Rangnick press conference | Middlesborough (H) | FA Cup

Dante

Average bang
Has this week been distracting?
"In fact, we had a good normal week of training with five training sessions including todays training, obviously it was a topic within the team but they're human beings and Mason was part of the group before we had our break. It was a good week of training, we could train under normal circumstances and we are looking forward to the game tomorrow."

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick on Lingard
"Three weeks ago, Jesse didn't want to leave, then he changed his mind, I had a chat with him 10 days ago and I could fully understand why he wanted to leave to get game time for his future and the World Cup and I told him if he finds a club and the club find a solution with our club I would allow him to leave, but with all the developments, things changed, we also had no agreement with any other club so we had to take a final decision as the board and keep Jesse until the end of the season."

Dante

Average bang
Was Greenwood a factor in keeping Lingard?
"In a way, yes, but the club told me, the board told me, they couldn't find an agreement with any clubs interested in him. With the window closing Monday evening the board informed me they would rather he stay, so I could understand and accept. It was two things. We had a problem with Mason Greenwood and being without a player for the time being who hasn't played in weeks and the club not finding an agreement with another club."

Dante

Average bang
The size of the squad
"As I said earlier on, the group was slightly too big, we had too many players not seeing the chance to get regular playing time, this is why I'm happy for the club. Donny, Anthony, and Amad deserve regular game time, I wish them all the best, Amad has already played and scored in his first game and I'm pretty sure Donny and Anthony will do well at Sevilla and Everton and I hope they come back."

Dante

Average bang
Team news and injury updates
"Yes, Paul [Pogba] will be part of the group he might even be in the starting XI, Edi Cavani will only return at the weekend, he contacted me at the weekend and asked to have two more days at home, I knew he couldn't be in starting XI with jet lag. Victor Lindelof has been ill the whole week and not training, the same is true with Jesse if we could give him a couple of days off to clear his mind. He will be back in training on Monday and part of the whole squad. Eric Bailly came back yesterday, he has some problems with his ankle and will not be part of the squad. All the other players will be available."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Pochettino links
"I have no idea. My full focus is on training the group right now, we have in games coming up in three different competitions, I couldn't give any reasonable answer to that question, my focus is on the next couple of games, weeks and months, be as successful as we can be."

Dante

Average bang
What does Rangnick want from his full-backs?
"They have to be both. They have to be defenders and at the same time give as much input as they possibly can when we're in possession of the ball. They should be offensive full-backs, offensive defenders and I think in the last couple of weeks we have improved in those areas. It will also be an important position for tomorrow's game because Middlesbrough will play with a back five with very offensive wing-backs. It will be very important to play tactically to a high level. With regard to our own full-backs, as I said, I'm happy with the development that all those players have taken. Luke [Shaw] will be back. He will probably play from the beginning because Alex Telles played 90 minutes for Brazil. This is what I want to see, offensive full-backs playing almost like wingers do and at the same be modern defenders winning one-on-one duels and switching sides from one side to another when we have to mark through. This is what we want to see and what I expect from our fullbacks."

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

But Luckhurst said the board blocked the move and overruled the manager..

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What’s Jesse’s issue? Family? We had almost 2 weeks off, you would expect that was his best time to clear his mind. He’s missing his chance to play this week.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What’s Jesse’s issue? Family? We had almost 2 weeks off, you would expect that was his best time to clear his mind. He’s missing his chance to play this week.
He has been on vacation for 3 years now.

GlasgowCeltic

"what do you want from your fullbacks" is about as tactical a question as you're going to get from these journos

Revaulx

He manages to be honest without being tactless or making it about himself. I imagine he’s a joy to work with and for.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I hope the board is smart enough to actually keep Ralf around. I have zero, ZERO (0) doubt he would run the club better than the board.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
He manages to be honest without being tactless or making it about himself. I imagine he’s a joy to work with and for.
Almost painfully honest. I hope his gf doesn't ask if he really loves her!

romufc

But Luckhurst said the board blocked the move and overruled the manager..
He has an issue with United. Its similar to how Mark Godbridge has acted this window, like a spoilt child.

If none of the clubs were offering money for Lingard, we are better of keeping him incase we end up needing him. No one could have seen the Greenwood issue coming 3 days before deadline day.

RomfordRed75

Exactly what I thought. Needs to clear his head????? Do me a favour, you've had 4-5 days since the window shut, get an opportunity to play (and probably start) and are getting paid £100k+ a week...get your fecking arse on the pitch you pussy.

Revaulx

Almost painfully honest. I hope his gf doesn't ask if he really loves her!
As I said, he’s as tactful as he’s honest. He’d shrug his shoulders and come up with something that sounded truly sincere but was actually rather non-committal ;)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Exactly what I thought. Needs to clear his head????? Do me a favour, you've had 4-5 days since the window shut, get an opportunity to play (and probably start) and are getting paid £100k+ a week...get your fecking arse on the pitch you pussy.
:confused:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's baffling alright! As you say, 2 weeks off in the sun in Dubai, looks like he is having a good time. That should be plenty of time to sort his head and I would've expected him to be raring to go and get back into the team! I'm not surprised he didnt want to move to west ham, its all so cushy here isnt it.

Chairman Steve

Ralf‘s general ability to shoot straight would be invaluable in the board room. He’s certainly needed there when the corporate heads have previously cooked up some hare brained scheme for the first team setup.

devilo

No one could have seen the Greenwood issue coming 3 days before deadline day.
The Greenwood issue came the day before deadline day.

Quite fortunate really, as we could have been a bit on the light side had we let Jesse go.

yamo123x

Who is pulling the strings here? If the board pulled the plug on Lingard deal, who is the driving force behind this?
Its not rangnick, its not fletcher, if he says the board it cant be Murtough..... .. Gill and SAF?

Gandalf

The Greenwood issue came the day before deadline day.

Quite fortunate really, as we could have been a bit on the light side had we let Jesse go.
The way he is carrying on I think we are light anyway. I would rather play anyone other than Jesse for the remainder of the season, we have enough options to not have to use him even if we do get a few injuries.

UpWithRivers

He has an issue with United. Its similar to how Mark Godbridge has acted this window, like a spoilt child.

If none of the clubs were offering money for Lingard, we are better of keeping him incase we end up needing him. No one could have seen the Greenwood issue coming 3 days before deadline day.
Exactly. Goldbridge is an extention of the Sun newspaper or the Daily star. He just gets the made up stories and bitches and moans about things that he knows fk all about and everyone eats it up. Its quite clever though. He knows how to pander to the armchair incel football community.

UpWithRivers

What I didn't get is that he said Lingard changed his mind and then went on to say he stayed because of Greenwood situation and the fact the board couldn't come to an agreement with the other clubs. Which one is it?

Edit - Ah I misheard. He said he didnt want to leave then did. I thought it was the other way around

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Who is pulling the strings here? If the board pulled the plug on Lingard deal, who is the driving force behind this?
Its not rangnick, its not fletcher, if he says the board it cant be Murtough..... .. Gill and SAF?
Look at his words: "we [...] as the board". So he includes himself here and it is likely that this means him, Fletcher, Murtough, Arnold or something like that. Definitely doesn't sound like he wasn't involved in the final decision.