Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

Yes I noticed that last season as well, the two CBs plus McT always marked zones. In this situation, with Varane out, the only reasonable thing would have been for McTominay to go for Haaland imo. It felt as this was a miss in communication.

We conceded 5 corner in total. 1 with Varane on the pitch, 1 when he was off injured and 3 when he was replaced by Lindeof. I don’t remember how we marked Haaland at those other occasions.
Eriksen also picked up Haaland at the first corner, when Varane was on the pitch. Lentwood has given a good explanation for why this was.

I would have thought putting someone like Dalot on him might have been a better option though. He is at least a defender and (one would hope) more adept at tracking a run and making sure he was in the way.

RedOrange

I've snapped both achilles tendons and walked off the field
Yeah but you're a nobody.

Varane's foot bent 40 degrees around more than it's supposed to. It must have hurt like crazy and he wouldn't have known if it was a broken bone or torn ligaments or just nothing. The physios probably tell them not to stand and move when it hurts that much because putting weight on a leg with a broken bone or a joint with a torn ligament is a good way to make the injury a lot worse.

Everyone at the club will be gutted to hear you think Varane's a pussy for not pointlessly hobbling around. I'm sure they'll change their approach and tell everyone to potentially make their injuries more severe you can have a nice wank on your couch over it.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

The way he stopped moving on the ground instead of writhing in pain says it all. City were being cnuts, KDB in particular. I get they were probably instructed to be ruthless in the derby, but they completely abandoned sportsmanship.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm replying to people. Not making new posts. I'm just amazed that nobody else has a problem with one of our players lying there acting like he's shot. I'd just like people to make posts based on what our players do, not who did it. If that was Maguire the caf would be losing their shit
The response depends entirely on whether the injury seems like a serious one. It's why De Gea did get shit for when he did it last season as it was obviously not a serious injury and he was just playing for the ref, whereas Varane's appeared (in real time, in the replay, and in the aftermath when he ended up having to be subbed) to be a very painful and potentially serious injury.

Now, I do agree with you that if it were Maguire he would be getting more criticism as people would have allowed their dislike of him to effect their judgement. It's unfortunate, and in that case they would have been wrong. Just like you are now.

phelans shorts

Varane needs to toughen up. Nothing worse than seeing a player lying on the ground while the opposition is attacking. Get up, show some balls and take one for the team. Sure, he was injured, but you still have to try. This reminded me of last year when De Gea lied on the ground and Arsenal scored. Get up. Hobble around if you have to. Maybe then City doesn't end up with a corner kick...
On the contrary that’s much worse, as teammates will expect him to be able to contribute to the defending when in fact he’ll just be a statue.

If he’s down somebody will drop in to cover rather than having Haaland just walk into the space he’s left

A-man

Zonal marking. The old 'big lads take big lads' man-for-man system was pretty easy to abuse because it was too easy to take the opposition's best defensive headers out of the game.

With zonal marking, the best headers of the ball are always in the positions which require the most defending.

Now, the obvious problem with that is that if you're marking an area, the attackers are going to be able to get a run on you and should have an advantage if the delivery is right.

So...what you do is, ask the players who are not good defensive headers/smaller to block the opponents runs.

What happened on Sunday was that McT was in the key defensive position and Haaland was the target. Eriksen should have been blocking Haaland but it was a pathetic attempt. Just as teams have blockers for attackers, teams have blockers/distracters for defenders...so Gundogan was occupying McT, Eriksen didn't do his job, the delivery was great and Haaland was able to get up high and score.

I played for many years at CB/CDM and was always the main (or one of the main) defenders/attackers of a set-piece. I hated man-for-man because it's nearly impossible to prevent a good header of the ball getting a run on you from a standing start. Plus, opponents would block you off. I would much rather be given an area to defend.
Thanks for explaining. I’ve understood a bit of the concept, but not the disadvantages and advantages. I have noticed that the last two seasons we have lined up our CBs plus maybe McT along the goal line or one metre out from it. I understood it was their zones but never thought it worked,,, however I can understand the alternative is even more difficult.

To me it sounds as the zonal marking system could work well if you have 3-5 aerially strong guys, but not so good with 1 or 2. Or what do you say?

Basically every corner goal we have conceded is because the small guy was run over or lost his man. Feels like that’s an aspect of the game that needs more practise.

Eriksen also picked up Haaland at the first corner, when Varane was on the pitch. Lentwood has given a good explanation for why this was.

I would have thought putting someone like Dalot on him might have been a better option though. He is at least a defender and (one would hope) more adept at tracking a run and making sure he was in the way.
Agree, Dalot would be a better choice. Erika en is a fantastic player, but not good at defending.
Actually I just saw the press conference and ETH said it was “absolutely not” the plan that Wriksen should mark Haaland at the corner. It seems like either a misunderstanding or they didn’t have a leader who could change the plan when Varane was out, as ETH blames the circumstances. Check around 3:30

Doracle

That’s odd as Eriksen was definitely also standing with him at the first corner as well. The commentary I was watching pointed it out as a mismatch. I don’t recall noticing if it changed after as I was paying less attention at 3-0!

Marwood

That’s odd as Eriksen was definitely also standing with him at the first corner as well. The commentary I was watching pointed it out as a mismatch. I don’t recall noticing if it changed after as I was paying less attention at 3-0!
Eriksen is just a speed bump.

One of the bigger lads will ultimately be contesting the header in the danger zone.

But I don't think Varane wins that header anyway. Great delivery and Haaaland times his run perfectly.

Only chance you have is maybe the keeper punching it out. But we know that won't happen.

croadyman

The way he stopped moving on the ground instead of writhing in pain says it all. City were being cnuts, KDB in particular. I get they were probably instructed to be ruthless in the derby, but they completely abandoned sportsmanship.
Not surprised are you they are run by crooks

Lentwood

Thanks for explaining. I’ve understood a bit of the concept, but not the disadvantages and advantages. I have noticed that the last two seasons we have lined up our CBs plus maybe McT along the goal line or one metre out from it. I understood it was their zones but never thought it worked,,, however I can understand the alternative is even more difficult.

To me it sounds as the zonal marking system could work well if you have 3-5 aerially strong guys, but not so good with 1 or 2. Or what do you say?

Basically every corner goal we have conceded is because the small guy was run over or lost his man. Feels like that’s an aspect of the game that needs more practise.
One of the big issues that we have specifically is that our GK is very weak (physically and mentally) and doesn't leave his line to claim crosses or corner-kicks.

What this means is that the opponents can stick the ball right into the most dangerous area i.e. right on top of the 6-yard box, knowing that the goalkeeper won't come and claim the cross.

It also doesn't help that we have several players who I would describe in-line with the old 'Football Manager 2007' line - "lacks the physical and mental capacity to ever be a real threat in the air".

There's far more to being a good defensive/attacking header than just being tall and reasonably strong. You have to want to go and win the header. Many players don't *really* want to win it. They'll head it if the ball lands on their head, but they don't have that single-minded, honing-missile like intention of getting to the ball at all costs

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He was off the field getting treatment 2 minutes later, then tried to continue before it was evident he couldn’t when he lost Haaland for the 3rd, but don’t let facts get into the way of your agenda.

The first bad match/injury he’s had in a while and you are here piping up, while playing the missing act up til now, predictable.
My agenda? What agenda. I would call out any player who lied there like that. Get up and try. Don't just like there like you've been shot while the play is going on all around you. How is nobody else bothered by this? Oh that's right. Because it's not Maguire

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The response depends entirely on whether the injury seems like a serious one. It's why De Gea did get shit for when he did it last season as it was obviously not a serious injury and he was just playing for the ref, whereas Varane's appeared (in real time, in the replay, and in the aftermath when he ended up having to be subbed) to be a very painful and potentially serious injury.

Now, I do agree with you that if it were Maguire he would be getting more criticism as people would have allowed their dislike of him to effect their judgement. It's unfortunate, and in that case they would have been wrong. Just like you are now.
I don't doubt for a second that it was very painful or that he's injured. It's Varane. he was born injured. But you still try. Don't lie there with your head in your hands not looking at anything waiting for the ref to blow the whistle. At least try. Ifyou can't do it, then fine. But at least try

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You really need to stop bullying Varane.
Wow...somebody is just a wee bit obsessed. Get a life mate. As for Varane. I'm not bullying. I'm saying he should get up. You see, unlike you, I call it how I see it, not how Goldbridge tells me to see it. I have clearly stated several times that Varane should be our starting central defender. no agenda here and no bullying. All I'm saying is that he should get up. If you think that's bullying then you need to check yourself. Nice try though

acnumber9

Wow...somebody is just a wee bit obsessed. Get a life mate. As for Varane. I'm not bullying. I'm saying he should get up. You see, unlike you, I call it how I see it, not how Goldbridge tells me to see it.
I doubt you see the irony in this post. I’ve never seen anybody mention Mark Goldbridge as much in my life.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don't doubt for a second that it was very painful or that he's injured. It's Varane. he was born injured. But you still try. Don't lie there with your head in your hands not looking at anything waiting for the ref to blow the whistle. At least try. Ifyou can't do it, then fine. But at least try
As others have said, it would have been pointless at best to play on and at worst it could have caused problems for his teammates. Ignoring the chances of causing himself further injury, having a player unable to function and hobbling around makes things harder for his own team, making it more difficult to organise the backline, stay in shape and do anything really. He could have easily gone down again and made holding a line impossible.

Varane did nothing wrong

Nah, it clearly wasn't a head injury or a serious injury that would have forced the ref into blowing, and City were in your third and getting at goal, and to top it off it's a derby game. Nothing cnutish about it. Can understand frustration towards it but any team in the league would do the exact same.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

My agenda? What agenda. I would call out any player who lied there like that. Get up and try. Don't just like there like you've been shot while the play is going on all around you. How is nobody else bothered by this? Oh that's right. Because it's not Maguire
And what would that achieve? So he had to be helped off the field by physios and was unable to come back for several minutes later, but trying to stay on his feet with excruciating pain, potentially aggravating the injury and be out for a long time just to appease SadlerMUFC’s notion of machismo is the right course of action, obviously.

And your agenda is clear for all to see, going by your last sentence. Plenty of people, including myself, defended De Gea after his incident in the Arse game last year, believe it or not, there’s more to supporting Utd than bickering about Harry Maguire and Mark Goldbridge.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
And potentially make the injury worse? Perhaps turn what would have been a couple of games on the sideline to a couple of months? And as others have mentioned, while hobbling around you're probably making it more difficult for your teammates to know what positions to defend.

If someone was obviously exaggerating the injury and just looking for sympathy and trying to get the ref to stop play, I'd be all for giving them shit. Bruno and Rashford regularly do it and it pisses me off every time, as did De Gea last season. If your comments were about any of those incidents I'd be absolutely agreeing with you, and same if Varane's injury seemed to be similar to that. But if it's a more serious injury then no, especially if it's to an ankle or knee. Priority is to protect that injury from becoming worse.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
And potentially make the injury worse? Perhaps turn what would have been a couple of games on the sideline to a couple of months? And as others have mentioned, while hobbling around you're probably making it more difficult for your teammates to know what positions to defend.

If someone was obviously exaggerating the injury and just looking for sympathy and trying to get the ref to stop play, I'd be all for giving them shit. Bruno and Rashford regularly do it and it pisses me off every time, as did De Gea last season. If your comments were about any of those incidents I'd be absolutely agreeing with you, and same if Varane's injury seemed to be similar to that. But if it's a more serious injury then no, especially if it's to an ankle or knee. Priority is to protect that injury from becoming worse.
Had Varane went straight off and not tried to carry on I might be a little more sympathetic. The fact that he got up shortly after the whistle was blown, walked off the field and then tried to continue on pissed me off. If you can do that, then you can get up and try and help your team. BTW...thank you for not being a dick in your reply. it's ok if you don't agree with me or if i don't agree with you. This is something so many people here have to learn so thank you for being respectful in your reply...

A-man

One of the big issues that we have specifically is that our GK is very weak (physically and mentally) and doesn't leave his line to claim crosses or corner-kicks.

What this means is that the opponents can stick the ball right into the most dangerous area i.e. right on top of the 6-yard box, knowing that the goalkeeper won't come and claim the cross.

It also doesn't help that we have several players who I would describe in-line with the old 'Football Manager 2007' line - "lacks the physical and mental capacity to ever be a real threat in the air".

There's far more to being a good defensive/attacking header than just being tall and reasonably strong. You have to want to go and win the header. Many players don't *really* want to win it. They'll head it if the ball lands on their head, but they don't have that single-minded, honing-missile like intention of getting to the ball at all costs
I fully agree that our glued-to-the-line goalkeeper doesnt exactly help. I suppose if he was more dominant, you could move out the big guys a little, for the opponents to face them further from the goal.

What i was thinking, it seems as “tiny guy tracking and hindering the big attackers run” is a poorly developed skill in our and maybe many teams. I went through and analysed every set piece goal we conceded one season ago, and it was almost never any of the CBs who lost an aerial, instead the little guys couldnt stop the runners. It feels to me as this is an important area for improvement. Also i might question why Eriksen tracked Haaland. Eriksen has showed poor defensive understanding many times, and often has problems with both tracking players and positioning in defending in open play. He might not be the most suitable to take care of their main threat. (Now it seems, according EtH, that Eriksen was not the one who should have done it)

Lentwood

I fully agree that our glued-to-the-line goalkeeper doesnt exactly help. I suppose if he was more dominant, you could move out the big guys a little, for the opponents to face them further from the goal.

What i was thinking, it seems as “tiny guy tracking and hindering the big attackers run” is a poorly developed skill in our and maybe many teams. I went through and analysed every set piece goal we conceded one season ago, and it was almost never any of the CBs who lost an aerial, instead the little guys couldnt stop the runners. It feels to me as this is an important area for improvement. Also i might question why Eriksen tracked Haaland. Eriksen has showed poor defensive understanding many times, and often has problems with both tracking players and positioning in defending in open play. He might not be the most suitable to take care of their main threat. (Now it seems, according EtH, that Eriksen was not the one who should have done it)
Interesting, nice idea going back through last seasons' set-pieces...I like to do a bit of analysis from time-to-time but that's commitment!

To be honest, it shouldn't be too much to ask for ANY player in our team to be able to act as a blocker. Your job is literally just to get in the way. Stand on your opponents feet, move into their path just as they start their run, nudge them in the opposite direction just before they move...there's tonnes of things you can do.

I am 6ft 2" and 93KG so when and if I was man-marking an opponent I used to love the old 'step across them innocently' just as they make their move. If someone bigger and heavier does that to you right at the start of your movement you're momentum is completely checked and you'll never give away a penalty because you haven't raised your arms at all. That will get you a few kicks/elbows playing in places like Hull and East Manchester though :p

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Insulting another member
Took all of about 8 seconds. Just showing you up for the hypocrite you are.
All you're showing is how much of an idiot you are. If you really think that me saying Varane, a player that I like, should get up and try to help the team, is me bullying him, then you are a fool. Are you really comparing that to the abuse that Maguire gets? Give your head a massive shake

acnumber9

All you're showing is how much of an idiot you are. If you really think that me saying Varane, a player that I like, should get up and try to help the team, is me bullying him, then you are a fool. Are you really comparing that to the abuse that Maguire gets? Give your head a massive shake
You haven’t said a single positive thing about Varane in this thread. You didn’t just say he should get up and help his team. You intimated he was a pussy who was acting like he’d been shot. You’re a clown.

LordSpud

Let me get this back on track by saying it is now clear as day how much we need Varane. The man gets injured at 1-0 at the weekend before being subbed after 2 more goals, then we concede 3 more. Then last night we dont have the brains to think about leaving just Malacia on his own (not helped by Sancho by the way) and we concede 2 goals to this Cypriot team.

Hurry up and get fit again Varane!

A-man

Interesting, nice idea going back through last seasons' set-pieces...I like to do a bit of analysis from time-to-time but that's commitment!

To be honest, it shouldn't be too much to ask for ANY player in our team to be able to act as a blocker. Your job is literally just to get in the way. Stand on your opponents feet, move into their path just as they start their run, nudge them in the opposite direction just before they move...there's tonnes of things you can do.

I am 6ft 2" and 93KG so when and if I was man-marking an opponent I used to love the old 'step across them innocently' just as they make their move. If someone bigger and heavier does that to you right at the start of your movement you're momentum is completely checked and you'll never give away a penalty because you haven't raised your arms at all. That will get you a few kicks/elbows playing in places like Hull and East Manchester though :p
It was interesting and but it took some time… It wasn’t last season but the one before where we conceded many set pieces goals. The most interesting things I found were:
Most goals from feet, not headers, however many goals came after losing an aerial which went to someone who tapped it in with his foot.
The main blame was basically never the same player twice in the around 10 set pieces I looked at, and I concluded it was mainly due to poor organisation. Except that DDG made some howlers plus was quite passive at times.

I understand it shouldn’t be to much to ask for, but still, could be a low hanging fruit to train the trackers a little extra.

Good to hear you survived Hull :D

Red71

Heh, you sound like a couple of lads I used to play with in our Sunday League…proper bruisers! Back in the black and white days when I actually used to play, we never marked space. In fact, I’m against zonal marking although I thought your explanation was really interesting and makes some sense. I much prefer man marking. We used to try and match up and if your guy beat you to a header, that was completely on you…which I kind of liked.

I was nowhere near your height i.e. a bit of a shorthouse whenever I was switched from CDM to CB and although I had a decent spring, which got me out of jail a fair bit, you still had to go up against bigger fellas. You might not win the ball but as long as they didn’t get a free header, job done!

I often think when I watch United these days that (i) we’re too soft (generally) and (ii) there are far too few of our players that are capable of matching up against someone from the oppo and winning their “dual”.

That is one of the things I love (loved) about football. It is a team game but within that, you have got to win your battles! We’d be a damn sight more successful if we did!

Anyway, this is Varane’s thread and I digress…

El Jefe

That might be one of the best late game CB substitutions I've seen in a while. Normally they are pointless subs to waste time but Varane basically stopped us from conceding in the last 3mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.