Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You misread everything, My post was reply to a poster who is Jose fan, so it was simple question to him, whether he blamed Ole during that Interim period or made excuses for Ole saying how Jose left shit squad with shit fitness. It was even clear when I ended that post with "amazing how posts change based on who the manager is "
Again, the posts did NOT change based on the manager. The same issues with fitness (and injuries) were current back then.

So your whole point about posts changing makes no sense to me but maybe I'm missing something.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This has got to be one of the dumbest posts ever. Of course, I'm talking about OGS, since we're discussing his interim period and the double standards applied to him and Rangnick.

Do you want me to discuss our managers from the 1980s or what?
You made the point people make excuses for Ole but that’s nonsense considering the vitriol he received on here almost his entire tenure. Ragnick has been given far far more excuses as did Mourinho.

R'hllor

Is there something inherently wrong with being disappointed that the team you support hasn't qualified for the CL?

This has been used as a stick to beat many in this thread over the last few months with a few hardcore Ralf fans regularly insulting and talking down to people for being dumb and not seeing the "bigger picture" or the real reason Ralf was at United. Which apparently wasn't to manage the first team or ensure 4th place. But to conduct audits, make assessments and compile dossiers for his role upstairs. Which obviously all turned out to be a load of speculative bollocks.

Personally I'm not too fussed on United not being in the CL next year I doubt we'd win it. But I am disappointed that by hiring an average past it manager with no plan beyond that we've tanked the season and missed out on CL football which will significantly affect Ten Hag's ability to attract the players he wants here. Already there's been loads of reports that both Nunez and De Jong don't fancy a season in the EL other targets might feel the same. And who could really blame them.
Yes, because top4 is success in their mind, which aint, means feck all for us on footballing side, since SAF we gained nothing from it, some years we didnt even get out of the groups and when we do, we aint more than nothing team vs top teams and when people see what kind of football produce those top teams, light bulb turns on realizing we aint even on the same planet as them.

Here is the best part, they think that CL will give us a chance to sign world class players, that will push us to their level, which is funny with our track record, signing world class that cant sustain us next season for that same CL (like this year, not the first time either), most of them turn out to be pricks and all their world class level ( that never was to begin with) drops to average at best after few months of joining us.

We are not even at phase where adding top players give us that edge to have any chance vs top dogs. Players not joining us due lack of CL, good, we should use non CL season as a filter, we need hunger, desire, sparkled with little bit of quality and not other way around, develop first a proper culture in the squad with fighting spirit, instead spending millions of building squad full with overpaid cnuts that are good only at PR statements on instgram after every embarrasing defeat.

If players dont wanna join us do lack of CL, good, feck them, what happens when those same fecks that have those requirements dont perform during a season which leads to be out of CL for next like this year, are they unhappy, do they want out, do they blame themself for it (highly doubtful) etc. Also, there is a reason why our wage bill is fecking mental, specially when you compare how much value we getting from it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Again, the posts did NOT change based on the manager. The same issues with fitness (and injuries) were current back then.

So your whole point about posts changing makes no sense to me but maybe I'm missing something.
Posts changed based on manager and by same posters. It's really not hard to understand.

Poster X in Dec 2018 - May 2019, Ole is shit, results are poor, fans are giving excuses about fitness.
Same poster X in Nov 2021 - May 2022, can't blame Rangnick, he got team with poor fitness.

How they read the situation is completely different depending on who the manager is, whether they like the manager or the manager who just got sacked.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd say it's substantially less funny than posters who posted stuff like this;

Moved to here;

Comforted themselves with this;

Reframed his role as this;

Doubled down on it;

Admitted defeat;

Before coming back to post this after a win for Austria (After disappearing for weeks)

It's the managerial equivalent of celebrating Harry Maguires header against Albania.
Amazing!

Frank Grimes

Pogba FC and Martial FC were both very weird but this Rangnick love in is on another level. Why can't we all agree on this most basic of facts, Rangnick was a shit coach.
It's alright to believe that both Ole and Rangnick were rubbish. You don't have to stick up for Rangnick just because you wanted Ole out. I wanted Ole out but Rangnick was even worse.

stevoc

Yes, because top4 is success in their mind, which aint, means feck all for us on footballing side, since SAF we gained nothing from it, some years we didnt even get out of the groups and when we do, we aint more than nothing team vs top teams and when people see what kind of football produce those top teams, light bulb turns on realizing we aint even on the same planet as them.
Well I don't know if I'd call it success but coming 4th is better than coming 5th or 6th in our case. I'd hate to think where we'd be as a club if we hadn't managed to qualify for the CL at all post Ferguson.

Here is the best part, they think that CL will give us a chance to sign world class players, that will push us to their level, which is funny with our track record, signing world class that cant sustain us next season for that same CL (like this year, not the first time either), most of them turn out to be pricks and all their world class level ( that never was to begin with) drops to average at best after few months of joining us.

We are not even at phase where adding top players give us that edge to have any chance vs top dogs. Players not joining us due lack of CL, good, we should use non CL season as a filter, we need hunger, desire, sparkled with little bit of quality and not other way around, develop first a proper culture in the squad with fighting spirit, instead spending millions of building squad full with overpaid cnuts that are good only at PR statements on instgram after every embarrasing defeat.
That's pretty much an indisputable fact though mate, being a team who plays in the CL every year/regularly allows you to attract a better calibre of player compared to teams who don't. All top players want to play in the worlds top competition. If a player is at a CL side currently or has offers from teams in the CL why would they go to a club outside the CL like United currently? Money obviously in which case I'd doubt how hungry they'll actually be.

If players dont wanna join us do lack of CL, good, feck them, what happens when those same fecks that have those requirements dont perform during a season which leads to be out of CL for next like this year, are they unhappy, do they want out, do they blame themself for it (highly doubtful) etc. Also, there is a reason why our wage bill is fecking mental, specially when you compare how much value we getting from it.
So we should just keep going down the list of possible targets until we find decent but not great players that don't want too much money so have hunger and that aren't too bothered about playing in the CL and just fill the squad with those players?

Great but what happens when you can't even qualify for the CL because you keep signing EL level players? How do you bridge the gap from 5th-6th to competing for titles without coming 2nd-4th for a few seasons in a row. Liverpool came 4th 2 seasons in a row before challenging for the title in 2019 and winning it in 2020.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Funny that people who have routinely mocked Ralf now want the thread closed after he starts winning with Austria.
"Starts winning". Just been one game! I would like to see a smaller nation like Austria do well. Why not.

But where he rangnick goes on a losing streak or winning streak, he was a failure at Man United simple as that.

crossy1686

career ending
"Starts winning". Just been one game! I would like to see a smaller nation like Austria do well. Why not.

But where he rangnick goes on a losing streak or winning streak, he was a failure at Man United simple as that.
Yeah it’s a strange one, he’ll probably lose the next game and normal service will resume.

I originally posted the tweet from the BBC that had the headline “Austria in impressive win” and a couple of posters took the opportunity to say ‘I told you so, it’s the players, not him’. The next 100 posts were people asking for the thread to be closed and doubling down on him being the shittest manager that’s ever lived while calling anyone who didn’t share that opinion to be a ‘Ragnite’, whatever that is.

He clearly wasn’t good enough for United or probably even club management on the whole but the kick back from Ralf ‘impressively’ winning one game has been pretty amusing.

MalaysianRed7

I don't know that that's necessarily true but if it is it makes sense. Ten Hag has to pick up the pieces of the mess he's inherited from Rangnick (& Solskjaer) and try to put this squad back together. Having a man who has basically bacame a toxic presence like Rangnick still employed by the club and no doubt all too happy to give his opinion on anything United whenever asked in press conferences etc. probably wouldn't be helpful in that endevour.
Firstly, I don’t think Rangnick is the type of guy to give destabilising press conferences when there’s an actual manager there, as dealing with the media wouldn’t be in his job remit then. Also, he would still be working for the club, so it would be absolutely pointless and nothing more than self-defeating.

Also, it’s not easy for a manager to not become a toxic presence with this dressing room. Like a boss in a financial firm working with people who don’t actually know anything about finance and investment, and who are continually looking for him to stab him in the back. I just hope Ten Hag doesn’t face the same fate.

stevoc

Firstly, I don’t think Rangnick is the type of guy to give destabilising press conferences when there’s an actual manager there, as dealing with the media wouldn’t be in his job remit then. Also, he would still be working for the club, so it would be absolutely pointless and nothing more than self-defeating.
Throwing his own players under the bus in his weekly press conferences while he was manager was pretty pointless and self-defeating also, didn't stop him though.

MalaysianRed7

Throwing his own players under the bus in his weekly press conferences while he was manager was pretty pointless and self-defeating also, didn't stop him though.
Not really. The results were just as bad under Ole (Rangnick’s win percentage was 2% lower if I’m not wrong), and Ole couldn’t stop praising them and talking them up in public. It’s just the way this dressing room is.

El Jefe

I'd say it's substantially less funny than posters who posted stuff like this;

Moved to here;

Comforted themselves with this;

Reframed his role as this;

Doubled down on it;

Admitted defeat;

Before coming back to post this after a win for Austria (After disappearing for weeks)

It's the managerial equivalent of celebrating Harry Maguires header against Albania.
And people really try to tell us Rangnites don't exist. That was a laughable read.

R'hllor

Well I don't know if I'd call it success but coming 4th is better than coming 5th or 6th in our case. I'd hate to think where we'd be as a club if we hadn't managed to qualify for the CL at all post Ferguson.

That's pretty much an indisputable fact though mate, being a team who plays in the CL every year/regularly allows you to attract a better calibre of player compared to teams who don't. All top players want to play in the worlds top competition. If a player is at a CL side currently or has offers from teams in the CL why would they go to a club outside the CL like United currently? Money obviously in which case I'd doubt how hungry they'll actually be.

So we should just keep going down the list of possible targets until we find decent but not great players that don't want too much money so have hunger and that aren't too bothered about playing in the CL and just fill the squad with those players?

Great but what happens when you can't even qualify for the CL because you keep signing EL level players? How do you bridge the gap from 5th-6th to competing for titles without coming 2nd-4th for a few seasons in a row. Liverpool came 4th 2 seasons in a row before challenging for the title in 2019 and winning it in 2020.
Same with what happens when you end up being 2nd-3rd add CL level players and end up outside top 4 next season and this season isnt only season in our case. How do you bridge a gap, dunno lets ask Chelsea that went from 2nd to 10th to 1st, if i remember correctly or they were 8th/9th dunno, have to actually check.

All i am saying that in our case, post SAF, we had no real benefits from being in CL, we just wasted money more thats about it. Our league positions were what, from 4th to 5th under LvG, 6th to 2nd, back to 6th then 3rd and 2nd, winning EL that gave us CL spot isnt included and what we got from it player wise, feck all, we ended up with most hated squad in United history.

Look, i am not arguing that CL money or its lure cant be a plus but in our case, with our trand it has no positive impact. The players we attracted and signed either left already with not so big impact on winning big things or we pray for them to leave today because they are overpaid fecks. If we were in CL next season, believe that wouldnt change, we would attract either some type of mercs or wrong type of players for our current situation, at first all will rave, world class this world class that, by first international break we would start wondering why on earth we gave them 200k plus per week etc.

I am just tired of overpaid cnuts that did feck all to earn new contracts on hella increased wages based on fomo, not saying getting young or old hungry players first on normal wages, make them work to improve, increase their value before rewarding them with contract bumps, establish some culture first etc. is the right way, just dont wanna watch a squad where huge majority of them are stealing a living, yes its not my money but thats not the point.

stevoc

Not really. The results were just as bad under Ole (Rangnick’s win percentage was 2% lower if I’m not wrong), and Ole couldn’t stop praising them and talking them up in public. It’s just the way this dressing room is.
Rangnicks win ratio from December to January was around +40% from February to the end of May it went down to 24%. We got worse as the season went on, Rangnick spouting shit in public wasn't the only reason for that of course but I doubt it helped either.

Overall Rangnick's win ratio was 37% in 28 games compared to the 41% in 17 games that seen Solskjaer sacked.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Rangnicks win ratio from December to January was around +40% from February to the end of May it went down to 24%. We got worse as the season went on, Rangnick'sspouting shit in public wasn't the only reason for that of course but I doubt it helped either.
People seem to have missed that for our last 10 games we were 16th in the fecking form table. For over a quarter of a season he literally turned us into a relegation team. By far one of the worst appointments I’ve ever seen at this level and no amount of wins with sodding Austria will change that fact.

stevoc

Same with what happens when you end up being 2nd-3rd add CL level players and end up outside top 4 next season and this season isnt only season in our case. How do you bridge a gap, dunno lets ask Chelsea that went from 2nd to 10th to 1st, if i remember correctly or they were 8th/9th dunno, have to actually check.

All i am saying that in our case, post SAF, we had no real benefits from being in CL, we just wasted money more thats about it. Our league positions were what, from 4th to 5th under LvG, 6th to 2nd, back to 6th then 3rd and 2nd, winning EL that gave us CL spot isnt included and what we got from it player wise, feck all, we ended up with most hated squad in United history.

Look, i am not arguing that CL money or its lure cant be a plus but in our case, with our trand it has no positive impact. The players we attracted and signed either left already with not so big impact on winning big things or we pray for them to leave today because they are overpaid fecks. If we were in CL next season, believe that wouldnt change, we would attract either some type of mercs or wrong type of players for our current situation, at first all will rave, world class this world class that, by first international break we would start wondering why on earth we gave them 200k plus per week etc.

I am just tired of overpaid cnuts that did feck all to earn new contracts on hella increased wages based on fomo, not saying getting young or old hungry players first on normal wages, make them work to improve, increase their value before rewarding them with contract bumps, establish some culture first etc. is the right way, just dont wanna watch a squad where huge majority of them are stealing a living, yes its not my money but thats not the point.
I get what you're saying mate and I agree with a lot of it but I think the problems we've faced post Fergie aren't necessarily because we've not been good enough to win the league and ended up in the Arsenal trap of chasing 4th. I think most of us can agree you could boil it all down to the Glazers trusting Woodward, Woodward not hiring the right managers and/or different styles of managers one after another and then allowing most of those managers free reign to but loads of overpriced shite. Poor running of the club, poor management and poor recruitment.

Considering the sheer amount of money we've spent we really should have built a top squad by now and/or should have won at least 1-2 titles in the last 9 years.

OpenIntrovert

Rangnick was the wrong choice to salvage the season as he is a manager who believes in implementing a system. For a system to work, you need players with the right attributes and also mentally feeling good to listen to instructions. This season, the players were obviously on a mental roller coaster with a lot of fitness and confidence issues, so trying to implement a system and then taking out the players that don't adapt was certainly going to cause chaos. You can see from ETH's and Ole's press conferences that man management is something that is done privately, not in public.

stevoc

People seem to have missed that for our last 10 games we were 16th in the fecking form table. For over a quarter of a season he literally turned us into a relegation team. By far one of the worst appointments I’ve ever seen at this level and no amount of wins with sodding Austria will change that fact.
Yeah I see a lot of people clinging onto Ralf having a slightly higher PPG than Solskjaer this season, ignoring cup games of course, ignoring the cake walk of a first 8-10 games he had and the fact he played more games and more teams in the bottom half.

We were absolutely woeful under Solskjaer this season but there's no sugar coating it we were worse under Ralf. How much of that was his fault? We may never know but there's no way he can come out of that without shouldering a significant portion of the responsibility. People keep mentioning the players downing tools and fair enough but let's be honest here the manager basically did the same around February.

Fluctuation0161

Pogba FC and Martial FC were both very weird but this Rangnick love in is on another level. Why can't we all agree on this most basic of facts, Rangnick was a shit coach.
It's alright to believe that both Ole and Rangnick were rubbish. You don't have to stick up for Rangnick just because you wanted Ole out. I wanted Ole out but Rangnick was even worse.
We hired him to be manager when he should've been DOF or similar. Didn't give him the authority to reign in our primadonna players. So they threw him under the bus just like they eventually did with Ole.

The United

You are ranting about how bad our recruitment (including managers) has been all these years.

It had nothing to do with getting into CL spots. Getting a CL spot always gives an advantage especially when you have to rebuild with a new (hopefully, capable) manager. Otherwise, it will just prolong and have to sign some of the players you mentioned above just to start that cycle again.

R'hllor

You are ranting about how bad our recruitment (including managers) has been all these years.

It had nothing to do with getting into CL spots. Getting a CL spot always gives an advantage especially when you have to rebuild with a new (hopefully, capable) manager. Otherwise, it will just prolong and have to sign some of the players you mentioned above just to start that cycle again.
Not in our case (so far post SAF)

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Yeah I see a lot of people clinging onto Ralf having a slightly higher PPG than Solskjaer this season, ignoring cup games of course, ignoring the cake walk of a first 8-10 games he had and the fact he played more games and more teams in the bottom half.

We were absolutely woeful under Solskjaer this season but there's no sugar coating it we were worse under Ralf. How much of that was his fault? We may never know but there's no way he can come out of that without shouldering a significant portion of the responsibility. People keep mentioning the players downing tools and fair enough but let's be honest here the manager basically did the same around February.

of course we'll now very soon, depending on what the players are going to do next season.

Real Name

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Genuinely surprised to see this thread so high up the home page.

Even though I quite liked Ralf, he's gone. He's yesterday's news. Whatever we say or don't say about him now its much of a muchness. We're done with him (and vice versa). Its all about Ten Hag now.

Mods may wanna thinking about putting this thread in the football forum rather than the United forum. Maybe we should just close this thread and just have a different football forum Rangnick thread?

Lyng

Genuinely surprised to see this thread so high up the home page.

Even though I quite liked Ralf, he's gone. He's yesterday's news. Whatever we say or don't say about him now its much of a muchness. We're done with him (and vice versa). Its all about Ten Hag now.

Mods may wanna thinking about putting this thread in the football forum rather than the United forum. Maybe we should just close this thread and just have a different football forum Rangnick thread?
I have to agree. We should all be focused on Ten Hag now.

SparkedIntoLife

Is this is a me problem? Do I just need to be better at being surrounded by rude and toxic behavior online?
No, it’s not a you problem. It’s a huge issue here. People arguing nastily and rudely over things that ultimately don’t matter much. Ultimately the problem is wider on the internet. Reddit is appalling. Twitter can be a cesspit of flaming and abuse. We should strive to be better, though, and call people out on their unkindness as opposed to points about football we disagree with.

Dare I say this is a society issue. Many people have lost the art of disagreeing well. Everything has to be so personal and tribalistic and nuance is often missing. Politics is a good comparison in this regard. The political climate is both a cause and a reflection of this problem.

I find it ironic that so many are pro mental health awareness but so casually berate people online. And if anyone calls them out on their BS, they are being a snowflake or whatever…

Wow, what an overreaction. Comparing an interim manager's post to American politics? :lol: Yeah I think you're best just lurking if that is what has got you steamed compared to some of the other stuff in here. Grow up!
Case in point.

Anyway, on Rangnick, I actually believe he’s both a genius and a charlatan. He leverages the media for his own gain and obviously does some iffy things. However, whether it’s him directly or through his network, there’s no denying he’s been great at building clubs. The Red Bull clubs are superbly run with a great pipeline of clever signings. He was a revelation at Hoffenheim.

Is he a cutting edge coach? Probably not but like most coaches, he needs the right type of players to fit his style. If he isn’t given power to shape things, of course he’ll fail. I do think he stirred the hornet’s nest recklessly at United. He knocked us down so he could white knight us. His man management was shocking but I think he went in with an agenda to expose the crap so he could fix it. Not saying he deliberately set out to lose but his main focus was on self preservation and perpetuating a narrative of brokenness (which may be fundamentally true).

He got a lot of things right and a lot of things very wrong.

The fuss over his first win is unnecessary though. Same as with England - one loss to Hungary after a tiring season in a nothing match and so many people are calling for him to be sacked after getting us to a European Championship final and World Cup semi.

There’s a bigger debate about whether Southgate’s taken us as far as he can and ultimately he’s limited while this generation of players have true world class potential. Fine. But one loss to Hungary doesn’t invalidate the job he’s done nor mean he suddenly needs sacking. Same as one Austria result not making Ralf a genius or a blithering idiot. Life is more complex than most of these heated arguments would have us believe.

Foxbatt

Just to clarify....he didn't get anything right.
He did get a lot of things right and the most important was that he called a spade a spade. He showed how shite these players have been and had two managers sacked. They ran for 60 mins and then stopped running. If we had got to the CL spot it would cover the cracks and what they did to Ole is going to happen soon. Now there is no place for the players to hide anymore.

justboy68

Like many of us I was super excited at first and I liked his honesty and how he called out the culture at the club and the under performing players ...but yeah, we all have to admit it went to total shit in the end. Regardless, ever since the news of hiring Ten Hag, whatever went on with Rangnick doesn't really matter anymore. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He did get a lot of things right and the most important was that he called a spade a spade. He showed how shite these players have been and had two managers sacked. They ran for 60 mins and then stopped running. If we had got to the CL spot it would cover the cracks and what they did to Ole is going to happen soon. Now there is no place for the players to hide anymore.
He's just a shite man manager and that was an obvious risk when bringing in a manager with no top level experience.

Handling the egos is part of the gig. And given how uninterested multiple proven top players seemed to have been he was shite at it.

Cavani, Pogba, Shaw, Rashford, Bruno, Varane, Ronaldo have all shown they can be good players. They've all been uninterested and "injured" with the exception of Ronaldo.

The common narrative on this forum is that these players must be shit, but some of their performances in the not so distant past say otherwise...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Which two managers got sacked?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
*sigh* still peddling that myth. How exactly did he show how shite the players have been? Stating the obvious in a post-match press conference after your team, that you set up and trained was getting turned over on a regular basis is not getting things right.

::sonny::

In fairness, the wording of the tweet isn't really accurate. We were never going to sign 10 players in one summer. No club does that.
Out
1. Henderson
2. Bissaka
3. Jones
4. Bailly
5. Telles?
6. Matic
7. Mata
8. Lingard
9. Cavani
10. Martial
11. Greenwood
12. Pogba

Who replace this players?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Why would Man United need to sound out, let alone listen to, the opinion of a "Premier League executive" about what interim manager they want to hire? Bizarre reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.