Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Utd got rid of the first person in years that spoke any common sense and called out the fuking ineptitude of all involved.
Man, if only I had a £ for every time, I see/hear that line, I'd be a millionaire. It really is hilarious. :lol:

TsuWave

Basically, Rangnick should have been here for two more years, working alongside ETH, as we all know. However, Rangnick wouldn't be controlled or censored as the owners had intended and hoped. He worried them with his honesty. Suddenly his role wasn't required. Of course there are two sides to every story, but that's the impression I have been left with, having read and listened to numerous media sources.
Brother, my question was if these assertions that he “was sacked for telling some home truths“ were substantiated by more than just feels and impressions. As in, are there any concrete reports stating such - not just gut feels and the like

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why is it hilarious then
Why? Because the Rangnick mob go on as if he's spouted stuff that is new, revolutionary and never thought of before.

Gary Neville has been spouting that shit on Sky Sports for years? So have other ex-players/pundits. Fan groups like MUST have been busting the Glazers balls for years and calling them out. Things were supposed to be improving after the ESL fiasco with the Glazers promising better communication with the fans.

We stopped a North-West Derby because of protests against the running of the club. The Glazers see the banners, hear the chants and boos at the games. Richard Arnold met with fans at the pub to save them protesting outside his house. I guarantee you if any (well almost any) member of the Caf was to sit in front of the cameras, they would have said similar things to Rangnick. He hasn't said anything that was particularly groundbreaking, he just had the platform to do it.

What Rangnick has said has been glaringly obvious. Anybody not living under a rock knows that United need open heart surgery. Perhaps it was the way Rangnick expressed it....very soundbitey. If anything Neville has made more sense and been more direct than Rangnick but you don't see anyone jerking him off like the Rangnick mob.

Greck

When did it become a captain obvious recommendation that this team needed extensive foundational changes and was beyond simple fixes? Could have sworn all summer that suggestion was ridiculed.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
When did it become a captain obvious recommendation that this team needed widescale changes and was beyond simple fixes? Could have sworn all summer that suggestion was ridiculed.
When the guy making it was being mean to our lads, that's when.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I don't know whether this happens with other clubs too but the fanbase of this club always keeps strange obsessions and builds weird cults around figures who have achieved next to nothing for the club. It could make some sort of sense when the person is still at the club (nothing wrong with supporting a club personality) but it's absolutely crazy when the cult lives on stronger long after the person left the building.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why? Because the Rangnick mob go on as if he's spouted stuff that is new, revolutionary and never thought of before.

Gary Neville has been spouting that shit on Sky Sports for years? So have other ex-players/pundits. Fan groups like MUST have been busting the Glazers balls for years and calling them out. Things were supposed to be improving after the ESL fiasco with the Glazers promising better communication with the fans.

We stopped a North-West Derby because of protests against the running of the club. The Glazers see the banners, hear the chants and boos at the games. Richard Arnold met with fans at the pub to save them protesting outside his house. I guarantee you if any (well almost any) member of the Caf was to sit in front of the cameras, they would have said similar things to Rangnick. He hasn't said anything that was particularly groundbreaking, he just had the platform to do it.

What Rangnick has said has been glaringly obvious. Anybody not living under a rock knows that United need open heart surgery. Perhaps it was the way Rangnick expressed it....very soundbitey. If anything Neville has made more sense and been more direct than Rangnick but you don't see anyone jerking him off like the Rangnick mob.
When did Neville ever say the squad wasn’t fit for purpose and the only way forward was binning most of them and signing better players?

Neville (and loads of people on here) have been desperate to blame the owners while simultaneously avoiding criticism of the consequences of poor ownership. A squad that’s rotten from top to bottom and needs a radical overhaul. Rangnick was pointing this out while the entirety of the British media (including Neville) had their heads in the sand about it. Neville is STILL trying to avoid blaming the players even now. Hence his row with Redknapp at the weekend.

Born2Lose

I wonder if it's only coincidence that a certain player fell out with RR to the point of being a regular on the bench, but who has now gained his first team place back under the new manager.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wonder if it's only coincidence that a certain player fell out with RR to the point of being a regular on the bench, but who has now gained his first team place back under the new manager.
Presume you mean Rashford? He was dropped for playing badly by Rangnick and has held onto his place after playing (slightly) better for ETH. Helped by Elanga being woefully out of form. No need for conspiracy theories.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Brother, my question was if these assertions that he “was sacked for telling some home truths“ were substantiated by more than just feels and impressions. As in, are there any concrete reports stating such - not just gut feels and the like
I don't think so.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
And when he's again benched you'll get a few leaks showing ten hag in bad light.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

When did Neville ever say the squad wasn’t fit for purpose and the only way forward was binning most of them and signing better players?

Neville (and loads of people on here) have been desperate to blame the owners while simultaneously avoiding criticism of the consequences of poor ownership. A squad that’s rotten from top to bottom and needs a radical overhaul. Rangnick was pointing this out while the entirety of the British media (including Neville) had their heads in the sand about it. Neville is STILL trying to avoid blaming the players even now. Hence his row with Redknapp at the weekend.
Gary was hilarious the other day, when he and Carragher tried to rank our post-SAF signings: "Look, the players in this squad have failed under 2,3,4 managers now, so they're obviously not the problem. Let me talk about the Glazers". Here's some fine logic for you!

Truth be told, i don't expect any ex-legends to purposefully lay it into the current players. We are past the point of no return. Even Rio, who's now arguing in favour of Rangnick, is like a weathervane. No one takes him seriously. The sad truth is that the club has invested not just a lot of money (transfers & wages), but also a lot of time in some of these players. The pundits have been singing their praises for years, too. Did anyone argue against United paying Rash/Tony half a million p/w back in 2020? Or did they all buy into the "United DNA" narrative the club was spinning? If they all agreed with Rangnick now, they would have to throw the last three and a half years in the rubbish bin and, most importantly, admit that they are incompetent idiots. Hence, the "we want evolution, not revolution under ETH", punchline that the high echelons were quick to communicate via their mouthpieces. Remember when Gary was asked about the Rashford rumours last season and answered with a bewildered look on his face: "I can't even begin to describe how bad it will reflect on the club, if Rashford left United"? That's where we are at. And that's why Rangnick didn't make a lot of friends in Manchester.

My gut is telling me that ETH, in the sense that every new manager believes he can succeed where his predecessor failed, also agreed with this line of thinking, and now he's backtracking. Which will give them breathing space to lay all the blame on him and buy more time for themselves by signing Pochettino, who, we already know, has the Don's blessing. Another period of uncertainty, new contracts to "protect the assets" and to give the manager time to assess the squad... Business as usual.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.

The point he was making was that regardless of what you do with the squad, the main issues will still exist with the club....crumbling infrastructure, scrimping around the bargain bins for players, not able to blow clubs out of the water, which is what we should be doing with our revenue.

Rangnick was never going to say down with the Glazers, Murtough, Arnold etc. so he only focused on the team issues. And Neville has blamed the players, loads of times. He's called them out for lack of effort, lack of running, no fight, no desire etc.

arthurka

Ralf saw and said what was needed, Neville said couple of seasons back this club was 3-4 signings away from winning things. If I was to believe someone it would be Ralf and ETH that we need 10 players. Neville can do and say what ever he wants.

stevoc

I didn't answer because it made no sense again.
Give Ralf a pre season and transfers give Eric a pre season and transfers and then it would be comparable.
Eric should do well better than Ralf considering he has bought in his own players and had a pre season with them.
That was the comparison mate.

Cypriot

Ralf saw and said what was needed, Neville said couple of seasons back this club was 3-4 signings away from winning things. If I was to believe someone it would be Ralf and ETH that we need 10 players. Neville can do and say what ever he wants.
Didn't sound so crazy when we finished 3rd and 2nd. 4 good players would sound about right. We've really gone backwards since then.

stevoc

Go look it up somewhere in the last 10 pages. He had higher points per game than OGS in the final season. Any other comparison is nonsensical or moot
What about Ralf's win ratio over his 31 games vs Solskjaer's last 31 games, that would be a fair comparison no?

Win ratio in all competitions is a better comparison than PPG.

arthurka

Didn't sound so crazy when we finished 3rd and 2nd. 4 good players would sound about right. We've really gone backwards since then.
Have we? Didn't half of the pundits and fans as well think we were in the mix after the signings we did last summer.

Tommy79

RR had the lowest win percentage of all Man Utd managers since Frank O'Farrell (1972). He was useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Manchester_United_F.C._managers#Statistics
A rather pointless stat comparison, why, simple because if you're using those figures, Carrick is our greatest ever manager with a 66.67 win % and that's why win stats are pointless unless both played with same squad and number of games. As the only 2 managers you really can compare are Ole and RR, as both had similar squads.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What about Ralf's win ratio over his 31 games vs Solskjaer's last 31 games, that would be a fair comparison no?

Win ratio in all competitions is a better comparison than PPG.
Different squad, different season, not logical imho

Foxbatt

Feck them. They are there to play the football the manager wants them to play. Not the way they want to play. If they are not good enough they can feck off.
Ralf was wrong. We don't need only, 8 to 10 players. We need 22 new players.

led_scholes

When did Ole say this for example? Or Neville? Would Neville support Rashford and Shaw to be replaced? Yes, fans say it, but when an employee who actually sees how we are run from the inside and goes public with it, it has a more ground.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
When did Ole say this for example? Or Neville? Would Neville support Rashford and Shaw to be replaced? Yes, fans say it, but when an employee who actually sees how we are run from the inside and goes public with it, it has a more ground.
Rangnick's never named players. I don't know what planet you've been on for the last few years but Neville has called the players out many times. So has Keane. They both know United inside out, more than Rangnick. There isn't anything he has said that has not been repeated before many times.

Tony247

Real skill is not just knowing what to do but knowing how to do. I am sure RR would have come handy in rebuild which united collectively feck up every year.

As I read his role he was supposed to be consulting on the rebuild which would include advising on prioritising right positions, bringing right talent that suits the style of new manager.

But instead they ended his contract for the manager job he was not supposed to be doing in first place, but still had to do as an interim capacity.

led_scholes

Rangnick's never named players. I don't know what planet you've been on for the last few years but Neville has called the players out many times. So has Keane. They both know United inside out, more than Rangnick. There isn't anything he has said that has not been repeated before many times.
No he didnt. But he replaced them in the field. They have been vocal but not critical in the sense of how we are run. They were jizzing their pants when we were signing Ronaldo or Maguire or AWB or when we are giving mega contracts to some players. Even on his last rant against the glazes, Nevilles main point was about how Glazers are not investing as much as they could. Which is absolutely true. But not all of our problems come from underfunding.
Rangnick's critique was about our strategy and our operations.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No he didnt. But he replaced them in the field. They have been vocal but not critical in the sense of how we are run. They were jizzing their pants when we were signing Ronaldo or Maguire or AWB or when we are giving mega contracts to some players. Even on his last rant against the glazes, Nevilles main point was about how Glazers are not investing as much as they could. Which is absolutely true. But not all of our problems come from underfunding.
Rangnick's critique was about our strategy and our operations.
Another myth. What did he say exactly? And I recommend that you go back and listen again to some of Neville's criticisms on the club, owners and players.

led_scholes

Another myth. What did he say exactly? And I recommend that you go back and listen again to some of Neville's criticisms on the club, owners and players.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/05/manchester-united-transfer-strategy-ralf-rangnick

Meanwhile Neville; https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ester-united-marcus-rashford-neville-23579485

But you are missing the point; its a different thing that something critical comes within the organization, and different if just a sportcaster who cares about reactions and clicks.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People are still blowing smoke up his ass for speaking out (and as seems to be the consensus on here, getting himself fired)? Redcafe....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
People are still blowing smoke up his ass for speaking out (and as seems to be the consensus on here, getting himself fired)? Redcafe....
And attributing things that are meant to be groundbreaking and revealing when he just repeated stuff that everyone already knew.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/05/manchester-united-transfer-strategy-ralf-rangnick

Meanwhile Neville; https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ester-united-marcus-rashford-neville-23579485

But you are missing the point; its a different thing that something critical comes within the organization, and different if just a sportcaster who cares about reactions and clicks.
Seriously?? Is what what you could come up with? It just really proves my point about the Rangnick sympathisers seeing things that aren't really there and giving him more credit than he deserves.

Like I said before, Rangnick said/did nothing new, he just had the platform to do it.

led_scholes

Seriously?? Is what what you could come up with? It just really proves my point about the Rangnick sympathisers seeing things that aren't really there and giving him more credit than he deserves.

Like I said before, Rangnick said/did nothing new, he just had the platform to do it.
Well for this club stating the obvious is more precious than licking the ass of our players like Gary has done since he became a pundit. Remember Rooneys silent domination?

I don't know what you expect to find in public. Rangnick just said what our problems are. Lack of strategy and lack of ID. Dont take it lightly; for this to change we need major reshaping in our structures which will affect people who have been in the club for years. Even a decade and more.

I can't recall anyone else saying this. LVG mentioned it in a way. On the contrary, Ole sugar coated everything.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
And attributing things that are meant to be groundbreaking and revealing when he just repeated stuff that everyone already knew.
Yeah, obvious things like signing hungry players on their second or third contracts instead of panic signing expensive mercenaries at the end of their career.

Oh wait...

Greck

If what Ralf said was common knowledge this thread would have been dead months ago.

Foxbatt

There seems to be just two people here who are upset about the truth he has said. Most probably wums.

fallengt

When did Neville say we need 10 new players? He just moan about Glazers and rotten structure but never offered constructive criticism and how to fix it.
Have bunch of these ex United pundits ever told the club who should they sign to fix this mess?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
When did Neville say we need 10 new players? He just moan about Glazers and rotten structure but never offered constructive criticism and how to fix it.
Have bunch of these ex United pundits ever told the club who should they sign to fix this mess?
The '10 players' thing is a good example of what people mean when they say Rangnick supporters overstate his recommendations.

What he said was,

"If you analyse the situation, it’s not that difficult to analyse. The team needs a rebuild, not because some players have to go but quite a few have no contracts anymore, their contracts are expiring, then for me it’s clear there will be six, seven, eight, maybe 10 new players. And before you sign those players you need to be aware how do you want to play? What kind of football does the new manager want to play? And then take it from there and then bring every single player fitting into that kind of profile."

He is making the simple point that, as United work on bringing in new players, they need to think about the kind of profile they are bringing.

But people have chosen to interpret this as Rangnick telling the board that they need to tear up the squad, get rid of a bunch of losers, and bring in a whole new team. That is simply not what he said. He even makes the point of clarifying that it is not what he meant.

Tony247

You are missing the whole point. You, me, your Gary Neville can scream about the same thing but have no power to do anything about it. On the other hand we had RR who was speaking exactly the same thing and had power to do something about it and then he was gone. And you are happy about it!!

On what rationale Neville screaming on tv who can do zilch about it is exactly the same as a hired consultant, an insider who was tasked to advise on rebuild saying what we all want club to do?

RR leaving was a loss to club and a loss to all united supporters including Gary Neville.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You are missing the whole point. You, me, your Gary Neville can scream about the same thing but have no power to do anything about it. On the other hand we had RR who was speaking exactly the same thing and had power to do something about it and then he was gone. And you are happy about it!!

On what rationale Neville screaming on tv who can do zilch about it is exactly the same as a hired consultant, an insider who was tasked to advise on rebuild saying what we all want club to do?

RR leaving was a loss to club and a loss to all united supporters including Gary Neville.
You're going off at that guy. But what power did Ralf really have? Evidently feck all as he changed nothing, for the better. Isn't that the complaint? That he didn't get the chance to work his magic? So you're all hooked on the "what might have been" and getting whipped up by the media etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.