Ralph Hasenhüttl

prateik

Its not like he won anything.. or qualified for anything.. or that they were having a terrible season and this turns things around.. Or even a case of them outplaying the champions.

They scored at the start and defended for 90 minutes.. which is fine.. they deserved the win.. but its hardly the highlight of his career.. or anyone's career..

Villa scored 7 .. that was genuinely impressive.. Forget being on another level to this result.. it was a few levels above this..

Getting a 1-0 win in a league game is not something that brings normal people to tears.. Either there was something else going on.. or he massively over reacted.

They took 3 points off Liverpool.. I'm delighted.. more of the same please.

Needham

Getting a 1-0 win in a league game is not something that brings normal people to tears.. Either there was something else going on.. or he massively over reacted.
This virus affects people's sense of proportion.

Glorio

It is ok if he felt emotional and cried in happiness. Everyone has their own points of happiness. But then he should keep his trap shut asking teams to not celebrate comebacks.
Exactly ... Took a pop at our players for celebrating when we won them in dramatic fashion, and then breaks down in tears after holding on from the 2nd minute in a game.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pep Guardiola when he won his first Club World Cup for Barca.

Although I agree Hasenhüttl reaction was over the top as if he won a cup game. It seems he regards defeating a champion as some kind of pinnacle of achievements?
I am asking the poster a question cause he's suggesting people don't cry when elated.

AkaAkuma

Maybe he's had a hard time lately alongside preparing for this match.

Ive not seen any of his interviews, whats his character like?

DRM

It was a bit OTT.

But, I don;t know what's going on with his personal life, wasn't he missing from the last game due to Covid? Maybe he's feeling a bit emotional.

crossy1686

career ending
I think that was probably a year in the making, don't forget they got hammered 9-1 or whatever it was and his job was on the line for a long time. Vindicated last night.

troylocker

Its not like he won anything.. or qualified for anything.. or that they were having a terrible season and this turns things around.. Or even a case of them outplaying the champions.

They scored at the start and defended for 90 minutes.. which is fine.. they deserved the win.. but its hardly the highlight of his career.. or anyone's career..

Villa scored 7 .. that was genuinely impressive.. Forget being on another level to this result.. it was a few levels above this..

They took 3 points off Liverpool.. I'm delighted.. more of the same please.
What's wrong with showing emotions in sports? I would love to see a lot more of that. I'm pretty sure beating Liverpool and Klopp was high on his bucketlist.

Bwuk

Perfect audition for him as next Liverpool manager, was very dipperish of him, Liverpool fans love a good cry!
Id hope not! He’s a great manager. After Klopp they need to go back to the tried and tested, Rafa, Hodgson, Kenny etc.

stu_1992

Unless there's another angle to all of this that we are unaware of, a personal issue for example, then his reaction was way over-the-top. Yes we've seen outpourings of emotions before and that's perfectly fine when you've actually achieved something worth celebrating. This all seems a bit much for a random Premier League game. Yes they are the defending champions, be hardly a be-all and end-all game for anyone involved there.

Davie Moyes

Let's give him the benefit of doubt. He missed a game recently due to Covid or something. There must be more to it.

Even if there is not I'd love more teams beating Liverpool and their Managers getting emotional!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
People have mentioned him being a potential United manager and I had an open mind about this before last night's match but I've changed my mind.

Crying after a fairly innocuous win is a bit embarrassing to be honest.

spiriticon

It does seem strangely emotional for what is a routine Premier League match, but as others have said maybe there's more to it and we shouldn't judge.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
What's over the top are all those negative reactions. Let the man enjoy his win after hanging on for 90 minutes.

RedChisel

Maybe it was a realisation of how far he has come in his career and the emotion got the better of him. Perhaps he's always looked up to Klopp and beating him meant alot. We shouldn't judge and get all macho because a man had a cry.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
What's over the top are all those negative reactions. Let the man enjoy his win after hanging on for 90 minutes.
Cying men still seem to be somewhat of a taboo, it seems. Crying still considered a kind of weakness that has no place within a certain image of masculinity. Internet warriors carry that image too, I guess, as ridiculous as it sounds.

rotherham_red

I mean, guy was on the brink of being sacked at one point and being called a fraud, after a tumultuous year thats been hard on everyone he earns a hard fought victory over the manager he admires and has everyone changing their minds about him. Why are people ragging on him for being emotional?
Was he? I mean, Hassenhuttl was a pretty under the radar signing, with only those who took an active interest in Bundesliga knowing of him, and literally no one outside of Southampton's fanbase cares for Southampton enough to call their manager a fraud.

They certainly didn't when they had Adkins, Pellegrino, Hughes, Koeman and pretty much every other manager they've had since they came back.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Cying men still seem to be somewhat of a taboo, it seems. Crying still considered a kind of weakness that has no place within a certain image of masculinity. Internet warriors carry that image too, I guess, as ridiculous as it sounds.
I don't think anyone has a problem with a man crying, I blub at most Disney movies. Its the fact it was a mid season match where they beat an out of form Liverpool team 1-0, I have no issue with him with a man crying it just seemed a bit out of context.

Classical Mechanic

People have mentioned him being a potential United manager and I had an open mind about this before last night's match but I've changed my mind.

I feel the same. There's no way I want the attention seeking shitcoat Nagelsmann either. Purely because of his attention seeking shitcoats.

Last edited:

poleglass red

after our victory in Nov over them Mr Hasenhuttl said “They are celebrating in there like they have won the Premier League, you know", he was celebrating like he'd just done the treble. Fair play to him and that, but maybe now in hindsight he understands our celebrations.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
after our victory in Nov over them Mr Hasenhuttl said “They are celebrating in there like they have won the Premier League, you know", he was celebrating like he'd just done the treble. Fair play to him and that, but maybe now in hindsight he understands our celebrations.
No, the quote is this: “You can hear them (Man Utd) celebrating in their dressing room. You know what you have done today and how tough an opponent you have been because they were celebrating like they had won the Premier League." He wasn't saying that the players shouldn't celebrate, but brought up the celebration as a compliment to his own team.

As I said before, it's sad to see how everyone just wants to interpret that as intended negatively towards United. (And also how judgmental many are is about him crying - without even caring about possible context.)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No, the quote is this: “You can hear them (Man Utd) celebrating in their dressing room. You know what you have done today and how tough an opponent you have been because they were celebrating like they had won the Premier League." He wasn't saying that the players shouldn't celebrate, but brought up the celebration as a compliment to his own team.

As I said before, it's sad to see how everyone just wants to interpret that as intended negatively towards United. (And also how judgmental many are is about him crying - without even caring about possible context.)
Welcome to Cafe- there are only 2 extremes.

If he cries, he is an emotional maniac (apparently a manager is not supposed to cry because it's embarrassing).

If he appreciates his team by using our victory, then he is an arrogant guy who just can't take defeats .

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The crying is a bit attention seeking i agree.

If you have won the treble, i can understand.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Thought the crying was a bit OTT for me considering it was a single league game, but hey, maybe he's a highly emotional guy and that's how he reacts under big pressure.

Like him as a coach though, I wouldn't have minded him here. Plays some decent football and seems like a likeable character.

NYAS

You have no idea why he was crying. It’s probable that something personal has happened behind the scenes in the lead-up to the game that contributed to his emotions.

poleglass red

if you read my email I said fair play to him, I didn't reference him crying. You mention context which was my point, we were 2 nil down and came back and won, we celebrated, he himself referenced it, he felt it was comparable to us celebrating like we'd won the PL, which is a nice way of saying it was a bit OTT. Celebrations in general tend to be ott, his certainly was yesterday,all good though.