Rangnick - "Apart from goalkeeping we need to improve all areas of our squad" | Muppets amass

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am happy with Rangnick calling them out. I don’t care if we got more matches to go. They are not doing their best. They are paid shitloads to perform. They deserve every bit of criticism. Enough is enough.

If they got any integrity left, then they fight for this club and the fans. At least for their future careers.

I can’t stand to hear opinions that it’s not smart to give them criticism now, because then they would not be motivated to do their job? For feck sakes; it’s their job!

In any other job in the world you need to do it properly or you will hear it. Why should these spoiled assholes be spared??
I just wonder, what if they all think themselves like Maguire does, that those bad performances are related to other teammates but has nothing to do with them individually. And they must be good because managers keep picking them…

pascell

200m :lol:

I love how they pull these figures out of their arses.

We'd be lucky to get 100m.
Don't forget Mata, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Cavani and possibly Ronaldo are missing off that list. If all the players that I've mentioned leave along with those in the tweet, it's over £100m+ saved in wages alone a season, plus transfer fees. I'd say £200m sounds about right.

julianfr

Don't forget Mata, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Cavani and possibly Ronaldo are missing off that list. If all the players that I've mentioned leave along with those in the tweet, it's over £100m+ saved in wages alone a season, plus transfer fees. I'd say £200m sounds about right.
200m ain't enough. We're talking about a significant overhaul here. Digging up the entire garden patch rather than just doing some light weeding.

We'll need more; we won't get it all at once. This build is going to be more incremental than big bang.

Laurencio

The mirror is making up so much nonsense. Rangnick says we need 7 players, the mirror says we're going to spend over 200M on Kane and Rice.:houllier:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
200m ain't enough. We're talking about a significant overhaul here. Digging up the entire garden patch rather than just doing some light weeding.

We'll need more; we won't get it all at once. This build is going to be more incremental than big bang.
We've spunked 5 times that on the current mess, its going to take atleast half of what we spunked to clean up the mess. 500m for me over 3 windows.

jesperjaap

Of course it isnt, we have spent 3/4x that amount over the last 10years and are barely any further forward than we were before doing so. So the whole side needs to be rebuilt.

However 5-7 signings can be made I feel with a free or two, some young surprise signings etc, there are a few out there.

We have seen talk of big spends and 8+ players out approaching several summer windows over the last decade, that have never happened.

What is positive this summer is that we know six are almost certainly leaving due to contracts and just as many are heavily rumoured to want to leave, so we should hopefully for once see a genuine mass cull of the squad which has been needed for years. The other positive is our own manager has also said 3/4 wont be comign but a lot more, makes a change from the usual "its a process, 3/4" type comments that particularly annoyed me from the likes of Ole....of course the manager saying it, wont be the manager, but an advisor.

I have been wantin gthe season to end since Christmas pretty much in the hopes a proper window is done and for once am genuinely excited the kind of window I have wanted for years may actually occur.....liek yousay though, it cant be all done in one window, but a lot CAN and should be done.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
200m :lol:

I love how they pull these figures out of their arses.

We'd be lucky to get 100m.
I think our budget will be quite significant due to the amount of wages we're clearing off the books.

Rajma

I would say we only have a handful of players that you could say have a future with us, from outfield players that would be Fred, Sancho, Varane with Bruno/Shaw give or take. The rest are simply not good enough for high intensity football or lack too much in the technical department.

AFC NimbleThumb

Neither Kane or Rice fit the timeline of a proper rebuild, if either of those are still targets we’ve learnt nothing. In a different era both are United players but we honestly need to looking for the next Kane & Rice.

AndySmith1990

Neither Kane or Rice fit the timeline of a proper rebuild, if either of those are still targets we’ve learnt nothing. In a different era both are United players but we honestly need to looking for the next Kane & Rice.
Agreed. Players like Rice and Kane would've been perfect during Ferguson's era when we had strong teams and only needed one or two players to come in and upgrade certain positions. They aren't what you buy when you're needing almost an entirely new team

Relfy

I'd be happy if we signed Rice as he would improve our midfield drastically, but, not for the money being touted for him. If we ever sign him it should be only when he is in the last 6-12 months of his contract at West Ham. No one is paying £100m+ for him. I just hope with Ralf (and Erik) that there will be some common sense to our transfer approach over the coming windows.

If we have the funds, spend wisely on players who are committed and want to actually play for us and make an impact, and have the right coach and system in place, then we have a chance. Our aim now is to be on the up for when Pep and Klopp leave their positions to try and take advantage of any instability at the pair of those clubs. We have 2-3 years to be close enough to try and pounce and take advantage.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wonder if United could sign Tchouaméni and Caqueret for the price of one Rice.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Whilst I agree on Kane I think Rice could be exactly what we need if you remove the price tag.

He's just entering his peak and is you g enough to be around for a long time yet.

If we really are focusing on youth he'd be ideal as a steady reference in the centre of the park and potential captain material if he kept progressing on his current trajectory.

Just looking at players currently looking to break through Mejbri and Garner would both benefit from having someone like him in the middle of the park with them.

Rockets Redglare

Whilst I agree on Kane I think Rice could be exactly what we need if you remove the price tag.

He's just entering his peak and is you g enough to be around for a long time yet.

If we really are focusing on youth he'd be ideal as a steady reference in the centre of the park and potential captain material if he kept progressing on his current trajectory.

Just looking at players currently looking to break through Mejbri and Garner would both benefit from having someone like him in the middle of the park with them.
But you can’t removed the price tag. He’d cost an insane amount of money.

AFC NimbleThumb

As below your post, you have to consider the price tag. I rate both players & would love to have them but blowing the majority of our budget on one player is nonsensical.

His personal timeline is slightly ahead of ours, he’s ready for a step up where as we need to dismantle & start all over again. I think as a fanbase we need to take a step back & realise a few of the best talents are out of our remit currently. I hate to do it but look at Liverpool, VvD was the icing - we’ve a ways to go before we’re at the marquee signing point.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
As below your post, you have to consider the price tag. I rate both players & would love to have them but blowing the majority of our budget on one player is nonsensical.

His personal timeline is slightly ahead of ours, he’s ready for a step up where as we need to dismantle & start all over again. I think as a fanbase we need to take a step back & realise a few of the best talents are out of our remit currently. I hate to do it but look at Liverpool, VvD was the icing - we’ve a ways to go before we’re at the marquee signing point.
Whilst I do agree on the price tag being a big consideration, and the analogy with VVD. The key difference is age for me. Van Dijk is at his peak at the same time as the rest of that Liverpool squad, and I'd expect Rice to be at that level in 2 or 3 years meaning we could build with him.

I'm fully in favour of some cheaper signings that fit the style of play, but that DM is absolutely key for me and I believe it's key for the way Ten Hag will want to play.

His DM at the moment regularly switches between DM and CB either stepping out from defence or dropping back from midfield and Rice would be perfect there. I also think he'd make a lot of our current players look a lot better, for instance...

Fred - He's very Kante-lite. Not amazing on the ball, but lots of energy to close players down. Not the best positional sense hence why neither work as the sole DM. Just to clarify as I know it will get called out, I'm not saying Fred is as good, but that he has similar qualities. With a DM like Rice he'd have more license to close down more without worrying as much about the space behind & he'd have license to get forward more were we've seen his dribbling can be effective at times.

Maguire & Varane - Neither have looked solid this season and we regularly concede from Maguire stepping forward to close someone down that really should be the job of the defensive midfielder. Just look at his positioning for almost all the goals against Liveroool, he's regularly caught in front of his other defenders as he has midfielders running at him with no protection in front.

As much as I'd like us to replace Fred and Maguire it isn't going to happen straight away and we'll have to tailor our gameplan to work with what we have in some areas.

Lemoor

I wonder if United could sign Tchouaméni and Caqueret for the price of one Rice.
Caqueret has 14 months left on his contract. We could probably rebuild half of the team for the price of one Rice, if it was spent efficiently.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

This has to be false. Kane (almost 29) would cost our entire transfer budget, why would we even entertain the idea of chasing him?

I'd love Rice at the club, but only at a fair price.

Foxbatt

Caqueret has 14 months left on his contract. We could probably rebuild half of the team for the price of one Rice, if it was spent efficiently.
Is he the only DM in the world? Surely there are DMs who are as good of not better than him in the world?

The Oracle

This has to be false. Kane (almost 29) would cost our entire transfer budget, why would we even entertain the idea of chasing him?

I'd love Rice at the club, but only at a fair price.
If West Ham win the Europa League they will be playing Champions League football next season.

If they lift the trophy in May then there is no way Rice will leave for anywhere.

The Oracle

Basically we're missing most of the parts of well run, successful club. What a shocker
It's clear that we haven't moved with the times, and hence why we are behind the likes of City and Liverpool.
Our recruitment policy has simply been one of signing individuals.

If we want to move with the times then our recruitment policy has to be signing players that are suitable to a style of play of the team.
...of course we have to implement a style of play and stick with it before we can identify player's that will be suitable for it.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Granted we didn't spend anything this winter, many players will leave and clear the wages bill, we might get close to 200 million, unfortunately no champions league might hurt as as much as 50 million. On the other hand we may as well let go Henderson and Martial for say 22 + 8 million. Which I think could make 180 million transfer budget if we are realistic.

This could be seriously 3 very good starters. Neves (60) Tchouameni/DM (70) Nkunku (50) + a smart deal from Ajax, a youngster ready to make a step up

+ Garner, Van de Beek (free) + Laird (with a good preseason in mind)

+ Hannibal (squad)

This can give us enough spine, other useful players expected to be improved..

jem

Bruno has more 4 assists than mane this season and only 5 less goals. Last season Bruno scored and got more assists than Mane.

Mane is also 30 years old which means he is likely on the decline and his next contract will be his last big pay day. Plus Liverpool gave Mane a even longer deal (5 year contract)when he was the same age as Bruno.
if ever there were a case in stats being misleading….and 3 years, when Mane was Bruno’s age, he wasn’t showing any of the worrying signs that Bruno is now displaying. And according to a google search (so full acknowledgment on the pinch of salt required), Mane is now on 100k/week, so 3 years ago he was obviously clearly outperforming his contact and deserved a new one. Can we really say the same of Bruno?

jem

Mata and Matic both look like they need fecking walking sticks out there. Its an absolute shambles that both are still on our books.
I think Mata has looked more effective than Bruno recently, which I suppose says as much about Bruno as it does about Mata.

Only Origi, Milner and Henderson are still there because they know when to get rid of players. At our club we still have the likes of Mata, Shaw, Jones, Lingard etc it’s pure madness I hope ETH puts and end to this type of thing.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Ralf should 100% be kept on at the club.

Welbeckham

He’s clearly wrong cause De Gea is a super limited goalkeeper who sets the whole team back with his passive, static, shy goalkeeping style.