Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezpeza

Nope. There's absolutely no way Klopp would get these players to press
he wouldnt. Players arent suited to it. But thats why RR is a clown. Would be a bit like taking Man City over mid season and deciding your main tactic was to play route 1. Its not the players, its your delusion in how you are going to play the players at your disposal in a system they will
Not be suited to

The United

And yet he was talked up as a saviour and lauded as being a tactical genius at the beginning, based on what he was saying in interviews and implementing on the pitch. Under the same conditions. Maybe people just got carried away with the hype about a manager they really knew very little about?
That's all it is really. Almost no one knows who the heck this guy was when we started linking him.

Can't really blame them too much because they are looking for someone to save us at that point, like anyone at all. But, it is just amusing that they are also defending him now like he was SAF or something. This guy has not done anything for the club yet.

Jezpeza

Given the fact he has been calling out the lack of physicality and aggression on and off the ball. Clearly the players are no listening to him
you cant build fitness mid season. He needed to do something different

Roboc7

Agree with the bold part. Amazing how we forget how serious some of our bad spells were under him and yet we bounced back and some times spectacularly so. He had the ability to bounce back and we needed that this season. We made a mistake sacking him mid season with RR if we hoped for top 4. Ole was not good enough but he was the best chance to get top 4. As strange as it might sound.
The players had given up under Ole, he was done. This is what always happens when someone else fails all of a sudden the last guy was actually the solution. The problem is Rangnick has ended up just like Ole, the only difference is Rangnick isn’t accountable for putting all this together but Ole is.

Said when Ole left the culture at the club was worst it’s been and I’ve been proven right. His cultural reboot was an unmitigated disaster and I imagine we’d be even lower in table if he’d stayed.

estel_manutd

Everton - who played on Wednesday - ran 10 km more than United in a game where we were chasing for > 60 minutes. How is that possible? No way that is on the manager.

Sylar

Do we not have any Youngsters we can put in until end of the season?

Season is done and they won't be perfect but they will work hard and try. They surely wont be out worked and run
Unless the plan is to ensure no Europe at all, which if that is the case, it's going well

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
you cant build fitness mid season. He needed to do something different
Its not just about fitness surely you understand that? We have forwards who won’t even challege for headers (Rashford being the main culprit)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They would but you would see a gradual improvement in their idea. That has not happened with Ralf. If anything, we are almost going backward.
I dont think we would. If they were only here for 6 months, nope.

If permanent then sure. But then again if Ralf was permanent wed see a different attitude from the squad too.

city-puma

The way we play? What way should we play? the Ole way? The Jose way? These players are a big problem and thats a fact. Rangnick hasn’t done a good job I agree but there is a lot wrong with this squad
That is what Ralf supposed to find out, right? Are you thinking players will find that by their own? You can only say the way Ralf let them play doesn’t suit our squad, also the league. That’s why it doesn’t work out.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
DDG dropping truth bombs, just a lack of desire from the players. It is on RR to motivate the players and it strikes me that is probably one of the main qualities he might be weaker in. Nevertheless, you combine that with the fact the players all know full well he is gone and what chance even is there?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
This thread's a cesspit. If anyone is honestly attempting to pin the blame on Rangnick, then they haven't got a clue at all.

Loon

:lol:
He’s been giving a job he’s not qualified for (and not the actual one he was hired for) and has had one hand tied behind his back the entire time.

I doubt even an experienced short-term firefighter like Hiddink could have got this squad going, but it might have been a better (and more expensive) solution and just let Rangnick do what he was hired for.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He’s been giving a job he’s not qualified for (and not the actual one he was hired for) and has had one hand tied behind his back the entire time.

I doubt even an experienced short-term firefighter like Hiddink could have got this squad going, but it might have been a better (and more expensive) solution and just let Rangnick do what he was hired for.
Exactly, I’ve no idea why we brought him in for something we didn’t want him to do long-term.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you should firstly think what is the responsibility of a football manager.
From what I saw, the players always try to give their all. The problem is the way we play just doesn’t work at all. Is it so difficult to understand?
They weren't though. Rashford was walking, Matic was often casually robbed, Maguire couldn't pass a bakery. The off the ball work again was lacking, the movement was static. This isn't what Ralf coaches, but we know for a fact the players have checked out.

This is why I point primary blame on the players. I am not saying Ralf is faultless by the way. He too is out of his depth in areas, but "primary" issue is the squad right now.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
DDG dropping truth bombs, just a lack of desire from the players. It is on RR to motivate the players and it strikes me that is probably one of the main qualities he might be weaker in. Nevertheless, you combine that with the fact the players all know full well he is gone and what chance even is there?
If there is no desire to play for the team or the fans then they can all feck off, Ralf was handicapped from the start.

Cassidy

That is what Ralf supposed to find out, right? Are you thinking players will find that by their own? You can only say the way Ralf let them play doesn’t suit our squad, also the league. That’s why it doesn’t work out.
No Ralfs job was to get us till the end of the season whilst we hire the person to sort this out

Cassidy

Pretty much.

stevoc

You make a valid point. However, I think if exposing them was the objective, he’s made his point and should now take drastic action. I don’t see them getting any more “exposed”
I would have thought coming 4th and qualifying for the CL would have been his objective.

Castia

You’re a fool if you think Ralf is the problem

He must be telling them to walk around and put effort in

Loon

Exactly, I’ve no idea why we brought him in for something we didn’t want him to do long-term.
I-once suggested it was a cost-saving idea and was poo-poohed.

I believe it now. It was because these idiots thought even Rangnick can get them top four even with his rustiness.

Great gamble, boys.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The same old shite has been happening here under numerous managers. The real problem lies with the dross out on the pitch, it’s a cop out to just pin this all on one man. It’s exactly what these shower of bastards wearing the shirt are hoping for.
Yes, the manager should beat no responsibility for how his team performs.

stevoc

Exactly. His only job is to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves ie relegation, or losing to the likes of Watford. They aren't his players so he essentially gets a free run till the summer when he moves up.
We've been worse since he took over though and we were never in any danger of being relegated.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
These players were offering up the same dull, lifeless, lethargic, I couldn't give a shit displays under Ole too.

It's very much the players.

Loon

It’s been a disaster, but I still want him to do the job he was brought in to do.

Longshanks

Looks like a really poor appointment, the players don't like him, they clearly don't play for him. Which is the minimum requirement for an interim manager, get something out of the players. There is enough talent in the squad to finish top 4 and maybe with a bit of luck go on a cup run.

Instead he has managed to destroy to confidence of the players and shown very limited tactical knowledge so that we are now worse than what we were under Ole. Its not as if you could even say we have run out of steam, we never got going under him in the first place.

Anyway season is done. Hopefully an exciting new regime to look forward to next season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, he's clearly not that good as a manager and that's why he never manage a big club. The only thing good about Ralf is that he's a sporting director with knowledge of football to run football club with nice idea and proven with finding good players in recruitment. Losing to Everton when they are in poor form and had game in midweek is just very low for any manager who is managing top club. He had more preparation to prepare for this game than Lampard.

pascell

Do you even realise the irony in what you're writing?

"Fotball is a results based business"

We have won 1 game in 7.

And you're saying the manager has no blame in this whatsoever. Absolute state of this deluded fanbase.
Imagine thinking the team has won 1 in 7 because of the manager :lol: "Absolute state of this deluded fanbase" indeed.

city-puma

Imagine you work under a new manager. Every project in the job needs to be delivered as quickly as possible. The new manager ask you and your colleagues do the project in a way he believes. You and your teammates try to follow the guide but one project after another you guys just find out it doesn’t work out and have no chance to really work out.
That is what happens here as I would imagine.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If the results aren't Rangnicks's fault why does anyone believe things will change under the next guy?

bdspeedy

Owners and players are a disgrace. F the lot of them. Woodward and the Glazers have drained this club and milked dry any semblance of true pride, dignaty and quality that tool decades to build up. Disneyland FC? Now we're just f-ing Goofy.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
who Said he was a top manager? No one has ever said that, he has been out of the managerial loop so to speak. It was stated quite clearly that he was brought in as an interim until the end of the season and would then move upstairs, please tell me…….who of note which manager would come in until the end of the season and if they had one, tarnish their reputation and belittle themselves on a short term contract knowing that someone that the club regarded better than then was coming in to replace them. This lot are punching well above their weight at United and it’s is much easier for them to say that the manger doesn’t have a clue rather than them being gutless and talentless.AWB Maguire etc are what I see as dinosaur footballers, the game has evolved so much technically and this lot can not evolve with it. Talent and skill aside this lot don’t even have any fight, look around us in the table and you will see far less talented sides but at least they are showing up to fight.
Our issue - as RR has repeatedly stated and is obvious to anyone with eyes - is our entire lack of intensity and physicality off the ball. We had 83% pass completion today. Everton’s was in the 60s. We had Pogba, Bruno, sancho and mata on the pitch. It isn’t a fecking technical issue. It isn’t a Harry fecking Maguire issue. It’s the fact we have zero sprints in behind, everyone comes to feet and we don’t work hard enough as a collective off the ball. And RR was regarded as a top coach who would implement a style. feck me if I’ve seen any evidence of that. Let’s hope the next choice of the E-reds turns out better.

city-puma

Everton - who played on Wednesday - ran 10 km more than United in a game where we were chasing for > 60 minutes. How is that possible? No way that is on the manager.
My read of this number is that our players do not know what to do.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Why are people are going on about Ole if Ralf isn't doing well. There were so many options to pick from for interim in the first place to save this season

I was happy picking Ralf, but my word his BIGGEST fault is still picking the same trash that Ole did and playing a similar style. I genuinely thought he'd be ruthless and different. In hindsight, we should have picked an interim who was more ruthless.
I guess some people will always be enamoured with the romantic notion of a United legend from the days of yore who will bring back the glory days. And, truth be told, a lot of the criticism on here became rather vitriolic at some point. So, some feel the need to point out that we can do even worse without him. Not the best line of defence for the man (who had his good moments), but his position had become indefensible toward the end of his tenure. For what it's worth, i don't believe he would have turned it around, either. One of the main reasons for this season's collapse was that we had prepared, both in the market and mentally, to push for better things. But when the planning on the pitch fails spectacularly, it's never easy to go back to the mindset that what you have in front of you is another lacklustre year. I believe that it was obvious in his farewell interview, how disappointed he was that all these hopes didn't materialize. Most of the squad must feel the same.

As for your second point, i think you're being unfair toward RR. He wasn't allowed to bring anyone in, but had to work with what he had instead. Given that, unlike Mourinho and due to his respect for the club, Solskjaer didn't try to sabotage himself by turning the dressing room into a wasteland of toxicity, it was always hard to expect a similar new manager's bounce. It's quite possible that a better manager, like Conte, would have managed to steer the ship into a top-four finish. But we didn't go for Conte, so that's only crying over spilled milk.

We tried to change things on the pitch by changing both our first choice full backs, made Sancho a mainstay on our "strong" left side (the one we rely on mostly to set moves) and introduced Elanga to the first team. None of which paid the dividends we expected. And now, here we are. I just hope we announce ETH as soon as possible. Other than that, his remarks about the qualities we lack and prohibit us from becoming a good modern side are IMHO correct. It's for the next guy to fix them come next season.

Cloud7

When we signed Ralf I didn’t have very high expectations for the rest of the season despite what a good game he talked, because he’s shown that his best role is above the manager, not as the manager. That being said, with expectations as low as they were, he’s still managed to be a disappointment (not in isolation, along with the players) which in itself is quite remarkable. I can’t even tell if the results have improved from Ole’s time this season.

Bring on next season and the new manager.

Ralph1386

There's been no change, Ralf plays exactly the same formation as Ole, and selects players regardless of form. Painful to watch
He tried to implement a pressing 4-2-2-2 formation but not all the players were cooperating or listening to him, so he took them back to their “comfort zone” which was the 4-2-3-1. I agree with you that he should have dropped some underperforming players like Maguire and McTominay.

Ragnick is not a great manager by any stretch and shouldn’t get the full-time job. However, he got dealt a bad hand, between a board that wanted to throw the season away, and players who mentally checked out.

R'hllor

You cant say that he faultless, thats just crazy, he had a decision to make after seeing with what he was dealing with, he made a wrong one, simple.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I say just ride it out through gritted teeth and hope for a change of direction next season. There is a serious lack of pride in the club, desperately need to sign a few lion-hearts in the summer. I don't blame Ralf and he strikes me as an intelligent guy but he doesn't appear to get the players motivated. I think there in a section the dressing room that don't care if they win or lose. So badly need some characters in there to inspire the rest.

The United

I dont think we would. If they were only here for 6 months, nope.

If permanent then sure. But then again if Ralf was permanent wed see a different attitude from the squad too.
He was not hired to be a permanent manager in the first place because everyone including himself knew that he just is not that good in that position. His motivation and PR skills, and even staff ( not enough choices, etc) are not up to the standard from 'the short term' I have seen for us in this situation.

Carrick should have stayed till the end and it would not have been much worse while sorting off-field issues out behind the scenes. Now, the atmosphere is more toxic due to a stranger with so much (false) hype coming in and not improving a damn thing, so it feels more hopeless. Obviously, once again, the fault lies with the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.