Randal Kolo Muani

TsuWave

Jassim needs to hurry up - we have a shopping spree to go on :drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know how good he can be but he is definitely fun to watch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He might just be the one (after Mame Diouf, of course).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't know how good he can be but he is definitely fun to watch.
Every time I've watched him, he seems to just make stuff happen. Not sure what it is about him, but seems to always have an impact.

RVN1991

The quoted price is Antony levels of insanity but he definitely looks like a useful player and seems to be improving, I had never heard of him before the WC but he impressed minus his erratic finishing although his numbers in Germany this season have been good all around.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've seen enough. He's the best player in the world. Bring him to the theatre :drool:
He just might be the one.

There’s no perfect candidate on the market and I suspect if we want perfect we will have to gamble on an option that has all the characteristics but not yet as proven as we would like. It’s either get a top class striker and adapt to him, or get an RKM, Ferguson, Sesko kind of option and hope they make the step up.

ElectroManiac

I think Ten Hag likes a CF that has a similar profile of what Martial have minus the injuries, and I think Kolo Muani is closes that we can get to that profile. I honestly prefer we go for Osimhen though

SAFMUTD

I just dont see it in him. He's a fast player playing in the Bundesliga with huge spaces. I see nothing to suggest he's a top dollar player, 120M? absolute nonsense. Wouldnt even pay 50-60M for him.

TsuWave

I watched that video twice and I saw things to be impressed by, with "fast" being the last. Like there's a lot of technical markers/dribbling, and even vision in that video. The main take away being "he's fast" is kinda crazy to me. That's just me though.

Also think people shouldn't get too worked up with arbitrary valuations random tabloids come up with.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His passing is why I prefer him to Osimhen but he is still too overpriced at 120 million.

aeh1991

He's nothing more than an okay backup option if both Osimhen or Kane deals fall through. Wouldn't pay more than 80m, which I still think is too high.
Osimhen feels like a special player and Kane is proven. Not sure about Muani. There is a good player there, but the fact that he's playing in Bundesliga bothers me.

Drizzle

His passing is why I prefer him to Osimhen but he is still too overpriced at 120 million.
I know what you mean, he looks like a more rounded footballer than Osimhen, a provider of assists as well as goals. But Osimhen just has that something special, he's a killer in the box. A rare commodity.

Anyway, this Muani lad actually looks pretty good. But don't we deserve something more than pretty good?

avgp_1

He currently doesn't get too many chances with Frankfurt being a team that sits back and plays a lot on the counter. And even then he is mostly involved in creating those opportunities. I wouldn't judge him based on that, his ability to skip past challenges and link up with others will aid us to play the ball to his feet. He has a lot of upside to his game

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know what you mean, he looks like a more rounded footballer than Osimhen, a provider of assists as well as goals. But Osimhen just has that something special, he's a killer in the box. A rare commodity.

Anyway, this Muani lad actually looks pretty good. But don't we deserve something more than pretty good?
I think Osimhen is the better player but Muani fits our team better.

One of the main reasons I think he might be a better choice though is primarily because of what Ten Hag & McCarthy have done with Rashford’s finishing.

If Ten Hag and McCarthy can work on Muani’s finishing then he becomes a very creative striker that can score goals.

Im not sure if the opposite can happen to Osimhen - where we teach him hold up play, interlink play and passing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The quoted price is Antony levels of insanity but he definitely looks like a useful player and seems to be improving, I had never heard of him before the WC but he impressed minus his erratic finishing although his numbers in Germany this season have been good all around.
If you mean his basic goals and assists numbers, sure. His underlying stats (which have more predictive value) have been very mediocre though, even without taking the context of the league he plays in into account.

So much so that having not actually seen him play, I'm slightly baffled to see anyone argue that this could be the guy ahead of the likes of Osimhen or Kane. He must be doing some pretty fantastic things neither the stats nor the highlights video above capture but so far nobody's description of him in this thread has really explained away that discrepancy for me.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I remember seeing someone from Brighton’s scouting describe Mitoma before he made a mark in the PL. It was something like ‘we don’t know how he will adjust to the PL and his game is not that well rounded, but he is really really good at beating his man. That is more or less the reason we signed him.’

If you can give a player a role where he can play to his strength — then the chance for that player succeeding ten folds.

This is also from my point of view the big difference between us up and till now and City under Pep. If Pep handpicked a winger for his system, it’s hard to see how that winger could fail. Meanwhile guys like Alexi Sanchez and co had a really tough job for us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I just dont see it in him. He's a fast player playing in the Bundesliga with huge spaces. I see nothing to suggest he's a top dollar player, 120M? absolute nonsense. Wouldnt even pay 50-60M for him.
Of course the price tag is crazy, but so is your take also.

TsuWave

I like Osimhen but he doesn’t have feet and technical ability like Kolo Muani.

I mean Osimhen is an outstanding finisher and works hard, but I like my players to be better on/with the ball

Okey

How on earth are these figures being quoted for this lad? Unheard of before the world cup, and frankly, while a good striker, I can't see where they're getting a 100m valuation from.

Edit: Not to mention he cost Frankfurt nothing!

MUFC OK

Looks like a nightmare to play against for defenders.

I think Osimhen is the better player but I’d definitely have no issues with Muani - seems to be a great creator too.

MUFC OK

Good point RE bundesliga. Osimhen is putting up better numbers in a league renowned for tight defences.

JPRouve

Scout
Good point RE bundesliga. Osimhen is putting up better numbers in a league renowned for tight defences.
Serie A hasn't had tight defences in more than a decade. Nowadays it's a regular league that trends toward high scoring more than tight defenses and has been closer to Bundesliga than the PL or Ligue 1.

In the past 5 years the ranking for goals per game has been La Liga < Ligue 1 < Premier League < Serie A < Bundesliga.

NLunited

Watched some highlights but that doesn‘t tell me much. Lots of space and lots of dribbling.

How does he do against a tight defense? We don‘t need another player that we need to create space for, but someone to occupy and pull around defenders.

Absolutely mental price tag for a ‚fit Martial‘.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure the tighter defences argument particularly holds, classic a stereotype though it is.

The more basic point is simply how much better Osimhen's numbers are. If you projected their current numbers across a every minute of a full 38 game league season, Osimhen would be "expected" to score an extra 14-15 open play goals. For context, Rashford is currently 4th highest scorer in the PL on 14 goals. On paper at least that's a massive, massive gulf in goal threat.

Even leaving aside lofty comparisons with Osimhen, Muani's 0.37 open play xG per 90 this season (his career best so far) is less than Weghorst's average across his four seasons in the same league (0.42).

Because I haven't seen Muani play I have no real context to place these numbers in, which isn't how stats should be used. But taken in isolation they're certainly poor enough numbers to be an enormous red flag.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Anyone who pays over 50mil for Kolo Muani will be disappointed. 120 mil is just downright hilarious.

romufc

Anyone who pays over 50mil for Kolo Muani will be disappointed. 120 mil is just downright hilarious.
This is the problem, every CF who has a decent - good season attracts attention and the price just automatically becomes 100m.

Its the way football is going now, its all about clips and stats, rather than which player is actually an all round player.

Paying 100m for a CF you expect something like what Lewandowski, Haaland, Benzema were at 22/23. Not just raw talent.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Of course more than 100 million is far too much money for him. But that’s what happens if you don’t buy smart. The issue is not that Frankfurt demand this much money for a newly signed player with a long contract. The issue is that your club seems to seriously consider it a good idea, to try buying a newly signed player with a long contract whom his club doesn’t want to sell.
It’s just not a smart way to business.

Kaos

For the figures quoted I'd rather we honestly take the plunge on Osimhen. Neither is a surefire bet but Osimhen seems safer to me.

Lee565

Spending a massive amount of money on a player that looks good in the Bundesliga, what can go wrong.....

SAFMUTD

Of course the price tag is crazy, but so is your take also.
Why is it crazy? Have we not seen bundesliga players struggle here as premier league doesn't concede the spaces in the back that bundesliga does?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If you mean his basic goals and assists numbers, sure. His underlying stats (which have more predictive value) have been very mediocre though, even without taking the context of the league he plays in into account.

So much so that having not actually seen him play, I'm slightly baffled to see anyone argue that this could be the guy ahead of the likes of Osimhen or Kane. He must be doing some pretty fantastic things neither the stats nor the highlights video above capture but so far nobody's description of him in this thread has really explained away that discrepancy for me.
Not sure the tighter defences argument particularly holds, classic a stereotype though it is.

The more basic point is simply how much better Osimhen's numbers are. If you projected their current numbers across a every minute of a full 38 game league season, Osimhen would be "expected" to score an extra 14-15 open play goals. For context, Rashford is currently 4th highest scorer in the PL on 14 goals. On paper at least that's a massive, massive gulf in goal threat.

Even leaving aside lofty comparisons with Osimhen, Muani's 0.37 open play xG per 90 this season (his career best so far) is less than Weghorst's average across his four seasons in the same league (0.42).

Because I haven't seen Muani play I have no real context to place these numbers in, which isn't how stats should be used. But taken in isolation they're certainly poor enough numbers to be an enormous red flag.
Are you seriously implying you can judge a player, you have never seen, by taking a quick glance at FBref? And what have you even been looking at? Kolo Muani's npxg/90 is actually almost exactly the same as Kane's: 0.37 vs 0.39, the trio also have fairly different playstyles, Osimhen looking like he has a similar profile to Haaland (as in lots of goals, not much for the overall play of his team), whereas Kane and Kolo Muani have similar profiles in the sense that they also progress the ball a lot - Kane via passing, Kolo Muani via carries. They also happen to have almost the indentical xAG/90 meaning their underlying stats for raw output, as in npxG + xAG / 90 are actually dead even at 0.58 vs 0.58.

Not that someone should pay north of €100m for him, or that this proves that he's more than a one hit wonder, but trying to dismiss Kolo Muani like this is up there with the lads, who unironically post "well Serie A is known for having tight defences".

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why is it crazy? Have we not seen bundesliga players struggle here as premier league doesn't concede the spaces in the back that bundesliga does?
Crazy that your reasoning is the league he plays in, and you are making quite some generalisation here.
We have also seen plenty of excellent players in the Bundesliga, Son, Firminho, and Haaland came from the Bundesliga to the PL and have been excellent.
Once again the fee is quite obviously insane (likely because its a "we don't want to sell get lost" fee that is being quoted) but you can't write off a player simply because they are fast and play in the Bundesliga.
He looks like a promising player, but at 120m we should pass

JPRouve

Scout
From the little I have seen from Kolo Muani at Nantes, for France and a little bit for Frankfurt is that he generally stands out, he tries to make things happen, he is willing to press and put some pressure on the ball carrier when he is in his area. Now when his team is in possession is where one can either really like him or maybe not like him at all, he is more of an on ball player, he carries the ball well and tries to link up and create all the time but he isn't an elite off ball threat like Osimhen would be, he is far closer to Martial in the sense that he is happy to drop deep or move wide during the building phase, if you don't take him into account he will create havoc out of the traditional striker area but one of his teammates will have to occupy the space in the middle or at least be an actual threat there, in our case that role is clearly filled by Rashford, so United is at least one of the teams that has an obvious match.

Maybe regular followers of Frankfurt will have a more up-to-date view.

Reactions: Fortitude