has. It's not exactly saying much. That's not tobsay he would resolve all our problems without signings though

According to many on here ralf is the only manager in football history who shouldn't be judged based on results on the pitch

Zen86

The players are hardly faultless, but we’ve basically had an uncharismatic robot come in and try 30 minutes of football the team was in no way accustomed to playing, followed by months of him telling the world how shit they are and how much is wrong with the club when it didn’t work. I mean, why wouldn’t they be fired up for our games?

DevilRed

Get this cnut fraud out of my club right now.

Would rather bring Carrick back.

This german fraud hasn't a clue how to manage top tier players or motivate/organise a team.

arnie_ni

Get this cnut fraud out of my club right now.

Would rather bring Carrick back.

This german fraud hasn't a clue how to manage top tier players or motivate/organise a team.
:lol: Aye because 2 defenders missing a cross and another stopping his run at the back post is the managers fault. feck me

DevilRed

:lol: Aye because 2 defenders missing a cross and another stopping his run at the back post is the managers fault. feck me
They are all at fault. But its the managers job to organise them and make sure they perform.

He hasn't done so AT ALL since he has arrived.

Take your head out of his arse and have a look around.

arnie_ni

They are all at fault. But its the managers job to organise them and make sure they perform.

He hasn't done so AT ALL since he has arrived.

Take your head out of his arse and have a look around.
Lucky hes only an interim manager and we've appointed someone long term eh

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Should have never taken the managerial job. His stock has dropped so low for me. He is like Gary Neville or Paul Scholes, where they can talk about football on TV, but in reality, they make a shite coach.

DevilRed

Lucky hes only an interim manager and we've appointed someone long term eh
We should have got Conte. We'd be in the top four and given ourselves far more money and attraction to rebuild.

We've wasted an entire year with this fraud. Would you even entrust him to make decisions as a consultant? Im pretty sure the players are done with him too.

arnie_ni

We should have got Conte. We'd be in the top four and given ourselves far more money and attraction to rebuild.

We've wasted an entire year with this fraud. Would you even entrust him to make decisions as a consultant? Im pretty sure the players are done with him too.
If we got conte we wouldn't have ten hag.

This was the longterm play and it'd best for the club. This was the plan.

It might not work out but it's def the best option

DevilRed

If we got conte we wouldn't have ten hag.

This was the longterm play and it'd best for the club. This was the plan.

It might not work out but it's def the best option
Why wouldn't we have gotten ten hag?

Conte is on an 18 month contract at fecking spurs. spurs ffs.

We could have sacked him and appointed ten hag regardless.

Stringer

Why wouldn't we have gotten ten hag?

Conte is on an 18 month contract at fecking spurs. spurs ffs.

We could have sacked him and appointed ten hag regardless.
Would you have sacked Conte (if he got top four) this summer to get Ten Hag? Can't see how that would be a good luck for the club and might put off some managers from joining United if they see that lack of commitment.

DevilRed

2-0 down to the gooners of all teams. In the first half ffs.

This fraud of a manager couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel, let alone our back line.

Players have given up on the INTERIM manager who was supposed to come in and inject some life into us.

DevilRed

Would you have sacked Conte (if he got top four) this summer to get Ten Hag? Can't see how that would be a good luck for the club and might put off some managers from joining United if they see that lack of commitment.
Its not that uncommon is it?

Plenty of the top tier clubs do it. I don't know what makes us so special and conservative that we have to put every single manager on a pedestal. If chelsea can sack their caretaker manager literally months after he won a double, we sure as shit can sack a manager who only brings us fourth place. Especially if there is a longer term manager identified.

If there is a better manager out there, we get him. Simple as that. Obviously as long as the Glazers are willing to pay, but they've done it numerous times over the years to comedy levels. Giving new contracts to managers before sacking them is now our specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.