Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

I don't think "....the Glazers feel like they are finally in good hands with the executive management team above ETH". Exhibit A: 4 weeks ago it was revealed that a 'think tank' comprising David Gill, Alex Ferguson and Bryan Robson had been set up.

I rest my case.
How do you know that wasn’t always the plan? Seems like they basically have the consultancy role to Sir Alex

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
How do you know that wasn’t always the plan? Seems like they basically gave the consultancy role to Sir Alex.
Which was the wrong thing to do.

Sir Alex Ferguson should have been kept as a club Ambassador/Associate Director with no decision making powers whatsoever. This hasn't happened. He has consistently made bad choices/bad decisions since he retired. Actually, since before he retired as he ran the squad down & basically set up his replacement (Moyes) to fail.

Never should have got involved in the return of Ronaldo, that one is still causing problems now.

They should have kept RR - who was basically sacked for speaking truth to power. They certainly should not then have given his 'consultancy' role to these ex-heroes.

The other thing is and nobody likes to mention this, whilst SAF continues to work at the club, not just watch matches as a guest/figurehead, he acts as a buffer between the fans and the Glazers. There is a whole thread on this because someone started one by asking if SAF would take the opportunity to speak out against the American owners. Of course he won't because he is on £ 1 million a year - and I read one report saying its even more than that. His refusal to criticise the Glazers, his decision to continue working for them is technically him supporting them. Which is always going to be a problem for the Glazers out campaign.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Sir Alex Ferguson should have been kept as a club Ambassador/Associate Director with no decision making powers whatsoever. This hasn't happened. He has consistently made bad choices/bad decisions since he retired. Actually, since before he retired as he ran the squad down & basically set up his replacement (Moyes) to fail.

Never should have got involved in the return of Ronaldo, that one is still causing problems now.

They should have kept RR - who was basically sacked for speaking truth to power. They certainly should not then have given his 'consultancy' role to these ex-heroes.

The other thing is and nobody likes to mention this, whilst SAF continues to work at the club, not just watch matches as a guest/figurehead, he acts as a buffer between the fans and the Glazers. There is a whole thread on this because someone started one by asking if SAF would take the opportunity to speak out against the American owners. Of course he won't because he is on £ 1 million a year - and I read one report saying its even more than that. His refusal to criticise the Glazers, his decision to continue working for them is technically him supporting them. Which is always going to be a problem for the Glazers out campaign.
WUM....

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Actually, since before he retired as he ran the squad down & basically set up his replacement (Moyes) to fail.
"The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one." - Sir Alex Ferguson, May 8th 2013

He didnt leave a aging wreck without ability. He left the Premier League champions with Wayne Rooney and RVP in their absolute prime years, De Gea at age 22, Rafael, Ashley Young, Nemanja Vidic, Valencia, Carrick, Nani - ALL at the height of their playing years. Even with Scholes and Giggs at the end of their careers, the squad had a healthy average age.

That the only signings we made in the 13/14 window was Juan Mata and Marouane Fellaini really has to fall on the feet of the club, not the former manager.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Read all the bits on twitter troll accounts and consolidated in single post :lol:

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
"The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one." - Sir Alex Ferguson, May 8th 2013

He didnt leave a aging wreck without ability. He left the Premier League champions with Wayne Rooney and RVP in their absolute prime years, De Gea at age 22, Rafael, Ashley Young, Nemanja Vidic, Valencia, Carrick, Nani - ALL at the height of their playing years. Even with Scholes and Giggs at the end of their careers, the squad had a healthy average age.

That the only signings we made in the 13/14 window was Juan Mata and Marouane Fellaini really has to fall on the feet of the club, not the former manager.
Ok - I accept that, its been ten years! I withdraw the suggestion that Sir Alex left a poor squad for his successor.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How do you know that wasn’t always the plan? Seems like they basically have the consultancy role to Sir Alex
Why do people keep thinking the Glazer hierarchy has some top secret super long-term plan after nearly 20 years of mismanagement?

We really need a 'if it walks like duck...' emoji.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Read all the bits on twitter troll accounts and consolidated in single post :lol:
Not a wind-up merchant and I'm not on twitter.

I admit today I repeated some stuff I read on the internet, but from Man Utd. fans on here in the two threads 'Sir Alex's biggest mistakes' and 'Will SAF use this moment to speak up'.

If you look at my other activity on here, I've actually been quite complimentary about the current Manchester United and especially your new manager. Although I have said Ronaldo returning was a big mistake but so did Ralf Rangnick.

CarbonStoolBites

That’s not true now is it.

Vidic practically retired a year later.
Young was never anything special, turned out to be a better full back than he was a winger at United.
Valencia was completely ineffective as a winger by then, even in SAF’s last season, we won the league with no midfield and without wingers.
Carrick was solid still but he was literally our only midfielder.
RvP was injury prone from then on, well he’s always had injury issues throughout his Arsenal career but he was clearly bought to win us the league in SAF’s last season which he did, but it is what it is, he never hit the same highs for us in the following 2 years.
Rooney? Come on now, SAF knew he was on the decline, Rooney although he was only 28 years old he’s played an entire career worth of football by that point, add genetics and his lifestyle to the mix on top of the way he played the game with complete disregard to his own safety and how he left it all on the pitch every game since he broke through at 16 and you get a player who’s probably peaked at 26.
Nani? Great player for 2-3 years, was completely ineffective in SAF’s last season as well, hardly set the world alight since leaving us.

Problem with the SAF quote you’ve posted was that even SAF didn’t realize how good of a manager he actually was, that team was nowhere near a vintage United side, no shot any other manager could’ve walked the league with Carrick and Cleverley in midfield and no effective wingers, it was not a great side by any means man.

The academy was not in a good state by all accounts, and it was revamped and we’re seeing the results now with the likes of Zidane, Garnacho, Savage and few years back with you know who.

Its a shame really how that all turned out, all the money we wasted since.
Imagine SAF with all that money to spend, the team he would’ve built… fecking hell.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

One of the biggest frauds in the history of football. Everything is clear in hindsight to the fella.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not a wind-up merchant and I'm not on twitter.

I admit today I repeated some stuff I read on the internet, but from Man Utd. fans on here in the two threads 'Sir Alex's biggest mistakes' and 'Will SAF use this moment to speak up'.

If you look at my other activity on here, I've actually been quite complimentary about the current Manchester United and especially your new manager. Although I have said Ronaldo returning was a big mistake but so did Ralf Rangnick.
Yeah sorry for that twitter comment.

I largely disagreed with " Actually, since before he retired as he ran the squad down & basically set up his replacement (Moyes) to fail."

Also you have overestimated SAF powers at ManUtd.

tomaldinho1

One of the biggest frauds in the history of football. Everything is clear in hindsight to the fella.
I don’t see how you can call him a fraud given his influence on football. He’s never really been a top class coach though and seems a divisive character - just look at your comment - some found him verbally hammering the squad quite refreshing after Ole’s tenure but it’s clear the board/ETH thought it best he leave.

Really he wants to be in Murtough’s role so it would have been weird if he did stay on with two people competing and his style of football is a lot less technical than ETH’s so he’d want a different type of player most likely.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t see how you can call him a fraud given his influence on football. He’s never really been a top class coach though and seems a divisive character - just look at your comment - some found him verbally hammering the squad quite refreshing after Ole’s tenure but it’s clear the board/ETH thought it best he leave.

Really he wants to be in Murtough’s role so it would have been weird if he did stay on with two people competing and his style of football is a lot less technical than ETH’s so he’d want a different type of player most likely.
I think the whole Ralf Rangnick thing was very strange from the off. I think I'm right in saying the consultancy thing was really just a sweetener to get him to come, because otherwise who would uproot their lives and re-locate for just a 6-month contract plus because he was one of the originators of the type of football that is being used successfully at places like Liverpool FC, there was some logic to it.

If things had gone well from December to May i.e. at least a top-4 finish, well it might have worked - because the new manager could have come in and bounced ideas off Ralf off the back of a successful spell.

But things didn't go so well - I think the players treated him like supply teacher, so I don't think he should shoulder all of the blame - but at the end of the day his run of results was way down in comparison to another MUFC managers, consequently the idea of a consultancy was never going to work. Why would the new manager listen to the outgoing interim one, when he had been a failure. Is Liz Truss going to ask Boris Johnson for advice? I doubt it!

To summerise: RR had to go at the seasons end, but I don't think he should be getting the grief on here that he has been getting, because it was a pretty impossible job. Furthermore, he said United needed ten players and Ronaldo should leave - now bearing in mind United have bought 5 and probably would prefer it if Ronaldo did leave (there was a rumour a couple of days ago that they were willing to let him go to Napoli and pay all his wages is proof of that) it can be agreed that he was actually on the right track.

bringbackbebe

Bad managers foul mouth the squad "frequently" to the press so they can divert their own short comings, and that's about the only pressing he implemented successfully. Fans love that, but it's bad for the club & morale. He had no authority on the squad once he started doing that and became a laughing stock unable to control most of the players. The guy came in and portrayed as if he had all the answers to our problems, but only ended up magnifying them. You could see in ETH's first interview that he was clearly unhappy & against with Rangnick continuing as well. This "Oh, I had it all figured out all the time" works great on hindsight with any body & is the sort of attitude that can seriously irritate people, particularly if you don't have results to back up the talk. Let's see how he does with Austria.

Atheist

Our fans were quite angry at Mourinho for criticizing players publicly and now we’re praising Rangnick for doing the same? Regardless, Rangnick did nothing to even remotely justify staying at the club.

Gordon Godot

That’s not true now is it.

Vidic practically retired a year later.
Young was never anything special, turned out to be a better full back than he was a winger at United.
Valencia was completely ineffective as a winger by then, even in SAF’s last season, we won the league with no midfield and without wingers.
Carrick was solid still but he was literally our only midfielder.
RvP was injury prone from then on, well he’s always had injury issues throughout his Arsenal career but he was clearly bought to win us the league in SAF’s last season which he did, but it is what it is, he never hit the same highs for us in the following 2 years.
Rooney? Come on now, SAF knew he was on the decline, Rooney although he was only 28 years old he’s played an entire career worth of football by that point, add genetics and his lifestyle to the mix on top of the way he played the game with complete disregard to his own safety and how he left it all on the pitch every game since he broke through at 16 and you get a player who’s probably peaked at 26.
Nani? Great player for 2-3 years, was completely ineffective in SAF’s last season as well, hardly set the world alight since leaving us.

Problem with the SAF quote you’ve posted was that even SAF didn’t realize how good of a manager he actually was, that team was nowhere near a vintage United side, no shot any other manager could’ve walked the league with Carrick and Cleverley in midfield and no effective wingers, it was not a great side by any means man.

The academy was not in a good state by all accounts, and it was revamped and we’re seeing the results now with the likes of Zidane, Garnacho, Savage and few years back with you know who.

Its a shame really how that all turned out, all the money we wasted since.
Imagine SAF with all that money to spend, the team he would’ve built… fecking hell.
Agreed, the club was actually on its knees when Fergie left. Youth system completely surpassed by City, our squad was thin and top players on the way out. Also, lets remember, Moyes was Fergie's appointment and he was never in a million years capable of doing the job.

Tommy79

Sir Alex Ferguson should have been kept as a club Ambassador/Associate Director with no decision making powers whatsoever. This hasn't happened. He has consistently made bad choices/bad decisions since he retired. Actually, since before he retired as he ran the squad down & basically set up his replacement (Moyes) to fail. They certainly should not then have given his 'consultancy' role to these ex-heroes.
Can you actually provide proof he is doing what you claim, other than believing everything you read in a paper and taken it for fact and truth? Also while you're at it, give your head a good, nah make that a very good fecking bobble, as you have no ex players hanging around, please you're doing it since the days of Mr Bung, you remember him, the guy that saw you lot mocked for your style of play in the full monty.

If you look at my other activity on here, I've actually been quite complimentary about the current Manchester United and especially your new manager.
I read some stuff on the internet too, it doesn't mean you can around posting like it's fact, as you have no bloody clue if they really are UTD fans, read a comment back in the day on twitter by an Arsenil fan, stated UTD fans were right, Wenger was a paedo, so do you think I should go posting that everywhere as a person on twitter who says he is an arsenil fan said it ?

Saying the right thing in reply to certain members that can offer up "likes" is all that is, sorry.

Last edited:

SER19

To be fair he said most of this stuff while still here. And without defending him much, the downing of tools by players last season was truly disgraceful - they did it for solskjaer and then Rangnick too. Ten hag is still working his way through a fully dysfunctional set up. In short I don't think he'd have succeeded as manager here but also don't think last season is anything to judge any manager on. That was a mass failure of squad

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Time will prove him to be right, he's already been proved half right since half a dozen players have been bought after ten hag let the board know that he can't polish turd.

afrocentricity

Time will prove him to be right, he's already been proved half right since half a dozen players have been bought after ten hag let the board know that he can't polish turd.
Right about what? The stuff we've all been talking about on here since before he got here? Or something new?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Right about what? The stuff we've all been talking about on here since before he got here? Or something new?
About our players and recruitment.

You say is not something new, i say tell that to half the caf that still refuses to believe the underlying cause.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we needed a consultant then we should of signed him for that role alone and brought a decent manager in charge. For the role which he was hired for, he failed miserably.

I agree with everything.
The only blame on SAF is that he was too old and decided to retire, otherwise we would of won more trophies with him in charge.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If we needed a consultant then we should of signed him for that role alone and brought a decent manager in charge. For the role which he was hired for, he failed miserably.
His role was to put out the fire, he couldn't put it out.

He did not start the fire.

The board effectively called a plumber to put the fire out instead of firefighters and then made him the scapegoat.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

The board effectively called a plumber to put the fire out instead of firefighters and then made him the scapegoat.
We are saying the same thing.
I wouldn't call him the scapegoat, but a better manager would of at least tamed the fire if not extinguish it altogether.

Maticmaker

When a business decides to call in a consultant, quite often they know (or have an idea) what the problem is but want someone (external)to spell it out for them.
When the consultant tells them (what they perhaps already know, but don't want to hear) they either use the consultants report to push through changes and then blame the consultant, so their workforce wont rebel. Or sack the consultant (usually in a public spectacle) but still take note of the recommendations, for future reference... Ralf's was a classic case of 'consultancy poisoning'

stevoc

Moyes didn't need any help to fail.

And it made sense that Fergie didn't build a new team for his successor. That was the job of you know... ..his successor.

stevoc

No he just poured petrol on it and then watched it burn. :lol:

mu4c_20le

If by pouring petrol you mean exposing the actual culprits who lit the fire then yes.
IIRC he started out a lot more optimistic when he first got the job. It's when the results got worse and worse that he also started sounding negative. Not saying he was completely wrong but it also sounded like he was saving his own skin.

afrocentricity

We have a proper manager now and a team that's improving... I get some of you want to bump this thread anytime he does or says something.... But it's weird, it's really weird.

El Jefe

We have a proper manager now and a team that's improving... I get some of you want to bump this thread anytime he does or says something.... But it's weird, it's really weird.
Its honestly baffling and weird as you put it. Two wins in a row, two big signings in the last week and signs of significant change on and off the pitch yet the same people can't get away from their Ralf fixation.

Status
Not open for further replies.