Ranking of trophies in order of importance

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The Community Shield is a friendly. The Club World Cup is a competition.

For me, if I'm a footballer and I won the Champions League and the Club World Cup... the Club World Cup would be my greatest achievement. Because you need to win the Champions League in order to even qualify for it. Plus, the trophy itself is beautiful.
Which country are you from?
Only ask because I wonder if the Club World Cup has a different reputation in other continents.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I always think the league should be a top club's main priority. You have to finish your breakfast. A CL win becomes less impressive to me if they did not also win their domestic league.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Premier League
Champions League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

peridigm

The fact that the PL has been retained many times while the CL has yet to be retained by the same club in consecutive seasons makes a good counter point.
And we came so close. Too bad we came up against one of the greater Barca sides in recent history.

Sereques

Hypocrisy of the highest order. If United was dominating Champions League, people won't rank Premier League above it.

Take it or leave it, the grand competition in club football is Champions league, it rank higher than any association league trophy.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
There are many domestic league titles handed out every year. Spanish, English, German and so on. But there's only one CL trophy. Not sure how people can argue the PL is more valuable when it doesn't even have the best teams in Europe competing for it.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Premier League
Champions League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

CWC is nothing but series of glorified friendlies. Given the difference in quality of teams from Europe when compared with others, there isn't much to look forward to when European champions play other continental winners.

The Man Himself

Hypocrisy of the highest order. If United was dominating Champions League, people won't rank Premier League above it.

Take it or leave it, the grand competition in club football is Champions league, it rank higher than any association league trophy.
There is no hypocrisy. For many domestic success and league titles matter more. For me, even when reached 2 successive finals or 3 finals in 4 years, I cared more about winning PL. There is nothing 'take it or leave it' about it just because you find CL more important.

Nanook

I find it stange that so many rank the PL ahead of the CL, I'm sure the majority (if not all) of United players would rather have a CL medal than a PL one.

ti vu

PL
UCL
EFL - first available trophy
FA
Agree with this. EL is only important in season we don't challenge for the PL (losing out the title means we may still secure CL football for next season). Other than that EFL is good one as it's a less fanciful FA Cup in mid season which is useful as morale boost while quickly secure a trophy for the season. Replace EFL if a team is to play Club World Cup, winning the CL in the previous season.

I find it stange that so many rank the PL ahead of the CL, I'm sure the majority (if not all) of United players would rather have a CL medal than a PL one.
Just explained above. Challenging for title until the very end would mean a CL qualification would be secured. If you put all eggs into CL basket, while neglect your league, then you have huge risk of not winning anything and miss out on CL football next season = no chance to win it next season.

It's football. There is no way to prioritize CL over your league over a long season. Not even the best teams can since CL requires more luck. If CL is a tournament like World Cup or EURO separate from the league season then it's different story.

Last edited:

AN17

League over Champions league for me. Any decent team who get jammy can win a tournament once in a while. It takes consistency more effort to win a league.
If the CL was a competition exclusively for the winners of different leagues, then maybe I'd get swayed a little bit to the other side.

ti vu

If you could either win 3 premier league trophies back to back and no CL or 3 CL back to back but no PL which would it be?
The way you put it then of course CL. Unrealistic of course...

Football doesn't work like that though. CL is embed within the league season. Noone can prioritize winning CL as it requires more luck to win it than the league as well as there is no falling back prize if you failed to win it while slipping in the league (missed out CL qualification the following season).

Edit: adding to that CL got some changes here & there as the greedy UEFA want maximize it's commercial value make it harder.

Last edited:

prateik

Premier League.
Champions League
FA Cup
Europa League
League Cup
CWC
Super Cup
Community Shield
Emirates Cup

Sereques

There is no hypocrisy. For many domestic success and league titles matter more. For me, even when reached 2 successive finals or 3 finals in 4 years, I cared more about winning PL. There is nothing 'take it or leave it' about it just because you find CL more important.
Cute, there is no non EPL fan that think their domestic league ranks higher than Champions league. Non whatsoever. Go ask any La Liga, Bundesliga, Italian or Ligue 1 fan.

It's all hypocrisy.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
1. Champions League - biggest one and where we can improve.
2. Premier League - goes without saying above any other bar CL
3. Europa League - gives you CL place and winning the second best international competition
4. FA Cup - not as highly regarded or as good as it once was
5. League Cup - option to play youngsters, but would rather have just one domestic cup.

Mickey mouse cups in no particular order:
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield
Is the correct answer. Nice to win any of the three friendly things but no shits given if you don't.

The Man Himself

Cute, there is no non EPL fan that think their domestic league ranks higher than Champions league. Non whatsoever. Go ask any La Liga, Bundesliga, Italian or Ligue 1 fan.

It's all hypocrisy.
I personally know La Liga fans who said that if given a choice they will take league title over CL.

Again, go read meaning of hypocrisy and stop thinking that if you believe one competition is better everyone will. Or else go conduct a survey of each and every football fan out there and come back with results.

Pavl3n

If you took a 5 year window and I offered you 3 league titles and a couple of 4th places. Or 5 4th places and 1 Champions league, which would you take?

I know that's not the OP but there's a weighting element there.
I see your point, but you're giving an unfair comparison. How if over 5 year window you give 1 league title and 4 4th place finishes versus 1 CL and 5 4th place finishes? Or over a 5 year window you give 3 titles vs 3 CL Cups ? Which I think Barca racked up that many CL Cups from 2006 to 2011.

Club World Cup means you're the best in the world

Champions League means you're the best in Europe.

Premier League means you're the best in England.

For me... Club World Cup > Champions League > Premier League > FA Cup > Europa League > EFL Cup > Super Cup > Community Shield.

Of course, winning the Club World Cup is worthless unless you win the Champions League. Its basically the certification that you're the best in the world rather than just in Europe. Ideally, you would win the league and Champions League in the one season to truly cement yourself as the best.
In the perfect world - yes. Just like the teams competing in the CL are the top teams across European leagues, the teams competing in CWC are the top teams across the world. However there's one rule that discredits the entire CWC.
The current format of the tournament involves seven teams competing for the title at venues within the host nation over a period of about two weeks; the winners of that year's AFC Champions League (Asia), CAF Champions League (Africa), CONCACAF Champions League (North America), Copa Libertadores (South America), OFC Champions League (Oceania) and UEFA Champions League (Europe), along with the host nation's national champions, participate in a straight knock-out tournament.
So I don't see how Japan's domestic title winners or Morocco's champions could become the best in the world even if they haven't won a continental cup.

CL is a possible 13 games against 7 teams from a pool of 31 of which you cannot play against some in early stages. Luck of draw plays a big part in odds.

PL is 38 games against 19 teams over a long season where form, injuries, and scheduling plays a big part.

My opinion is the PL is harder to obtain over CL but CL is more prestigious due to caliber of opposition to a point.
And that's why so many people across Europe and rest of the world get so excited. There's no other competition where Man Utd can meat Bayern or Juventus can play Barca and so on.

And to those who rank PL ahead of CL - I really don't get you. Yes, you could win CL by "luck". Like Chelsea - defend with all you have and play on the counter, play your set pieces right. But still it takes so much. It's kind of saying that World Cup qualifications are more important than winning the actual World Cup, because qualifying takes consistency over a span of 2 years and you play more games.

CL might be rated below PL by some individuals here, but within the football world (players, coaches, staff, club owners) CL is the most precious trophy.

Eire Red United

Winning the CL but not PL means you've lucked out in a cup run.
You can luck out in a league win too, albeit very very rare. For me the CL is most important as it really is the pinnacle of club football.

I think players and fans alike both get more emotionally involved in knock out/cup football in any sport and players will try harder in the CL whereas the league is your run of the mill every week bread and butter. Not taking anything away from the importance or achievement of winning the league, but for me the CL is a bigger and rarer achievement.

Eire Red United

I see your point, but you're giving an unfair comparison. How if over 5 year window you give 1 league title and 4 4th place finishes versus 1 CL and 5 4th place finishes? Or over a 5 year window you give 3 titles vs 3 CL Cups ? Which I think Barca racked up that many CL Cups from 2006 to 2011.

In the perfect world - yes. Just like the teams competing in the CL are the top teams across European leagues, the teams competing in CWC are the top teams across the world. However there's one rule that discredits the entire CWC.

So I don't see how Japan's domestic title winners or Morocco's champions could become the best in the world even if they haven't won a continental cup.

And that's why so many people across Europe and rest of the world get so excited. There's no other competition where Man Utd can meat Bayern or Juventus can play Barca and so on.

• And to those who rank PL ahead of CL - I really don't get you. Yes, you could win CL by "luck". Like Chelsea - defend with all you have and play on the counter, play your set pieces right. But still it takes so much. It's kind of saying that World Cup qualifications are more important than winning the actual World Cup, because qualifying takes consistency over a span of 2 years and you play more games.

CL might be rated below PL by some individuals here, but within the football world (players, coaches, staff, club owners) CL is the most precious trophy.
Good analogy.

The Man Himself

On the 5 year, 10 year window point, if we are taking same no. of trophies of either competition over a period I will always take domestic title. In hypothetical scenario of 3 domestic titles and 1 CL in 5 years or 1 domestic title and 3 CLs in 5 years as well, it will be former.

The Champions league will rank higher for me if there is super league down the line where top 10-12 clubs (or few more) around the Europe play in league format, home-away, over a course of season.

Eire Red United

On the 5 year, 10 year window point, if we are taking same no. of trophies of either competition over a period I will always take domestic title. In hypothetical scenario of 3 domestic titles and 1 CL in 5 years or 1 domestic title and 3 CLs in 5 years as well, it will be former.

The Champions league will rank higher for me if there is super league down the line where top 10-12 clubs (or few more) around the Europe play in league format, home-away, over a course of season.
3 CLs in 5 seasons? I'd bite your hand off. It would take us level with the scousers and shut them up!

The Man Himself

3 CLs in 5 seasons? I'd bite your hand off. It would take us level with the scousers and shut them up!
Yeah it will. What if scousers win 4 domestic titles in same period though, thus surpassing us domestically? :D What if that sequence repeats AGAIN over next 5 years?

Don't get me wrong, I value CL greatly and it is fantastic to win a tournament with best teams in Europe playing. Just the knockout nature of it and one moment able to change winner or loser, that moment deciding you being best team in Europe or not, has more probability of happening in CL than in league. In league too there are defining moments but over course of season, it being league, it is net sum of all those positive or negative moments.

I always thought that if United get say 1 CL in 5 years but in meantime keeps winning 3 domestic titles out of 5, I will be happy. If we can win CL more it will be awesome but not at cost of league title. Also this has not nothing to do with 'PL being best in world' or 'hardest in world' arguments. I think more from domestic title vs CL. Maybe in cases like PSG(or even Bayern and Juve nowadays), lack of competition domestically will make it less worthwhile and then I will look more towards CL for satisfaction.

lysglimt

Scout
I rank the C.L above the P.L

But at the same time - it hurts me a lot more watching City or Liverpool winning the League than it does watching Bayern or Real winning the C.L so I would still pick the Premier League if I could pick one Trophy to win

gajender

And to those who rank PL ahead of CL - I really don't get you. Yes, you could win CL by "luck". Like Chelsea - defend with all you have and play on the counter, play your set pieces right. But still it takes so much. It's kind of saying that World Cup qualifications are more important than winning the actual World Cup, because qualifying takes consistency over a span of 2 years and you play more games.

Poor Analogy you don't get any trophies for winning your world cup qualifying groups they exist for qualifying purpose only. You make it seem like Domestic leagues exist for the purpose Champions league qualification only, they are separate competition which have their own value and prestige attached to them they existed long before Champions league was even created and some supporters may value them greater than Champions league triumph.

Any way if you win Champions league without being best in your league it does lose its lustre a bit.

Last edited:

Mr Smith

Great idea for a thread (as much as I hate the idea of us looking down on particular competitions, as any trophy is worth winning).

Premier League: The CL obviously has more prestige, but personally I believe that a league campaign is a much more accurate sign of true champions than a knockout competition, as it requires much more consistency.
Champions League
Europa League
FA Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup
Community Shield
Super Cup

Any way if you win Champions league without being best in your league it does lose its lustre a bit.
I actually disagree with this; if anything it's more glorious if you win the Champions League despite having a troubled league campaign. That's the equally great and terrible thing about knockout competitions; the winner can sometimes not be the best team, which is something that can almost never be said about a league campaign. I'd also argue though that the modern 'super club' era has kind of ruined this aspect of the CL; the big teams are so powerful that an underdog victory is extremely unlikely, and we'd now consider an Atletico Madrid champions league triumph an underdog achievement (which it really shouldn't be, as Atletico are one of the best teams in the world with an abundance of talent).

Last edited:

Richard Cranium

You can luck out in a league win too, albeit very very rare. For me the CL is most important as it really is the pinnacle of club football.

I think players and fans alike both get more emotionally involved in knock out/cup football in any sport and players will try harder in the CL whereas the league is your run of the mill every week bread and butter. Not taking anything away from the importance or achievement of winning the league, but for me the CL is a bigger and rarer achievement.
Some teams who couldn't cut it domestically have scraped their way to a CL win before. You can't park the bus for 38 games and win the league. I think the league is the better test of a teams minerals. After that if a team wins the CL then they can genuinely be considered one of the better teams in Europe. However, 5th or lower domestically and winning the CL doesn't make you "European Champions" just cup winners.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I see your point, but you're giving an unfair comparison. How if over 5 year window you give 1 league title and 4 4th place finishes versus 1 CL and 5 4th place finishes? Or over a 5 year window you give 3 titles vs 3 CL Cups ? Which I think Barca racked up that many CL Cups from 2006 to 2011..
Wasn't looking to be unfair. I know I took the conversation elsewhere.

I think Arsenal fans would rather win a League title. United, Chelsea and City fans would take the CL. Could be wrong.

Don't want to drown in hypotheticals but I'd take a league title with Juve winning the CL over Liverpool taking the league and us the CL. I'm a romantic. Probably to a fault.

Logical Fan

Supports
Chelsea
I think we forgot to include one more trophy here. The 4th place trophy.
Arsenal and Wenger made it popular the last few years but judging by a few threads on here, this could be the one 'trophy' United fans want most this season

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My opinion is the PL is harder to obtain over CL but CL is more prestigious due to caliber of opposition to a point.
That's why we only have 3 league titles and 20 Champions leagues?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1999 CL run is still my favorite experience as a football fan and I never had the same feeling after winning the league; although 1992/93 must've felt absolutely unreal.

re: CL and luck - will you call Ancelotti's Milan lucky but not deserving winners? They were atrocious in the league for the most times. Not every CL winner is 2005 Liverpool or 2012 Chelsea

ti vu

1999 CL run is still my favorite experience as a football fan and I never had the same feeling after winning the league; although 1992/93 must've felt absolutely unreal.

re: CL and luck - will you call Ancelotti's Milan lucky but not deserving winners? They were atrocious in the league for the most times. Not every CL winner is 2005 Liverpool or 2012 Chelsea
Ancelotti's Milan deserved every bit for winning & getting to the latter round (semi & final here) of CL as usual as they did. L'pool & Chelsea deserved to win when you look at the opponents they beat to win it. It's not stylistic nor convincing but it's hard fought.

When people talk about winning the league gives a different feel to winning CL alongside, I think they mean it helps with the sense of superiority. Milan & Real Madrid did it a few times, and there are always this feeling that they're not the best teams around when they did it. As I said, deserved it but not convincing King of Europe.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
1. Champions League - biggest one and where we can improve.
2. Premier League - goes without saying above any other bar CL
3. Europa League - gives you CL place and winning the second best international competition
4. FA Cup - not as highly regarded or as good as it once was
5. League Cup - option to play youngsters, but would rather have just one domestic cup.

Mickey mouse cups in no particular order:
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield
This.

CL is the pinnacle of club football with no back-to-back winner since it's inception, which lays testament to how hard a competition it is dominate. The league, by contrast, can be won by a dominant, expensive squad being rotated throughout a season. Monied clubs across the continent have come in and proven that finance alone can win you domestic titles, not one of them, sans Chelsea, have done a thing of note in the CL.

EL is a consolation cup for those not good enough to be in the CL, but it's still harder to win and more significant than domestic cups.

The FA Cup was an amazing and important competition until it was bastardised and devalued to the point it's nothing but a footnote that a lot of clubs and fans would gladly trade for a top 4 finish.

The League Cup has grown in stature and importance over the last 10 years as it's the competition in which youngsters can be blooded and integrated into squads proper. It's also the catalyst for newly formed teams under new managers or in need of a cup after a time out in the wilderness and it doesn't interfere with the pursuit of a top 4 place due to it's February conclusion.

The CWC is huge for S.A, but it's a nothing cup for most English clubs - nice to win, but not worth any sadness if it's not acquired.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Club World Cup means you're the best in the world

Champions League means you're the best in Europe.

Premier League means you're the best in England.

For me... Club World Cup > Champions League > Premier League > FA Cup > Europa League > EFL Cup > Super Cup > Community Shield.

Of course, winning the Club World Cup is worthless unless you win the Champions League. Its basically the certification that you're the best in the world rather than just in Europe. Ideally, you would win the league and Champions League in the one season to truly cement yourself as the best.
Do you rate Kashima Antlers as the 2nd best in the world? :confused:

fatboy

I see the CL is "play-offs" for the previous season. Playing in the CL means you were top 2-4 in your domestic league last season. Winning the CL simply means, out of all the teams from last season that qualified for this play-off, you were the best in a knockout tournament format. It's tough to qualify for, and therefore even harder to win. For that I'd rate it top in terms of "prestige", if you will. Comes with massive bragging rights.

However, winning your domestic league gives you immediate legitimacy as the best team in your country. It is that prime target that your club aims for at the start of every season, and why your club existed in the first place. You simply can't throw away the league for any other title or trophy, it's just not done. And for that I'd rate it top in terms of importance.

So going with the original question in this thread:

Premier League
Champions League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
World Club Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Revan

Assumptionman
1-3) Champions League
4) Premier League
5) Europa League
6) FA Cup
7) Club's World Cup
8) League Cup
9) European Super Cup
10) Community Shield

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
To win the CL you need to beat some of the the best teams in Europe, many over two legs. To win the league you need to acquire the most amount of points, often against comparatively poor opposition.

Each competition measure a different sets of skills. However being clutch, and perform when it truly counts in a competition with all the best teams in Europe is worth more to me than being the beat at routinely beating 19 other domestic teams.

The CL got all the best teams in Europe in it. Champion of France, Spain, England, Italy, and so on. I cannot understand the logic behind the PL being more valuable.

Troozi

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Couldn't give a shit about the last 3 tbh
Exactly the same for me. Would much rather us have won the Europa Cup than the FA Cup