Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
The very fact that he thinks we should be signing up to 10 players in one transfer window shows he shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the running of the club once his managerial stint is over. Thankfully he won’t be either.

It’s funny seeing him hailed as a hero for calling out the players. It’s the manager’s job to engage and motivate the players. It’s so crazy for an interim manager to lose the dressing room because you only had to hold it together for 6 months! Even Jose who’s notorious for this kind of stuff lasted 2 years at United before the cracks really started to show. Contrary to popular belief this doesn’t reflect well on Rangnick at all.
:wenger:

mctrials23

In this instance, you can’t sack them. So you’d continue calling them shit and they’d continue to spit in your coffee. I’m sure your superiors would pat you on the back and tell you job well done for that.
You very much can get rid of plenty of this squad and I think we will see a large scale clear out over the next 2 years. Pussy footing around the players clearly hasn't worked for 3 years and this is a very public job. If you have the fans on your side then the clear out will be a much easier job. Publicly calling out the players has seemingly done that and will give ETH more freedom to be brutal in his cull.

You come across as incredibly naive. There is a reason why people management is a very important part of management, not only in sports but in every business.
Exactly, which is why you never ever let the workers dictate how the company is run and you never let the workers have this much power in the first place. If a company treats its workers like shit then fine, the workers will perform accordingly. United pay these idiots better than market rate and expect very little of them compared to pretty much every other team. You're acting like this sort of thing is commonplace in the real world, it isn't. Most people don't earn enough to give so few shits about their jobs or losing them.

Firing most of your employees would just mean business stops. And while you can pat yourself on the back for how "you are saying it like it is", it will be catastrophic for business.
If your staff aren't doing their jobs and their jobs don't have a high level of domain specific knowledge then you very much can clear it out and start again. As I said above, there is a reason you don't let it get this bad in the first place. There is no simple or good solution once it does. Either you have a big clear out or you bring in a new manager who you think can pick up morale and change attitudes and miraculously turn them into a winning team again as well. Thats very very hard to do. Much easier to kick the crap out of the company and build from whats left.

Do you honestly think that United would stop working if we got rid of 9 players this summer? Of course not.

stevoc

That's always been the biggest concern here. It's very easy to freeze out a consultant, though it needs to be said that United wouldn't have been so desperate to hire Ralf that they'd bend over to any demand. There would have been a mutual agreement of the advantages to the arrangement. To go back on that now wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence that the club have a clear plan.
Indeed, I do hope Ralf stays on and is given a prominent role and is listened to. But I still don't trust the guys running United, some think there's a masterplan in action here, there may be and I hope there is. But I've had a suspicion for months that the suits are still winging it as the consultancy role was Ralf's idea and not United's.

Gordon Godot

Indeed, I do hope Ralf stays on and is given a prominent role and is listened to. But I still don't trust the guys running United, some think there's a masterplan in action here, there may be and I hope there is. But I've had a suspicion for months that the suits are still winging it as the consultancy role was Ralf's idea and not United's.
The whole point of 'consultant' role is often from a corporate perspective that they are vague and easily terminated. It never inspired me that this was the best we could offer, especially when Fletcher was hired with zero experience or qualifications versus the many experienced professionals in the field we could have gone for. Given how freely he speaks now I would be amazed if he is not let go in summer. Cant have someone upsetting the status quo of inept decision makers.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Did you call a company-wide conference to tell everyone how shit your employees were? I don’t think they would have responded very well to that, but that’s basically what we’re talking about here.
Is that's what happened though?

Most of the time when a failing business gets new senior management statements are issued, usually saying stuff like:

We haven't lived up to the standards of service our customers would expect. We know that our customers expect more from us and its clear we haven't delivered. We need to listen to our customers who are telling us by going elsewhere that what they are getting from us is not good enough.

Everything Ralf has said falls fully in line with that. He has not gone off on anyone, even though he probably wants to. Even if it would be warranted. All he has done is given an honest appraisal of what's going on. Why should he not? These players' betrayal of Ole shows that its pointless to make yourself into a human shield for them, they won't appreciate it anyway.

The whole point of 'consultant' role is often from a corporate perspective that they are vague and easily terminated. It never inspired me that this was the best we could offer, especially when Fletcher was hired with zero experience or qualifications versus the many experienced professionals in the field we could have gone for. Given how freely he speaks now I would be amazed if he is not let go in summer. Cant have someone upsetting the status quo of inept decision makers.
I agree with this. However, I am hoping against hope that Ralf's frankness is just reflective of his confidence of being relied upon to affect change at the club. I know how stupid that sounds though.

stevoc

More that cups are so difficult to compare particularly because Ole being first would have had earlier rounds and group stages in most and, let’s be honest, we aren’t beating Pool or City in a knockout game given how bad we’ve been and the CL was always way beyond us so I don’t get how it’s relevant?
Never mind City or Liverpool we couldn't even beat Middlesbrough or Atletico. 3 cup games, 0 wins which is why the cup games are being left out.

I don’t genuinely get your point here, you want to say Ragnick hadn’t been great which is generally agreed but won’t accept he’s actually been a slight improvement (and that’s how bad the situation is) on what came before this season.
We haven't improved and that is my point, we've won 4 games since January. As I say I'm not heaping all the blame on Ralf for this shitshow but I don't get the clutching at straws trying to pretend are getting better.

L1nk

Is he perhaps going to get more influence than first thought?

stevoc

Sadly that could be the case. Ralf himself doesn't sound 100% sure he'll be taking up a significant role in June.

tomaldinho1

Never mind City or Liverpool we couldn't even beat Middlesbrough or Atletico. 3 cup games, 0 wins which is why the cup games are being left out.

We haven't improved and that is my point, we've won 4 games since January. As I say I'm not heaping all the blame on Ralf for this shitshow but I don't get the clutching at straws trying to pretend are getting better.
I do think context is important though, we outplayed Boro and then lost on penalties, we should have won. Not excusing the result but that’s happened to all managers. Losing to Athletico wasn’t exactly crazy. What was the other cup game?

We’re basically just on different sides of the same coin. You think it was shit but is now worse, I think it was shit but it’s now marginally better. I don’t think things are getting better as if there’s a continued upward trend though.

stevoc

Top 4 was always a long shot yet some of you now treat it as a given for an interim.

How emotional some of you lot seem to be against Ralf really undermines your objectivity.The rest of us don't really give a feck about him but we can recognise a shit hand when we see it.

A shit squad incapable of anything but counter football with it's only real counter threat broken to the point of being unusable.

A 37 year old striker, Cavani basically done, Rashford done, Greenwood unavailable. Sancho struggling to adapt and Elanga not really ready. Then you wonder why we're shit jeez :lol:
Weren't we like 3 points off 4th when he took over?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If you were offered a higher points total or a higher win rate at the start of the season, which would you choose?
You keep making this daft point. 6 of 8 games against the bottom 4 teams have been under Ralf. He will end the season with 15 of his 24 games being against bottom half teams. Bar City and Pool away his fixtures have been fairly straightforward.

We've won 2 games in 67 days. Are you even aware how ridiculous that sounds?

Irwin99

Always seems very complimentary about Fred and his energy/enthusiasm i've noticed. Get the feeling he'll tell ten Hag that this guy is one of the few you can rely on.

stevoc

I do think context is important though, we outplayed Boro and then lost on penalties, we should have won. Not excusing the result but that’s happened to all managers. Losing to Athletico wasn’t exactly crazy. What was the other cup game?
The draw away to Atletico.

We’re basically just on different sides of the same coin. You think it was shit but is now worse, I think it was shit but it’s now marginally better. I don’t think things are getting better as if there’s a continued upward trend though.
Fair enough mate.

stevoc

A long shot.

Yeah I do think anyone trying to make out as if we needed some sort of miracle or that is was a long shot to come 4th is being a bit ridiculous. I mean we were still in with a shout of 4th until last weekend despite only winning 4 games in 3 months which shows you just how poor and inconsistent the others teams around us have been. We didn't need to be brilliant since Xmas all we needed was a run of wins somewhere had the team been spurred onto a decent run at some point I suspect we would be sitting 4th a few points clear right now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We have to give the new regime a chance to succeed or fail. Woodward has definitely left a scar on our fanbase in that regard, but if we look at the actions taken they are quite positive. The fanbase wanted Rangnick and they delivered him. They wanted Ten Hag and they've delivered him too. People should be happy right now. We seem to be making the right decisions so far. Lets see if they can manage to get player recruitment right this summer.

Idxomer

Top 4 was always a long shot yet some of you now treat it as a given for an interim.

How emotional some of you lot seem to be against Ralf really undermines your objectivity.The rest of us don't really give a feck about him but we can recognise a shit hand when we see it.

A shit squad incapable of anything but counter football with it's only real counter threat broken to the point of being unusable.

A 37 year old striker, Cavani basically done, Rashford done, Greenwood unavailable. Sancho struggling to adapt and Elanga not really ready. Then you wonder why we're shit jeez :lol:
Yep, a lot of people are being disingenuous and forgetting what happened during the winter break after the WHU game.

Half the team will be missing tomorrow, and some will come crying here that Ralf is shit after we lose.

Smores

Yeah I do think anyone trying to make out as if we needed some sort of miracle or that is was a long shot to come 4th is being a bit ridiculous. I mean we were still in with a shout of 4th until last weekend despite only winning 4 games in 3 months which shows you just how poor and inconsistent the others teams around us have been. We didn't need to be brilliant since Xmas all we needed was a run of wins somewhere had the team been spurred onto a decent run at some point I suspect we would be sitting 4th a few points clear right now.
To be honest i mainly said that as the poster had himself at that time. Best to throw peoples own words back at them when they're being ridiculous.

The narrative when he joined in the media and on here was that he was in for a really tough job. Just because some of you have forgotten the state we were in doesn't change that.

It's fair to say he hasn't corrected course we've basically grown the gap at the same ratio as we were on. He should have done better but these claims of him being awful suggest we should have walked top 4 which is absolutely absurd and ignored basic sense.

A good performance from him would probably have been an extra 5pts right now. It's small margins.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we only just get top 4 next season and that'll be with the authority of a full time manager with transfers and preseason. Hopefully people won't be in that thread crying we should be winning a title immediately.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't know why people seem so determined to take such a firm position on Ralf. It's entirely plausible to have the opinion that he should have secured a top four spot, but that it's also been a reasonably successful appointment overall.

IhabX7

I don't know why people seem so determined to take such a firm position on Ralf. It's entirely plausible to have the opinion that he should have secured a top four spot, but that it's also been a reasonably successful appointment overall.
How was it reasonably successful?

tomaldinho1

You keep making this daft point. 6 of 8 games against the bottom 4 teams have been under Ralf. He will end the season with 15 of his 24 games being against bottom half teams. Bar City and Pool away his fixtures have been fairly straightforward.

We've won 2 games in 67 days. Are you even aware how ridiculous that sounds?
I personally would find myself ridiculous if I professed to know final league positions with some teams still having 6 games to play whilst calling a ppg argument based on current data daft…

Let’s see at the season’s end how this shakes out. Ole played Leeds, Soton, Wolves, Newcastle, WHUM, Villa, Everton, Leicester, Pool, Spurs, City, Watford. With all the bolded being guaranteed or potentially bottom half finishers. Obviously Newcastle’s situation has changed a lot since we beat them early season but I’d wager it’s going to look veeeeery similar.

El Jefe

A long shot.

It's honestly mind-boggling the lengths that Ralf's army will go to make lame excuses for him. By far the worst of the 'fanboys' I've ever seen on here. With other players or managers, they've at least performed to a decent level at one point to have the fandom. Ralf has been a consistent failure but somehow has a following that swears he's doing a fine job.

They've also taken on his best quality of deflecting. I bet you if we went on a run to win all our games by big margins to end the season, they would find a way to give him all the credit despite absolving him of any blame for the losses.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really evidence, he is currently interim manager and as such his job is to win as many games as possible etc. His consultancy role after isn't defined but as a consultant he is unlikely to have any real authority and will provably just offer advice on specific matter
You're spot on, but the circular argument had at interim is that the players wont listen to him. Now the argument from those against him put the blame on him which I disagree with.

And he was never going to forego the reset in approach for some new manager bounce results. Its short term pain for long term gain and I am all for it. His approach to ask for more work ethic and high press enables him to see who can and cant do it. That makes the overhaul easier.

Re consultancy yes hes a consultant but he is highly leveraged it seems. There is lots of evidence to elude to that.

Ultimately
Let him ride on Ten Hag’s (potential) success.
Bit of a silly post.

tomaldinho1

The draw away to Atletico.

Fair enough mate.
Ok I was just counting CL as one, regardless of two legs or not.

CL I don’t really have any qualms with, I think we actually played quite well 2nd leg but we just struggle to score. Boro was crap but it’s not like they outplayed us like the MK debacle or Leeds game where Beckford scored

IhabX7

You're spot on, but the circular argument had at interim is that the players wont listen to him. Now the argument from those against him put the blame on him which I disagree with.

And he was never going to forego the reset in approach for some new manager bounce results. Its short term pain for long term gain and I am all for it. His approach to ask for more work ethic and high press enables him to see who can and cant do it. That makes the overhaul easier.

Re consultancy yes hes a consultant but he is highly leveraged it seems. There is lots of evidence to elude to that.

Ultimately
Bit of a silly post.
You think Ten Hag needs him to succeed then? In what capacity? How does Rangnick deserve this spot exactly? You’re making too many excuses for a guy who couldn’t finish fourth with this squad when Arsenal and Spurs have been horrible. Third was possible with a good manager. The players are guilty but it’s his responsibility and he dealt with it in the worst way possible.

stevoc

Sounds pretty sure of himself?
Last friday he said he wasn't even sure if the board or Ten Hag would want his advice. So who knows, for the record I hope the club do take his advice.

IhabX7

The very fact that he thinks we should be signing up to 10 players in one transfer window shows he shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the running of the club once his managerial stint is over. Thankfully he won’t be either.

It’s funny seeing him hailed as a hero for calling out the players. It’s the manager’s job to engage and motivate the players. It’s so crazy for an interim manager to lose the dressing room because you only had to hold it together for 6 months! Even Jose who’s notorious for this kind of stuff lasted 2 years at United before the cracks really started to show. Contrary to popular belief this doesn’t reflect well on Rangnick at all.
Absolutely. Some daft people who were sold a story on this guy don’t want to look stupid by admitting they’ve been had. Or even worse are actually stupid and still believe in him.

Calling out the players being hailed in the same manner when he was talking about tactics before he joined. Anyone can talk the talk, we have that on the caf in abundance.

stevoc

We have to give the new regime a chance to succeed or fail. Woodward has definitely left a scar on our fanbase in that regard, but if we look at the actions taken they are quite positive. The fanbase wanted Rangnick and they delivered him. They wanted Ten Hag and they've delivered him too. People should be happy right now. We seem to be making the right decisions so far. Lets see if they can manage to get player recruitment right this summer.
Things do appear to be on the right track but I just can't my hopes too much up right now. I want to be convinced things are actually changing this time before getting too excited. We've had a few false dawns over the last decade.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Are we still making excuses for motor mouth Ralf?

One of the easiest things to do is to galvanise a shit dressing room but he somehow did the unthinkable and made things even worse in a matter of weeks. We might have a bunch of cnuts as players but they've always responded positively to new managers. In fact the only squad we had that didn't was Fergie's squad to Moyes but that was understandable and none of the current players were part of that.

Shit coach, shit man manager but world class in press conferences. Bravo
You should try your hand at politics with the amount of lies and spin there is in that post without any substantiation.

One would think you work for United by the amount of defensiveness that's spilling from this post. Or you might be a relative of our former crap manager.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
At least bringing in rangnick as exposed the club in so many ways, he knows now what needs to change. Ole never went deep into conversations to explain the problems at the club like rangnick as. This guy knows what’s he talking about and hopefully he’s allowed the freedom to change the whole structure of the club. Him and ten Hag working together is like a dream. We’ll be back winning trophies sooner rather then later. We’re in for an exciting future.

stevoc

To be honest i mainly said that as the poster had himself at that time. Best to throw peoples own words back at them when they're being ridiculous.

The narrative when he joined in the media and on here was that he was in for a really tough job. Just because some of you have forgotten the state we were in doesn't change that.

It's fair to say he hasn't corrected course we've basically grown the gap at the same ratio as we were on. He should have done better but these claims of him being awful suggest we should have walked top 4 which is absolutely absurd and ignored basic sense.

A good performance from him would probably have been an extra 5pts right now. It's small margins.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we only just get top 4 next season and that'll be with the authority of a full time manager with transfers and preseason. Hopefully people won't be in that thread crying we should be winning a title immediately.
I doubt anyone has forgotten the state we were and still are in. And yet 4th has been there for the taking all season.

mu4c_20le

You should try your hand at politics with the amount of lies and spin there is in that post without any substantiation.

One would think you work for United by the amount of defensiveness that's spilling from this post. Or you might be a relative of our former crap manager.
Nothing he said was a lie, the only thing he did was stop the losses which Carrick already did.

crossy1686

career ending
Did you call a company-wide conference to tell everyone how shit your employees were? I don’t think they would have responded very well to that, but that’s basically what we’re talking about here.
I told the boss a whole department was shit but it wasn't a public statement. That doesn't matter anyway, the players can't play shit then blame a manager for calling them shit as the reason they played shit.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Things do appear to be on the right track but I just can't my hopes too much up right now. I want to be convinced things are actually changing this time before getting too excited. We've had a few false dawns over the last decade.
Yeah I can understand the reluctance. 'It's the hope that kills you' and all that.

I'm always of the opinion that the manager is far and away the most important person at a football club. A great manager can succeed in an average environment, but a great environment wont hide an average manager. I like pretty much everything I've seen and heard about Ten Hag at the moment. We might have a great one.

stevoc

Yeah I can understand the reluctance. 'It's the hope that kills you' and all that.

I'm always of the opinion that the manager is far and away the most important person at a football club. A great manager can succeed in an average environment, but a great environment wont hide an average manager. I like pretty much everything I've seen and heard about Ten Hag at the moment. We might have a great one.
Me too I'm delighted we've got him as I wasn't convinced about Pochettino, good manager but nothing more. But I hope we let ETH build his own team as I think the last few managers have been stuck with signings they didn't really want.

georgipep

You very much can get rid of plenty of this squad and I think we will see a large scale clear out over the next 2 years. Pussy footing around the players clearly hasn't worked for 3 years and this is a very public job. If you have the fans on your side then the clear out will be a much easier job. Publicly calling out the players has seemingly done that and will give ETH more freedom to be brutal in his cull.

Exactly, which is why you never ever let the workers dictate how the company is run and you never let the workers have this much power in the first place. If a company treats its workers like shit then fine, the workers will perform accordingly. United pay these idiots better than market rate and expect very little of them compared to pretty much every other team. You're acting like this sort of thing is commonplace in the real world, it isn't. Most people don't earn enough to give so few shits about their jobs or losing them.

If your staff aren't doing their jobs and their jobs don't have a high level of domain specific knowledge then you very much can clear it out and start again. As I said above, there is a reason you don't let it get this bad in the first place. There is no simple or good solution once it does. Either you have a big clear out or you bring in a new manager who you think can pick up morale and change attitudes and miraculously turn them into a winning team again as well. Thats very very hard to do. Much easier to kick the crap out of the company and build from whats left.

Do you honestly think that United would stop working if we got rid of 9 players this summer? Of course not.
Big clear out sounds great and the right solution but as every serious business (especially publicly traded ones) it cannot come at the cost of tragic results and massive asset value right offs.
It is simply not an option. Shareholders, board, will not allow it.
Since a clear out is by no means a guarantee for long-term success, it is almost never an option.

And I agree that the tail should have never been allowed to wag the dog, any manager (or other member of staff) now operates under these conditions. And we need to acknowledge and adjust our expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.