Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

What difference to what happened do people think an injured player just hobbling about would’ve made?
Organizing, being an 11th man on the corner if he doesnt have to come off, having 11 men on the pitch if he says he cant continue and Lindelof comes on to replace him

All of them basically

Red00012

Weren't we 2-0 down already and getting opened up for fun?

To be fair I don't even want to blame the defenders today. When midfield and attack are losing the ball every time they get it, and they fail to cut off the supply, fail to track runners - there's no defenders in the world who could have stopped City from scoring.
It was 1-0 when he got injured , he was off the field for the 2nd goal and his man scored. For the 3rd goal you could see he was injured for it

Ekeke

It was 1-0 when he got injured , he was off the field for the 2nd goal and his man scored. For the 3rd goal you could see he was injured for it
And if he wasnt and it was just a ball thats undefendable, why was he subbed right after?

We finally decided he wasnt up to it and should take him off. So what played out was the worst case scenario. Down to 10 and concede corner. Now man is off pitch for corner still down to 10. Concede. Now injured player is playing, concede another goal and take player off because hes injured.

It should have been down with injury, a few seconds of the ref playing on, okay ill get to my feet and do what I can. Ball goes out, sub and in comes backup CB. 11 Vs 11 on the corner and if United concede 2 more goals its not my problem. I've been subbed off

Red00012

And if he wasnt and it was just a ball thats undefendable, why was he subbed right after?

We finally decided he wasnt up to it and should take him off. So what played out was the worst case scenario. Down to 10 and concede corner. Now man is off pitch for corner still down to 10. Concede. Now injured player is playing, concede another goal and take player off because hes injured.

It should have been down with injury, a few seconds of the ref playing on, okay ill get to my feet and do what I can. Ball goes out, sub and in comes backup CB. 11 Vs 11 on the corner and if United concede 2 more goals its not my problem. I've been subbed off
My head hurts reading this

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What difference to what happened do people think an injured player just hobbling about would’ve made?
Well, exactly. If anything, it would have made us even more vulnerable. The only thing worse than being a man down is having a lame player who team mates might expect to contribute but isn’t able. What happens when another defender hands over a runner to him? Or assumes he will be able to jump for a header? Or hits a pass for him to run onto?

As usual, it’s not hard to see who has and hasn’t played football at any kind of competitive level.

acnumber9

Organizing, being an 11th man on the corner if he doesnt have to come off, having 11 men on the pitch if he says he cant continue and Lindelof comes on to replace him

All of them basically
So you’re suggesting that he should not only play on injured but continue to play on injured after the next stoppage? That’s fecking stupid. How long do you think the ref will allow us to get a sub ready?

acnumber9

Well, exactly. If anything, it would have made us even more vulnerable. The only thing worse than being a man down is having a lame player who team mates might expect to contribute but isn’t able. What happens when another defender hands over a runner to him? Or assumes he will be able to jump for a header? Or hits a pass for him to run onto?

As usual, it’s not hard to see who has and hasn’t played football at any kind of competitive level.
I think some are still having an emotional reaction to what happened. Which is understandable. Kind of.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Haaland scored from the position which was being zonal marked by Varane. Then Haaland stretched for a ball which Varane could have cleared if he was 100%. Those 2 quick goals really killed any chance we may have had. Hopefully he isn’t injured for long because he is crucial for us

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think he didn't want to play the rest of the match. Who could blame him.
I don't think he's that sort. Don't think we have any players like that at the moment.

If he's out for two weeks that 4-5 matches. I'd have taken conceding 4 more goals for him to be fit after the match.

arthurka

I don't think he's that sort. Don't think we have any players like that at the moment.

If he's out for two weeks that 4-5 matches. I'd have taken conceding 4 more goals for him to be fit after the match.
Yeah makes sense, the game was over at that point.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Varane needs to toughen up. Nothing worse than seeing a player lying on the ground while the opposition is attacking. Get up, show some balls and take one for the team. Sure, he was injured, but you still have to try. This reminded me of last year when De Gea lied on the ground and Arsenal scored. Get up. Hobble around if you have to. Maybe then City doesn't end up with a corner kick...
:lol: seriously! Some of the posts here are Oscar worthy!

poleglass red

It's sad he's our best defender and the gulf in class today was huge.good player in a great team. We aren't a great team.

sepulturite

Jesus some of our so called fans really love to hate on some of our players even when there's no justifiable reason don't they? It's tiresome.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I felt the exact same way. It instantly reminded me of De Gea last season. I hate when players do that. Get up and at least try and do what you can.
Exactly...but because people play favourites around here and pass judgments based on who it is rather than what happened, most won't say anything. Imagine if that was Maguire?

OmarUnited4ever

Everyone around him was terrible, but that does not excuse him at all, he should've been the leader of the defense and the team conceded very early chances before the 1st goal and he should've instructed his team to tighten the spaces and challenge City players in the duels.

Disappointing outing for him.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Sadly his best days are behind him. Injury history doesn't help his cause either - we need another starting cb next summer.

croadyman

Made of glass like Bailly after all, just when I thought he might be able to stay fit

Real Name

So after a Rolls Royce of a defender suddenly he's at his best days are behind him phase again..

He twisted his ankle, those things happen and that doesn't go in 'injury prone' department.

Last edited:

Longshanks

In hindsight we should of taken him off immediately, if you stay on the floor for a couple of minutes not moving while you team are defending wave after wave of dangerous attacks as a CB than really it quite obvious your day is done.

It's hard not to think the 2nd and 3rd goals were in part due to his injury, one him not being on the pitch after recieving treatment and he was clearly struggling for full movement for the 3rd.

TSop

Supports
Altrincham
he is a shithouse.... yeah he turned his ankle but lets be honest. he did fancy it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
2nd he was off the pitch, as our main CB for set pieces and would have been marking Haaland. He was off because he was injured, but he stayed down leading to us defending with 10 and giving away a corner. And then he was fine to come back on, not fine for defending the 3rd, and then subbed.

Either he's injured or he's not, and even if he is then staying down when the ref isnt stopping play is a bad call. That led to the corner and him being off the pitch when it came in and we conceded. Play on till the ball goes out then if you're injured come off. Dont cost us multple goals playing injured.

Not that our backup was that good. Lindelof could have come on and made more mistakes and we'd concede just as many. But we'd know to blame Lindelof then, not our most experienced CB
How is he to know that the ref isn’t going to stop play? If he gets up, he obviously wouldn’t, because he is up now! And 9 times out of 10, a ref would have stopped play with a defender on the ground on the edge of the box being passed around for 20 seconds.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
he is a shithouse.... yeah he turned his ankle but lets be honest. he did fancy it.
Haha, multiple Champions League winner, World Cup winner was too scared to play against Manchester City - winner of the Premier League?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

Sprained ankle for Raphaël Varane (Manchester United), exams on Monday
Sprained Ankle, i reckon three weeks treatment and one week of training to get match fittness, so he could be out for the rest of this month, Such is our luck we are back to Lindelöf and Maguire.

Chief123

Exactly...but because people play favourites around here and pass judgments based on who it is rather than what happened, most won't say anything. Imagine if that was Maguire?
Maguire would never have got near the player to block the shot which caused the injury in the first place. He’d be too busy facing the other way.

El Jefe

Varane was clearly hobbled for the third but even if he was 100% that pass from KDB was exceptional as was the timing of the run from Haaland.

It was really the second goal that fecked us and it's idiotic to blame Varane for that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The 3rd he couldn't do anything about it? We'd crucify Maguire if it was him.

It was a fantastic pass though.
Nobody with a brain is blaming a centreback on the 3rd goal.

Please tell me what he's supposed to do differently in that situation? the ball was perfectly curled around him. Haaland being a 6'5 freak is the only rason he managed to reach that ball

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Nobody with a brain is blaming a centreback on the 3rd goal.

Please tell me what he's supposed to do differently in that situation? the ball was perfectly curled around him. Haaland being a 6'5 freak is the only rason he managed to reach that ball
He lost him, especially because it's Haaland. You can't lose him at any time. So yes he could have done something about it. But it is not a huge error either.

Status
Not open for further replies.