Rangnick - "Apart from goalkeeping we need to improve all areas of our squad" | Muppets amass

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's the DoF that we need simply. One of the best move the can can do this summer is to fire Murtough and put Rangnick + Mitchell in the DoF positions.

But since when our board can take good decisions ?
Murtough hasn’t even really started in his new role yet. Bit harsh.

Ralf and Murtough could work. Can’t afford a slow summer I know that much.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That’s the worry for me too, is anything going to change? There was no need to tie Fernandes down, it was monumentally stupid to do so before a new manager comes in. We’re apparently in talks with Rashford and Shaw too, what if they get shiny new contracts before a new manager is appointed and when he is appointed he doesn’t fancy them? This ridiculous job security gives our players 0 incentive to actually work for their next contract. Rashford’s last contract was over 200k, what’s he going to want this time? Nothing has and will change.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Not getting top 4 is actually a good thing in the long run in my opinion. If we'd got it, you can imagine the crack papering that could be done when Ralf suggests most of these chancers need to be 'managed out of the organisation' over the next 18 months. Much easier for the higher ups to say - well, they got top 4, so surely there's many who might be salvaged under a new manager.

Unable to get top 4 with the run of fixtures we had, while the rivals for that 4th place were all dropping loads of points too..... nothing to be salvaged here.

People have moaned that he hasn't dropped the underperforming players and keeps playing those who are out of contract in the summer. I think he did this to give them the rope to hang themselves. imagine he dropped Pogba / Maguire / Rashford etc permanently after 3 games, instead of us seeing how awful they have been despite being played most weeks, imagine how that might be spun by their 'people' - "he hasn't played, the manager never gave him a chance, Paul can be great for the new manager". "Rashford just needs matches to get sharp again". "Maguire was just out of form after a difficult summer, he needs games to get his confidence back"

They all got plenty of games, and they all stank the place out.

Those that think Ralf's #1 priority was getting top 4 are understandably going to argue he's failed, and be correct in this.

Those who think Ralf's #1 priority was to undertake a frank and honest appraisal of the club and the playing staff with a view to a possible summer rebuild, will argue his best work is likely to come and being manager was a means to an end, may also be right in the long run.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I don't believe the Mirror but I really wouldn't be shocked to see Rashford leave, I think that'll be the biggest indication that we're changing how we do things. It looks like Rangnick doesn't rate him at all.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
After watching the Man City vs Liverpool match esp the vintage, top quality performances by both teams I was very worried for Man Utd and I can't say I was surprised by last night.

Acquire Me

I am happy with Rangnick calling them out. I don’t care if we got more matches to go. They are not doing their best. They are paid shitloads to perform. They deserve every bit of criticism. Enough is enough.

If they got any integrity left, then they fight for this club and the fans. At least for their future careers.

I can’t stand to hear opinions that it’s not smart to give them criticism now, because then they would not be motivated to do their job? For feck sakes; it’s their job!

In any other job in the world you need to do it properly or you will hear it. Why should these spoiled assholes be spared??

bushyzor

:how about we get rid of Ralf? Ralf doesn't have the qualifications to demand such a thing. If it was Conte, Ancellotti, Poch, tuchel, Unai, I would understand. These managers would have gotten our player to play at a higher level. Ralf was a mistake
He is perfectly qualified to say such a thing. That is exactly what his area of expertise is: building football clubs. He has literally done it at least twice with success.

None of those managers you mentioned would have been able to get more from this squad. They would have all needed a few transfer windows to bring in their own players.

I am thankful that we got Ralf as he is a straight talker and is calling it like it is. Quite exactly what I think we need in this moment in time. I hope he has some influence with the higher powers in the club and they listen to what he has to say.

Reactions: oates

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We would be absolute morons not to give Rangnick an important role going forward. I've never seen anyone at United speak as much sense as him in the post SAF era. He may not have had a managerial impact but his understanding and analysis of the situation is almost always spot on and he is brave to speak the truth as well. ETH will hopefully want to work with him.

amolbhatia50k

:how about we get rid of Ralf? Ralf doesn't have the qualifications to demand such a thing. If it was Conte, Ancellotti, Poch, tuchel, Unai, I would understand. These managers would have gotten our player to play at a higher level. Ralf was a mistake
Ralf has club building expertise like those people don't. He is highly qualified in that regard.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Spouting nonsense again. The person who has vast experience rebuilding squads that have over spent on ageing players of the wrong profile is not qualified. Ok

Foxbatt

Spouting nonsense again. The person who has vast experience rebuilding squads that have over spent on ageing players of the wrong profile is not qualified. Ok
We do have some very weird people here. :D

diarm

My son is 8 years old and only got into football about a year ago. Even he asks me why the United players can't pass it more than 3 times without giving the ball away.

He yelled at me the other day that it's my fault he now supports the worst team in the country. :lol:

I'll look forward to telling him Ralf agrees with him.
This is hilarious and upsetting in equal measure!

One of my mates is a diehard and long suffering Newcastle fan. His son was born the day the Saudis bought them and he's convinced they'll call him a glory hunter when he grows up!

Withnail

Ralf has club building expertise like those people don't. He is highly qualified in that regard.
It's been said before but judging his suitability for the consultancy/club building role, and potentially side-lining him, based on his performance as interim manager would be incredibly stupid but also typical of United over the past 10 years or so.

Darlington Padgett

That’s the worry for me too, is anything going to change? There was no need to tie Fernandes down, it was monumentally stupid to do so before a new manager comes in. We’re apparently in talks with Rashford and Shaw too, what if they get shiny new contracts before a new manager is appointed and when he is appointed he doesn’t fancy them? This ridiculous job security gives our players 0 incentive to actually work for their next contract. Rashford’s last contract was over 200k, what’s he going to want this time? Nothing has and will change.
Worse part is that the system Ajax is playing is more suited for players who are intelligent with the ball. Giving him those wages will hurt us if it doesn't work out and we can't even sell him.

WPMUFC

Once again it baffles the mind that people on here completely define a man and his entire skill set based off 5 months of babysitting a bunch of fecking losers.

He is saying openly and loudly that these chancers are turning up to fulfill their contract obligations and then doing whatever they want. They never even gave him a fleeting chance to implement tactics. Instead they all briefed about how they don't get enough playing time or mocking the staff because they are American.

Trex

Everyone speaks about Klopp totally changing personnel only leaving Firmino and Henderson, but its the same at most clubs over that time frame.
Utd players still at united from when Klopp arrived are De gea, Jones, Mata, Lingard, Martial. So that's 5, with Jones and Mata and Lingard being fringe players for at least the last 3 seasons.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Everyone speaks about Klopp totally changing personnel only leaving Firmino and Henderson, but its the same at most clubs over that time frame.
Utd players still at united from when Klopp arrived are De gea, Jones, Mata, Lingard, Martial. So that's 5, with Jones and Mata and Lingard being fringe players for at least the last 3 seasons.
But most of his signings that have been brought with bigger money have been worth it.

Trex

But most of his signings that have been brought with bigger money have been worth it.
No doubt but the idea of a massive clear out over a short period worries me, you can't get the right players all in at once even if money was no object.

Red00012

The problem is we’ve overpaid for average players whereas Klopp’s signings have been excellent

Trex

The problem is we’ve overpaid for average players whereas Klopp’s signings have been excellent
No doubt about that, I'm just saying can we really reshuffle the entire squad within say 2-3 years and get it right?
It took Klopp longer to make changes it wasn't wholesale.

dpansheth

No doubt about that, I'm just saying can we really reshuffle the entire squad within say 2-3 years and get it right?
Point is to fail fast. If acquisitions are not working out as hoped for then should be moved on quicker. I feel our main issue has been dithering, players and managers.

Jonesno.8

Credit to him, 6 years behind Liverpool. He knows you can't just sell an entire team and buy one to be good enough the next year. Minefield of a who go's based on who's available won't be easy but at least its a start. V tough job for ETH. Needs a good first one.

We can't continue to spend 250 per annum, we need to find a balance. That takes time, maybe finish lower but with more honest players and actually win against the teams around us and not lose as many stupid games we have been. A few good youth lads blooded ie Garner, Garnacho etc.

Sigh: It's the hope that kills you.

Reactions: oates

Fooza

Ralf ain't stupid, if he knew he had a chance for top 4 with this bunch, he would not be saying these comments. He just knew there's not a chance in hell he'd have got consistent wins with this squad, so let it all coming out now.

He should be playing a few youth and dropping certain players to show he is planning for the future by giving ETH food for thought.

caid

We can try. I mean even in the best case scenario we'll pick up one or two duds among the dozen or so changes. But being one or two duds away from the right team is a hell of a lot better than our current situation. Its completely possible, Newcastle are well on their way to doing a reshuffle, do you think it'll take 2 or 3 years for them to improve their first 11 across the board?

jem

it was indeed monumentally stupid. Mane brings it every year, far more consistently than Bruno (never mind Rashford), yet I don’t see Liverpool panicking to double his salary. And what’s more, I don’t see Mane sulking about it. If Rashford ends up with a pay rise, then all semblance of accountability will be shredded.

Sweet Square

it was indeed monumentally stupid. Mane brings it every year, far more consistently than Bruno (never mind Rashford), yet I don’t see Liverpool panicking to double his salary. And what’s more, I don’t see Mane sulking about it. If Rashford ends up with a pay rise, then all semblance of accountability will be shredded.
Bruno has more 4 assists than mane this season and only 5 less goals. Last season Bruno scored and got more assists than Mane.

Mane is also 30 years old which means he is likely on the decline and his next contract will be his last big pay day. Plus Liverpool gave Mane a even longer deal (5 year contract)when he was the same age as Bruno.

Last edited:

Greck

Bruno has more 4 assists than mane this season and only 5 less goals. Last season Bruno scored and got more assists than Mane.

Mane is also 30 years old which means he is likely on the decline and his next contract will be his last big pay day. Plus Liverpool gave Mane a even longer deal (5 year contract)when he was the same age as Bruno.
Sorry to jump in but we need to stop talking only Goal-Assist when talking Bruno's performances. Might not even be hyperbole to say that Bruno hasn't had a good performance this 2022 calendar year. He has been diabolical which is why the timing of the extension was bad. Pause the talks and tell the player they will resume once he raises his level. Whatever you do don't reward a player during a patch like this. It's like we're still treating contract renewals as a reward for the past. Worse is we always extend contracts during red flag periods.

He probably isn't even a top 5 performer under RR. All the others play 2-3 good games before reverting to shite. Pogba had a purple patch when he came back before going back to his disappointing self, CR pops up with occasional hattricks, Sancho was good for the first couple games in january, Fred has been good and so has De Gea. Bruno has been legit one of our most nothing performers since the new year. Middlesbrough in the FA cup, performance against Athletico in the 2nd CL, gash performances against City and Liverpool, crucial misses against lower table teams, yet we always have to hear how it's the others bringing him down, which is unfair because quite a number are actually playing better than him.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Mane's general play is consistent though. Bruno's is a hinderance.

Trex

We can try. I mean even in the best case scenario we'll pick up one or two duds among the dozen or so changes. But being one or two duds away from the right team is a hell of a lot better than our current situation. Its completely possible, Newcastle are well on their way to doing a reshuffle, do you think it'll take 2 or 3 years for them to improve their first 11 across the board?
Its easier to improve Newcastle though, to find players that genuinely improve us is harder, have in mind our current performance is below our level.