Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Watching him give it the ‘ave it! on the halfway line made me think he’s settled in quicker than most.

A-man

I've not seen the numbers, but felt to me like Varane won a lot of headers today. Feel like Lindelof would have been way more flustered.
He won 2 out of 5 aerials according to the official stats (40%).

EtH

Have to say first time in a while I found it surreal watching a player debut for us. He is the closest thing in world football to Rio and will win us points routinely going forward just as Rio did. What a player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wait, am I missing it, but I saw him embarrassingly dropping a bollock on a set piece and being done by Saisse, who couldn't score on two golden chances. It was Wolves best chance of the match and we were incredibly lucky. How can this be ignored? Yous would've called for the Swede's head on a spike for the same performance. Was decent otherwise, but c'mon!
You clown :lol:

That's what happens with zonal marking. If you stand still and a defender the same height as you gets a running jump they're always going to get above you. It happens.

Remember Dunk beat Maguire in a similar situation at Old trafford?

Varane was excellent today.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He won 2 out of 5 aerials according to the official stats (40%).
This is clearly where stats are very misleading in that case. Nobody who watched that game today would say he won 40% of his duels

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are the dual stats “contested” headers rather than just headers?

A-man

Where did you see those stats? He won a lot more than two headers today.
This is clearly where stats are very misleading in that case. Nobody who watched that game today would say he won 40% of his duels
He headed away at least two corners in the first half alone. If I had to guess I’d say it was more like five or six.
I think so, yeah. Plus you have the “clearances” stat. Can’t that include headers too?
Centrebacks always win many more headers than what you can see in the stats for aerial duels. To be an aerial duel it must be a duel, not just every header. If you’re not challenged physically it is a clearance. It has always been like that. Maguire won 2/4 in this match as example.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He was great. Very composed and dealt with a lot of tricky stuff in that first half.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In which case that’s completely different. His positioning at corners/crosses was great and he had multiple clearances where he was uncontested.

I think so, yeah. Plus you have the “clearances” stat. Can’t that include headers too?
Right and you also have to take into consideration the fact that you don’t have to actually win a header to win a dual even though the statistics don’t suggest that. If you get up for a header and do enough to challenge your opponent so their header is anything but on target, you’ve done your job and more often than not it results in a better outcome.

AgentP

What I loved about his performance today was everything he did was so effortless. Normally, whenever the attackers get past Maguire, we usually concede. Today, we had Varane to provide cover to Maguire.

Dan_F

Centrebacks always win many more headers than what you can see in the stats for aerial duels. To be an aerial duel it must be a duel, not just every header. If you’re not challenged physically it is a clearance. It has always been like that. Maguire won 2/4 in this match as example.
That’s fair. Just shows how stats can be manipulated though. The corners he headed clear were done in a way that he prevented it becoming a duel, which is a massive improvement on what we saw last season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In which case that’s completely different. His positioning at corners/crosses was great and he had multiple clearances where he was uncontested.

Right and you also have to take into consideration the fact that you don’t have to actually win a header to win a dual even though the statistics don’t suggest that. If you get up for a header and do enough to challenge your opponent so their header is anything but on target, you’ve done your job and more often than not it results in a better outcome.
A good example being AWB’s excellent defending at the far post vs Jimenez the one and only time Traore put a decent cross in.

I guess like all stats (in any field) they only make sense with a large sample size. Today Varane looked very good in the air. I’m sure the stats will confirm this soon enough.

Side note. I think Lindelof is better in the air than he’s given credit for.

A-man

That’s fair. Just shows how stats can be manipulated though. The corners he headed clear were done in a way that he prevented it becoming a duel, which is a massive improvement on what we saw last season.
It’s not manipulated, but aerial stats are more difficult to understand than most other stats :)
Aerials are broken down in to clearances and aerial duels but a clearance with precision could also become a pass or interception…

Anyways
Varane won 2 aerial duels and lost 3. He also had 2 headed clearances.

stats from Whoscored

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Watching him defend was such a huge contrast to Lindelof. Varane actually cut shit off before the threat happens and moved to help cover his teammates instead of pointing fingers at where they should have covered.

edcunited1878

Watching him defend was such a huge contrast to Lindelof. Varane actually cut shit off before the threat happens and moved to help cover his teammates instead of pointing fingers at where they should have covered.
Lindelof sees those same things, but Varane's instincts and reading is levels above. Plus Varane is so long and two strides, he's across to block or stand a player up. He just glides across to cover. He was as vocal as he could be and it was great to see. Not sure if you saw his post-match interview, but he seemed like he genuinely loved the challenge as was like, yep, this is what I wanted and it was fresh!

Dan_F

It’s not manipulated, but aerial stats are more difficult to understand than most other stats :)
Aerials are broken down in to clearances and aerial duels but the. A clearance with precision could also become a pass or interception…

Anyways
Varane won 2 aerial duels and lost 3. He also had 2 headed clearances.

stats from Whoscored
I probably shouldn’t have used the word manipulated. Rather that they can be used to make something seem better/worse than they actually are.

For example, two “uncontested” headed clearances from a corner might be far more important than losing a duel way further up the pitch, that he might have had no business winning.

He looked like he was in total control all game. Even with players running at him he knew exactly what to do. The perfect start.

Tee27

Felt a sense of calmness with him there even when Adama made that burst through the middle at the start and was sort of 1v1 with him. I felt confident he knew the right thing to do or even if he ran at him there’s very few CBs more equipped than him to be able to stop him due to his pace and power.

He’s going to be some player for us I’m sure of it, you could already see at times him shouting and trying to get everyone going which is so underrated.

Just hope there’s less games in the future however which are that frantic and we can actually control more games.

The Hilton

He looked like he was in total control all game. Even with players running at him he knew exactly what to do. The perfect start.
He got bailed out by DDG's wonder save from the corner after he got done by Saiss, but other than that he was flawless.

Blood Mage

Probably the most defending he's had to do in a single game since his Lens days, and he handled it like a boss. The signing of the season.

El Jefe

What I loved most about his performance was that after about 20mins you could already see he was a better player and defender than Maguire and it brought a level of calmess at the back I've not seen since Rio and Vidic. Our back four was horribly exposed by a porous midfield and their wide players were giving our FBs all sorts of problems but both CBs, especially Varane were able to anticipate and cover excellently when openings arose.

As a defender he has the lot. Reads the game perfectly, great in the air, fast, is aggressive when he needs to and his passing was much better than I expected based on his previous games I'd watched.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Pure class today.

After the brilliant CB partnership of Jones and Smalling, we’re finally sorted out with Maguire and Varane.
You mean the partnership that never was?

We did have the Blind-Smalling partnership that was pretty decent.

lex talionis

You mean the partnership that never was?

We did have the Blind-Smalling partnership that was pretty decent.
I was having too much fun at the expense of Chris and Phil, who worked hard and had some moments but never found anything approaching a partnership of any kind.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I was having too much fun at the expense of Chris and Phil, who worked hard and had some moments but never found anything approaching a partnership of any kind.
They hardly ever played at centrehalf with each other to even call what they had a partnership, though.

criticalanalysis

I said in the match day thread, there was a moment when Adama was charging forward towards Varane and he chose to lay it off to his right and it ultimately came to nothing. If that was Lindelof, he would have taken him on 100%. His reputation proceeded him and Adama just didn’t fancy even trying to beat him 1 on 1.
Yes he did well in that. He was trying to bait Traore to go down the outside of his right where the empty space was, which made him make another pass instead. In that situation, when you have a fast attacking player running at you towards your goal in open space with runners to his side, forcing another pass/delaying their opportunity in attacking your goal is always the best risk-to-reward choice.

So true :lol:.

Lindelof sees those same things, but Varane's instincts and reading is levels above. Plus Varane is so long and two strides, he's across to block or stand a player up. He just glides across to cover. He was as vocal as he could be and it was great to see. Not sure if you saw his post-match interview, but he seemed like he genuinely loved the challenge as was like, yep, this is what I wanted and it was fresh!
Agree, which is why I don't understand why Lindelof's fans have a hard time understanding the criticism he gets. It's one thing to recognise but you need to act on it too. If you wanted to be generous you could say putting Varane's body on Lindelof's brain would give you the same player (covering style, reading of the game etc) but the fact is that Lindelof doesn't have this physical prowess or any other elite attribute to make up for it. It's so utterly bizzare to see him highly rated by some of our fans for essentially doing risk-adverse and minimal engagement type of defending. He's no hack and deserves his spot in the squad but the clamouring that he's not a weak link etc has pretty much been proven wrong by Varane's performance today; there's no shame in that of course.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Probably the most defending he's had to do in a single game since his Lens days, and he handled it like a boss. The signing of the season.
That’s just not true just in case you really believe it

I don’t pretend to to watch la liga every week but I know enough that especially in recent seasons Real fall behind surprisingly frequently.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Varane was fantastic today. However, had that been LIndelof getting muscled out and losing that header which resulted in the De Gea double save the Caf would be going into meltdown. With that being said, i don't expect any defender to win every single header and this is why De Gea should be out punching balls that are in his 6. He made the saves today, but we have seen too many similar occasions where he hasn't and the central defenders have taken the blame...

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Good performance for a CB's debut. Even got a goal contribution (with a pass I could've made).

Status
Not open for further replies.