Randal Kolo Muani

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Two great goals. The awareness to lose the defender on the first and technique on the second were class.

ElectroManiac

First goal was well taken and nice movement on the box. Second goal I don't know what the keeper was doing all the way out there. Terrible goal keeping. Great awareness from him to spot that though and nice touch to put it pass the keeper

Last edited:

UDontMessWith24

Good for them. That makes it no less weird if football fans decided to read numbers instead of watching football matches. That would almost be a redefining of the word football fan. Probably redefining it to football scout or football analyst, coming to think of it.

And I’m not even sure how scouts watching tape disproves me anyway.
The tone of your post implied they’re completely useless.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
[

The tone of your post implied they’re completely useless.
It is benign for a football fan I believe. I hate the term ‘eye test’ now, as if that is some sort of layman means of observing football. Football is a sport. A game. It is to be watched. Way before this ridiculous stat explosion, all of us were able to watch a football match and decide whether a player had played well or not, or whether he was a good player or not. We had individual awards by game and by season without the need for charts and graphs. Now I read things on here like ‘it’s funny because according to the stats he had x this and y that’ after a unanimously terrible performance and people are now genuinely questioning what they have just finished watching 5 minutes ago because of something they subsequently read.

I blame most of this on the narcissism of Cristiano Ronaldo tbh. I’ve been contemplating starting a wider conversation/thread about it for a while - but before he had to find a stat loophole to argue that he was a better player than a clearly superior player in Messi - everyone was comfortable just watching football and deciding who the best player was. Nobody ever claimed Gerd Muller was the best player ever or even in that conversation, although in today’s game, who knows, he’d probably be claiming he’s better than Messi and that he has the stats to prove it.

Abraxas

This guy could be the full package when you think of someone that can not only score, but also create. That's very good when you've got other forwards like Rashford, especially. It really increases the potential to score more goals across the team. He also looks good physically to say the least. I'm liking the look of this one.

It might be a bit smarter than blowing our load on Osimhen. That's a real budget destroyer. This guy is gonna cost a packet as well of course but there could be a slight saving because Napoli paid huge amounts for Osimhen.

Bojan Djordjic

This guy could be the full package when you think of someone that can not only score, but also create. That's very good when you've got other forwards like Rashford, especially. It really increases the potential to score more goals across the team. He also looks good physically to say the least. I'm liking the look of this one.

It might be a bit smarter than blowing our load on Osimhen. That's a real budget destroyer. This guy is gonna cost a packet as well of course but there could be a slight saving because Napoli paid huge amounts for Osimhen.
How is Osimhen a budget destroyer but this guy isn't? If Osimhen costs 140mn and KMM costs 100mn, I would go for Osimhen every time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With RKM it isn’t even about him being cheaper than Osimhen. For me there is simply the possibility that he might be objectively the best option for us. With younger players I think it is more important to look at the player rather than any random numbers perhaps. That gets rendered irrelevant by December in the first season if you get a signing right. A manager needs to be able to see something in the player. Osimhen is there now. Maybe RKM’s time is next season, in the perfect conditions.

There is no overpriced for me. If you have 100m to spend on a striker. The best value is simply the right player. I’d have no issue with spending big on RKM. I think he has everything we are looking for from what I see in him. The qualities of the player is the most important, along with the mentality. If he has the attributes and you feel that he has the mentality to seize the opportunity and deliver on the big stage, then all he likely needs is the chance. And judging by the way he attacked his opportunity at the World Cup - I am confident that he will deliver the best he can if he joined - whatever that is.

Two more goals last night for the record.

mu4c_20le

I watched the two goals he scored and while the first was a good finish, he found himself in acres of space and it looked like the kind of pass and move that Sancho typically scores. The second one was just idiotic goalkeeping. Reports suggest his price around the 80m region, but it's still pretty steep for potential.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It is benign for a football fan I believe. I hate the term ‘eye test’ now, as if that is some sort of layman means of observing football. Football is a sport. A game. It is to be watched. Way before this ridiculous stat explosion, all of us were able to watch a football match and decide whether a player had played well or not, or whether he was a good player or not. We had individual awards by game and by season without the need for charts and graphs. Now I read things on here like ‘it’s funny because according to the stats he had x this and y that’ after a unanimously terrible performance and people are now genuinely questioning what they have just finished watching 5 minutes ago because of something they subsequently read.

I blame most of this on the narcissism of Cristiano Ronaldo tbh. I’ve been contemplating starting a wider conversation/thread about it for a while - but before he had to find a stat loophole to argue that he was a better player than a clearly superior player in Messi - everyone was comfortable just watching football and deciding who the best player was. Nobody ever claimed Gerd Muller was the best player ever or even in that conversation, although in today’s game, who knows, he’d probably be claiming he’s better than Messi and that he has the stats to prove it.
People used to judge players simply by watching the game. Then it became apparent that combining that with statistics led to better judgement. Thus the stats revolution in football and other sports.

I get that stats-heavy conversations can be tedious, but it seems weird to pine for a time when people objectively knew and understood less about football.

Or to complain about people using stats to counter/qualify assumed subjective opinions derived from watching games, as if that isn't literally one of the main functions that give stats their value. Because, shock horror, people's subjective opinions will often be ill-informed, biased and provably incorrect. And if you want to actually understand the sport you're watching, it's helpful to have those opinions challenged.

Oaencha

He’s a bit unorthodox and tricky with his dribbling. Can use both feet, not great in the air. Realistically neither of our wingers can cross, so that’s a mute point. Anymore than £50m is insane. Every player we are linked with is automatically a £100m player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People used to judge players simply by watching the game. Then it became apparent that combining that with statistics led to better judgement. Thus the stats revolution in football and other sports.

I get that stats-heavy conversations can be tedious, but it seems weird to pine for a time when people objectively knew and understood less about football.

Or to complain about people using stats to counter/qualify assumed subjective opinions derived from watching games, as if that isn't literally one of the main functions that give stats their value. Because, shock horror, people's subjective opinions will often be ill-informed, biased and provably incorrect. And if you want to actually understand the sport you're watching, it's helpful to have those opinions challenged.
I’m fine how I am thanks, I understand football plenty because I’ve watched thousands of football matches.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s a bit unorthodox and tricky with his dribbling. Can use both feet, not great in the air. Realistically neither of our wingers can cross, so that’s a mute point. Anymore than £50m is insane. Every player we are linked with is automatically a £100m player.
That depends completely on the outcome of the transfer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m fine how I am thanks, I understand football plenty because I’ve watched thousands of football matches.
You would need to be arrogant beyond comprehension to think your subjective opinion can't sometimes be wrong or biased. Assuming you're not that much of a dick, stats are useful.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You would need to be arrogant beyond comprehension to think your subjective opinion can't sometimes be wrong or biased. Assuming you're not that much of a dick, stats are useful.
It doesn’t take a huge amount of arrogance for me to be satisfied in my judgement that Harry Maguire is good in the air, Casemiro makes a lot of tackles or De Bruyne makes a lot of chances without having to phone a friend. It takes no arrogance at all to be comfortable in your ability to watch football and interpret what you are seeing. I’m comfortable with that. If I encounter some form of geek who tries to present evidence that Wan-Bissaka is not good at tackling, I am comfortable dismissing it as rubbish. I believe Wan-Bissaka is good at tackling, but I’ve never had to read anything on his tackling ‘numbers’. I watch him play and I am comfortable with my ability to make that assessment.

On the topic of a centre forward, I may think we need a striker who is fast, has the ability to link well, can use both feet etc. Again, I have watched more than football in my life (as have you, in all likelihood) to be able to watch a player and decide whether he possesses those qualities or not.

mav_9me

I highly recommend you leave it alone. He is obviously not going to change his opinion.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Scared of going for Bundesliga players but he seems like a player that could be very hard to deal with in the middle of two inverted forwards.

Passing, Dribbling from deep, some hold up play, pace, through balls and some scoring ability.

I wouldn’t surprise if ten Hag targets him.

Bojan Djordjic

You know who else has watched thousands of football matches? The people who signed Daniel James, Donny Van de Beek, Aaron Wan Bissakka, Paul Pogba (after selling him for tuppence), Martin Dubravka, Cristiano Ronaldo (part deux), Alex Telles and Alexis Sanchez. Everybody in football is confident in their ability to judge football players but somehow its the clubs that integrate advanced data scouting into their recruitment that have had by far the best recruitment outcomes in recent years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You know who else has watched thousands of football matches? The people who signed Daniel James, Donny Van de Beek, Aaron Wan Bissakka, Paul Pogba (after selling him for tuppence), Martin Dubravka, Cristiano Ronaldo (part deux), Alex Telles and Alexis Sanchez. Everybody in football is confident in their ability to judge football players but somehow its the clubs that integrate advanced data scouting into their recruitment that have had by far the best recruitment outcomes in recent years.
Really? Or is it that you, and everyone else, ignores all of the signings that teams like Brighton and Brentford get wrong?

Even aside from that, the point you make or correlation you are trying to draw by listing a load of unsuccessful signings (who were almost certainly also subject to data analysis before signing anyway) makes no sense anyway. At all.

croadyman

Scared of going for Bundesliga players but he seems like a player that could be very hard to deal with in the middle of two inverted forwards.

Passing, Dribbling from deep, some hold up play, pace, through balls and some scoring ability.

I wouldn’t surprise if ten Hag targets him.
Interesting option,however I want us to target the top bracket first before moving on to a Ramos or this guy

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Interesting option,however I want us to target the top bracket first before moving on to a Ramos or this guy
I think the top bracket, Kane aside, is subjective. Osimhen is seen as in that bracket now, but looking deeper, it’s become something of a perfect storm for him, and I don’t see him as a different calibre of player to RKM at all. I think Napoli could easily sell VO and replace him with RKM and RKM delivers similarly and VO doesn’t where he goes.

Kolo Muani is really just getting started now I think, and I don’t think we can say what he is. I think his next move will determine what he is. He’s just coming into the national team, and has quickly become a key player there and looks to be their next regular 9 now. People say ‘he’s already 24’, which is true - but I see him being about 21/22 in terms of where he is in terms of just had his regular football at a second tier side and picked up some European experience. I don’t see him as a ‘he’s 24 so we already know what he is’ type of player.

Kane is established as a world class striker wherever he may go from here, but I don’t see Osimhen and RKM as any different personally.

Abraxas

How is Osimhen a budget destroyer but this guy isn't? If Osimhen costs 140mn and KMM costs 100mn, I would go for Osimhen every time.
I think you just answered why. That's a 40 million pound difference. 2/3s of a Casemiro. Or maybe a competent RB seen another way.

Also..."if." We don't know how much they will cost. It could be more or less than a 40 million difference. It's something to keep an eye on for the club because budgeting could be very important if a takeover is still to materialise. I don't think the manager wants to only sign one player this summer if he can avoid that.

Baxquux

I'd stake an easy 100 that Bayern won't pay 100m for this guy, good as he is (likewise the stories linking them with Osimhen are slightly ridiculous in light of who's selling him - Napoli might be worse than Levy's Tottenham for releasing players that they want to keep for anything except absurd money)

croadyman

Still feel he is below Kane/Osimhen on Utd's shortlist,however I know many in here won't agree with that. How much do you reckon Utd would consider paying for him?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Still early on but he's not looking like a 50 million player today
Today was a tough game for him as his team were dominated. They really aren’t that good tbh, midtable in Germany and for me, that makes 20 goals for them this season impressive.

croadyman

Today was a tough game for him as his team were dominated. They really aren’t that good tbh, midtable in Germany and for me, that makes 20 goals for them this season impressive.
Yeah I can't make my mind up about him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah I can't make my mind up about him
He’s not perfect in every way, mainly due to his CV not being as big as other candidates, not his qualities. In terms of qualities, he’s perfect, but my backing for him has factored in a percentage of calculated gamble that he translates all of that consistently to a stage we haven’t yet seen from him. That said, if he did, it wouldn’t be a shock, as he has shown all the qualities already. However, it’s still a degree of hope as it stands.

Also, EF apparently want €100m for him. I think, all things considered, that could turn out a good deal. In all likelihood, that would be somewhere between €70-80m up front with the rest in performance related add-ons. That would be £60-70m initial fee, which would be a good deal for one of the handful of most in-demand under-25 year old centre forwards in the game.

PoTMS

I really hope we stop shopping in the Bundesliga.

ti vu

Ironically, with Bayern involved we're hearing the asking price is lower than 100mil.

Lower than 100 mil but how much?
Muani is more like Ligue 1 export than Bundelisga. He does have the intensity, physicality that would suit PL than quite a few typical made in Bundesliga players. It's just that even his improved scoring record is not that special to cost 100mil. His all round game is very good getting him 10 assist in Bundesliga. However, Bundesliga number is flatter to deceive. Sancho used to have insane numbers too.

70mil Euro max and I think we can take the risk.

croadyman

Ironically, with Bayern involved we're hearing the asking price is lower than 100mil.

Lower than 100 mil but how much?

Muani is more like Ligue 1 export than Bundelisga. He does have the intensity, physicality that would suit PL than quite a few typical made in Bundesliga players. It's just that even his improved scoring record is not that special to cost 100mil. His all round game is very good getting him 10 assist in Bundesliga. However, Bundesliga number is flatter to deceive. Sancho used to have insane numbers too.

70mil Euro max and I think we can take the risk.
Yeah having Bayern involved isn't a bad thing because like it means the fees aren't mental

Mainoldo

From looking at him he’s definitely a better footballer than Osihmen. Not sure about goal scoring though.

Baxquux

Yeah having Bayern involved isn't a bad thing because like it means the fees aren't mental
I don't know - suspect they'll still find a way to levy some kind of united tax because we're known as imprudent buyers... plus Bayern by all accounts seem to get a preferential buyer status when it comes to Bundesliga players

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know - suspect they'll still find a way to levy some kind of united tax because we're known as imprudent buyers... plus Bayern by all accounts seem to get a preferential buyer status when it comes to Bundesliga players
That's not a thing which is why Bayern mainly don't purchase Bundesliga players.

Siorac

Yeah, and after getting burnt on Schneiderlin, Sanchez, Lukaku, or Maguire, we'll hopefully never buy players from the Premier League either.