Ralph Hasenhüttl

SAFMUTD

Another total meltdown from his team, not long ago they also conceded 9 against Leicester. Now they own the worst two results in the history of the premier league. He has them playing great and I think punching above their weight but definitely there's something wrong with his coaching. They cant just switch off like that, after a 4-0 as a manager you should get the breaks on and apply the damage control plan.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't Wigan have a few mass hammerings under Roberto Martinez?

Didn't stop him getting a good top 8 job and now managing one of best nations in world football.

Hasenhuttl did good work at Ingolstadt and Leipzig.

9 nil ain't a good look but it wouldn't have got anywhere near that but for the ridiculous challenge by the kid in the first minute, would've been more 2 or 3-0 Man. United. I know you can close ranks going down to 10 men but that's generally when there's only 20-30 minutes left and you might have something to hold onto.

Overall he's done well although bottom half finish would be disappointing given how they've generally played up to now.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I still think he's a good manager that has done a really good job with Southampton. It's a night where everything went wrong for them, and we punished them ruthlessly. I found his post-match press conference pretty interesting, he seemed to answer all the questions really well/calmly.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Forgot you were in my head, of course I wasn’t referring to him saying, “When you hear [United] celebrating in their dressing room then you realise what you have done today and how tough an opponent you have been. They are celebrating in there like they have won the Premier League, you know.

Pretty clear to me his praise is rather damning but to each he own, I don’t rate the comments.

Next time ask for clarification before assumption. I knew/know exactly what he said.
Clearly you do, but we're talking interpretation here. He's trying to praise his own team by bigging up how happy United were with the win. @do.ob's quote is further evidence that he's not trying to talk down United. I have no idea why you would want to interpret that as him trying to be negative about United; it just isn't there. Isn't it nicer to think that people aren't snide?

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's obviously a very good manager but losing 9-0 twice is very funny. Pretty much everything that could've gone wrong for them did go wrong. Not helped by that pillock getting sent off after 72 seconds either. I'm still interested to see what he can do with a bit of backing at Southampton.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Anyone else notice the centre half booting the ball straight out for a throw immediately after kick off after Bruno’s goal ?

Brought back bad memories of Joey fecking Barton
That was brainless.

If they wanted it over and done with, kick off as normal and pass it around a little wastes more time than booting it right back to us.

Giggs86

In the close-ups on his face after each goal they conceded he looked like he just saw his dog getting shot every single time for 9 times (12 if we're including their disallowed goal and their 2 red cards). That look of shock and disbelief :lol:

romufc

No sympathy for him after seeing what he said after the away game
Same here. He was probably hoping for Ole to tell the players to slow down and respect the opponents.

Unfortunately for him, we need to up our goal difference and alot of our players needed goals for confidence.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Another total meltdown from his team, not long ago they also conceded 9 against Leicester. Now they own the worst two results in the history of the premier league. He has them playing great and I think punching above their weight but definitely there's something wrong with his coaching. We cant just switch off like that, after a 4-0 as a manager you should get the breaks on and apply the damage control plan.
It looked like they started doing that. I thought they came out for the 2nd half with a good attitude, and their defending form that point resembled the Sheff United game, where we were forced to go sideways. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half made it look like the game would end 4-0.

Then they just seemed to decide they were going to try and mount a comeback, or score a couple of goals for some pride at least, and their plan fell apart from there.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He's obviously a very good manager but losing 9-0 twice is very funny. Pretty much everything that could've gone wrong for them did go wrong. Not helped by that pillock getting sent off after 72 seconds either. I'm still interested to see what he can do with a bit of backing at Southampton.
He’ll replace Mou at Spurs and get them back in the Champions League. It’s nailed on to happen.

Pagh Wraith

People read way too much into freak results.
This.

Liverpool lost 0-5 against City playing with 10 men for 55 minutes. United lost 1-6 to Spurs with 10 men for 65 minutes. And those were between two more or less evenly matched teams. Southampton were down to 10 for the entire match against a much better team. And even then it was only 6-0 until they had another one sent off. The result is really irrelevant.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They should’ve done some damage control after 2 or 3. Tactics were naive. But it’s better to have one freak result in a season to get it back on track.

Having said that, this would’ve done serious damage to the chances of his appointments for the real big jobs. One 9-0 could’ve been brushed off as one freak day, but to have the same thing happen again will be a stain which is harder to remove. Personally, hoping he bounces back.
It's only a stain to armchair managers. At competent clubs the whole resume will be evaluated and he has more pros than cons. And anyone who raises an eyebrow at a 9-0 inflicted after 2 red cards is a pedant. At best.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This.

Liverpool lost 0-5 against City playing with 10 men for 55 minutes. United lost 1-6 to Spurs with 10 men for 65 minutes. And those were between two more or less evenly matched teams. Southampton were down to 10 for the entire match against a much better team. And even then it was only 6-0 until they had another one sent off. The result is really irrelevant.
This.

Nickelodeon

It's only a stain to armchair managers. At competent clubs the whole resume will be evaluated and he has more pros than cons. And anyone who raises an eyebrow at a 9-0 inflicted after 2 red cards is a pedant. At best.
I don't disagree with the fact that this should be looked as a one-off. The only thing is that if he makes a move to a bigger club and runs into a patchy bit of form, the 9-0's will always be used by the media as a stick to beat him with.

No Spring Chicken

Honestly, I think both Southampton and Hasenhuttl were scarred by the first 9-0 defeat. Even though they finished last season outstandingly well, the narrative was "ever since the 9-0 defeat...". It just defined their season.

Once it became obvious 9 goals was a possibility, they started to brick it. I think that's why one of their defenders just hoofed it into touch wildly after the restart for the 7th goal. They had quarter of an hour with 2 men down against a team in form and 2 goals to go before they reached that dreaded number again. They kept showing Hasenhuttl's reaction on BT after the 6th, 7th etc goals and as more goals went in he looked more and more animated. Most mangers look increasingly resigned at that point. I think he just knew that another 9-0 defeat would yet again define the season, maybe even define his time as manager at the club.

Reactions: Invictus

tomaldinho1

Didn't Wigan have a few mass hammerings under Roberto Martinez?

Didn't stop him getting a good top 8 job and now managing one of best nations in world football.

Hasenhuttl did good work at Ingolstadt and Leipzig.

9 nil ain't a good look but it wouldn't have got anywhere near that but for the ridiculous challenge by the kid in the first minute, would've been more 2 or 3-0 Man. United. I know you can close ranks going down to 10 men but that's generally when there's only 20-30 minutes left and you might have something to hold onto.

Overall he's done well although bottom half finish would be disappointing given how they've generally played up to now.
I'm pretty sure Wigan lost 9-1 to Spurs with 11 players :annoyed: (was a while back though so memory is hazy)

poleglass red

I think in this game eyebrows were raised at 1 red card, the reaction to that was pretty much to crumble. He has injuries etc, mitigating factors for sure, but this is a mid table PL team not some non league team playing against a pl team in fa cup 3rd round. His and the teams reaction was poor to the early red. We haven't been exactly banging in the goals recently in league, I think 7 in last 7 league games or something close to that and our home form has been patchy. We constantly bang on about how competitive our league is, teams shouldn't be conceding 9 goals regardless of the situation. This isn't the first time this has happened, they obviously haven't learned their lesson. He gets his plaudits and rightly so but he has to be called out when he gets it horribly wrong as he did here.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm pretty sure Wigan lost 9-1 to Spurs with 11 players :annoyed: (was a while back though so memory is hazy)
Yep and also Chelsea 8-0 last day of 09/10 season. Man. United also used to batter Wigan 4 or 5 nil most games in that period (bar the infamous one at back end of 11/12....)

I think a big thing for Southampton now is FA cup. They're drifting into mid table in prem so they won't be in european shake up but they can certainly get to FA cup final if the draw remains o.k and they can get some of the key players back. Was only a few years ago they were giving Man. United an excellent game in league cup final and on another day they'd have won that.

Winning FA cup pushed Martinez up given the next jobs he took and think it would be same for Hasenhuttl although many will have already noted his Bundesliga work at Leipzig as proof of what he can do with better calibre of players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
This.

Had completely forgot about Liverpool 5-0 loss to Man. City a few seasons back, was that the red where Mane crashed into Ederson? Gives me another one to look up the amount of injury time played so cheers! ;) Answer 3 minutes. :drool:

Varun

Staff
This.

Bang on.

romufc

This.

I agree that you cannot read too much into this result. However; for a team that struggles to score goals, its a big confidence boost to score goals and get some players back in the goals.

Secondly, this was not the narrative when Manutd lost to Spurs, it was all about how bad Ole is, how bad his tactics were, how naive of a manager he is etc....

In actual fact in that game we were already 2-1 down and he was sent off in the 20th minute... add to that the players had no pre season.. people were quick to criticise then.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree that you cannot read too much into this result. However; for a team that struggles to score goals, its a big confidence boost to score goals and get some players back in the goals.

Secondly, this was not the narrative when Manutd lost to Spurs, it was all about how bad Ole is, how bad his tactics were, how naive of a manager he is etc....

In actual fact in that game we were already 2-1 down and he was sent off in the 20th minute... add to that the players had no pre season.. people were quick to criticise then.
Which was also a poor narrative; more reflective of the Caf's wild mood swings on Ole than reality. But two wrongs don't make a right. (Do I sound too much like a parent there? :) )

romufc

Which was also a poor narrative; more reflective of the Caf's wild mood swings on Ole than reality. But two wrongs don't make a right. (Do I sound too much like a parent there? :) )
Agreed, it was a poor narrative which is what I am pointing out.

We have to be cautious, last thing we want is the players to get complacent again and produce a stinker against Everton.

Glorio

Agreed, it was a poor narrative which is what I am pointing out.

We have to be cautious, last thing we want is the players to get complacent again and produce a stinker against Everton.
And this side gets notoriously complacent after good outings

romufc

And this side gets notoriously complacent after good outings
This is the biggest worry, after every good result comes a shocker.

PSG away followed by poor form
Finished top 4 last season then came poor form
Leipzig at home then came poor form
Liverpool home then came SU and Arsenal

I just hope we have learnt that we need to be humble in victory, 1 good performance does not make you the best team, you have to do it over the season.

tomaldinho1

I think most posters were pretty understanding of the 1-6 loss and the injustice of Martial seeing red but not Lamela.

It should be said that we are also a lot closer to Spurs in our overall level though than So'ton are to us - in a way City winning 5-0 against Liverpool, Spurs beating us 6-1 are more 'shocking' results given there is no gulf in quality between the individual players.

romufc

I think most posters were pretty understanding of the 1-6 loss and the injustice of Martial seeing red but not Lamela.

It should be said that we are also a lot closer to Spurs in our overall level though than So'ton are to us - in a way City winning 5-0 against Liverpool, Spurs beating us 6-1 are more 'shocking' results given there is no gulf in quality between the individual players.
Teams have gone down to 10 men, you don't see these scorelines so I would disagree, this was a shocking result.

The goal difference is 5-0 in those, this was 9. Even with the gulf difference, you don't often see these results. They are freak results.

Glorio

It's very interesting that his team hit a patch of bad form after the tears from the Liverpool win.

I wonder if the emotional payload subconsciously caused him (or the team) to take the foot off the gas a bit

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's very interesting that his team hit a patch of bad form after the tears from the Liverpool win.

I wonder if the emotional payload subconsciously caused him (or the team) to take the foot off the gas a bit
I’d say it’s more a case of losing so many key players at a time when they could least afford to. They were nowhere near as bad as the defeats to Villa, Arsenal and Leicester suggest, in fact they were more than even but the loss of key personnel has hurt them.
Yes they have been defensively naive but it’s his style of play. If he had his players back maybe they would have been more pragmatic who knows. We’ll have to wait and see but emotionally his team were a mess after the first sending off.
Having said that credit must go to Shaw and AWB for stretching them wide and creating space to attack the fragile centre. Everything clicked for us and it wasn’t all Southampton’s doing.

Idxomer

Half of his starting lineup is missing through injuries.

romufc

9 to be exact
SU had the same problem last week, they managed to get a result out of us. To say they were missing 9 starters is a lie.

They had Ings, Che Adams, Ward Prowse, Bedrarek, McCarthy, Bertrand all playing which is half the first 11.

tomaldinho1

Teams have gone down to 10 men, you don't see these scorelines so I would disagree, this was a shocking result.

The goal difference is 5-0 in those, this was 9. Even with the gulf difference, you don't often see these results. They are freak results.
It's a head turner for sure but with context - weaker team, literally half the first team out, entire game with ten men and then three goals scored with 9 men - I think it's illogical to then say City 5-0 Liverpool or Spurs 6-1 United isn't just as much of a shock (if not more) because a few less goals were scored.

Bestofthebest

I believe Ralph Hassenhuttle was asked if he would comment on last nights game he replied “Nein”