Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

You're going off at that guy. But what power did Ralf really have? Evidently feck all as he changed nothing, for the better. Isn't that the complaint? That he didn't get the chance to work his magic? So you're all hooked on the "what might have been" and getting whipped up by the media etc...
I said had power to do something about it. He could or could not change anything. Nobody knows. But an insider saying right things and could influence the rebuild is better than you me tom dick and harry screaming the same thing and can't do anything about it. That's my point.

Lyng

If what Ralf said was common knowledge this thread would have been dead months ago.
Yeah. Its a bit weird hearing his harshest critics now claiming the statement that we needed 6 - 10 new players is common knowledge, when at the time they where busy laughing at the statement...

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The '10 players' thing is a good example of what people mean when they say Rangnick supporters overstate his recommendations.

What he said was,

"If you analyse the situation, it’s not that difficult to analyse. The team needs a rebuild, not because some players have to go but quite a few have no contracts anymore, their contracts are expiring, then for me it’s clear there will be six, seven, eight, maybe 10 new players. And before you sign those players you need to be aware how do you want to play? What kind of football does the new manager want to play? And then take it from there and then bring every single player fitting into that kind of profile."

He is making the simple point that, as United work on bringing in new players, they need to think about the kind of profile they are bringing.

But people have chosen to interpret this as Rangnick telling the board that they need to tear up the squad, get rid of a bunch of losers, and bring in a whole new team. That is simply not what he said. He even makes the point of clarifying that it is not what he meant.
That's a great example of what I'm talking about.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah. Its a bit weird hearing his harshest critics now claiming the statement that we needed 6 - 10 new players is common knowledge, when at the time they where busy laughing at the statement...
Let me ask... This sticking point, how many players he said we needed and that we needed big changes. Was it really that big of deal? Will it be looked on as pivotal in the history of United years from now? Will there be statues? Will his fans create a religion similar to Scientology but with patterns of play instead of Dianetics?

Really?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I said had power to do something about it. He could or could not change anything. Nobody knows. But an insider saying right things and could influence the rebuild is better than you me tom dick and harry screaming the same thing and can't do anything about it. That's my point.
Clubs decide to form European Super League. Massive outrage from fans, media and even the government. Clubs decide to bin the idea.
United goes in for Arnautovic. Fans and media deride the idea. United decides NOT to go in for Arnautovic.

What you're saying simply is not true. Clubs don't live in a bubble. They're fully aware of what is going on outside the club. You don't need to be an insider to have an influence. We've seen it time and time again.

They would have seen and heard Neville's ramblings. It's usually when the backlash is too strong that they decide to pull the trigger on managers.

So why you're making out that Rangnick would have exclusive influence on the decision makers is just, with all due respect, bullshit. And he had zero power, let's just get that straight. He was a consultant...a consultant who's role wasn't even clarified. So how do you know what influence he had?

Lyng

Let me ask... This sticking point, how many players he said we needed and that we needed big changes. Was it really that big of deal? Will it be looked on as pivotal in the history of United years from now? Will there be statues? Will his fans create a religion similar to Scientology but with patterns of play instead of Dianetics?

Really?
:lol: :lol:
Did I hit a nerve?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So is there still anyone who thinks it was good to scrap that role? Would we be better or worse off?

kthanksbye

We do need someone who knows what a modern competitive squad should look like and is able to assemble it, we've needed this person since ages, no amount of new roles we create are going to compensate for that.
RR may or may not have been that person, but when we hired him, he was the closest we got to having that person, albeit after half a season. We looked like we had a plan, and then we hire EtH and don't know what happened but we somehow fecked it up.

I think the people arguing on behalf of RR are doing so more because of the importance and requirement of that kind of role rather than RR in particular.

afrocentricity

So is there still anyone who thinks it was good to scrap that role? Would we be better or worse off?
I wouldn't say it was good but he didn't fill me with confidence. Personally I think it could have been a disaster. The guy had no filter. To the extent that he fell out with everyone and got fired. How would that have gotten any better? More likely to get worse.

So in light of that I'm thinking he's gone and it's not that big of a deal. Let's make the changes we need to make and get someone else if needed.

I think the people arguing on behalf of RR are doing so more because of the importance and requirement of that kind of role rather than RR in particular.
That would be fine. Some of them aren't though and are exaggerating his importance.

Lyng

No.... You didn't, but you know that. I guess this is your attempt to shift and not answer the question?
Oh but it seems I did given how you started talking about cults and statues etc, out of nowhere.

Several people laughed at the idea that we needed massive changes to the squad at the time. Now when even ETH (who is an actual great manager) is having issues, and its clear to everyone that Ralf was correct in his assessment, suddenly it was common sense the whole time.
You cant have it both ways. If he was a complete idiot, like you and several others claim, how come what he said was common sense?

Rangnick was an utter complete failure as manager. But his assessment of the squad was spot on. Something that several of you would NOT admit at the time.
His proposed transfer targets where reasonable and would have strengthened our squad, instead we are now scrambling.

Rangnick is not and was never some genious manager. But he does know a thing or two about making a club function well, at least he knows more then the idiots currently running the club.

Thats all.
No cult, no statues.

Halftrack

Wouldn't have made an iota of difference. He was to be a consultant in a vaguely defined advisory role. If it's true that EtH wasn't keen on working with him, then that's him basically sidelined anyway, so why pay him to offer unwanted advice?

NoLogo

Rangnick is not and was never some genious manager. But he does know a thing or two about making a club function well, at least he knows more then the idiots currently running the club.
He simply spoke common sense, a lot of the stuff everyone can see apart from our currently leadership. Make a plan on what football you want to play. Hire the staff that will help you find the right players and managers to play that style.

Really nothing outrages, but apparently too complicated for the idiots in charge of our club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Wouldn't have made an iota of difference. He was to be a consultant in a vaguely defined advisory role. If it's true that EtH wasn't keen on working with him, then that's him basically sidelined anyway, so why pay him to offer unwanted advice?
I dont believe that. He has an extensive knowledge of talented players, can negotiate and continue to give feedback to EtH regarding his team. Sobit could have made a big difference

Tony247

So why you're making out that Rangnick would have exclusive influence on the decision makers is just, with all due respect, bullshit. And he had zero power, let's just get that straight. He was a consultant...a consultant who's role wasn't even clarified. So how do you know what influence he had?
He was a consultant yes. No one knows what was in the contract or was there going to be a new contract? All speculation. Just because we don't know we cannot conveniently assume he had no power. It just going to one extreme to make a point. Point is, for once there was an insider who was making right noise and now he is gone for whatever reason. Even if we assume there was 1 in thousand chance of him getting it done then it is still better than outsiders like we and Gary Neville who have zero chance of getting done what we want. Our noise is just....noise. His noise was carrying weight however tiny it might be.

stevoc

Different squad, different season, not logical imho
Different squad? Come on mate, if anything the additions of Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho and no major departures would work out more favourably for Rangnick in this comparison.

It isn't logical to cherry pick competitions either.

While it certainly wasn't all his fault, the clubs win ratio last season was worse post Rangnick than it was under Solskjaer/Carrick.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Oh but it seems I did given how you started talking about cults and statues etc, out of nowhere.

Several people laughed at the idea that we needed massive changes to the squad at the time. Now when even ETH (who is an actual great manager) is having issues, and its clear to everyone that Ralf was correct in his assessment, suddenly it was common sense the whole time.
You cant have it both ways. If he was a complete idiot, like you and several others claim, how come what he said was common sense?

Rangnick was an utter complete failure as manager. But his assessment of the squad was spot on. Something that several of you would NOT admit at the time.
His proposed transfer targets where reasonable and would have strengthened our squad, instead we are now scrambling.

Thats all.
No cult, no statues.
Wrong again! There were clamours for a reset even before Solskjaer eventually got the boot.

This rewriting of history just to fit the Rangnick narrative is getting more and more ridiculous. I'm sure people are just making stuff up now.

Lyng

Wrong again! There were clamours for a reset even before Solskjaer eventually got the boot.

This rewriting of history just to fit the Rangnick narrative is getting more and more ridiculous. I'm sure people are just making stuff up now.
Its exactly what happened. I vividly remember several in the old thread laughing at the idea that this team needed this many new players. Ole's second place finish with the same squad was given repeatedly as the prove that Rangnick was wrong.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He was a consultant yes. No one knows what was in the contract or was there going to be a new contract? All speculation. Just because we don't know we cannot conveniently assume he had no power. It just going to one extreme to make a point. Point is, for once there was an insider who was making right noise and now he is gone for whatever reason. Even if we assume there was 1 in thousand chance of him getting it done then it is still better than outsiders like we and Gary Neville who have zero chance of getting done what we want. Our noise is just....noise. His noise was carrying weight however tiny it might be.
So are you saying that United have never listened to the 'noise' as you unfairly put it? We just saw it again with the Arnautovic transfer. Rangnick's 'noise' carried no weight whatsoever....he left to manage Austria. He lost all credibility by the shitshow of an interim manager role he had for 6 months.

And enough of the "well his strength was building clubs, not managing teams" bullshit. After that abject performance (which, let's be clear, WAS HIS MAIN BRIEF), I would not have him anywhere near the club, full stop!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Its exactly what happened. I vividly remember several in the old thread laughing at the idea that this team needed this many new players. Ole's second place finish with the same squad was given repeatedly as the prove that Rangnick was wrong.
Yeah on paper it did look great and everyone was optimistic at the start of the season when we got Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo. But when it started getting toxic for Solskjaer, everyone knew things had to change, especially with the players.

proper revisionism going on.
For real!

Tony247

So are you saying that United have never listened to the 'noise' as you unfairly put it? We just saw it again with the Arnautovic transfer. Rangnick's 'noise' carried no weight whatsoever....he left to manage Austria. He lost all credibility by the shitshow of an interim manager role he had for 6 months.

And enough of the "well his strength was building clubs, not managing teams" bullshit. After that abject performance (which, let's be clear, WAS HIS MAIN BRIEF), I would not have him anywhere near the club, full stop!
It's okay. We can carry on with our own opinions and deductions.

Lyng

Yeah on paper it did look great and everyone was optimistic at the start of the season when we got Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo. But when it started getting toxic for Solskjaer, everyone knew things had to change, especially with the players.
But then why did some people use Solskjaers 2nd place finish to bash Rangnicks comments about the squad?

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
What about Ralf's win ratio over his 31 games vs Solskjaer's last 31 games, that would be a fair comparison no?

Win ratio in all competitions is a better comparison than PPG.
To be fair, is it possible to compare RR's stats with any other 'Interim Manager' & not necessarily at Manchester United? Probably not, because as far as I'm aware that job title has never been conferred onto a coach, before this. I think it was a bold experiment to do so, but it brings me onto something else: things at Man United are just far to open. Is it because you have shareholders so certain information e.g. staffing has to be in the public domain? Why didn't they make the arrangement with Ralf Rangnick - Manager 6 months/Consultant 24 months - but keep it secret from almost everyone, including the players. He may have had a chance then.

By not doing so he was basically a supply teacher. Worse than that, he was a supply teacher who on his first day shouted at the kids (you lot need to sort yourselves out, stop looking miserable all the time etc. etc.) Rookie error. Then he wanted several of them 'expelled' and replaced with better pupils! Like I said, if it was secret that he was a temporary manager, a hardline approach may have worked, but having the job title 'interim manager' was setting him up to fail. Could he have been less divisive and tried the softly-softly approach? Well I don't think so, because that was Ole Gunnar Solskjærs way of working and that failed too. It was a catch-22 situation.

I have a couple of questions (save me googling): was the Ralf Rangnick arrangement terminated before or after Erik Ten Hag signed up to be the new full-time manager? I ask, because I am curious to know if ETH would have been Ok working under a 'consultant'* and how would that have been different from working under a Director of Football or an ex-Manager/ex-Captain 'thinktank' as he has to now.

*The fact Ralf Rangnick had struggled for 6 months did in my opinion make the plan slightly problematic: how could RR be a consultant supporting ETH off the back off his poor results and 6th place finish, but as I indicated earlier, if it hadn't been common knowledge that he was 'interim', maybe his results would have been better. I assume that even if RR had got a new-manager bounce and finished 4th, the club would have still employed ETH anyway, yes?

afrocentricity

Thats all.
No cult, no statues.
Where have I said that then? Actually I think there were smarter ways to go about it. The man got fired (according to some on here), I doubt that was what was intended. Doesn't make you an idiot though.... Naive?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think United need 10 new players, and even if they did in some broad sense, they should not bring in 10 players in one transfer window. It's an insane number.

Halftrack

I dont believe that. He has an extensive knowledge of talented players, can negotiate and continue to give feedback to EtH regarding his team. Sobit could have made a big difference
Negotiate what? He was supposed to be a consultant in an advisory role a few days a month, he'd have no power or authority to negotiate anytjing. And if EtH isn't interested in his feedback, what's the use in giving it?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Negotiate what? He was supposed to be a consultant in an advisory role a few days a month, he'd have no power or authority to negotiate anytjing. And if EtH isn't interested in his feedback, what's the use in giving it?
He can support and advice. We badly needed that

Foxbatt

Some people are assuming that he was a consultant to ETH. I don't think he ever was. We don't know that. It's more likely that he is a consultant to the club and the DOF and ETH should have no say in it whatsoever.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Some people are assuming that he was a consultant to ETH. I don't think he ever was. We don't know that. It's more likely that he is a consultant to the club and the DOF and ETH should have no say in it whatsoever.
its pointless to have a consultant, that isn't trusted.

In the pre-game press conference against Brighton EtH said the following:

A lot of your predecessors here have been frustrated or perhaps surprised at the difficulty of bringing in players for a club of Manchester United's size - how do you feel about the activity in the transfer market this summer and would you have expected to have those players in place for the start of the season?
"That would be a good situation, but I have a squad and I'm happy with the squad, the current squad, they make good progress, I'm happy with the signings until now. We just don't need any player, you need the right players and that's the point, where we're working all together."

Would you be happy not to sign anymore if, as you say, they're not the right players?
"If it's not the right player, no. Then I'm happy with the current squad. We need the right players."

Just on that, you're obviously very clear that you want to a holding midfielder and you're very heavily linked with Frenkie de Jong, are you getting to a point though now where you might have to draw a line under that and get an alternative player in, or are you prepared to wait and wait and wait with him and if you don't get him, leave it and wait until another transfer window?
"We want Frenkie? I don't know. It's about the right players and there are many, but I cannot give comments about a player who is under contract in another club. When we have news, we will bring it."

But for you and your style of play, the importance of the holding midfielder to that role, can you stomach the idea of the transfer window closing and a player of that ilk not coming in, is that acceptable to you?
"You work with the current squad and then you develop players who are in your current squad. In this moment, there are players in that position, and they are performing really well."

this is more or less the opposite of RR's position. Some might want to shrug this off as an empty statement, that was just made to calm the media, but United acted exactly as if they believed it. After the first game, that sentiment changed dramatically and after the second game the management seems to be in a state of existential panic.

stevoc

To be fair, is it possible to compare RR's stats with any other 'Interim Manager' & not necessarily at Manchester United? Probably not, because as far as I'm aware that job title has never been conferred onto a coach, before this. I think it was a bold experiment to do so, but it brings me onto something else: things at Man United are just far to open. Is it because you have shareholders so certain information e.g. staffing has to be in the public domain? Why didn't they make the arrangement with Ralf Rangnick - Manager 6 months/Consultant 24 months - but keep it secret from almost everyone, including the players. He may have had a chance then.

By not doing so he was basically a supply teacher. Worse than that, he was a supply teacher who on his first day shouted at the kids (you lot need to sort yourselves out, stop looking miserable all the time etc. etc.) Rookie error. Then he wanted several of them 'expelled' and replaced with better pupils! Like I said, if it was secret that he was a temporary manager, a hardline approach may have worked, but having the job title 'interim manager' was setting him up to fail. Could he have been less divisive and tried the softly-softly approach? Well I don't think so, because that was Ole Gunnar Solskjærs way of working and that failed too. It was a catch-22 situation.

I have a couple of questions (save me googling): was the Ralf Rangnick arrangement terminated before or after Erik Ten Hag signed up to be the new full-time manager? I ask, because I am curious to know if ETH would have been Ok working under a 'consultant'* and how would that have been different from working under a Director of Football or an ex-Manager/ex-Captain 'thinktank' as he has to now.

*The fact Ralf Rangnick had struggled for 6 months did in my opinion make the plan slightly problematic: how could RR be a consultant supporting ETH off the back off his poor results and 6th place finish, but as I indicated earlier, if it hadn't been common knowledge that he was 'interim', maybe his results would have been better. I assume that even if RR had got a new-manager bounce and finished 4th, the club would have still employed ETH anyway, yes?

There have been plenty of Interim managers/coaches over the years. The terms are largely interchangeable everyone knows who is in charge at any particular team whether or not they have the title manager or Head coach.

And Rangnick was officially terminated after Ten Hag took over and did his first press conference etc.

On the last one yeah I don't think anyone (except Ralf) was thinking of the possibility that he would stay on, ETH or another manager was always going to be hired.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
What about Ralf's win ratio over his 31 games vs Solskjaer's last 31 games, that would be a fair comparison no?

Win ratio in all competitions is a better comparison than PPG.
Why focus on win ratio when points per game is a more accurate statistic ? You do know there's such a thing as drawing games ? In which both sides get a point ?

stevoc

Why focus on win ratio when points per game is a more accurate statistic ? You do know there's such a thing as drawing games ? In which both sides get a point ?
It's obviously a more accurate statistic to gauge league form but win ratio is a better indicator of overall form in all competitions.

You do know there's such a thing as drawing games ?
I've heard rumours yes.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

As a manager at United his record was extremely poor. And his record at other clubs were not great either. His experience was in building clubs. So why on earth did they not use him for what he was good at and then use him for what he was not good at? Show how shite the management of the club is.

OrcaFat

As a manager at United his record was extremely poor. And his record at other clubs were not great either. His experience was in building clubs. So why on earth did they not use him for what he was good at and then use him for what he was not good at? Show how shite the management of the club is.
100% agree. Even if you didn’t know all that, it was obvious just looking at him that he could not cope with the demands of day-to-day management; he didn’t have the energy for it or the desire to do it. Possibly he thought he could do it before he took the role, who knows, but if so, he soon realised it was a mistake.

I don’t know if there was someone else at the club who could have taken over the interim coaching role so that he could get on with the “upstairs” bit but that might have been better than him soldiering on getting more knackered and more depressed.

NZT-One

100% agree. Even if you didn’t know all that, it was obvious just looking at him that he could not cope with the demands of day-to-day management; he didn’t have the energy for it or the desire to do it. Possibly he thought he could do it before he took the role, who knows, but if so, he soon realised it was a mistake.

I don’t know if there was someone else at the club who could have taken over the interim coaching role so that he could get on with the “upstairs” bit but that might have been better than him soldiering on getting more knackered and more depressed.
Never had the impression that he was depressed or anything. Lets not go painting the picture more colorful than it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.