Ralf Rangnick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkRed

Not really sure that's really their style, I could be wrong. I would probably think it's us tbh.
There is an idea that being a success in a small club is very different from big club, there is a risk in names like Ralf Rangnick and Luís Campos that we as fans want.
Do you think he will be capable to make to step up to a huge club like ours, bear in mind that at his age he will not change his ways.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There is an idea that being a success in a small club is very different from big club, there is a risk in names like Ralf Rangnick and Luís Campos that we as fans want.
Do you think he will be capable to make to step up to a huge club like ours, bear in mind that at his age he will not change his ways.
You can argue that where we're at right now needs someone who can work more on a tighter budget and those seem to be the best at that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Now that's interesting. The guy is brillant, probably one of the most underrated managers in Europe. Not necessarily as a coach, but he's got a pretty holistic perspective. As a coach, he was obsessed with tactics and identified and adapted trends quicker than most but he's also a great manager who usually has a long term vision that he wants to achieve. Not many who would go 5 or 6 leagues down in order to work for a club that could win titles 6 years down the road, just because he can shape the club and it's structure from the very beginning. And on top of that, he's extremely ambitious.

If he goes to United, I'll be very very excited what his plans for you look like. I'm sure he'd get you back to the top as a DoF if he gets enough responsibility and backing.

croadyman

Now that's interesting. The guy is brillant, probably one of the most underrated managers in Europe. Not necessarily as a coach, but he's got a pretty holistic perspective. As a coach, he was obsessed with tactics and identified and adapted trends quicker than most but he's also a great manager who usually has a long term vision that he wants to achieve. Not many who would go 5 or 6 leagues down in order to work for a club that could win titles 6 years down the road, just because he can shape the club and it's structure from the very beginning. And on top of that, he's extremely ambitious.

If he goes to United, I'll be very very excited what his plans for you look like. I'm sure he'd get you back to the top as a DoF if he gets enough responsibility and backing.
Unfortunately our club is in the dark ages when it comes to football structure and doesn't help we have a couple of clowns in charge of our transfers so don't think we will ever see this guy at the club which is a real shame because sounds like he would be a top DOF

Wayne's World

if Chelsea do beat us tomorrow night and we showed a bit of ambition for the first time in 7 years and got rid of Ole, anyone else think Rangnick would be a perfect caretaker until the end of the season. There's literally no chance he'd want it permanent and he'd get a full view into how badly run this club is and might even take over as DOF after.

Would allow Poch or even he might try and convince Nagglesmann to come over too to actually get a team together for the new season ahead

izec

if Chelsea do beat us tomorrow night and we showed a bit of ambition for the first time in 7 years and got rid of Ole, anyone else think Rangnick would be a perfect caretaker until the end of the season. There's literally no chance he'd want it permanent and he'd get a full view into how badly run this club is and might even take over as DOF after.

Would allow Poch or even he might try and convince Nagglesmann to come over too to actually get a team together for the new season ahead
Ole is not getting sacked tomorrow, win or lose

izec

If we lost 4-0/5-0 then surely we would have no other option no (I know a bit highly unlikely but we have lost heavy at Stamford Bridge a few times)
I still dont see it. Maybe once we are out of the Europa League and way behind 4th place. But for now, he is safe for a good few weeks or months even. The team is still behind him largely. We would only act if he lost the dressing room and getting smacked at the Bridge

croadyman

I still dont see it. Maybe once we are out of the Europa League and way behind 4th place. But for now, he is safe for a good few weeks or months even. The team is still behind him largely. We would only act if he lost the dressing room and getting smacked at the Bridge
Wouldn't surprise me if there was some truth in that report which said Utd would be willing to keep faith with Ole until he has bought in some more of his own players and able to field a full strength team, if things didn't improve then I would expect Utd to make a managerial change pretty shortly afterwards.

In the past failing to qualify for the champions league has led to the manager losing his job like we saw with Moyes & LVG but this feels very different to those occasions due to his legendary status as a player at the club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We don't have to act only when he's sacked. The smart thing to do would be to lay the ground work to be prepared for the eventual sacking that is inevitable.

SinNombre

Ole has actually done a decent job if you purely look at what he has done from the lens of a DoF (made some decent signings, cleared out a lot of bad players, brought wages under control, there is some vision to our transfers, lots of good academy signings). United are a terrible coached team and cannot manage injuries but that's not what I am referring to.

We should be looking to hire a competent technical coach who has had at least some success domestically and in Europe (like Fergie but also why Klopp was my favourite to replace SAF in 2013), and move Ole to DoF.

enwhykiid

Very unlike woodward to brief the media about a DoF after a win. Could actually mean this might have legs

mu4c_20le

Rangnick would form a clear path for Nagelsmann in the near future. Not sure why Milan seem to have turned him down though, he seemed perfect for them.

arthurka

Rangnick would form a clear path for Nagelsmann in the near future. Not sure why Milan seem to have turned him down though, he seemed perfect for them.
Because he demands absolute control over football decisions. That won't go well with Maldini and Co.

Resch

Ed would never sign Ralf, because Ralf is a control freak. He would want the control about every football decision at United. Something Eds ego would not allow.
Rangnick would establish a football philosophy all over the club and Ole would be the first one, who has to go or reinvent himself. United would have to build a modern scouting network, a youth system based on the philosophy and to ship out half the team or form a deadwood training group. After one year of fighting for 6th place United could be back fighting for the Top 4, with a young and hungry team.
The biggest problem would be the weekly intensity of the PL. Pressing and Gegenpressing could work, but you would need a large number of players in your PL team. Rangnick once had the idea of two Leipzig teams, one for the Bundesliga, one for the CL und the cup. United could expect such an idea from him too.

croadyman

Ed would never sign Ralf, because Ralf is a control freak. He would want the control about every football decision at United. Something Eds ego would not allow.
Rangnick would establish a football philosophy all over the club and Ole would be the first one, who has to go or reinvent himself. United would have to build a modern scouting network, a youth system based on the philosophy and to ship out half the team or form a deadwood training group. After one year of fighting for 6th place United could be back fighting for the Top 4, with a young and hungry team.
The biggest problem would be the weekly intensity of the PL. Pressing and Gegenpressing could work, but you would need a large number of players in your PL team. Rangnick once had the idea of two Leipzig teams, one for the Bundesliga, one for the CL und the cup. United could expect such an idea from him too.
Well if that is the case then Woody (Toy Story) would definitely rather appoint less of a control freak in this Henrique fella, the worrying thing is that I haven't heard anything positive about this guy yet but plenty of people have been singing the praises of Rangnick, shame really because Ralf sounds like he has some really good ideas but unfortunately they won't be coming to fruition at Old Trafford.

Caesar2290

Because he demands absolute control over football decisions. That won't go well with Maldini and Co.
I think this is what makes him a perfect candidate for the DoF role. Unlike Milan or Bayern we don't have ex-players who run our club. Our club is run by money men. They don't have a football philosophy. The only thing they care about is results as long as it doesn't break the bank every year. This is why we never have full on board vs manager clashes at out clubs when it comes to footballing matters such as style of play(only transfers) Ironically the RB clubs are structured similarly to us.

A lot of people describe Ralf as lynchpin between the money men of the club and the managers. He makes everything work like clock work and thus brings a lot of money(or brand recognition) to his owners, whilist he enjoys almost unlimited freedom on the footballing side of the club.

I believe they can make it work as long as Ed stays out of the footballing side of things. And from what I've seen, is that he does that most of the time. If Woodward would simply give him a yearly budget for running the club and signing players and he would deal with the transfers himself this might be a HUGE improvement on what we have right now.

Reactions: roonster09

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You seem to have great insight into how Woodward works and thinks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never going to happen. Ed is too deluded to believe he needs help.
That’s odd seeing as he already has help.

Do you think we signed Hannibal Mejbri because Woodward scouted him and thought he could help us sell Afro cream?

BlahRules

That’s odd seeing as he already has help.

Do you think we signed Hannibal Mejbri because Woodward scouted him and thought he could help us sell Afro cream?
Throwing money on a couple of kids don't solve our current or future problems.

We need to have a good foundation for players to make the break. Players like Chong should not be making appearances when they're clearly not ready but we throwing players on to the first team and hoping they'll perform.

If we had some sort of foundation in place then talents like Gomes would be in a better position to perform. A player that is seeing his peers perform as a result but he cant.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

We need to have a good foundation for players to make the break. Players like Chong should not be making appearances when they're clearly not ready but we throwing players on to the first team and hoping they'll perform.

If we had some sort of foundation in place then talents like Gomes would be in a better position to perform. A player that is seeing his peers perform as a result but he cant.
The foundation was destroyed by the managers we employed and the biggest culprit was Mourinho who most fans wanted at the helm. Woodward sure does deserve criticism but alot of the criticism is unwarranted and has no evidence to support it.

I also believe Woodward would have zero issues with giving Rangnick full responsibility to shape our longterm vision.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Of course it didn’t. I’m just saying that this theory that Woodward makes every football decision has always been fanciful to me. We obviously have a load of football people at the club, aside from Ole and Ed. Ole himself has referenced the ‘recruitment team’ a number of times in his press conferences. Now whether that team is good enough is another matter, but I’m just saying that Woodward is obviously not the person identifying all the players who come to the club even now, without this messiah of a director.

A director will simply give everyone a new person to blame if things don’t pick up.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Of course it didn’t. I’m just saying that this theory that Woodward makes every football decision has always been fanciful to me. We obviously have a load of football people at the club, aside from Ole and Ed. Ole himself has referenced the ‘recruitment team’ a number of times in his press conferences. Now whether that team is good enough is another matter, but I’m just saying that Woodward is obviously not the person identifying all the players who come to the club even now, without this messiah of a director.

A director will simply give everyone a new person to blame if things don’t pick up.
Woodward obviously isn't making every decision, but he does have the final say on all the big decisions. And for one reason or another, the large majority of them have ended up going wrong. Whether that's him himself consistently making the wrong decisions, the people he puts in place consistently making the wrong decisions, or the people he listens to for advice giving him the wrong advice, the end result is the same.

We need the person who has overall control of the footballing side of things to do a hell of a better job. Both in his own decisions and putting a better team of people around him. That, along with the fact that he's done the job extremely well at other admittedly lower level clubs, is why Rangnick would be my absolute preferred choice. From everything I've heard there's no chance he comes in unless he gets full control, whereas some others would come in and more work within the current system which obviously is not working (from what I've read of Henrique he seems more likely to do that).

Obviously Woodward would still technically be in charge, but ultimately the only thing he should really be involved in on the footballing side of things is telling the DoF how much he has to spend. Also if the DoF really isn't working out then it'd be on Woodward to replace him. Nobody is a sure thing and that option needs to be there, but obviously somebody with significant experience in that role would have a much higher chance of success than Woodward himself. Other than that, Woody should be focusing purely on the financial side of things (even though I don't think he's doing a very good job there either).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Woodward obviously isn't making every decision, but he does have the final say on all the big decisions. And for one reason or another, the large majority of them have ended up going wrong. Whether that's him himself consistently making the wrong decisions, the people he puts in place consistently making the wrong decisions, or the people he listens to for advice giving him the wrong advice, the end result is the same.

We need the person who has overall control of the footballing side of things to do a hell of a better job. Both in his own decisions and putting a better team of people around him. That, along with the fact that he's done the job extremely well at other admittedly lower level clubs, is why Rangnick would be my absolute preferred choice. From everything I've heard there's no chance he comes in unless he gets full control, whereas some others would come in and more work within the current system which obviously is not working (from what I've read of Henrique he seems more likely to do that).

Obviously Woodward would still technically be in charge, but ultimately the only thing he should really be involved in on the footballing side of things is telling the DoF how much he has to spend. Also if the DoF really isn't working out then it'd be on Woodward to replace him. Nobody is a sure thing and that option needs to be there, but obviously somebody with significant experience in that role would have a much higher chance of success than Woodward himself. Other than that, Woody should be focusing purely on the financial side of things (even though I don't think he's doing a very good job there either).
Tbh I don’t really disagree. I just think that the introduction of a DoF changes nothing of Woodward’s job. People seem very fixated on him in particular I think. A director would replace some of the existing football people who currently report to Woodward with new football people to report to him. So long as he remains the Exec, he will still have final say at the club, just as he does now. Perhaps his scouts are rubbish. Perhaps his manager is rubbish. But a Director will just be new people at that level. Woodward would then preside over him as he does over the current footballing staff. As he absolutely should do as the exec of the company. We’re basically replacing Marcel Bout.

ostentatious

Tbh I don’t really disagree. I just think that the introduction of a DoF changes nothing of Woodward’s job. People seem very fixated on him in particular I think. A director would replace some of the existing football people who currently report to Woodward with new football people to report to him. So long as he remains the Exec, he will still have final say at the club, just as he does now. Perhaps his scouts are rubbish. Perhaps his manager is rubbish. But a Director will just be new people at that level. Woodward would then preside over him as he does over the current footballing staff. As he absolutely should do as the exec of the company. We’re basically replacing Marcel Bout.
I would assume that a DoF would have a strong say in the appointment of managers. So, in case a manager is leaving, the system need not be reworked, a new manager who fits the philosophy could be hired. It would make sense that somebody with footballing knowledge makes these decisions rather than the executives.

mu4c_20le

He's his protegé, they worked together in Germany and Ralf would build us the similar kind of structure that he's used to. Just seems to make sense to me, which is why it probably won't happen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The scouts, the manager, and everyone else on the footballing side of the club shouldn't be reporting to Woodward though. They should be reporting to the DoF and he should be in charge of building that off-the-field team (and on-the-field as well). Ultimately if the DoF obviously isn't doing the job well enough then Woodward should come in and sack him, and he should also set the overall expectations for the DoF to work towards (play good football, blood youngsters when possible and get us back towards the top over the next few years) and set the funds available, but otherwise he shouldn't be involved in that side of things.

It's like a banker owning a business that they don't really know much about. They can try to be hands-on in making all the decisions and hiring and promoting all the staff themselves, or they can go out and headhunt an expert who has done a brilliant job at a similar business and put them in charge of running the thing, while the banker focuses purely on the finances and making the business as profitable as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.