Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Hoping his work behind the scenes will be looked upon as very positive. We won't know this for sure for months down the road.

His impact on the players and our season is a big fail for me. Tactics, team selections and in game management has been as bad as I have seen post ferguson ....he simply hasn't had any positive impact as a coach

tomaldinho1

I fully understand how a properly run football club operates. I am not sure what you guys think that has to do with how Manchester United operates. Ralf came in with a plan, immediately tried to implement it, and within a month was back to Ole ball with the exact players Ole used, with no one understanding how Maguire, Rashford, McTominey, Shaw, and Wan-Bissaka are still playing regularly. Again, I know what these roles are in other clubs, I know how things are supposed to work, but I reitterate, with complete confidence in what I am saying, there is no way Ralf is managing this team without outside influence, whether it's fletcher, Murtough, Arnold, Joel Glazer, I don't know, but I know one of the most respected men in the world of football is smart enough to see that Maguire should be nowhere near this team.
There’s a more simple explanation as to why those players are playing, everyone else is injured or even shitter.

Strootman's Finger

There’s a more simple explanation as to why those players are playing, everyone else is injured or even shitter.

Bailly and Jones have been available most of the time Ralf has been here, excluding AFCON. Lindelof did briefly come in for Maguire, and was playing much better than him, but lost his place to him when he got burgaled and had to miss a game. Dalot was one of our standout performers in the first couple months of Ralf, and for no reason he switched back to AWB. Shaw has been shit this year, Telles has offered up more at times and probably deserved a lot of the starting spots Shaw took. Fair enough Rashford has survived by a lack of competition, but he's been bad enough things should have been tried other than just picking him and hoping he will sort himself out.

El Jefe

Its all well and good him pointing out why everyone is so bad but he needs to point at himself too.

Comfortably the worst manager post SAF. Say what you want about the players but Rangnick hasn't made a single improvement to a team that was already terrible.

He's failed at all facets of management here. Tactics, man management, fitness, even his decision to loan out players was brain dead. He only shows up in press conferences, he's a dinosaur that's all bark and no bite.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has explained what exactly? That it is not a "pre season friendly" that's not an explanation to me. And don't say it's a toxic time or environment, it's toxic to sit on that bench and watch someone like Pogba and Lingard get minutes while being absolute shit, and how they don't give a damn.
Everyone looks poor because the side as a unit is not working. You drop a kid into that they will also struggle especially in midfield

tomaldinho1

Bailly and Jones have been available most of the time Ralf has been here, excluding AFCON. Lindelof did briefly come in for Maguire, and was playing much better than him, but lost his place to him when he got burgaled and had to miss a game. Dalot was one of our standout performers in the first couple months of Ralf, and for no reason he switched back to AWB. Shaw has been shit this year, Telles has offered up more at times and probably deserved a lot of the starting spots Shaw took. Fair enough Rashford has survived by a lack of competition, but he's been bad enough things should have been tried other than just picking him and hoping he will sort himself out.
Since Ragnick arrived. AWB has been benched/left out 12 times (9PL, 1CL, 2 FA). Dalot for comparison has been benched 6 times (5PL, 1CL). Ragnick has preferred him on about every game possible so far. There was only one period (Leeds, Watford, City) where he lost his place in consecutive games but then he’s had it since bar Everton, so 1 out of the last 5 PL games he’s not started.

Telles literally is Ragnick’s first choice LB, until yesterday he’d started or featured in a run of 6 games in a row. Ragnick’s has only not used him in 7 games across all comps.

Rashford has been dropped, he’s been a sub or been subbed in every single gameuntil yesterday since Newcastle on 27th December 2021…you’re right there isn’t much competition but Elanga’s had loads of time and even Lingard and Mata have had cameos.

Jones was almost dead yesterday so it’s clear he’s not fit. Bailly is the only one I’d agree with as he’s supposedly fit and I have no idea why he isn’t playing given Maguire’s form but I think it’s hardly true what you’ve said above.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You are right, we were brilliant before he took over.....oh no wait, we were getting hammered 4-1 by Watford, my mistake.

I see you are still in the "our squad is much better than this" phase of grief. Good luck riding that pony.
I'm quoting this post so people get a chance to read it again.

We need to accept that the players simply aren't good enough to play high-intensity football, which is now a requirement to win at the highest level.
When RR first arrived, he instructed them to play the geggenpress. That lasted for 30 minutes against Crystal Palace (the fans loved it) and then it was scrapped because the players told him that they got too tired.
He also tried the 4 2 2 2 system...which our players could not adapt to.
In the end, we had to revert back to Ole-ball because that's all these players could do.
What do you think a manage can do when players are so crap that they are unable to press for more than 30 minutes and are unable to change formation?

Do I blame RR? Nope. The players are absolutely crap and we are still using Ole's coaches, most of whom are not good enough to coach an EPL side. RR was unable to bring in his own coaching staff.
He has Fletcher as his assistant. What experience does Fletcher have?

RR was set up to fail and he has now given his assessment. Yesterday, he basically said that we need about 9 new players (ie. a new first team). No doubt, he has told the board this, too.

When ETH arrives, he MUST be allowed to bench/isolate/sell any player he chooses. That includes our worst defender - captain Maguire.
And hopefully, he will be the one responsible for hiring/firing coaches. I'd be quite happy for him to fire our entire coaching staff (bar GK coaches) and start from scratch.

OrcaFat

I'm quoting this post so people get a chance to read it again.

We need to accept that the players simply aren't good enough to play high-intensity football, which is now a requirement to win at the highest level.
When RR first arrived, he instructed them to play the geggenpress. That lasted for 30 minutes against Crystal Palace (the fans loved it) and then it was scrapped because the players told him that they got too tired.
He also tried the 4 2 2 2 system...which our players could not adapt to.
In the end, we had to revert back to Ole-ball because that's all these players could do.
What do you think a manage can do when players are so crap that they are unable to press for more than 30 minutes and are unable to change formation?

Do I blame RR? Nope. The players are absolutely crap and we are still using Ole's coaches, most of whom are not good enough to coach an EPL side. RR was unable to bring in his own coaching staff.
He has Fletcher as his assistant. What experience does Fletcher have?

RR was set up to fail and he has now given his assessment. Yesterday, he basically said that we need about 9 new players (ie. a new first team). No doubt, he has told the board this, too.

When ETH arrives, he MUST be allowed to bench/isolate/sell any player he chooses. That includes our worst defender - captain Maguire.
And hopefully, he will be the one responsible for hiring/firing coaches. I'd be quite happy for him to fire our entire coaching staff (bar GK coaches) and start from scratch.
Yes ETH must have complete control of incomings and outgoings (within whatever budget he gets). I don’t think he’ll want to get rid of all of them. I also don’t think he’ll want to get rid of Maguire - he’ll try and get him back to form first.

I fear it will be a gradual evolution rather than the revolution most of us would prefer. Job 1 is to get one or two elite midfielders and see what that does for the performances of players elsewhere on the pitch.

My money is on a steady three-year rebuild which ends with the realisation that a new manager and another rebuild is needed. That’s Glazerball.

DSG

I like you positivity but I don't see this happen unless we change lot more then 2-3 players.

Rangnick can fade and be manager for div 5 team in Island for all I care. It doesn't make him bad manager.
Only option is to be positive.

I do think that prime SAF would get this squad to top 4, maybe ahead of Chelsea. Tuchel, Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti, Lopetegui, Gaultier, Emery, Pochettino, Conte, Allegri, hopefully Ten Hag would have them easily in the top 4, way ahead of Arsenal and Spurs. I suppose it doesn’t really matter how good or bad Ralf is, (I lean towards abysmal), the fact is that he’s not good enough to get us into the top 4, so he’s just not good enough, period.

Would give my left nut for Ten Hag to start tomorrow.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
For three games. The sample size is far too small to make any kind of meaningful comparison with Ralf. Who is to say that Carrick wouldn't have performed worse given equal run of games? There's no way to know, and so, really, it's not a helpful comparison.
If Ralf had had 3 good games you would have a point.

Hoof the ball

That's flawed at best.

There is simply no way to prove that Carrick's three-game tenure is indicative of any long-term performance/result yield. Any attempt to project that three-game run into a long-term outcome is pure guess work. He very easily could have had a worse run, but alas, with a three game sample size, that too, cannot be proven, so it's redundant.

Ralf's issues are his own.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Laughable isn't it, the guys been here since early December and we can't point to 3 decent performances under him. Christ I can't even think of 1

stevoc

I fully understand how a properly run football club operates. I am not sure what you guys think that has to do with how Manchester United operates. Ralf came in with a plan, immediately tried to implement it, and within a month was back to Ole ball with the exact players Ole used, with no one understanding how Maguire, Rashford, McTominey, Shaw, and Wan-Bissaka are still playing regularly. Again, I know what these roles are in other clubs, I know how things are supposed to work, but I reitterate, with complete confidence in what I am saying, there is no way Ralf is managing this team without outside influence, whether it's fletcher, Murtough, Arnold, Joel Glazer, I don't know, but I know one of the most respected men in the world of football is smart enough to see that Maguire should be nowhere near this team.
He went back to the way United had been playing because he didn't have the ability/time/players or a combination of any or all of those things to implement a new style of play and formation mid season when the club needed to get points on the board. He played Maguire because of injuries, Rashford hasn't started that many games since January, McTominay plays because of a lack of alternatives and Shaw plays because Telles is worse. Dalot has pretty much been preferred to AWB despite being wank and arguably a worse player.

What did you think he was going to do walk in and for some odd reason decide to never start players who featured regularly under Solskajer?

but I reitterate, with complete confidence in what I am saying, there is no way Ralf is managing this team without outside influence,
This might shock you mate but no manager manages their teams without outside influence or advice from assistants.

Why would ''one of the most respected men in the world of football'' agree to manage a club if he wouldn't even have the authority to pick the team?

Trophy Room

I think Carrick would have got us top 4 easily. The system/style that RR plays isn’t suited to the players that we have.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I do think that prime SAF would get this squad to top 4, maybe ahead of Chelsea. Tuchel, Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti, Lopetegui, Gaultier, Emery, Pochettino, Conte, Allegri, hopefully Ten Hag would have them easily in the top 4, way ahead of Arsenal and Spurs. I suppose it doesn’t really matter how good or bad Ralf is, (I lean towards abysmal), the fact is that he’s not good enough to get us into the top 4, so he’s just not good enough, period.
If they had a full season, especially with a pre-season, I agree. Most of them are probably better managers than Rangnick is if that were the only important thing. But even with that I'm not sure if they'd have been able to get top four if they were to come in half way though the season with a playing group that is obviously mentally broken.

We obviously hoped Rangnick would be able to get us top 4, so there will be disappointment that it looks like that won't happen. But what he brings that none of those managers you mentioned does is experience at successfully building the entire footballing side of a club. Which we are obviously looking to tap into after this season, with this experience of managing the team giving Rangnick a first-hand viewing of what needs to be done. The hope is that this will put us in a stronger position long-term than just hiring Conte (the best available manager at the time) would have, as Conte would have just done his usual couple of seasons and left.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Laughable isn't it, the guys been here since early December and we can't point to 3 decent performances under him. Christ I can't even think of 1
It’s weird, I think Ralf has been an awful manager. Last night was a prime example, three at the back out of nowhere was an odd choice. Then putting Dalot on the left as a wing back. Unsurprisingly TAA and Salah were all over that. Then at half time giving up on that idea and switching to a back 4 but keeping Telles on the bench. And why would you bench Sancho, who’s been your one bright light in a team of darkness!

He maybe a great DoF but Ralf has been a shit manager at United.

RedIan

A Manager has to be judged on results and performances. Results under RR have not been good enough and performances have gotten steadily worse to the point of embarrassingly pathetic, he seems to have alienated half the team, clearly A poor motivator and poor man manager.
He may yet prove to have the vision on how to take the club forward but his big mistake imo is saying the teams not good enough whilst there was/ is still top 4 to be fought for. The shithouse players down tooled when he started With those comments, even if they were leaked comments they became common knowledge. Very poor judgement on his part. Maybe it’s a German thing??

Ted Lasso

This is where you may have been wrong. Most fans accept him as to what he is. It is the Ole In crowd that has got their knickers in a twist because their favorite has been sacked and Ralf has taken over and is calling out the past. It does not matter if it is Ralf Rangnick. It could have been Hanis Flick or even Jurgen Klopp. They would still call them out because they have not been an instant success and their idol has been replaced. It has got nothing to do with Ralf.
Might we'll be. Hard to tell when a lot of the noise is from what you're suggesting is the minority. The reply below is quite absurd - they definitely don't get it and they're quite vocal about it

Submarine Chief

What's the protocol if the guy you bring in to get the ship home safely, instead starts sinking the ship as Rangnick seems to be doing?
apologies for the delay. I had run out of posts.
I have never heard of that happening in the US Navy. Those guys get selected because they are already proven experts at their job. But that doesn’t really apply here. A lot more football managers get relieved than Navy ship captains.

Also, I know it’s tough to adjust, and perception is different for all of us, but I wouldn’t call our ship sinking. We have a leak and despite all the angst, we are only 3 points back. I know it’s probably out of reach now, but no matter you can’t really claim that it’s as bad as a ship sinking. People drown and such. Maybe it would be more appropriate if we were facing relegation. Sure, people drowning and relegation are close to the same thing.

I don’t think people understand the situation correctly. Still, a lot of people feel, as one guy put it yesterday, “it’s like blaming the babysitter for your kids behavior.”

I see many are dismayed at the personnel selection especially with McQuire. Although this situation is special, I think there is a very specific reason for it.

Dont mind me if I get a few details fuzzy. I’m still a bit new to football. Ownership has a huge problem. They created it themselves or at least helped to. They have a way underperforming team and a HUGELY bloated payroll. I’m assuming since they have been creating this for years, they realize they made it so they probably don’t know how to unmake it. They don’t have the experience so they bring in a guy. A guy to critique, catalog and document, and try to identify what the next step should be.
So here is RR. Very direct German. I know that’s rare.
One of the biggest problems appears to be that the guy they just paid $81 million (is that number right? And is it dollars or pounds?). Well that guy isn’t looking good at all and to make it way worse, we made him team Captain. And I’m thinking, but not truly sure, that making the National Team for the World Cup is a big deal.

Now if he gets benched here for poor play, they would need to strip him of the band also. And with both of those things in mind, I’m guess that his status with the National Team might be questioned.

The big problem for the interim manager becomes, how does he make his bosses actually believe that they made an $81 million dollar mistake and if they do something about it’s going to be very hard and have far broader consequences. I tend to want to get these things right. So if I’m a nerd of a German, I know that I have two choices. I can bench him as soon as I realized how dire the situation is, and then hear for the rest of the year what an IDIOT I am for benching one of our stars and team captain and National team member. And I don’t think that my bosses are going to appreciate my decision. Myself, I don’t think I want to do that. I don’t want to tell everyone up the chain that they aren’t very smart and they have to eat 81 million dollars. Or is it pounds?

So if I’m Ralf I would figure I am stuck. I GOT to play him. I got to play him A LOT. I have to play him until it becomes a household fact that our star isn’t cutting it. I need the top pundits telling my bosses they are idiots before I am going to. And I am going to have the highlight reels and statistics to back it all up. The very best statistics!

If you don’t do this and you went with plan A, MCQuire will be here next year and you won’t.

The more the money, the bigger the rep and the longer the contract….
The more you need to show everyone how right you are. You give most of all of them enough rope to hang themselves.

If you want to fix the problem, you have to change the culture from ownership down. It’s hard to blame ownership but we do anyway. But when you realize that they kind of did their job. They supplied HUGE amounts of money. The other problem is way worse. Cheap ownership just trying to make a buck is a much more difficult problem to solve. It takes generations. They just didn’t spend smartly and that could be on them also.

I think ownership’s main difficulty is they CAN’T make this mistake again. They need to know what’s going on inside that dressing room, and exactly where the problems are out on the pitch.
I have no real thoughts on that.
But they need to get this right or they are going to be cutting the wrong guys and rewarding the wrong guys and making the problems much worse and years longer to fix. Hard workers don’t like getting blamed for a problem that isn’t theirs. It’s kind of a big de-motivator, we might have some of that going on right now.

It is going to be very interesting to watch how they go about it.

Last edited:

DevilRed

Disaster of an interim manager.

Hasn't got a clue how to motivate or organise a team with this type of talent.

Having said that, half our players are egotistical assholes who down tools.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
His hiring was with the intention of being a behind the scenes consultant after the fact.
This is a narrative with very little backing behind it.

"I am excited to be joining Manchester United and focused on making this a successful season for the club,” he said. “The squad is full of talent and has a great balance of youth and experience. All my efforts for the next six months will be on helping these players fulfil their potential, both individually and, most importantly, as a team." - Ralf Rangnick per The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ited-confirm-ralf-rangnick-as-interim-manager
Ralf Rangnick made clear the extent of his future consultancy role at Manchester United would depend on the club’s new manager.
Rangnick [...] said he would discuss his two-year consultancy contract at the end of the season.
“I have told them how I see the current squad and what needs to happen in my opinion. The rest I cannot answer now because it depends on the new manager. If he is interested and willing to speak about that and interested in my opinion, I will need to wait and see what happens.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-ten-hag-ajax-donny-van-de-beek-b2054372.html
Manchester United have still not internally outlined the nature of Ralf Rangnick’s consultancy role, but Sky Sports News has been told it is "not envisaged to be very hands-on".
The notion Rangnick could operate as a loose version of a sporting director
, helping John Murtough and Darren Fletcher knit a solid strategy behind the scenes, has been labelled "hugely unlikely."
https://www.skysports.com/football/...co-pochettino-and-erik-ten-hag-lead-shortlist
They hired him to manage the club until the end of the season. That is his actual responsiblity. Any future responsiblities are loose and undefined and not even definitive.

He had a three-year contract at Lokomotiv before he joined. To drop it, they had to offer him something more than just a six-month contract. Pretty simple stuff.

pascell

Sam Wallace has done a solid write up of what Rangnick has faced at United.

The senior players have their own ideas how we should be playing, leading to them failing to take on Rangnicks tactics.

Fletcher was told to stop shouting instructions from the sideline by Rangnick. He was also surprised with Fletcher partaking in training.

His comment about being six years behind Liverpool hasn't gone down well at board level, with them feeling we can bridge the gap much sooner.

So we basically have players who feel they know better tactics than the manager, our Technical Director having his go at rallying the troops and takes part in training and our board feel they know better at squad building than someone who's been there and done it successfully.

Nothing has changed within the club, rotten to the core.

MUFC OK

Rangnick should have been brought in as DoF and we should have given it to Carrick until the end of the season, in hindsight.

Obiorahking_

Fletcher was told to stop shouting instructions from the sideline by Rangnick. He was also surprised with Fletcher partaking in training.

His comment about being six years behind Liverpool hasn't gone down well at board level, with them feeling we can bridge the gap much sooner.

So we basically have players who feel they know better tactics than the manager, our Technical Director having his go at rallying the troops and takes part in training and our board feel they know better at squad building than someone who's been there and done it successfully.
this is horrendous if true. what the actual feck is flecther doing at training??

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't get this. The six years include a rebuild, the best ever PL runner up, a CL and a PL title. It's not like it takes six years to that level, it was more like two years and since then constantly challenging for big titles

RiqCantona

Deservedly so. Glad to see you’re up to speed.
So we should sack Rangnick as well for failure to qualify for the CL... oh wait...

Clearly his job description wasn't only about achieving results and UCL. It was about the overhaul the squad and club needed. Whether we like it or not, he was always going to be leaving in May. He failed of course as a manager, but there's no point in dissecting that past May. I don't think clubs will hire him as a manager anytime soon.

crossy1686

career ending
Rangnick should have been brought in as DoF and we should have given it to Carrick until the end of the season, in hindsight.
How many times do we have to go through this? Carrick wanted to leave, he only stuck around because they told him there would be an interim in within 3 games.

Rajma

The senior players have their own ideas how we should be playing, leading to them failing to take on Rangnicks tactics.

It’s really difficult to hold off from the insults when you read this type of information knowing full well that with us this is likely to actually be true. Just give ETH and Rangnick carte blanche and I guarantee you in two years we’ll be completely transformed into a modern and progressive club. They finally have some actual professionals at the club just listen to them and stop being offended when you have made a mockery of this club for the last decade.

Elcabron

I can see both sides tbf.

Our squad is definitely better than it has shown this season, but it is still miles off of City & Pool.

Should Ralf be getting better from them? Absolutely.

He's had 5 months basically and you'd imagine it should be enough to see some kind of improvement but if anything its getting worse by the game. Not that any of it really matters cause the season was pretty much a write off in November with Ole's sacking.
Yeah I know what you mean. The other big point I would mention is that Ralph is an interim, the players have always know this and I think that really has worked against him. I think it would be a different story if he was appointed in say June on a 5 year contract but I guess we will never know.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Do you remember how toxic it was with Carrick? Idiots around here were hoping we would lose games in case we appointed him.

AndySmith1990

But Rangnick is useless for not overhauling it all within 6 months as an interim...

I get that he's not improved anything, but I don't understand how anyone can point the finger solely at him when we are all aware of how poor the structure is at the club. We're at a point where simply changing manager won't make much difference; so much more needs to change from top to bottom. Rangnick will benefit us in that regard as he knows how to operate a successful football club.

MUFC OK

Do you remember how toxic it was with Carrick? Idiots around here were hoping we would lose games in case we appointed him.
I mean, he got 3 decent results and the mood was pretty good after the Arsenal game and the players were fighting for the shirt. I'll admit I thought the performance away to Chelsea was cowardly, but my god I'd have taken that at Anfield.

I also thought Carrick conducted himself really well in interviews, didn't make anything positive about him and, sounds crazy, but looked like a manager on the touchline. The reasons most wanted Rangnick were more to do with his DoF abilities than managerial, which he's hardly done in the past decade to be fair.

Edit: If Carrick genuinely wanted out, then I guess it wasn't an option.

Laurencio

We can, if we give Ten Hag the best of the best coaches in Europe, invest heavily in modernising and let Ten Hag (well the recruitment staff) buy and get rid of players at will for 2 years straight.

If they think we can do anything without a total rebuild they are delusional.

Bestietom

Well, it depends what you mean by 'better'.

Michael Carrick has never managed a team professionally before, yet we beat Arsenal and Villarreal and drew with Chelsea under his tenure - largely because we reverted to the style of football we had played the previous season under Solskjaer. The players are suited to this system and are comfortable with it.

Like you, I'm delighted we have Rangnick at the club, but I actually feel Carrick might have achieved more points as the 'head coach' than Rangnick has achieved.
You are probably right there. I don't believe that Rangnick is a good manager but he does know his football.
Maybe he would be better suited in a different role as I said previously.

padzilla

Hipster
I would say we would nearly be better straightaway if we just got rid of a few players without making major signings.

It's clear there are a few bad elements in the dressing room - maybe not in terms of behaviour but in work rate at the very least.

Under our last five coaches, the team seems to jog around while the opposition constantly outworks us.

Long Time Red

Or maybe the players might just know something and Ralf just isn't a very good coach?

Maybe he was a good coach once upon a time but the game moves on.

He hasn't been able to improve anything since taking over from Carrick.

He said we were conceding too many goals when he took over yet we've conceded 16 goals in our last 7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.