Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Rio was a much better player than Vidic man.
Absolutely. I also feel that Rio was only fully appreciated live, rather than on tv.

His anticipation, awareness, speed and positioning can’t be appreciated from tv.

It’s often said but worth repeating - he often didn’t make the highlights reels because he didn’t get into the situation where he needed to make a big tackle. He prevented them.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think it’s hard to compare as demands of the ball handling skills are different in the modern game. The press is so much more intense now. If we flew back Varane to 2008 maybe he would also look great on the ball?
Exactly. Varane was considered good on the ball when he was at Lens. He still is ok on the ball, if not necessarily the best. I think if he stays fit there’ll be more of that as the season goes on.

Loris was seen as good with his feet when he signed for Spurs but now looks pretty weak with that. I’m sure that’s what stood out with De Gea in his first season as well. - but then English football caught up a bit on what keepers can do.

Flying_Heckfish

Absolutely. I also feel that Rio was only fully appreciated live, rather than on tv.

His anticipation, awareness, speed and positioning can’t be appreciated from tv.

It’s often said but worth repeating - he often didn’t make the highlights reels because he didn’t get into the situation where he needed to make a big tackle. He prevented them.
Agreed, brillaint defender. Someone posted the Amldini quote in another thread:

"If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."

This was Rio. Vidic did the agressive stuff, and Rio covered an held up play. Amazing pairing.

AussieDevil

On the basis of what he has already achieved, and his current form, he is probably the “best” player at the club.

Olecurls99

I think it's indicative of his and the team's performances that he's now being compared to Rio Ferdinand and not Harry Maguire.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And stronger and quicker.

It's not even close.
Agree with you about everything but pace. Peak Varane was quicker than peak Ferdinand.

Peak Ferdinand was absolutely rapid of course but peak Varane was unbelievable.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agree with you about everything but pace. Peak Varane was quicker than peak Ferdinand.

I seem to remember that Rio was ridiculously fast to the point where he would put himself in ridiculous bad positions and still have the ability to recover due to his pace. Varane is/was also fast but his fast recovery was also due to the fact that he has almost always been a more disciplined and anticipation-based defender.

Marwood

Yeah you probably watched more of Varane than me so can't argue.

Maybe its his running style. Not as pleasing on the eye as peak Ferdinand, who to me was silky smooth in the way he covered grass.

Remember Fergie saying he'd never managed a footballer with a change of pace like Rio had.

Betson

Has become a huge player for us , but you just know he is going to pick up an injury on International duty.

Dion

Ferdinand was the best defender in a very good defence, but Vidic made any defence a very good defence. As an organiser and a leader he was unmatched and Evans and Ferdinand never looked as good as they did next to Vidic, Vidic was always Vidic no matter who you put next to him.

flameinthesun

I seem to remember that Rio was ridiculously fast to the point where he would put himself in ridiculous bad positions and still have the ability to recover due to his pace. Varane is/was also fast but his fast recovery was also due to the fact that he has almost always been a more disciplined and anticipation-based defender.
Rio has mentioned this many times that he would deliberately put himself in those positions when he was young so could make himself look good, he'd also dribble a lot more and try to take on forwards. His mentality was as long as he had a good game then it didn't matter if he lost. Think when he came to united and partnered with vidic evra etc that he developed more of a mindset of playing for the team and more importantly playing for your defensive unit. The back 4 we have now is not as good as the 08 one, but what they definitely seem to have in common is that togetherness and sense of being a unit rather than just individuals.

SAF is the GOAT

That Arsenal clown fan Joel said after the game against them that Saliba is better now in the age of 21 than Rio was in that age.

3 goals that probably 2 of them were Saliba's direct fault

Stacks

Ferdinand was the best defender in a very good defence, but Vidic made any defence a very good defence. As an organiser and a leader he was unmatched and Evans and Ferdinand never looked as good as they did next to Vidic, Vidic was always Vidic no matter who you put next to him.
Ferdinand won titles without Vidic......

phelans shorts

I saw Vidic have more shockers than Rio, easily. Vidic was brilliant but Rio was a different gravy.

TsuWave

Agreed, brillaint defender. Someone posted the Amldini quote in another thread:

"If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."

This was Rio. Vidic did the agressive stuff, and Rio covered an held up play. Amazing pairing.
This quote always makes me laugh. The stuff that people eat up, man

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That Arsenal clown fan Joel said after the game against them that Saliba is better now in the age of 21 than Rio was in that age.

3 goals that probably 2 of them were Saliba's direct fault
Fans are not subjective, especially Arsenal ones. I remember how they used to say their young players would dominate English football till we proceeded to spank them with a team that had a lower age average. :lol:

El Jefe

This quote always makes me laugh. The stuff that people eat up, man
It was a throwaway quote that people lap up. I'd go as far as saying its a bullshit quote seeing as some of the best defenders and DM's of all time were known for tackling. Nesta and Lahm tackled all the time and they were some of the most gracious defenders around. Maldini too funny enough.

Dion

I saw Vidic have more shockers than Rio, easily. Vidic was brilliant but Rio was a different gravy.
I'm not sure on that personally, but it's not really relevant. Shockers made up a tiny portion of both players careers.

Ferdinand won titles without Vidic......
Yes, he did. He was a very good defender playing for a very good team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We were top the season when Arsenal went unbeaten then Ferdinand got banned
I always remember that season for how ridiculously good Silvestre was in the first half of the season. Most of us on here considered him to have been our best player and probably the second best in the league behind Henry. But then Rio got banned and Silvestre fell apart, and never got close to that level of form in his career again.

Stacks

I always remember that season for how ridiculously good Silvestre was in the first half of the season. Most of us on here considered him to have been our best player and probably the second best in the league behind Henry. But then Rio got banned and Silvestre fell apart, and never got close to that level of form in his career again.
2nd best behind Henry in the whole league? what about the other Arsenal players? Campbell etc? they went unbeaten

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
2nd best behind Henry in the whole league? what about the other Arsenal players? Campbell etc? they went unbeaten
Talking purely in the first half of the season. Until early January we were ahead of them, so it's not surprising that our most in-form player (that many/most felt had been Silvestre) was probably the second best in the league. Like I said he collapsed after Rio's ban though, so obviously didn't finish anywhere near the top.

AdNani

I'm not sure on that personally, but it's not really relevant. Shockers made up a tiny portion of both players careers.

Yes, he did. He was a very good defender playing for a very good team.
When was Vidic not in a very good team? in fact Vidic during his time for the most part played with Rio.

Rio looked world class for us when he first signed playing with Silvestre/Wes/Heinze, who while all being good players were never top class.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He was playing REALLY well though. Like, abnormally well it seems ridiculous to say but we looked really good in that opening part of the season. The ban changed the whole dynamic.

Stacks

Talking purely in the first half of the season. Until early January we were ahead of them, so it's not surprising that our most in-form player (that many/most felt had been Silvestre) was probably the second best in the league. Like I said he collapsed after Rio's ban though, so obviously didn't finish anywhere near the top.
He was playing REALLY well though. Like, abnormally well it seems ridiculous to say but we looked really good in that opening part of the season. The ban changed the whole dynamic.
I remember Wes Brown looked decent next to Rio. Starting to notice a pattern

Dion

When was Vidic not in a very good team? in fact Vidic during his time for the most part played with Rio.

Rio looked world class for us when he first signed playing with Silvestre/Wes/Heinze, who while all being good players were never top class.
When did I say Vidic didn't play in a good team?

Ferdinand did play very well in his first season, he was also very questionable for a couple of seasons after that and was never the same player for England as he was for United. Basically every defence Vidic was involved in, both internationally and at club level was incredibly solid until he left United.

Rossa

Agree with this. Rio was absolutely rapid, but United didn't use a high line as much as RM did, so rarely did Rio have to compete in a 40 yard foot race, but there are some memorable moments. When Torres played his first game against United, the commentator raved about his speed, and then he came up against Rio, "And Torres puts on his afterburners... oh, Rio intercepts..." and then Rio eclipsed him and proceeded to brush him off the ball. He also kept up with R9 (who was stupidly quick) and even outpaced Eto'o in his prime who was one of the fastest players I've seen. On the first few yards, I think Rio was definitely quicker than Varane, but Varane has an impressive top speed for sure.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Rio was just closest that you can be for perfect defender.
He had pace, he had fantastic sense for positioning, he was excellent in air and he had excellent technique (for defender). I love Vidic too and rate him but Rio man....he was joy to watch (just like Varane is in this generation).

Vidic was excellent defender but come on, Rio was just one of the best (if not the best) defender of his generation. And best central defender in PL history. In last few years "PL all time best 11" was hot topic in media and Rio is in all of them. Picked by players who played with/against him.

Irwin99

Get nervous every time this thread is bumped now when we're not playing :nervous:

Have absolutely loved Martinez's performances for us but Varane is clearly the glue that holds it altogether. EtH pretty much hinted at it. Please stay fit.

Dan_F

Can't depend on him sadly. He got injured by blocking the ball.
He got injured because he rolled his ankle after blocking a ball. Completely different to any kind of muscle injury that he had previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.